Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Valuable comics

Level 03: Titles from other publishers, comic books in general and anything comic-related that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
manuel_mc89

Valuable comics

Post by manuel_mc89 » 22 May 2021, 00:52

So, It has come to my attention that perhaps X-23 is at least my top 3 favorite comic character, because I have most of her comic appearances, so I wanted to buy her first appearance in NYX 3, and that comic is selling from at least a hundred dollars and it got me thinking.

Should I buy it, I like her enough that I could have a "valuable" comic from.her first appearance, but what do you guys think about the whole speculation market?

Do you guys have any valuable comic? Do you recommend buying one or it is perhaps a bad investment, given that I don't plan on selling it at any point and perhaps I should just buy the trade.

I mean, nothing is Imposible, but I doubt that a comic from the 2000's will end up being valued at the thousands, like the ones from the golden age.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Nu-D

Re: Valuable comics

Post by Nu-D » 22 May 2021, 23:57

I owned some comics which back in the day were valued by Overstreet at more than $100. But along came the internet and everyone put their comics on eBay, and the market for semi-rare back issues evaporated. I ended up selling my collection in bulk.

My advice, spend the money if it’s worth it to you to own the comic. But don’t expect that you’ll be able to sell it at the same price or more later. If you are thinking of it as an investment, that’s a mistake. If you’re thinking of it as a cherished personal possession, that’s how to determine it’s value to you.

FWIW, I see a copy of NYX #3 on eBay right now for $40 plus shipping. Might not be mint condition though.
He/him/his

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 23 May 2021, 03:46

The most valuable comic I think I've ever owned was Cap Britain Vol1. #1. I got it off a second hand stall who used to do a flat rate of 50p per comic, or 5 for £2, which I did the latter as I always used to do bundles, some of which were short 2-3 issue runs of the same title, such as the FotM issues of X-Factor, but mostly odd issues of 80s/early 90s FF or Avengers, but also oddities such as Nomad or Quasar (that period was a weird time for who managed to hold down solo runs). Because of its age and inflation, I'd actually paid 4 times the cover price for CB#1, but I thought it was good value.

That's recently gone for a couple of grand(!) In dollars and even low grading is in the hundreds of dollars, but I honestly don't even know if I still have it. I must have been between 14 and 16 at the time, and whilst I knew it had a better vintage and probably more collectable than most stuff I picked up from that place I didn't put any additional thought into keeping it safe, so it would've gone into the odd comics ottoman with little forward thinking.

Conversely I remember paying premiums for some issues that were supposedly "collectable" from the 90s in my LCS, like X-Force 1 with the trading card included or foil print covers.

Now, comics for me are always about the reading and I have no real interest in collecting single issues anymore. It's why I read trades rather than single issues, single issues are a pain to store and keep track of compared to trades which are a bit more "resilient".

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 28 May 2021, 00:38

Thank you guys for your input. By the way, I checked again and it's like in the thousands now.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Jindianajonz

Post by Jindianajonz » 30 May 2021, 00:10

I've built an almost compete collection of all things x from 1963 to 2012 (only notable omissions are the reprint era before Claremont and a few odd mini series and one shots here and there) and I'd say get it if you really like it, but invest in a lower grade copy if you want to read it. You're only going to bring the value down.

My copy of Uncanny 1 has a few chunks torn out in ways that don't affect the story and my giant size 1 has a detached cover, and it doesn't bother me at all. I'm just happy I can read them in their original form. The only ones I regret are some Proteus saga issues with water damage that smelled really musty (I replaced those) and the early Claremont\Cockrum run I bought came from a kid who colored in Ororo and Logan's pupils in every issue. Aside from that, as long as it's readable the stains\tears\etc don't bother me much.

BardicOne

Post by BardicOne » 30 May 2021, 02:31

I don't think I own anything truly valuable. On a relative scale... probably X-Factor 1.
Formerly Known As RingOtaku
posting vlogs and game streams at: https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 30 May 2021, 05:12

I do own NYX 3 - I got it in a bargain bin for a quarter I think hehe.

I own Rogue's first appearance but I think it's only worth $30-40.
Avengers Generations: Captain America | Rogue | Red Wolf | Shang Chi | Brawn | Storm | Stingray | Iron Man | Nova | Makkari |

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 01 Jun 2021, 01:28

Jindianajonz wrote:
30 May 2021, 00:10
I've built an almost compete collection of all things x from 1963 to 2012 (only notable omissions are the reprint era before Claremont and a few odd mini series and one shots here and there) and I'd say get it if you really like it, but invest in a lower grade copy if you want to read it. You're only going to bring the value down.

My copy of Uncanny 1 has a few chunks torn out in ways that don't affect the story and my giant size 1 has a detached cover, and it doesn't bother me at all. I'm just happy I can read them in their original form. The only ones I regret are some Proteus saga issues with water damage that smelled really musty (I replaced those) and the early Claremont\Cockrum run I bought came from a kid who colored in Ororo and Logan's pupils in every issue. Aside from that, as long as it's readable the stains\tears\etc don't bother me much.
I like this guy/gal/whoever ^^^

To me, it was all about the reading experience. I considered my complete run of Classic X-Men a perfectly adequate substitute for the original Uncanny issues; superior even, since they had additional material and were tuned up to fit continuity better. In the pre-digital age, I wanted to be able to pull any X-Men story out of the box on my shelf. It didn’t matter if it was a reprint, a second printing, or a damaged-but-readable copy. So long as I had the story to read at will, I was satisfied.

Of course, I certainly would “upgrade” a very damaged issue or a second print run or whatever if the opportunity presented itself. But if I was looking at two issues for the same price, and one was an upgrade while the other filled a hole in my collection, I always picked the latter.
He/him/his