Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Rebellion and British Comics

Level 03: Titles from other publishers, comic books in general and anything comic-related that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
Magik84

Rebellion and British Comics

Post by Magik84 » 18 Dec 2018, 16:00

From Spectral Knight's suggestion in the "100 comics to read" thread, this is a thread for British comics recommendations.

I would say Rebellion are the biggest name over here, with 2000AD and Judge Dredd and a few years ago the bought I huge backlog of defunct company IPC/Fleetway and are currently reprinting under "Treasury of British Comics".

So background on me I started my comic reading with "Girls Comics" mostly DC Thomson stuff as I most IPC stuff had finished by time I was reading, but I sill have lot of nostalgia for the older comics,so I'll start with those recommendations first:

Treasury Line Comics:
The Leopard from Lime Street - Basically a British Spiderman, except he was scratched by a radioactive Leopard, and has abusive uncle rather than one to look up to. While interesting seeing parallels it does become it's still good in it's own right. First volume is now available, 2nd volume comes out next year.

Misty Vol. 1 Moonchild and Four Faces of Eve - if you are fan of Pat Mills then his lighter "Carrie" story is a good read, and has some great art by John Armstrong (who sadly passed away this year).

Misty Vol. 2 The Sentinels & End of the Line - Sentinels is a favourite of mine, where a girl finds herself in parallel world where nazis won the war. End of the Line has creepy Victorian people living under the London railway, not a strong ending but still quite good, both stories written by Malcolm Shaw.

Charley's War - Takes a brutal look at first world war, seen through young Charley Bourne's eyes. Has some excellent artwork too.

X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

Spectral Knight

Re: Rebellion and British Comics

Post by Spectral Knight » 18 Dec 2018, 17:21

Thanks Magik84! :D

Don't suppose you've managed to catch any of the Nemesis the Warlock reprints have you? Vol.1 costs a fortune (looks like it's out of print) but not sure if it's worth a digital kindle version punt, as I hate reading e-comics. Paper man through and through.

Definitely will try and give Misty vol.1 a read - never read this first time round - pretty horror orientated, if my memory of the write-up in Comic Heroes serves me well. Would readers have to be a fan of 'girl's comics' to enjoy, or would you say it's fairly accessible regardless?

Both Charley's War and Leopard of Lime St are ones on my would like to get pile.

I enjoyed Slaine : Horned God epic, primarily for the unbelievable art - any other Slaine stories to suggest?

Also, I remember coming across Zenith years ago and don't think I got into it, but keep meaning to have another try. Are yoou familiar with it?

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 18 Dec 2018, 20:06

Spectral Knight wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 17:21

Definitely will try and give Misty vol.1 a read - never read this first time round - pretty horror orientated, if my memory of the write-up in Comic Heroes serves me well. Would readers have to be a fan of 'girl's comics' to enjoy, or would you say it's fairly accessible regardless?
Yes it's very much horror comic and very accessible, I know Mills wasn't happy that they pulled some punches at times, but I think it's still quite dark and if you are a horror fan you should enjoy. I would say it's counterpart Scream! also has good stuff, I really liked "The Dracula File" although one problem is the sudden cancellation means the story stops with some threads dangling.

I have Nemesis the Warlock, its been years since I read it but it is excellent stuff, it was one of the books that got me to look into more 2000AD stuff. Didn't realise paperback of it was so hard to get, Volume 2 is available at reasonable prices.

I haven't read much Slaine, I read some book of invasions but I'm not a big fan of Clint Langley's art, but he is quite popular so maybe that's just me! Zenith is something I've heard of but not read any.

I liked Nikolai Dante, if you are good with roguish characters (he's a bit of a Gambit) first volume I read was Amerika and I love the art style.

X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 18 Dec 2018, 20:17

Zenith was years ahead of its time and very Morrison. Takes the standard tropes and ideas of comic teen heroes and twists them this way and that.

It gets a bit weird towards the end but I would say give it a go

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 18 Dec 2018, 22:12

Never even heard of Nikolai Dante LOL.

Any fans of Brit comics know if anyone reprints old Deadline issues? It sits right around my musical grounding and from what I've heard it managed to merge coverage of late 80s / early 90s alt Brit rock with some great counter culture strips. Tank Girl is the obvious stand out for trying to catch up but I'm really hoping to find complete issues to get the editorial content as well as the strips.

hotknives

Post by hotknives » 21 Dec 2018, 12:28

I read a few issues of Deadline back in the day - Amazon.com seems to have some issues available, although the costs vary and with shipping et al it may be an expensive venture.

Nikolai Dante is Incredible!
Uncanny Avengers Draft
1. Emma Frost
2. Wiccan
3. Magneto
4. Iron Fist
5. Dr Nemesis
6. Elixir
7. Ares
8.Mercury
9.Hellstorm

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 31 Dec 2018, 09:40

This thread has reminded me how much I liked Nikolai Dante and should re-read it!

In the meantime, some christmas goodies I got, were two more Scream! books: The Thirteenth Floor Vol. 1 - a computer runs a tower block and to protect his tenants, he sends any nasty people to a holographic 13th floor, which becomes the person's worst nightmares and Monster a kind of Frankenstein story written by Alan Moore, Alan Grant and John Wagner.

I haven't read for a while but other 2000AD I also enjoyed A.B.C. Warriors and Kingdom.

I have read some Judge Dredd, any particular stories people would recommend? Anyone read any Judge Anderson?

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 11 Jan 2019, 16:52

Prolific British comic artist Ron Smith (94) has died. Probably most known for Judge Dredd, but he had long career, interesting memorium piece here: ,https://downthetubes.net/?p=103667

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 28 Jun 2019, 13:06

The Rebellion treasury line has a sale on right now, lot of stuff going at half price, so good time to check them out, there's books seling for as little as £5.50. https://treasuryofbritishcomics.com/cat ... tion=print

I'm going to pick up Turbo Jones, which has been on my wishlist for a while, and Ian Kennedy's art is a favourite of mine