Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Digital comics

Level 03: Titles from other publishers, comic books in general and anything comic-related that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
Spectral Knight

Re: Digital comics

Post by Spectral Knight » 30 Sep 2019, 02:14

Agreed, Nu-D. I have the same challenge. I've really struggled to keep up with which books are the primary team books for a few years now. I've tried to keep up by picking up the main event collections, but even that can lead you into a blind alley at times in terms of understanding which team members are on what roster etc.

I personally don't get the constant restarts / relaunches, it would be much easier if they just debuted a new roster in existing titles (with existing numbering) on each overhaul, as at least that would be easier to track for irregular readers, whilst not making a difference for those buying every single issue as they're released.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 30 Sep 2019, 06:59

I don’t even see the issue there.

Outside of maybe, just maybe, the X-Men books. There’s only been 1 Avengers book for like 7 years since Bendis left until recently with Savage Avengers, which I’d assume the “savage” denotes something (oh I guess New Avengers during the Hickman years but they both were “primary”), 1 Fantastic Four book, and I guess those are the only “primary” team books (you’ve had 1 Champions book, 1 Thunderbolts book, etc). And even the word primary feels weird like as long as it’s in continuity the book should be considered primary.

I mean maybe I’m biased because I do read weekly but I’ve always thought the whole thing is overblown just because its different than what people are used to. It didn’t take any extra effort to know which two Avengers books Hickman was writing back then. The only person who ever confused me was Spider-man and Batman but they’ve had multiple books running concurrently since the 1970s and I just chalk that up lol...it’s kinda like how alot of Americans were at first confused by British TV show going by series instead of season.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 30 Sep 2019, 08:24

I was mostly referring the X-Men titles, BC. What I meant by Primary was the core X-titles... sure all books are canon, but imagine I was happy enough to ignore the spin-offs, and I was asked what were the flagship X-Men titles over the last five or six years, I'd really struggle to give an answer. I don't know whether Adjectiveless was meant to be a flagship or not, was Extraordinary? Zero idea.
I also think there's not enough time given to the spin-offs now either- was David's X-Factor the last to hit a 5 year run? Everything feels a bit like a maxi-series rather than an ongoing.

In contrast, I think with Slott's run, Spiderman was much easier to follow, even dipping in and out of huge chunks - though obviously, being a solo hero, it's easier to maintain a sense of continuity.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 30 Sep 2019, 10:47

It’s a problem for those of us who read trades and back issues and don’t keep track of what’s published when.

I don’t know what to buy if I want to read the stories right before Hickman’s run.
It can’t be figured out just by looking at the covers. It often cant be figured out by looking at the description of he issues on Amazon. I need to search for a separate published guide to figure out what comics come before others. They might as well put no numbers on the cover at all.

I was reading KellySue Deconnick’s CM run. I bought the first trade Labeled vol.1 at the LCS. When I went to Amazon to buy the second trade, there were two book of that title, by that author, labeled v.2. I couldn’t ascertain which one continued the story I had already been reading. I didn”t have v.1 handy to figure out the year of publication (which isn’t even printed on it anyhow). I guessed wrong and bought the wrong book.

How is that not a problem?

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 30 Sep 2019, 13:57

This may be a controversial thought, and I'm not trying to be condescending, as I realize some people don't have access to this solution for whatever reason, BUT part of the appeal of physically going into the LCS is that they have helpful staff who can help you track down exactly what you need in singles or trades, plus you can make sure you are getting what you want before you leave the store. I generally try to buy all my comics from a brick and mortar store, because it helps them out and in return I get the best possible customer service.

I'm sure I'm sticking my foot in my mouth because NuD probably lives 100 miles from the nearest comics store or whatever, but I'm just throwing it out there.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 30 Sep 2019, 14:56

haha yeah but my LCS SUUUUUCKS. THey don't know the product and couldn't maintain a pullbox to save their lives.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 30 Sep 2019, 14:58

RingOtaku wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 14:56
haha yeah but my LCS SUUUUUCKS. THey don't know the product and couldn't maintain a pullbox to save their lives.
Ahh well yeh, there's the rub. I've been blessed with living near some excellent shops in my life.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 30 Sep 2019, 16:19

I first visited my LCS to get Iron Man figures and Fleer trading cards when I was in primary school. Still visiting them, three locations and 20-odd years later.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 30 Sep 2019, 16:31

In the past I’ve had an LCS that I wanted to support. Right now, I have no particular shop, and it’s inconvenient for me to go to one. I don’t have the desire to nest in building a relationship or take time (and gasoline) to drive someplace. Plus, I don’t want paper comics cluttering up the house. I but the occasional physical trade if it’s something I might want to loan to a friend or display on a shelf. For the mass of books I just want to read, I don’t want hard copies.

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 30 Sep 2019, 18:29

Yeah, sadly, I never see myself collecting print again. I loved organizing my collection growing up but now they're all stuck in my parent's storage unit and living in an apartment in NY, collecting again is just out of the question.
Twitter: @TonyBWood

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 01 Oct 2019, 02:22

Mine sit in short boxes in the corner of my office of my apartment. I love it but I also am getting more selective about what I subscribe to.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 01 Oct 2019, 09:10

When I was a teenager I bagged and boarded my books and stuck them in a bag that sat in the corner of my closet.

Then I realized they had no real value and I left them behind. I feel bad, not so much for dumping them, but I wish I would have donated them. The only physical books I own now are the Second Coming issue where Kurt dies as I didn't actually collect the series, but wanted that one as he's a top 3 character for me, a TPB of Gen13, AvX, Spider-Verse, and... that may be it? Everything after Gen13 were when I first got back into books and thought I'd want to collect physically, but that died off and I started sailing the seven seas until I had the money to buy books.

Still, as much as I love my LCS... it doesn't really solve the issue of cost. Books are EXPENSIVE! $4 - $5 per issue when you're collecting 10 a month, and heaven forbid there's an event you need to pick up, is not cheap. Digital, if you're patient, will drop that price down considerably. I really need them to drop the physical costs of books. Go back to newspaper or something.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 01 Oct 2019, 11:50

tokenBG1009 wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 09:10
When I was a teenager I bagged and boarded my books and stuck them in a bag that sat in the corner of my closet.

Then I realized they had no real value and I left them behind. I feel bad, not so much for dumping them, but I wish I would have donated them. The only physical books I own now are the Second Coming issue where Kurt dies as I didn't actually collect the series, but wanted that one as he's a top 3 character for me, a TPB of Gen13, AvX, Spider-Verse, and... that may be it? Everything after Gen13 were when I first got back into books and thought I'd want to collect physically, but that died off and I started sailing the seven seas until I had the money to buy books.

Still, as much as I love my LCS... it doesn't really solve the issue of cost. Books are EXPENSIVE! $4 - $5 per issue when you're collecting 10 a month, and heaven forbid there's an event you need to pick up, is not cheap. Digital, if you're patient, will drop that price down considerably. I really need them to drop the physical costs of books. Go back to newspaper or something.
From 1988-1995 I collected about two-thousand floppies. Almost all were bagged, and many were boarded. While I was living at home, I had a lot of them pinned up on the walls as decorations, I owned a spinner rack which was in the corner of my bedroom, and the rest were in boxes. When I went to college In 1995, they ended up stored in my parents attic until about 2012.

I did buy another couple of large, cheap lots and some individual issues and runs between about 2005 and 2010, amounting to maybe another 500 floppies or so. I also had a collection of about 40 TPBs. Turns out, the boxes that hold 12 bottles of beer are also good boxes for storing comics, so long as you don’t want to stack them on top of one another.

In 2012 I sold ALL of the floppies in lots. Made about $1,200.00. I also sold off a few of the TPBs, but kept most of them. The only floppies I have left are David Mack’s Echo run on Daredevil, which are slotted in with a full run of the Quesada-Bendis-Maaleev trades.

I did get my hands on pirated e-copies of most of the Marvel books I had owned in print, which made it easier to part with the print copies. I’ve never really regretted making the switch. I don’t read those old books, really, I only use them for reference for discussions on this board. When I want to look something up, it’s a bit less convenient than if the paper copies were handy. But 99.999999% of the time, paper books would just be collecting dust.

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 01 Oct 2019, 14:27

When I collected trades more regularly, this is the site I used to figure out order:
https://crushingkrisis.com/crushing-com ... mic-books/

Mostly if I'm getting physical copies these days, its British stuff, last x-men trade I picked up was probably Peter David's last XFactor run. As I never really read weekly, being behind in trades/digital doesn't bother me.
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl