Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Uderzo passes at age 92

Level 05: For discussion on the writers, artists, editors and chiefs that help create the comics you read.
_Rick_

Uderzo passes at age 92

Post by _Rick_ » 24 Mar 2020, 12:57

News have come out stating that Alberto Uderzo passed away in his sleep due to a heart attack. For those that are unaware of him, he's the co-creator of Asterix which is probably the most famous and influential European comic series (Tintin is up there as well to be fair).

It's a tremendous loss. Asterix has become not only a symbol of France but the books are IMHO a perfect encapsulation of several aspects of European culture. They combine what seems to be relatively straightforward narratives suitable for all ages with a wealth of historical settings, mythological references, linguistic curiosities, geopolitical satire, pop culture criticism, etc. To this day, there's a ton of stuff that I know about multiple languages, history and cultures that I first came in contact through these books (and went on to discover more by asking questions or searching myself). More recently I've been in the position of being the adult reading these books to children and being asked these questions. It's really amazing what Goscinny and Uderzo created.

Sit tibi terra levis

tokenBG1009

Re: Uderzo passes at age 92

Post by tokenBG1009 » 27 Mar 2020, 14:30

I've seen mention of this all over and it kind of shows the impact he had on people's lives.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

das_boot

Re: Uderzo passes at age 92

Post by das_boot » 02 Apr 2020, 16:21

Oh what?! We used to be given Asterix comics to read in French, and I always remember them fondly :(
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!