Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Xavier Files Interview w/ Jordan D. White

Level 05: For discussion on the writers, artists, editors and chiefs that help create the comics you read.
Post Reply
User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 5117
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Xavier Files Interview w/ Jordan D. White

Post by tokenBG1009 » 07 Aug 2019, 05:02

https://www.xavierfiles.com/2019/08/05/ ... n-d-white/

He talks about a lot of the recent stories in the books. From the end of the Ressurexion era to Powers of X. Including the lovely 10 years idea in PoX #1.

(Deleted and put it in the proper section.)
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

User avatar
_Rick_
Posts: 687
Joined: 02 Aug 2011, 18:56

Re: Xavier Files Interview w/ Jordan D. White

Post by _Rick_ » 11 Aug 2019, 19:48

They're some interesting things in that interview but I also found myself rolling my eyes at times. The "order of magnitude" idea wasn't conveyed well at all (and he also didn't seem to grasp it) and the whole thing about numbering and how confusing it was to follow books nowadays was frustrating: "we know it's confusing and that's a real shame that it turns people off... so we will keep making that same mistake". I appreciate his explanation that the numbers show a steady decline of the sales with a jump to higher number with a new number one. He's not wrong there, it's an obvious pattern. However, he should be asking why are people dropping the books the more they read them (an indication they aren't holding people's attention) rather that just resigning himself to "that's just how it is so we'll change our numbering accordingly even knowing that annoys customers and makes it harder for them to find what they're looking for". At the end of the day, those are also lost sales... though I guess they don't care as much because stores would have eaten a lot of that uncertainty for them.

User avatar
Usernamenotimportant
Posts: 146
Joined: 30 May 2019, 10:46

Re: Xavier Files Interview w/ Jordan D. White

Post by Usernamenotimportant » 11 Aug 2019, 22:22

Oh, he knows pretty well why people aren't holding on these books- first, because in #1s, there are many speculators or simply people buying many of the variants, so they'll always drop. Second, because the stories suck. Everything that happened in his tenure in the X-books so far- Extermination, Disassembled, Rosenberg's run, AoXM- was just bad, apart from maybe a few, but not all, of the books in AoXM (that still sold like crap because the event was a bad idea in the first place). Hickman's work so far has been excellent, but it has very few to do with him.

Ewing's IH success proves you can have a book that is a major hit without events, 100 variants, new #1s every year, etc. But that requires getting a good writer and not have a micromanaging editor.

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 18927
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Xavier Files Interview w/ Jordan D. White

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Aug 2019, 22:47

I always think its funny how when things are bad people blame editors but when its good, it’s solely the writer...lol
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
Usernamenotimportant
Posts: 146
Joined: 30 May 2019, 10:46

Re: Xavier Files Interview w/ Jordan D. White

Post by Usernamenotimportant » 12 Aug 2019, 01:03

Blackcyclops wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 22:47
I always think its funny how when things are bad people blame editors but when its good, it’s solely the writer...lol
In this case, it is. Hickman was hired by the publisher himself, and begun working in this story a long time ago. He has way more clout than any other writer working at Marvel had in a looong time, since the revitalization of the X-men franchise is almost entirely dependent of him, and if he leaves for whatever reason, Marvel has no name of similar reputation to replace him, partially because they've alienated most of the bigger names in comics. It's also pretty clear this story would be more or less the same if another editor was involved.

Meanwhile, I don't know how much editorial interference was involved in Disassembled, Rosenberg's run, AoXM, etc, but he at least approved all of it, meaning he was probably happy with the product and thought it would sell.

And of course anyone that reads comics, and reads about them for a long time, knows how editorial micromanaging can damage them (particularly true when Harras was in charge).

User avatar
Cable
Posts: 4116
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 18:31
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Xavier Files Interview w/ Jordan D. White

Post by Cable » 12 Aug 2019, 02:29

Usernamenotimportant wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 22:22
Oh, he knows pretty well why people aren't holding on these books- first, because in #1s, there are many speculators or simply people buying many of the variants, so they'll always drop. Second, because the stories suck. Everything that happened in his tenure in the X-books so far- Extermination, Disassembled, Rosenberg's run, AoXM- was just bad, apart from maybe a few, but not all, of the books in AoXM (that still sold like crap because the event was a bad idea in the first place). Hickman's work so far has been excellent, but it has very few to do with him.

Ewing's IH success proves you can have a book that is a major hit without events, 100 variants, new #1s every year, etc. But that requires getting a good writer and not have a micromanaging editor.
Saying current comics sales numbers are due to bad writing means literally all comics at every company has bad writing. Because they all experience similar numbers.

And you say Rosenberg's Uncanny is one of the worst runs and it consistently has sold in the top 25 comics for 20 issues, very uncommon for a modern comic. In fact considering it was releasing biweekly, Uncanny X-Men moved more copies than Immortal Hulk every month.
Best X-Comic last week: Powers of X #4
Best non X-Comic last week: Silver Surfer Black #4

User avatar
Usernamenotimportant
Posts: 146
Joined: 30 May 2019, 10:46

Re: Xavier Files Interview w/ Jordan D. White

Post by Usernamenotimportant » 12 Aug 2019, 13:47

Hulk was also released twice a month half these months. And Rosenberg's run was the only X-book set in the 616 for 6 months (with X-force mostly in the future), something that hasn't happened since the early 80's, and was still selling around 40k. I can't speak about every company, but lack of quality and high prices are the main factors in the poor sales of Marvel. Even if some books are good, people have been burned out before, and end up unwilling to take risks, specially if many of the good ones end cancelled by issue 12.

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 18927
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Xavier Files Interview w/ Jordan D. White

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Aug 2019, 20:20

Cable wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 02:29
Usernamenotimportant wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 22:22
Oh, he knows pretty well why people aren't holding on these books- first, because in #1s, there are many speculators or simply people buying many of the variants, so they'll always drop. Second, because the stories suck. Everything that happened in his tenure in the X-books so far- Extermination, Disassembled, Rosenberg's run, AoXM- was just bad, apart from maybe a few, but not all, of the books in AoXM (that still sold like crap because the event was a bad idea in the first place). Hickman's work so far has been excellent, but it has very few to do with him.

Ewing's IH success proves you can have a book that is a major hit without events, 100 variants, new #1s every year, etc. But that requires getting a good writer and not have a micromanaging editor.
Saying current comics sales numbers are due to bad writing means literally all comics at every company has bad writing. Because they all experience similar numbers.

And you say Rosenberg's Uncanny is one of the worst runs and it consistently has sold in the top 25 comics for 20 issues, very uncommon for a modern comic. In fact considering it was releasing biweekly, Uncanny X-Men moved more copies than Immortal Hulk every month.
Yeah that part...
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 18927
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Xavier Files Interview w/ Jordan D. White

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Aug 2019, 20:21

Unless you do a representative sample, any conclusion about why sales have dropped is speculative and typically leans towards the guessers bias...
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
Usernamenotimportant
Posts: 146
Joined: 30 May 2019, 10:46

Re: Xavier Files Interview w/ Jordan D. White

Post by Usernamenotimportant » 12 Aug 2019, 21:40

Again, like I said, I can't say why every company, generally speaking, is not selling that much, just Marvel, and particularly the X-line, which I follow more, I have more of an idea. And there, constant relaunches and terrible quality of the books (with a few exceptions) are clearly a factor. No one will remember Disassembled or Extermination as some of the best stories of all time, and cancelling the entire line looks an even worse decision now than it did back then.

User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 5117
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Re: Xavier Files Interview w/ Jordan D. White

Post by tokenBG1009 » 12 Aug 2019, 22:59

Usernamenotimportant wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 21:40
Again, like I said, I can't say why every company, generally speaking, is not selling that much, just Marvel, and particularly the X-line, which I follow more, I have more of an idea. And there, constant relaunches and terrible quality of the books (with a few exceptions) are clearly a factor. No one will remember Disassembled or Extermination as some of the best stories of all time, and cancelling the entire line looks an even worse decision now than it did back then.
We get it, you've hated the last few years of X-Men.

That still doesn't make anything you've said fact.

Not enjoying an era doesn't mean it was a disaster. House of M through Decimation? Wipe it from history. Literally made me stop reading comics. Hickman's entire saga leading up to Secret War? Another era that left me so unfulfilled I stopped reading. I'm not going to turn around and say they were disasters. People loved them. People loved Rosenberg's run too. Someone, maybe?, loved Age of X-Man.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

User avatar
Usernamenotimportant
Posts: 146
Joined: 30 May 2019, 10:46

Re: Xavier Files Interview w/ Jordan D. White

Post by Usernamenotimportant » 13 Aug 2019, 01:24

Sales indicate AoXM was a complete flop, though- the X-books never sold less.

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 18927
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Xavier Files Interview w/ Jordan D. White

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Aug 2019, 12:21

Well he did say “maybe” lol...still the other points Token made still stand.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
Oldmanlogan79
Posts: 22
Joined: 02 Aug 2019, 12:55
Location: Spain
Contact:

Re: Xavier Files Interview w/ Jordan D. White

Post by Oldmanlogan79 » 15 Aug 2019, 13:56

Usernamenotimportant wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 21:40
Again, like I said, I can't say why every company, generally speaking, is not selling that much, just Marvel, and particularly the X-line, which I follow more, I have more of an idea. And there, constant relaunches and terrible quality of the books (with a few exceptions) are clearly a factor. No one will remember Disassembled or Extermination as some of the best stories of all time, and cancelling the entire line looks an even worse decision now than it did back then.
I have to agree with that. Relaunch from Gillen to Bendis after AVX was abrupt.... and then comes Secret Wars, and another abrupt change to Bunn and Lemire.... which lead us to IVX and the Blue-Gold nonsense by Guggenheim/Bunn and new astonishing....and after cancelling, new UXM by Rosenberg with every character dying 3 months before Hickman comes....so cancelling again !

Every relaunch had nothing to do with the one before (maybe Gillen-Bendis was kind of natural)...After the fight against the Inhumans, that bad imitation of classic days that was XMen Gold, and then that bad copy of AoA that was AoXM (not to mention Rosenberg...almost everyone in this board looked like thinking the same)....

The way to sell Hickman (if he needed to be sold) was to say that for the first time in ages they were going to put XMen on the front (so they werent), so they knew they were speculating (maybe Fox affairs) and then Hickman appeared so lets enjoy dudes!

I really enjoyed everything by Gillen or Bendis because I really liked characters or artists involved, but from IVX to Rosenberg I thought X-Editors didnt even like this franchise at all. (personal opinion)

But since HOX 1 everything changed!, and I kind of see Hickman way more responsible than White or Cebulski on this move..I Even heard from White that they were sceptic at the beginning with the big idea Hickman brought.
Lee-Claremont-Morrison-Bendis-Hickman

Post Reply