Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

Bill Sienkiewicz's Run on New Mutants

Level 05: For discussion on the writers, artists, editors and chiefs that help create the comics you read.
Blackcyclops

Bill Sienkiewicz's Run on New Mutants

Post by Blackcyclops » 10 Dec 2015, 16:37

Was listening to a podcast and they talked about the impact of Bill Sienkiewicz on New Mutants. Was it really that ground-breaking? They almost argued it as being some of the most paradigm-shifting of the 1980s. So I was just asking since it's a time I was not reading. Also how much did you guys like that art?
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Cyke

Re: Bill Sienkiewicz's Run on New Mutants

Post by Cyke » 10 Dec 2015, 18:50

From what I recall, it certainly was a jarring change. I think it was a move representative of Marvel's willingness back then to think outside the lines so to speak, by putting such an experimental artist on a prominent title. The major feedback at that time was that fans seemingly loved his work. And let's face it, he put his indelible stamp on Warlock from the start. Though he was only on NM as artist/cover artist for what, 13 issues, he parlayed that success into larger assignments such as his collaboration with Miller on the Elektra:Assassin mini and the DD graphic novel, Love & War. His work may be paradigm-shifting in that his unorthodox style paved the way for future such artists in the mainstream and he's clearly one of the most definitive and recognizable artists of that decade.

As for my own personal like of his work, eh, it's hit-and-miss. Sometimes I do like it, sometimes I don't but regardless his work is always engaging.

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 14 Jan 2016, 18:50

I've been making my way through some old x-titles on Marvel Unlimited (disappointed at how little Alpha Flight they have available - but that's another topic). I never read the run originally and I'm loving the art right now. Particularly the gorgeous covers, some of them deserved to be framed. I agree with Cyke sometimes in te flow of the comic story telling it can be a bit of miss, but definitely worth a look if you haven't read it before.
Exiles Draft: Nightcrawler (AoA), Polaris (Exiles), Shard (XSE), Aliyah Bishop (The End), Iceman (Mutant X), Spiderwoman (Earth 8545), Angel/Halloway (Noir), Kitty Pryde (Ultimate), Heather Hudson (Exiles), Cameron (DofP)

LockheedAndLoaded

Post by LockheedAndLoaded » 07 Aug 2017, 21:18

The first time I saw his covers for New Mutants, I had to check to see that I wasn't looking at something from the 90's or 2000's (I only got into comics about five years ago, so I'm still discovering things). Whether you love or hate Bill's art, there's no denying that it breaks away from a certain... convention in comic book art.

I definitely have a lot of respect for the man after seeing him at a "New Mutants Retrospective" panel at SDCC. He talked about figuring out the looks of Warlock and Legion (I guess he drew a character with a tower of hair since he was kid). I asked him what the weirdest complement or criticism he's received was, and he replied that a lot of people asked what drugs he used while making his designs. He followed up by confirming that he was clean and he believes that any sort of substance would've gotten in the way of the creative process.

Anyways, I really like how his exaggerated figures were the "anti-thesis" of the stereotypical fit and muscular heroes.
I am Lockheed, dragon from space and slayer of untold Brood (may they burn in the fires of the Black Sun for all eternity).

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 08 Aug 2017, 23:18

I remember the shift distinctly whenSienkiewicz took over. At first I was a bit put off because it was such a jarring change and just struck me as way too abstract. But, as the story of the demon bear progressed it was clear this man was unbelievably talented and his art so perfectly captured the aims of the story. When he left the book it was never close to that good again in style and tone. He is definitely among my top 5 all-time favorite artists entirely because of his run on NM.

Cable

Post by Cable » 08 Aug 2017, 23:50

His style was so well-suited to doing the Legion story. I can't imagine anyone else (from that time) doing justice to that crazy concept like he did.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 09 Aug 2017, 14:33

It was certainly ground breaking, but I'm not persuaded it was paradigm shifting. It was like nothing anyone had seen before in a comic, so it broke new ground. However, few artists followed his example and the impact on the medium was mostly around the edges, and long-term not immediate. "Paradigm shifting" means the whole idea of comic book art changed, and I just don't see that. Sure, some artists over the years were freed to be more experimental, so it broadened the field, but it did not move the whole field to a new location; the majority of books kept on in the Marvel house style. Steranko and Adams were much more paradigm shifting in the late 60's, IMO.