Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Cullen Bunn and Jeff Lemire at Baltimore Comic-Con

Level 05: For discussion on the writers, artists, editors and chiefs that help create the comics you read.
Around The Fur

Cullen Bunn and Jeff Lemire at Baltimore Comic-Con

Post by Around The Fur » 20 Oct 2019, 14:35

Had the pleasure of speaking with Bunn and Lemire at my local convention yesterday.
Starting with Lemire, he lamented his time on the Extraordinary X-Men. Lemire inherited a lot of “marching orders” on what to write, especially given the push on the Inhumans and all the crossovers. Lemire was much happier with doing Old Man Logan because he didn’t have to check with editorial as much with the writing the book and had more free reign.
Bunn was a treat to talk with. I don’t have twitter but he had just released his plans for what he would have done with the X-franchise if he had continued and had been given his way. His X-Men blue run would have turned into an Exiles book and he pitched a Brotherhood of Evil Mutants book that would have continued using Briar in role like old school Moira. Bunn certainly had a lot more love for the X franchise than Lemire as he had more creative control. Bunn also wanted to have Sabretooth to snap out of his “hypnosis” and go villain again.
The most interesting part of the my conversation with Bunn ( and it’s also referenced in an interview he gave online) is that Hickman’s ideas where know as far back as post Secret Wars. Apparently editorial stances on what to do with characters reached that far back. I found that interesting in light of Rosenberg’s X run.
Overall, it was amazing to talk with Lemire and Bunn about their takes on our favorite characters. I do gotta day Lemire got the short end on things as he really had no control on what direction what he could take on our merry mutants.
Avengers Draft Team- Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, Silver Surfer, Ex Nihilo, Beta Ray Bill, Man-Thing, Nightmask, The Unseen and US Agent as The Brotherhood of the Shield!

Theme songs- "Hey! Get out of my way" by The Cardigans.

tokenBG1009

Re: Cullen Bunn and Jeff Lemire at Baltimore Comic-Con

Post by tokenBG1009 » 21 Oct 2019, 10:54

I've heard similar about Lemire and his run. It sounds like it was pretty much an editorially written book that they just stuck his name on. I really wish he'd been given another chance without editorial breathing down his back.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Usernamenotimportant

Post by Usernamenotimportant » 21 Oct 2019, 21:09

Yeah, the thing about Hickman just isn't true- House of X #1 has a script date of February 11th 2018, and we know he was approached by Buckley only a few months before that. Plus, at the time Marvel simply was not interested in pushing the X-men as a major property, and that was part of the reason Hickman left the company.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 21 Oct 2019, 22:20

I mean, editors can give you story outlines but bad dialogue and everything else still falls on you bro lol
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 21 Oct 2019, 23:09

I didn't think Lemire's run was THAT bad. At least it felt like an X-Men comic. Plus, it really sounded like his heart just wasn't in it.

The bit about Hickman could be true based on what you said, UNI. If Hickman had this plan for the X-Men, but Marvel wasn't interested in a push for them then he could have left because of it. Marvel getting the rights to the X-Men could have basically been the moment they went "Hey, you remember that idea for the X-Men you had? Let's talk more about it."
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 21 Oct 2019, 23:26

Hickman said he left because he wanted a break (which he took) and to so creator-owned (which he did). I’d believe Lemire and just think the idea was just simmering.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Oldmanlogan79

Post by Oldmanlogan79 » 26 Oct 2019, 11:30

I loved OML by Lemire...made me enjoy comics in the BWS Weapon X and 70s Conan style. Bloody & Mature.... His work with Sorrentino or Eric Nguyen was top for me...
I didn´t find that EXM was so bad written, I found it enjoyable...but the art by Ramos was just the bolt for me to just don´t look at it...
Lee-Claremont-Morrison-Bendis-Hickman