Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Supergirl Continuity

Level 03: Titles from other publishers, comic books in general and anything comic-related that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
RingOtaku

Supergirl Continuity

Post by RingOtaku » 11 Jul 2019, 20:14

So after encountering a Supergirl while reading up on my Geoff Jones era GL (Brave and the Bold with Hal and Supergirl) and realizing I didn't know which Supergirl it was... Yeah can anyone give a brief rundown on a few plot points?

I'm Good Pre-Crisis. Matrix Post-Crisis. I think I lose it with Linda Danvers going forward. Like she was kinda sorta like Pre-Crisis but also a fire-wing Angel but then Kara came back but it wasn't the Pre-Crisis Kara but a new Kara. Like what happened to Linda? What happened to Matrix? How did they rationalize the transitions?
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Wings

Re: Supergirl Continuity

Post by Wings » 11 Jul 2019, 23:51

he Linda Danvers iteration (seen in the 1996-2003 series) was the result of a merger between Linda, an ordinary human, and the Matrix iteration of Supergirl. Matrix sacrificed herself to save Linda from mortal wounds. Matrix's selfless act resulted in the new gestalt being becoming an "Earthborn Angel". The gestalt being of Matrix/Linda retained some of Matrix's abilities--super-strength, flight, speed, and telekinetic blasts. She could also swap between her regular form and a more statuesque "Supergirl" form, though she retained her powers in both forms. In addition, her newfound status as the Earthborn Angel of Fire eventually bestowed Linda with several new abilities. She gained the ability to shoot fire from her eyes (dubbed "Flame Vision), form angelic wings composed of flame and use these wings to create flaming portals to travel large distances.

After some time, Matrix and Linda were separated in battle. Linda retained roughly half of the strength and invulnerability she had had while she was merged with Matrix and could leap 1/8 of a mile in a single jump, but lost the rest of her abilities. While searching for Matrix with the aid of her demonic ex-boyfriend Buzz and Mary Marvel, Linda took to wearing a new costume, with the same design as that of Supergirl in Superman: The Animated Series.

Linda eventually located Matrix and requested she merge with a being known as Twilight. This new gestalt of Twilight and Matrix became the new Angel of Fire, while Linda regained all the abilities she had gained upon her initial merger with Matrix, and the mantle of Supergirl now rested on her shoulders alone.

To further complicate matters, Linda then had an encounter with the Pre-Crisis version of Supergirl. She swapped places in the time stream with Kara Zor-El in order to give the younger woman a chance at life rather than dying during Crisis of Infinite Earths. Eventually the two women were forced to return to their proper points in time anyways. Linda agreed to this on the condition that the daughter she had had in Kara's timeline was spared from non-existence. Linda decided to give up the mantle of Supergirl due to the trauma of these events, leaving Superman and Lois a letter explaining her decision. A couple of years later, Linda was sent to Hell for reasons unexplained, appearing in Reign of Hell.

Cir-El, the apparent daughter of Clark Kent and Lois Lane, travelled from the future using the Supergirl moniker. Eventually revealed as a "Trojan Horse" of a future Braniac's devising to kill Superman, she attempted to foil Braniac's plan by erasing herself from existence. She later returned and teamed up with various iterations of Supergirl to save Superman from being trapped in the Source Wall.

In 2004, a Post-Crisis version of Kara Zor-El made her appearance. Sent from Krypton as a teenager, her ship was knocked off course by a Kryptonite asteroid and as such she spent years in suspended animation before her arrival on Earth. After meeting her cousin, Superman, she is introduced by him to the rest of the superhero community and takes the mantle of Supergirl. Her costume was similar to the Silver Age Supergirl costume aside from a bare midriff and a shorter blue skirt. She joins the Legion of Super-Heroes and the Teen Titans, dates Power Boy, becomes besties with Stephanie Brown and is forced into conflict with her own family during the New Krypton arc. She also teams up with Pre-Crisis Supergirl, Linda Danvers, and Cir-El to save her cousin from being trapped in the Source Wall. She continues to operate as Supergirl until Flashpoint.

Post Flashpoint, enter a New 52 version of Kara Zor-El a.k.a. Supergirl. After several encounters with Superman, Superboy (Kon-El) and other Earth heroes, she becomes a Red Lantern for a time. She also encounters and battles her father Zor-El who has become a cyborg (The Cyborg Superman).

During DC Rebirth, Kara begins working with the DEO in National City, while also attending school and living with adoptive parents Eliza and Jeremiah Danvers while also juggling an internship at Cat Grant's CATCO.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 12 Jul 2019, 01:14

........ So whatever happened to Matrix/Twilight? Wasn't Reign of Hell criticized for having various continuity gaffes?

I'm ignorining New 52 Kara because I hate that era of DC writing.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Wings

Post by Wings » 12 Jul 2019, 07:56

Matrix/Twilight wasn't seen again after that as far as I'm aware.

And yeah, Reign of Hell had Linda manifesting the Angel of Fire powers, which I don't believe she should have had access to, but the story did involve Hell so perhaps those abilities were simply lying dormant until they were needed.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031