Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

AIPT Interview w/ Matthew Rosenberg

Level 05: For discussion on the writers, artists, editors and chiefs that help create the comics you read.
tokenBG1009

AIPT Interview w/ Matthew Rosenberg

Post by tokenBG1009 » 20 Aug 2019, 13:38

https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2 ... ston-2019/

So, I was definitely someone disappointed in the way his run ended, but I thought he had interesting ideas. I think I'm going to give his run a second chance soon to read through again.

He also brings up my new favorite point when it comes to death in comics. It's about reading the story in the now and not worrying about later. Before, I mentioned Kurt's death in Second Coming. We all knew he'd come back some day. That wasn't the point of the story though. Kurt sacrificed his life for Hope. I think it's a real disservice to the story and the characters in it to just dismiss death because it could be undone.

Tangent aside, I think he does a good job of explaining a lot of his decisions in the book. I kind of wish he got to write the fallout of Scott and Jean's kiss and what it means for all those involved in that love... trapezoid? pentagram? (Ororo's feelings matter too!) I think he has a good grasp on the nature of Jean/Scott and he has love for Emma/Scott. I worry whoever picks up that story thread will just keep running with Jean and Scott reconciling.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Anna Raven

Re: AIPT Interview w/ Matthew Rosenberg

Post by Anna Raven » 20 Aug 2019, 14:40

tokenBG1009 wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 13:38

He also brings up my new favorite point when it comes to death in comics. It's about reading the story in the now and not worrying about later. Before, I mentioned Kurt's death in Second Coming. We all knew he'd come back some day. That wasn't the point of the story though. Kurt sacrificed his life for Hope. I think it's a real disservice to the story and the characters in it to just dismiss death because it could be undone.
I really thought that was one of the most poignant X-Men deaths in the last decade. Fans always want a character's death to mean something, and that one meant something. He died a hero, saving another person's life.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

Blackcyclops

Re: AIPT Interview w/ Matthew Rosenberg

Post by Blackcyclops » 20 Aug 2019, 15:58

Anna Raven wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 14:40
tokenBG1009 wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 13:38

I really thought that was one of the most poignant X-Men deaths in the last decade. Fans always want a character's death to mean something, and that one meant something. He died a hero, saving another person's life.
I’ll preface this by saying I’ve never been the type of reader or consumer of fiction that says things like “I hate time travel” or “I hate wetworks/killer teams”. My principle has always been that a trope or idea isn’t inherently good or bad, it’s always about execution and I evaluate those things in that way. And so death in superhero comics has never been a thing I bemoan and do Medium post about...when it works, it works, when it doesn’t, it doesn’t. I also never have an Issues about a resurrections, for those very same reasons. One doesn’t negate the other, I measure both on their merits and believe thaf any reasonable person should as well (I apologize if that’s controversial or comes off as offending anyone but it’s a deeply held belief of mine).

That all being said, I do think and can understand how someone could became jaded and cynical (cynicism many times comes from a place of arrogance imo. It’s like a “I know better than you” feeling and idea.) about a character’s death like in Rosenberg’s run (bringing it back around). They could feel he was doing it for shock (that’s a defensible position and one worthy of debate) or just think he was lazy (again, debatable) but I also see the side who believes it’s a trope he used for particular reasons in his run. I personally just think he didn’t stick the landing on some of them but I did see his overall vision.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?