Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Marvel Fantasy League Contest

Level 08: If you want to converse about anything Marvel related like the Fantastic Four or the Avengers charter then try this level.
Cosmos666

Marvel Fantasy League Contest

Post by Cosmos666 » 03 Mar 2018, 18:45

So, this idea came to me in a dream and it would make a fun game for the forum. It's basically Fantasy Football Draft but with Marvel characters and we receive points by their weekly appearances. Each type of appearance would be worth different amount of points:

Main character appearing in their books: 10 points. Example: Spider-Man in either ASM or PPSSM.

Supporting character appearing in their books: 15 points. Example: Aunt May or MJ in ASM or PPSSM.

Character guest-appearing: 20 points. Example: Deadpool appearance in All-New Wolverine.

Cameo: 5 points. Example: Any character with little to no lines and no impact in the story.

And my favorite part, the Resurrection Bonus in two tiers:

1) Dead character is resurrected and remains alive by the end of the story arc: 100 points bonus plus an extra point for each month between the character's death and resurrection. Example: Jean Grey in Phoenix Resurrection.

2) Dead character is resurrected but dies by the end of the story arc: 50 points bonus. Example: Cyclops in Phoenix Resurrection or Jean Grey in Phoenix: Endsong.

Each player would have a host with 10 to 20 characters and the contest would last 12 months. At the end, we would have monthly winners and an overall yearly winner. Then we would re-draft the characters for the next 12 months. With Fresh Start around the corner, it is the ideal time because we don't all the characters that are going to be in a book.

Thoughts? Ideas?

das_boot

Re: Marvel Fantasy League Contest

Post by das_boot » 03 Mar 2018, 22:42

I. Am. DOWN.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

bamf

Post by bamf » 03 Mar 2018, 23:20

Totes in.
Thunderbolts: Winter Soldier, Agent Venom, Mystique, Arachne, Paladin, Black Cat, Ant-Man, Luke Cage, Kraven

Avengers International: Captain America, Hercules, Storm, Beetle, Doctor Strange, Nightcrawler, Iron Patriot

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 03 Mar 2018, 23:31

Although, what happens if one of your characters die? Do you accumulate points for their death on a sliding scale? Do you get to pull in a sub?
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Wings

Post by Wings » 04 Mar 2018, 00:05

I am in for this :)
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Juggernaut

Post by Juggernaut » 04 Mar 2018, 03:28

I love the idea but is it a locked roster? For instance let's say you have a character such as o5 Jean Grey and six months in the o5 get sent back. Can you then pick a free agent character? Are trades allowed? Just food for thought but I'm definitely interested

Cosmos666

Post by Cosmos666 » 04 Mar 2018, 05:07

das_boot wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 23:31
Although, what happens if one of your characters die? Do you accumulate points for their death on a sliding scale? Do you get to pull in a sub?
Juggernaut wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 03:28
I love the idea but is it a locked roster? For instance let's say you have a character such as o5 Jean Grey and six months in the o5 get sent back. Can you then pick a free agent character? Are trades allowed? Just food for thought but I'm definitely interested
I would prefer a locked roster without substitutions in the event of death because I basically want someone to have the gall to pick a current dead character for their roster in the foolish hope that they will be resurrected and they receive that sweet sweet resurrection bonus. When I say this idea came to me in a dream, I'm telling the truth. The dream in question had me cleaning house because I picked adult Jean Grey in my roster before her return was announced and got the 100 points resurrection bonus plus the extra points for all the months Jean stayed dead i.e. 14 years = 168 months = 168 points. I actually thought it was real for a few seconds after I woke up.

Also it is important to mention that a dead character can still appear in the books in the form of flashbacks. So, if Jean has a flashback with Scott in XMR then you get supporting character points for that appearance.

For characters like the O5 being on borrowed time, this is part of the fun in the game. You know that right now the O5 have their own bi-monthly book which will award at least 20 points each per month but you also know that at any moment you could loose this advantage. It's actually no different than picking a character that has their own solo book at the moment then the book gets cancelled 6 months later and the character vanishes in comic book limbo. But if the majority decides for substitutions, we could create a rule for a limited number of substitutions for the duration of the game like 5 subs in a 20-character for the whole 12 months.

Also, I forgot to mention how I'm classifying the characters:

Main character: in solo books it is the title character. In team books, I use the rosters in the summary page.

Supporting character: in solo books, any character who is strongly associated with the title character or team. Any X-Men who isn't in team right now would be considered supporting for example in the X-books. Some characters will be pulling double duty like Beast who is both associated with the X-Men and the Avengers and Mary Jane who has been a supporting character in both Iron Man and Spider-Man lately.

Finally, how many characters to think is the ideal for the game? My initial idea is for 20 characters but I could change that.

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 05 Mar 2018, 00:38

Good luck is all I have to say. It unfortunately sounds like way too much work for me.

How would one even keep track of the score. Does one draft moderator read every Marvel book and keep track of all characters for all players? If so bless them because that is a Herculean task. The logistics are ambitious and admirable but seem difficult to implement.

I hope it runs smoothly and I'm willing to try after I see how the trial run goes.
Current Pull List
Uncanny X-men, Iceman, Mr & Mrs X, Runaways, West Coast Avengers, Champions, Ms Marvel, Dr Strange, Fantastic Four

Cosmos666

Post by Cosmos666 » 05 Mar 2018, 06:10

You really doesn't need to read the books, just browse through the books and take note of the characters appearing. I already do that when indexing issues in the comicbookdb.com site. Although I do it for a fewer books but I do love indexing things.

Anyway, I had no answer over the substitution rule or the number of characters. Anyone wants to chime in before we begin?

ev82

Post by ev82 » 06 Mar 2018, 02:07

What about alt-reality versions of the characters showing up? Or characters in books outside of regular (Like Renew your vows or Spider Gwen)?

I'm in.
X-Men Editorial Draft
X-Men: Magik|Cannonball|Psylocke|Thunderbird II|Gentile|Petra
All New X-Factor: Havok|Frenzy|Forge|Sunfire|Bloodstorm(Mutant X)|Wild Child|Cipher

Cosmos666

Post by Cosmos666 » 06 Mar 2018, 17:54

ev82 wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 02:07
What about alt-reality versions of the characters showing up? Or characters in books outside of regular (Like Renew your vows or Spider Gwen)?

I'm in.
Alternative reality characters are counted as separate characters. So when drafting your roster you have to specify which one you're claiming: young Jean or adult Jean; Old Man Logan or Prime Wolverine; etc.

So, right now we got das_boot, bamf, Wings, Juggernaut and ev82. I'd like more contestants though. ;)

I also would like to know everyone's opinion about the proposed substitution rule and the number of characters in the roster. If we do 20 characters, I think 5 possible substitutions should be allowed. If we go with my preference of 10 characters then 3 possible substitutions.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 06 Mar 2018, 19:45

I’m down too
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

MrFOOM

Post by MrFOOM » 06 Mar 2018, 19:48

This sounds pretty interesting, especially with Fresh Start round the corner.
Fantasy Draft: Doctor Strange, Hulk, Namor, Venom, Mr. Immortal (off), Professor X, Old Man Logan, Honey Badger, Mary Jane Watson, Thanos, Cosmic Ghost Rider (on).

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 07 Mar 2018, 00:39

I think a roster of 10 seems more sensible. 20 would just lead to people picking filler characters and I kind of feel like that evens the odds of someone picking a really randomly oddball character who, for some reason, ends up being revealed as a cameo character in an upcoming MCU project and therefore appears everywhere for a few months and then is never seen or heard of again

Juggernaut

Post by Juggernaut » 07 Mar 2018, 00:41

I think 10 and 3 are reasonable numbers

Cosmos666

Post by Cosmos666 » 07 Mar 2018, 02:24

Blackcyclops wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 19:45
I’m down too
YEAAAAAHHHHH!

So we already have 6 contestants: das_boot, bamf, Wings, Juggernaut, ev82 and Blackcyclops. I'll wait until Friday 16th for us to start to draft characters to see if we can get more people interest.

If everything goes according to plan, I'll be able to have the spreadsheets (boy, do I love a good spreadsheet) finished by the end of next week. I want to start the contest itself in the first week of next month, April 4th shipment day.

We will have 10-character roster with 3 substitutions allowed. Points will be allocated as explained in the first post and any doubt over a character's classification will be resolved in a case by case basis. I'll try to have the results for each week as quickly as possible but let's agree that I'll post weekly results on Sunday at latest.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 07 Mar 2018, 02:35

I'm kind of interested but considering how many sports leagues I'm in I'm not ready for a huge time commitment like these things often are. Will this be something where I need to constantly monitor my roster, sub people in and out, etc.? Or is it a "set it and forget it" thing? If it's the latter I could be up for it. Also, this is just for funsies right? No wagering involved?
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll
Avengers International Draft: France|Spectrum|Capt. Universe|Swordsman|Batroc|M|Finesse|Deadpool

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Mar 2018, 02:37

How will we pick our roster because I have my 10 right now ready to go lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Cosmos666

Post by Cosmos666 » 07 Mar 2018, 05:39

Anna Raven wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 02:35
I'm kind of interested but considering how many sports leagues I'm in I'm not ready for a huge time commitment like these things often are. Will this be something where I need to constantly monitor my roster, sub people in and out, etc.? Or is it a "set it and forget it" thing? If it's the latter I could be up for it. Also, this is just for funsies right? No wagering involved?
Well, I'm doing all the work really, but it is always good to check and see if I make mistakes. You would have to pay attention to the frequency of appearances of the characters in your roster. If a character is being phased out or killed you should use one of your 3 substitutions to replace it.
Blackcyclops wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 02:37
How will we pick our roster because I have my 10 right now ready to go lol

I'll randomize the order of contestants and each one will, in that order, be able to have their first pick. Once each contestant got their first character the order of contestants is reverse and everyone gets their second pick. Then the order reverses again and everyone picks their third and so forth until the rosters are complete. Obviously no 2 contestants can have the same character in their roster simultaneously.

Cosmos666

Post by Cosmos666 » 16 Mar 2018, 19:18

I'm bumping this up to see if anyone wants to to join before we start to draft rosters. Right now we have 6 contestants: das_boot, bamf, Wings, Juggernaut, ev82 and Blackcyclops. I don't know if Anna Raven wants in or not.

I'll randomize the list of contestants later today and then we can start drafting. Any questions?

MrFOOM

Post by MrFOOM » 16 Mar 2018, 19:43

I'm in if you have room
Fantasy Draft: Doctor Strange, Hulk, Namor, Venom, Mr. Immortal (off), Professor X, Old Man Logan, Honey Badger, Mary Jane Watson, Thanos, Cosmic Ghost Rider (on).

Cosmos666

Post by Cosmos666 » 16 Mar 2018, 20:02

MrFOOM wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 19:43
I'm in if you have room
Sure we have. Did you read the rules? Do you have any questions?

Current list:

das_boot
bamf
Wings
Juggernaut
ev82
Blackcyclops
MrFOOM

MrFOOM

Post by MrFOOM » 16 Mar 2018, 20:10

Cosmos666 wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 20:02
MrFOOM wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 19:43
I'm in if you have room
Sure we have. Did you read the rules? Do you have any questions?

Current list:

das_boot
bamf
Wings
Juggernaut
ev82
Blackcyclops
MrFOOM
Yeah just one, are points calculated differently if the comics aren't in 616? Like Thanos, for example.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Mar 2018, 21:25

Thanos’s comic is in Earth Prime...he’s just currently in a possible future

My X-Men Draft Picks:

MrFOOM

Post by MrFOOM » 16 Mar 2018, 22:11

Isn't it a rule that every possible future is considered a different timeline hence dimension? Like Future Imperfect, DoFP or 2099 all have their own designations.