Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Level 03: Titles from other publishers, comic books in general and anything comic-related that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
das_boot

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by das_boot » 03 Jan 2013, 04:32

She didn't, that was the entire point. Anya was approached by D'Hoffryn and offered the opportunity to become a Justice Demon again after her powers were stripped at the end of 'The Wish'. So now there's the 2000 year old ex-demon ex-human demon again...Did you not find yourself rooting for Willow in the Buffy vs Willow smack down though? I know I did.  

Polaris

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by Polaris » 03 Jan 2013, 05:35

Oh, sweet jesus, Buffy vs. Willow was one of my favorite moments in Buffy history. I love when Buffy gets the sh*t beat out of her.

Also, Anya? She was only 1120 in The Wish. Meaning in Season 7, she was 1124. Get your Anya trivia right.

XtremeOne1

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by XtremeOne1 » 03 Jan 2013, 09:23

Them fighting words!Ergh I hated the whole Anya/Xander plot...I never really forgave Xander for it. First he cheats on Cordy, breaks heart and then he breaks Anya's heart. Eff you Xander Harris! I was never a fan of season six and I'm still not...I don't like Buffy/Spike, and I'm not a big Tara fan so her death wasn't so sad for me....I found Amber Benson to be a HORRIBLE actress. But I always like when Willow goes badass, even if it's badassly evil :)

XtremeOne12013-01-03 09:24:08

sixhoursoflucy

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by sixhoursoflucy » 03 Jan 2013, 15:11

I understand not liking Tara. Her character only seemed to exist to provoke changes in Willow; she was never really her own, independent person. Still, even from that perspective, her death made me sad for Willow. Thanks for the clarification, das_boot. I really liked the character of Halfrek as well, because she was such a passive-aggressive frenemy bitch to Anya.

das_boot

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by das_boot » 03 Jan 2013, 16:20

I know. Halfrek reminds me of you. And sorry Polaris. In my defence I was half asleep when I wrote that. Anya's the stand out character of the series for me, and XTreme, I disagree with you about Tara. I think she was also there to act as confidante to Buffy and as a 'more stable than everyone else' influence on Whinge-Face McGee (Dawn). She was the only one that Buffy confessed to feeling like she'd come back 'wrong', she gave some quality sass to Spike when he was making Buffy's birthday uncomfortable (Bitch needs to STOP CELEBRATING sh*t.), and stood up to Anya when she was going crazy mental face. Not only that, but she was one of the few characters in that season that didn't wear the "I'm an utter arsecandle" hat at some point or another. Buffy was just a bitch (for a change of pace), Xander left Anya at the altar, Anya boinked Spike, Spike tried to rape Buffy, Dawn's mouth was open and sound came out, Willow became a junky and essentially "cheated" on Tara with magic, and Giles was an absentee father-figure. Tara was the only one who DIDN'T go off the rails and who was always there for Dawn, or Buffy, or even Anya. In a very real sense, she became the character who attempted to bring the most stability to her friends and in the end, her death could ONLY mean that everyone started to lose their sh*t. Although I kind of wished that Dawn had been bisected by those mud monsters.

EvilMonkeyPope

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 03 Jan 2013, 17:06

Season 6 is massively underrated in my book. I loved that it exuded that existenstial dread that you get after finishing school & thinking that's when your life will finally pick up only to have it be smothered by real life problems. I really enjoyed the Trio as surprisingly effective foes. Buffy's resurrection kicking her out of Heaven was a great twist. Buffy & Spike's fling was toxic to both of them. Evil Willow is always fun (even if being addicted to magic was really goofy). It gave us a musical & an amnesia episode. Most importantly, there was no Rilely!

sixhoursoflucy

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by sixhoursoflucy » 03 Jan 2013, 17:31

[QUOTE=das_boot]I know. Halfrek reminds me of you.[/QUOTE]SPEAKING of passive-aggressive...@ EMP - I liked the Trio too, but I also like that Whedon had enough sense to realize they weren't serious enough to warrant a real season-ending big bad, and instead used them to catalyze Willow's transformation into the finale's true villain. It reminded me very much of Mastermind paving the way for Dark Phoenix.

das_boot

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by das_boot » 03 Jan 2013, 17:37

[QUOTE=sixhoursoflucy]

[QUOTE=das_boot]I know. Halfrek reminds me of you.[/QUOTE]SPEAKING of passive-aggressive...[/QUOTE]

I didn't know there was anything passive about that comment. It was all aggression.

sixhoursoflucy

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by sixhoursoflucy » 06 Jan 2013, 02:57

[QUOTE=Polaris]You have so much more Anya to know. "Selfless" is such a wonderful episode from season 7. [/QUOTE]Just watched "Selfless." In season six, I was sort of ambivalent about the Buffy vs. Dark Willow fight, but in the fight between Anya and Buffy, I was DEFINITELY pulling for Anya. I don't think I would have kept watching the show had she died! Anyway, I loved the throwbacks to her pre-vengeance demon days, her involvement with the Russian Revolution (who would've guessed that Anya was once a Communist sympathizer?), and the reprise of the musical episode. Great stuff. By season seven they're bleeding good characters fast, so I'm relieved Anya will get to stick around. Poor Halfrek, but whatever, I'm glad it was her instead of Anya.

XtremeOne1

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by XtremeOne1 » 06 Jan 2013, 12:45

Haha Anya was basically my main reason for sticking around in seven season! I'm rewatching Buffy now. Starting at a mid-point in season two(as apparently that's where I left off on Netflix)..Buffy's about to get laid, Angel's about to lose his soul...good stuff.

sixhoursoflucy

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by sixhoursoflucy » 08 Jan 2013, 02:13

Oh! Something else I found interesting: "Selfless" was the first episode written by Drew Goddard, director of last year's Cabin in the Woods (and incidentally my favorite film of 2012).Also, regarding the title sequence, can anyone identify what episodes the clips of the girl running frantically through the graveyard, and of Spike posing for cameras, are from? Those two clips have always confounded me.

Kipe

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by Kipe » 08 Jan 2013, 02:58

Spike posing for photos is from the 4th Season episode where Jonathan uses a spell to rewrite reality so that he is a famous hero/spy/everything. I believe it was called "Superstar".

sixhoursoflucy

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by sixhoursoflucy » 08 Jan 2013, 19:10

Thanks, Kipe. I remember that episode, but not that particular scene. I assume the flailing girl in the graveyard is Dawn, but just can't identify the source. Anyway, I watched "Conversations with Dead People" last night—GREAT episode! This might be the first and only episode of Buffy that genuinely creeped me out. From Joyce's pounding twice to indicate she wasn't alone, to Willow's conversation with "Cassie," to Cassie's facial expression after she's revealed where her mouth goes all Fright Night... wow. I got chills several times. Willow's conversation with "Cassie" was great overall (I assume that's the First everyone keeps talking about), but the highlight of the episode was Buffy's conversation with the psych-school vampire.

das_boot

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by das_boot » 08 Jan 2013, 19:34

I want to re watch that episode now. The Joyce bit creeped me out. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that Whedon wanted it to be totally ambiguous as to whether it was actually her or someone trying to mess with Dawn. But yeah, chills at the double knock.

Polaris

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by Polaris » 08 Jan 2013, 20:16

I LOOOOVED Halfrek. Emme Caulfield and Kali Rocha later teamed up in the semi-sci-fi Dramedy "Timer", which was a good movie for something so... "cutesy".

"Conversations with Dead People" was one of my favorite episodes. Cassie was played by Azura Skye, who I've been endeared to since "Zoe, Duncan, Jack, and Jane," a terrible, terrible sitcom that I absolutely loved when it aired on TV in the 90's. I've never seen it since, but I was all about it. She was also great in that famous Sandra Bullock rehab movie, "28 Days."

Anyway... I was really sad that they didn't bring Amber in after the big reveal, and The First appeared as someone Willow never met. However, Amber Benson said given that Tara was basically the epitome of "good" and "innocent", she didn't want fans to be so upset that The First was using Tara's image. I thought that was interesting. And I appreciate that they brought "Cassie" back anyway. Azura Skye needs more roles.

Kipe

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by Kipe » 08 Jan 2013, 20:24

I heart Azura Skye as well. I believe that Amber was also filming one of her own indie projects at the time and scheduling conflicts were also a factor in her non-return in season seven.

Gremlin

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by Gremlin » 09 Jan 2013, 09:11

Amber Benson said she didn't want to return in "Conversations with dead people" because she got to go out on a high so to speak. Having Tara return and be "evil" in a way would have dirtied the memory. I have no doubt a bit of scheduling conflict also contributed to her absence but I am sure she could have made it work. I did find it odd at the time given at that point Tara was one of the big name dead characters.

EvilMonkeyPope

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 09 Jan 2013, 16:38

Amber missed the point that The First would be mindfrakking with Willow (& viewers). Not having The First defile her memories of Tara makes the situation far less gutwrenching & makes The First look less competent by missing an easy weapon against Willow. Joss should've put his foot down since her objections just seem like actress vanity.

Kipe

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by Kipe » 09 Jan 2013, 17:08

[QUOTE=EvilMonkeyPope]

Amber missed the point that The First would be mindfrakking with Willow (& viewers). Not having The First defile her memories of Tara makes the situation far less gutwrenching & makes The First look less competent by missing an easy weapon against Willow. Joss should've put his foot down since her objections just seem like actress vanity.[/QUOTE]

Joss put his foot down? Was he going to tie her to a chair, make her say the lines at knife point, and then only film a head shot and cgi the rest of the scene in?

Not making fun of you EMP, that's just the image that came to mind.

EvilMonkeyPope

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 09 Jan 2013, 19:59

Yes, he should've violated laws against involuntary servitude for the greater narrative good.

das_boot

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by das_boot » 09 Jan 2013, 22:26

[QUOTE=EvilMonkeyPope]

Yes, he should've violated laws against involuntary servitude for the greater narrative good.[/QUOTE]WORD. Although I do also think that it actually added to the 'mind-frakking' by Cassie telling Willow that because of her actions at the end of the previous season, Tara COULDN'T show up. Had she not seen through the First's deception, it's like she was given a tantalising glimpse of the fact that there was an afterlife, but not able to speak directly to the person she would most want to speak to. That, in and of itself, would have probably been enough to tip Willow off the deep end again, in trying to find a way to resurrect Tara, knowing that some part of her still existed. Had the First's plan come off, and Willow was led to believe that Tara was still at least partially out there, and some part of her had survived, I think that would have been just as cruel as the First impersonating Joyce/torturing her soul in front of Dawn.

XtremeOne1

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by XtremeOne1 » 13 Jan 2013, 15:27

Ergh just finished watching Passion(the season 2 episode where Jenny dies). This has to be in my top three Buffy episodes and one of my favorite episodes of all time. It's so beautiful written and acted, everyone is so good in it. The first half pops with great one liners(Cordy, you are the Queen!) and the second is basically an emotional kick in the nuts.Poor Jenny, that's what you get for saying "I love you" in the Whedonverse.Another funny thing is that in this episode Angel breaks into Buffy's room as she she sleeps. He does this because he's an evil soulless vampire who is obsessed with destroying every aspect of her life. It's creepy. Everything about is creepy from the way it's shot to the music. Buffy finds it creepy, Cordy and Xander find it creepy. The audience find it creepy and every girl is like "wow, gotta avoid that sort of guy"Fast forward a decade and Edward breaks into Bella's house and suddenly Stephenie Meyer is saying it's romantic; the character of Bella thinks it means he loves her and girls everywhere swoon at the thought and say "Where can I find that sort of guy."This depress anyone else?PS: It's always so obvious when it's SMG's stunt double.

Polaris

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by Polaris » 13 Jan 2013, 15:39

I might be the only person who never really cared that Jenny died. I wasn't a big fan of the character when she went all gypsy on us. I didn't like the twist with her family's involvement in Angel's curse. I didn't think she SHOULD have died, but at the same time, I didn't care at all. I tried to care. I tried to like her, and care she died... but I just couldn't. Is that horrible?

And anything involving Twilight and its popularity depresses me.Polaris2013-01-13 15:39:42

das_boot

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by das_boot » 13 Jan 2013, 20:27

No, I was very ambivalent towards Jenny. I didn't hate her but I didn't love her like I loved the others at that point...

Blackcyclops

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Jan 2013, 20:39

Buffy managed to not celebrate creepy-stalker super gut. I've been watchibg Roswell and well Max is borderline Edward Cullen. And my menory is sh***y but so was Clark on Smallville. Hopefully Olivier on Arrow never takes that route.