Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Humble Bundle: The Wicked + The Divine

Level 03: Titles from other publishers, comic books in general and anything comic-related that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
tokenBG1009

Humble Bundle: The Wicked + The Divine

Post by tokenBG1009 » 01 Oct 2020, 15:37

For those interested, you can pick up a digital every issue of The Wicked + The Divine for $20 on Humble Bundle. If you enjoyed Gillen & McKelvie on Young Avengers it's a great deal. There are a few more books in here by Gillen as well so if you enjoy his work it's an even better value.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/kier ... content=en

You can download the books to your phone or computer and use programs/apps like CDisplayEX to read them. It's not as good as the Comixology app, but a decent alternative.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Spectral Knight

Re: Humble Bundle: The Wicked + The Divine

Post by Spectral Knight » 02 Oct 2020, 08:19

Oooh, Phonogram Vol.1's on the list of inclusions. If I didn't have it already, and it wasn't one my all-time favourite books, I'd definitely be buying it. So you should too. :D

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 02 Oct 2020, 15:59

At the $20 price I think all of Phonogram is included. I think, at least, up to Vol 3
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 02 Oct 2020, 16:38

That is ALL of Phonogram. For some reason, a series focusing on magicians empowered by pop music never really found a big enough fan base to support it long-term. It's definitely due a tie-in with TW&TD though.

(Singles Club is fun - but less of an all-encompassing story - whilst The Immaterial Girl is brilliant story telling, but not really as aligned with my musical taste. Vol.1 is right up my musical alley though, focusing on Britpop / non-Britpop 90's guitar-based music - the lead character's a massive Manics fan, much like myself, and where they fall in with the Britpop movement is really up for debate).

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 02 Oct 2020, 22:30

I have a confession to make, to me and to others, i am a huge fan of McKelvie and Gillen and so i have all of Phonogram, both in physycal and in Comixology, BUT, i dont know if i am smart enough to either completely understand all that its trying to say, or to discern that its just pretentious and it tries to appear deeper than it is, or if its just very british and very Gen X and i am neither, so something is missing for me.

But also, i adore the concept of music being magic and i believe that The Singles Club does a better job at explaining it and make you feel it. Actually, i think that all of Dua Lipa's last album "Future Nostalgia" would be wonderful for a phonomancer, and particuarly the video for Physical is like watching her be one/be Penny B.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HDEHj2yzew

Regarding The Wicked and The Divine ias really, really into it, but then it started to feel to pretentious to me so i dropped it but im meaning to find out how it ended, hope it was good.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 03 Oct 2020, 08:39

I think Rue Britannia is a much harder book to follow if you're not into that scene. I first got into it from a nostalgia perspective and it was the first comic that ever dived into that cultural scene, so for me it was great. I'm not sure if it's Generation X or Generation Y or on the border between them, but for me (a child of the mid 80s), Britpop was the first ever 'scene' that I was aware of and lived through. Even though I was probably a little young to appreciate at the time, my brother who was four years older was all over it, so I absorbed it completely and it's still much of my musical grounding.

I'd agree it's a little pretentious - but there's almost an element of satire at the pretentiousness of scenesters, but yeah, it's definitely VERY British.

I'm so behind on TW&TD - only completed vol.1 and 2 so far, but definitely one I'll keep reading, just at timely leisure.

I would love to see historical volumes too - a hippy-set or Punk/Post-Punk set book would be great. Just imagining a book set in Manchester or the NW covering '76 to the mid-80s would be an unbelievable story.