Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Lone Wolf and Cub

Level 03: Titles from other publishers, comic books in general and anything comic-related that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
Cable

Lone Wolf and Cub

Post by Cable » 03 Apr 2016, 23:44

I've heard alot of praise for this (for example I believe Frank Miller said it is the best comic he has read) and it looks similar to Rurouni Kenshin which I loved so I am thinking of trying this. Has anyone read any of it and would you recommend?
Best X-Comic last week: Powers of X #2
Best non X-Comic last week: Invaders #8

Cyke

Re: Lone Wolf and Cub

Post by Cyke » 04 Apr 2016, 23:45

HIGHLY recommend it.

Mind you, I've never read the Kenshin manga, just watched the anime but Lone Wolf is darker in tone and subject. If I remember right, Miller loved it partly due to how Kojima built up the atmosphere within the scenes; stark mountain scapes, mist-laden temples, quiet haunted villages and towns, all backdrops to extreme violence and action.

It's a tale of revenge and betrayal that presents an accurate portrayal of life and society during Edo-period feudal Japan. At it's heart is the strong father-son relationship of Itto and Diagoro as they are forced to travel the road of swords/assassins for hire. (Little Diagoro's roles and actions in some of these ventures are both unsettling and uplifting).

Dark Horse originally released the series in digest form which made it kinda hard to read and enjoy the art. Recently though, they re-released the series in a larger Omnibus form which allows for better enjoyment. Miller created some dynamic and great cover art for the title back in the 80s when First Comics was releasing it. I love that DH kept those covers for their volumes of reprints as well.

I would also highly recommend their follow-up manga, Samurai Executioner.
Verda Gildr- 'Become Worthy'

Cable

Post by Cable » 08 Apr 2016, 00:29

Thanks for your thoughts Cyke. I like the Samurai X parts of Kenshin where it is a bit darker so I think I would like this. And really I just love this period of Japanese history. A couple years ago I bought a three-volume history of Japan from 1300s to 1800s and devoured it. This will be a cool fictional comic supplement.
Best X-Comic last week: Powers of X #2
Best non X-Comic last week: Invaders #8

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 31 Jan 2019, 12:57

I’m interested in reading this. I can’t find an e-copy. Also, is it just a single graphic novel, or is it an ongoing with many volumes? Where do I start?

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 08 Feb 2019, 19:12

Comixology has the entire run that DH released in digest format. There are 28 volumes in that run. The first three volumes are available to download for free under their Unlimited program.
Verda Gildr- 'Become Worthy'