Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Characters that turn into different people

Level 03: Titles from other publishers, comic books in general and anything comic-related that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
LimboMaster

Characters that turn into different people

Post by LimboMaster » 13 Aug 2019, 00:10

Nu-D's recent question about the final word on the Don Blake/Thor connection in a different forum and the recent Shazam movie got me thinking about characters that transform into different beings when they are 'powered-up'. So, Blake and Thor are/were separate beings. I 'think' originally Billy Batson and Captain Marvel/Shazam were basically different people (meaning the latter was originally an adult with an adult personality while Billy was a kid with a kid's personality). I don't think this was made explicit, but rather implied by how the adult acted (though I could be wrong on this as I'm no Shazam expert). But, the modern version Shazam is definitely a kid in an adult's body so I guess that takes care of that example for present anyway.

Anyway, this got me thinking ... is Don Blake/Thor the only instance of a character whose powered up version is a completely different being?

I can think of a few examples that are similar but not really different beings:
Rick Jones - Mar-Vell/Genis-Vell (switched places so they are different people but the other's whereabouts are accounted for even when not present so it's more that two characters are connected rather than one being the hero version of the other, right?)

Bruce Banner - Hulk (transforms into Hulk but Hulk is traditionally more of an aspect of Banner not a different character, though of course they've been separated on occasion but in those instances they aren't transforming into the other ... they were just separated)

Are there other examples of the superhero being a different being than the non-powered character?

In the Thor example, what happened to Blake while Thor was out hero-ing? Presumably while Don Blake was doctoring on Earth, Thor was adventuring in parallel on Asgard. But, what was Blake doing when Thor replaced him after striking the cane to 'become' Thor? Surely he's not wandering around Asgard as a human.

Nu-D

Re: Characters that turn into different people

Post by Nu-D » 13 Aug 2019, 01:43

Interesting question. I can’t think of any others.

grief

Post by grief » 13 Aug 2019, 04:54

Dan Ketch and his Spirit of Vengeance were WRAPPED in this story-telling style for Ghost Rider vol. 2. There was actually a whole arc where Danny was trapped in the space where he exists while Ghost Rider is a-riding and Doctor Strange had to help rescue him to restore their balance.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

Cable

Post by Cable » 13 Aug 2019, 05:08

Wasn't Darkhawk in a situation like that?

Annabelle Riggs and Valkyrie for a time shared a body and switched back and forth.
Best X-Comic last week: Powers of X #2
Best non X-Comic last week: Invaders #8

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 13 Aug 2019, 07:57

I'm thinking Miracleman / Kid Miracleman?

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 13 Aug 2019, 10:00

I guess it's debatable if they are different people, or just "devolved" into beasts but your classic werewolves and lycanthropes like Man Wolf, Werewolf By Night, The Lizard, Wendigo, etc. might count.

Similarly not sure if they are really different people or not but Cal Zabo and Mr. Hyde?
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll
Avengers International Draft: France|Spectrum|Capt. Universe|Swordsman|Batroc|M|Finesse|Deadpool

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 13 Aug 2019, 11:18

El Toro Rojo was a Deviant sharing a Blake-like relationship with an autistic Mexican kid.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 13 Aug 2019, 11:30

I guess Nicole and Claudette St. Croix would count, as they merged into a copy of their older sister, Monet.
[PL_2.0]

grief

Post by grief » 14 Aug 2019, 00:33

Cable wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 05:08
Wasn't Darkhawk in a situation like that?

Annabelle Riggs and Valkyrie for a time shared a body and switched back and forth.
I actually almost mentioned Darkhawk in my post - I finished a collection of Darkhawk a few months back - but he only swapped bodies. Chris Powell was always in control, only his body swapped.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 14 Aug 2019, 17:41

Does anyone know if there has ever been an account of where Don Blake was after he struck his walking stick to 'become' Thor? Was it ever stated that he was in some limbo-esque place like Rick Jones in the Negative Zone when swapping with Mar-Vel/Genis-Vel or anything like that? Just curious if when it was established that they are actually 2 different beings if the other's whereabouts were explained.