Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Warped What-If? and Storyline Discussion

Level 08: If you want to converse about anything Marvel related like the Fantastic Four or the Avengers charter then try this level.
EphemeristX

Warped What-If? and Storyline Discussion

Post by EphemeristX » 22 Oct 2018, 22:54

Now that we're on our last go-round, I thought it was time to start sharing some of our unused concepts and story ideas. I'll go first:

Honestly, I had a lot of ideas. My unused list goes over 100. Once I got into it, I just starting overlaying concepts and it got pretty weird. But here are some of my favorites.

Typhoid Mary and Mister Negative: Type O-Negative

"Bloody" Mary Li is a business woman who occasionally turns negative, where she acts out her fantasies of being a hitman, gaining telekinesis and the ability to fracture personalities when blood is spilled. The Viruses turned out to be a decent replacement for my idea, but I really liked the play on words their names made. Since the warp was impossible, I wasn't too shaken up on losing it.

MODOK and Ego: EPOCH - Exo-Planet Orchestrating Cosmic Horror

It absolutely gutted me to lose MODOK so quickly. Magnodok is truly terrifying, but losing EPOCH sort of sealed my fate for having a cosmic division to my cast.

Rachel and Angela: Hraesvelgr (hRAYS-vel-grr)

The second character I was devastated to lose. She was the secret daughter of Odin who was cursed to die over and over to keep her from claiming the Asgardian throne. Named after the bird who watches the borders of Valhalla, she would be born of a frost giant Jeanne of the Greys and spirited away to Earth.

Forge and Ikarus: Daedalus

The would-be inventor to my crew, he would've been a war vet who died in a skirmish but was possessed by the spirit of an Eternal.

Omega Red and Shuma Gorath: The Red Death

My main villain. Arkady was to be a subject of a Russian sleep experiment. After weeks of being kept awake to open his subconscious mind, he was given the texts of Shuma Gorath. The many-angled tentacles of un-death would then slither out of his face, turning him into a spectre of death and horror. That was, I was super sad to lose.

Stepford Cuckoos and Winter Soldier: D.I.V.A.S. (Daphne, Ione, Veronica, Ashley, and Sadie)

They were clones of a WWII master assassin Emma "Frost" Barnes. They were telepathically linked to become a deadly assassination team. The Cuckoos we got were pretty cool, and since I'd lost Bucky, I'd moved on. I was glad to see someone use them similarly to my own idea.

I have others, but that's enough for now. I don't want to shake up the game by doing ones for characters that are still available.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Wings

Re: Warped What-If? and Storyline Discussion

Post by Wings » 23 Oct 2018, 00:06

Auntie America/ Anti-America- Mr. Negative/ Ms America Chavez
This idea would have turned America's fondness for patriotic symbols on its head. America Li would have been a dimensional traveler obsessed with ending the tyranny of American imperialism across the multiverse. As well as the flight and strength powers of Ms America, Mr Negative's corrupting touch and America Chavez's dimensional travel power would have combined to give Anti-America the ability to "corrupt" an individual by swapping them with a counterpart from an alt-universe. That idea wound up surviving with some modification in Chaos Magician's powerset.

Green Nova- Frankie Raye/Nova and Bruce Banner/Hulk
Frankie Banner would have recieved her abilities through cruel experiments performed by her abusive stepfather David Horton who wanted to repeat his success with endowing androids with the ability to produce flame in humans. His experiments with gamma radiation proved a disaster, and Horton suppressed his stepdaughter's abilities using a special suit and a vast array of hypnotic techniques. Recently however the blocks have begun to fail. Now when, Frankie beholds the sight of an open flame, her power activates, exploding outwards with the power of a gamma bomb,and leaving her to wander as a savage being of luminescent green flame that attacks anything that gets in her path.

More to come.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 23 Oct 2018, 02:46

Ok...a few of my ideas... excluding White Knight, who HotKnives read my mind on.

Cosmo + Colossus = Cosmossus. This one hurt hard, but I had a whole back story written for this - essentially cosmic rays would merge Peter + his brother's dog (playing off Mikhail's past as a cosmonaut) and resulting in a metal dog who could read and communicate telepathically (in Russian only).

Stepford Cuckoos + Cosmo = Stepford Litter / dismissively also known as the Flea in One. Three golden retriever bitches (used in the accurate dog sense I should add) who share a pack mind and are telepathic.

Shanna + She-Thing = Shanna the She-Thing. Something that bothered me about She-Thing is that she looked just like the Thing. So Shanna the She-Thing would have luscious blond locks, and a skimpy bikini and almost be comically hyper sexualized whilst still being a monstrous rock lady.

Jack of Hearts + Iceman = Frosty Jack. Rumours such a character would have teamed up with a White Lightning merge is crazy talk.

Northstar + Odin = Norsestar. Hadn't really detailed the background completely but this would play on the early Viking settlers in Canada (Newfoundland I believe).

Hyperion + Sunspot = Hypersun. Again, not terribly developed back story to this, but the visual looked really cool.

Groot + Doop = Groop. I am Groop.
Seriously though, a greeny-brown blob with a broccoli like hair do, and clumps of twigs + vegetation. Disgusting looks, worse behaviour.
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 23 Oct 2018, 04:13

Oooh some good stuff in there. Some of these might still foster new ideas amongst the players :D

Colossus + Giant Man = Iron Giant - This was my first solid idea, I even made an image in that hero generator tool others are using. After I lost Giant Man though I gave up on making more images. I'm not good enough to do them quickly and if I do them to early I may lose the character and waste my time.

Black Panther and Silver Surfer = The Silver Panther T'Challa would volunteer to become Galactus' herald to save Wakanda (which I was undeceived if it would become a planet or extra dimension world ala Asgard, otherwise isn't Galactus just going to Earth the rest of Earth too?). Anyway, the only reason I was sad about loosing this one was because of the character I had planned for after this:

Multiple Man + a Dora Milaje = The Multiple Milaje - Essentially all of T'Challa's Dora Milaje would be one woman who could copy herself.

Giant Man and Hulk = The Hulking Giant - I had multiple Giant man ideas lol. Bruce Pym, already a genius inventor of the Pym Particles, would use his giant body to shield everyone else from the gamma bomb he was testing, but was transformed. When angry we was transform into a 50 foot tall green giant of destruction. - Unfortunately I realised pretty fast this wasn't possible because they're in the same group! It could never happen :(

Multiple Man and the Hulk = The Horde - Similar to Hulking Giant, but mutant lab assistant Jamie Banner make a mass of dupes to pile onto the bomb and shield his colleagues. Unfortunately now he transforms into a Hulk that replicates itself into an army of angry monsters. Scary

Ghost Rider + Wolverine = Ghost Mauler - I could have done this one! I loved the visual of a flaming adamantium skeleton. But ultimately I went with Angel instead as I thought it was a cooler image and more diverse. Logan, while an awesome Ghost Rider, would still just be a leather wearing, Harley riding badass. Essentially just regular Ghost Rider with a kickass shiny skeleton.

Spider-Man + the Punisher = Spider Punisher - I couldn't think of a good name. This one just makes sense; his Uncle is killed and he gets this new found power. He becomes a killer instead of hero. This makes so much sense that Marvel just did a What If of that exact idea. In my mind I pictured him in the black costume, with a white spider skull. Sort of like a combo of the black costume and the 2099 costume.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 23 Oct 2018, 09:36

The only one that’s really irked me about not being able to do wasn’t even for me, but was when I was picking for HotKnives.

I was planning on doing a warp between Sinister and Morbius. Didn’t have a name picked out, and the origin would have been similar to the Sinister Spectre, except that after being exposed to vampirism, Sinister extracted DNA directly from his subjects, processed it within his own body, and added their mutation to his own.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

MrFOOM

Post by MrFOOM » 23 Oct 2018, 12:10

Here's my Bullseye ones.

Captain America + Bullseye = Captain Bullseye

Engaged in a war with Vietnam, the WSA are pushed back and desperately need to turn the tides. They concoct a super soldier serum but don't have time to vet a suitable candidate. Instead they pick one of their best Marines, a marksman with an impeccable aim known only as 'Steve'. Little do they know that the man is a sadistic psychopath and doesn't have the country's best interests at heart.
After being given an enhanced physiology and intelligence and armed with an indestructible shield that he can throw with incredible accuracy and versatility, he takes the war into his own hands. Nobody can be sure whether he is a hero or a villain.
After the war he travels the world as a mercenary doing both heroic and villainous deeds, all for his own pleasure.

Eye Boy + Bullseye = Bullseye Boy
I mean this is kind of self explanatory. It's Bullseye but with eyes all over his body giving him even better skills and powers. Bullseye Boy is the best.

Another one I missed out on is
Vision + Thing
I honestly couldn't figure out a superhero name for this so I'll take some suggestions if you got em.
But basically the story is Ben's scientist best friend was experimenting with making artificial intelligence and robotics. He wanted to use his friend's brain waves to make the intelligence more authentic but in a freak accident Ben's conciousness became trapped in the android body. Constantly struggling between his artificial intelligence and his actual conciousness, Ben sees himself as a freak and no longer human but his android body gives him many powers and abilities which he utilises as a superhero.
Fantasy Draft: Doctor Strange, Hulk, Namor, Venom, Mr. Immortal (off), Professor X, Old Man Logan, Honey Badger, Mary Jane Watson, Thanos, Cosmic Ghost Rider (on).

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 23 Oct 2018, 12:25

I think I’d have kept “Thing” for you Vision/Thing mash-up. It kind of works still 🤷‍♂️
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Wings

Post by Wings » 23 Oct 2018, 14:46

The Eye of Agamotto/The Eye of Shuma-Gorath- Baron Mordo and Eye-Boy or Baron Mordo and Shuma Gorath

The concept here would have been that Trevor Mordo would have studied under the Ancient One as Karl Mordo did in 616. Trevor would have learned of the Eye of Agamotto, an artifact wielded by Earth's first Sorcerer Supreme. The Ancient One tried to shield his charge from the dangers of the Eye but Trevor would not listen and paid a terrible price. The Eye bonded with Trevor, transforming him into an instrument of Agamotto's will, sprouting eyes all over his body from which his master could observe the mortal realm from his Light Dimension. Now Trevor roams the Earth, an eldritch abomination that seeks only new knowledge and who will work with hero and villain alike, as long as the secrets they pay him with are valuable enough. What his master intends to do with all this information, only time will tell...

After Eye Boy got taken, I wanted to use Shuma Gorath to salvage this idea but then he got taken as well.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 23 Oct 2018, 21:22

I did have one further idea, again based on a stupid pun of a name that would see Mephisto corrupt Crystal and her powers, so that a combination of different elements could induce psychological effects equivalent to sorcery / illusions.

Of course, she would be known as Crystal Meph

I know, bad taste huh :D
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 23 Oct 2018, 21:50

Hah. Oh my god. That's horrible and I love it.

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 24 Oct 2018, 06:43

Damn, just lost Toad. I was going to combine him with Moleman to make the Burrowing Toad

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 29 Oct 2018, 19:22

While I'm waiting to go on my last turn, here's some more:

Gambit + Bullseye: Cardsharp - Benji LeBeau - A member of the Assassin's Guild with uncanny aim and kinetic energy powers.

Echo + Leech: Hush - Maya Lopez - The only child of the "Crazy Horse Massacre" carried out by a team of Mafia hitmen called the Marauders, she was saved when her InMutant powers of sound absorption activated and silenced her screams. While living as a ward of the state, she began to display muscle mimicry as well and became an antihero obsessed with taking down organized crime.

Ultron + Impossible Man: Impositron - An advanced exploratory AI robot was sent through a portal to the Impossible Realm and returns, having gained both sentience and the ability to decipher magic in machine code.

MrFOOM

Post by MrFOOM » 29 Oct 2018, 20:49

I really wanted to do Odin + Nick Fury = Odin Fury.
He's an asgardian warrior that loses his eye in a war. After serving Asgard he leads an agency that seeks to defend the 9 realms. Their base of operations is a giant flying viking ship.
Fantasy Draft: Doctor Strange, Hulk, Namor, Venom, Mr. Immortal (off), Professor X, Old Man Logan, Honey Badger, Mary Jane Watson, Thanos, Cosmic Ghost Rider (on).

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 30 Oct 2018, 06:34

Hadn't thought of those two, but that warps really works, lots of similarities (the manipulation, the secrecy, the missing eye, the leadership and of course the womanizing). Great combo.

There's a few that I can't do (because of pool restrictions) that I won't reveal now as they're still available. One further idea I can't do any more is a Jubilee / Human Torch warp called Fireworks of course. Johnny Lee would be a mall rat orphan with a tendency for car theft and joy riding. Johnny could launch explosive "fireworks" and of course cover his body in fire.
X-Editorial:

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 30 Oct 2018, 12:14

Oddly, I had another Jubilee warp that I was going to use...

Starlord and Jubilee= Peter Pan. Was going to have him as an orphan abducted by aliens who came across alien gauntlets allowing him to fire sparks of energy, a harness allowing him flight, and was going to free a group of alien orphans and lead his “lost boys” on a mission of intergalactic mischief

I imagine my Kate Bishop/Domino warp would have been very similar to the one that was used anyway— long-range weapons user who had the ability to literally never miss 🤷‍♂️

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 30 Oct 2018, 16:19

The only real Starlord one I had was with Gwenpool. She was just Star-Gwen. Same character, only she got bored of Earth so she decided to be a space-faring hero instead.

I did have a Singularity/Franklin Richards warp called Relativity. Basically he was a Franklin from the pre-Secret Wars universe who became the literal embodiment of uncreated realities. His body was made up of them.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 30 Oct 2018, 17:03

This is a really odd draft given which characters are still on the board...and what went early.

HotKnives' last pick cost me two ideas in one. Eugh. I was looked at potentially having a Hood / Kristoff von Doom merger (hadn't come up with anything more exciting for a name than Hooded Doom) and a silly merger of Adam Warlock with Deathlok for the imaginatively named Adam Deathlok.

Unfortunately I did have a fall-back for Deathlok, but Scorpion's in the same pool, so the Sharpshooter* will always be on the list of if-only's.

*One for RingOkatu / fans of 90s pro wrestling.
X-Editorial:

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 31 Oct 2018, 01:45

Deathlok was one I considered but then discarded. I was considering a warp with another character who’s still, surprisingly, on the board.

I’m really surprised that there are still some serious heavy-hitters still free to pick from.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 31 Oct 2018, 03:43

I'm gonna do a wrap up post kind of like Cable. I definitely noticed that big names didn't go very quickly in this draft necessarily.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 31 Oct 2018, 22:32

Eph— your last draft pick was one I was going to use, but I couldn’t think of a decent concept for it. Yours is amazing!

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 01 Nov 2018, 16:51

Thanks, boot. I think alot of your picks are pretty cool and could mesh well with mine, particularly Grimmoire, Voodoo Doll, and Fury. Even the Viruses, actually. I could see them being employed by the Black Emperor and running afoul of my heroes.

Alright, so, since I'm done, I can outline the basic story beats for my characters.

Iron Butterfly and the Nail are my two main POV characters. A twisted version of the classic Steed/Peel partnership, the Nail would be the broody and tightly wound occult agent working with the aloof and weird warrior Dani Rand. They'd have no official jursidiction anywhere, though the Nail is technically a member of MI-13, but would instead operate under the radar and as quietly as possible from their HQ at Muir Island. Living among them would be Docjaw, who would also act as their main mode of global transport and magical expert, and Rita Carpenter's daughter Rachel, who their group has taken in as a ward in exchange for access to the Moirae. Rachel has developed somewhat of a kinship with the crotchety old dog, who spends much more time napping than he used to. While Ludgate's transfiguration situation is still an issue for him, he actually doesn't mind being a dog as much as he thought he would, though he'd at least like the option to switch back to his human form to read like a normal person or have a civilized dinner.

As for the Moirae, her web lies in the Black Forests of Germany. Though, technically, she's not a hero, she does look upon Dani fondly, and does her best to help her in her quest. Fate is a fickle mistress, though, and it has a dark sense of humor, and sometimes, the Moirae cannot do anything but relay bad news.

Jack O' the Green is a wandering hero and only occasionally meets with up the main pair. He's a world traveler, taking up nature related causes wherever he finds them. He has been spending more time in Germany, lately...

The main thorn in Dani's side is the Stone Serpent, hell bent on revenge and willing to do whatever it takes to get it. He'll be a recurring enemy for the group and will call Dani's heroism into question.

Terminus is mostly a superheroic baddie and a foil for Wonder Beast, but his death related powers will send him across the Nail's path. His necromantic army of the dead will cause Peter's past to come back to haunt him, literally, when he resurrects Christ's Crown and Peter's own mother.

The Black Emperor will be a long term villain for the group, as Shaw is wily in using his front as a religious organization to affect politicians, the police force, and the minds of the public for his own ends. The second he senses Nail and Butterfly becoming an issue for him, he'll set his sights on destroying their organization from within and without. Of course, his scope is much bigger than their little group, and will factor heavily into both the InMutant and street level hero plots.