Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

What should I read?

Level 08: If you want to converse about anything Marvel related like the Fantastic Four or the Avengers charter then try this level.
Nu-D

What should I read?

Post by Nu-D » 20 Jul 2021, 14:37

Looking for a TPB or a couple of TPBs of a non-X Marvel book, published in the last 1-2 years, to buy and read this week. Recently books I enjoyed were Thompson’s Hawkeye, Hopeless’ Spider Woman, and Aaron’s FosThor. Prefer a run that was allowed to go to completion, and wasn’t cut short by crossovers and rebranding.
He/him/his

Blackcyclops

Re: What should I read?

Post by Blackcyclops » 20 Jul 2021, 15:08

Well some runs were purposely “rebranded” like Aaron’s entire Thor saga (which starts before FosThor) and did end with what many consider to be a pretty enjoyable and epic crossover in War of the Realms…so just to put that out there. It’s collected in several TPBs to account for everything and is considered by many to be one of the great Thor runs.

Similarly, the very controversial Dan Slott Spider-man run also has “rebranding” done to follow the shift in main character from Peter to Otto. Another run that has alot of acclaim (as well as detractors) and you could get Cable to talk endlessly about it lol…

Slott also has the amazing Silver Surfer run with Allred but it’s a bit older. Still a great read with a perfect ending. Similarly, you can follow the journey of Loki through Gillen’s Journey into Mystery (probably one of my favorite books of all time) into Gillen’s Young Avengers to Loki Agent of Asgard.

But since our taste rarely if ever align, I’ll just suggest the universally liked Ultimates and Ultimates2 run by Al Ewing. It’s a precursor to SWORD with similar horror elements of Immortal Hulk. If you’re okay with heady concepts, this is the book for you.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

BardicOne

Post by BardicOne » 20 Jul 2021, 18:08

Immortal Hulk for sure.

I kind of start my Spider-Man "run" post Superior. Like nothing against it and it helps to know the general events because they get referenced but Post-Superior was a solid jumping-on point.
Formerly Known As RingOtaku
posting vlogs and game streams at: https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 20 Jul 2021, 19:13

I didn’t say Immortal Hulk because it’s not done yet…but that’s a given.

Soule’s Daredevil run is a good one too…
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

BardicOne

Post by BardicOne » 21 Jul 2021, 01:20

Immortal will be done soon though. So just put it at the bottom of the list lol
posting vlogs and game streams at: https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

Cable

Post by Cable » 21 Jul 2021, 16:54

There are two ongoings that I would recommend.

The first is Immortal Hulk which has already been announced to end at #50 this year. There is a reason you will find this on all the top critics' lists -- it truly is that good. And has been allowed to proceed without interruption all that time, rare tie-ins to events only being done in separate one-shots. The caveat is this is definitely a horror book. There will be no irreverent humor, just doom and gloom. But while the art is going to contain some of the most gory material you will find in a mainstream comic, this isn't schlocky material. It is a book that clearly has a literary influence (I believe you have said you are a Philip K Dick fan; Ewing names him as an inspiration for sequences in this volume). But it also embraces its comic lineage: familiarity with Hulk's history might be necessary to get the most out of it. At a minimum you should probably have read Peter David's run in the late 80s. This book heavily involves the many different versions/personalities of the Hulk that have appeared over the years. It is a character-defining series that I feel confident will be held up among the top comic book runs of all time.

The second would be Rainbow Rowell's Runaways. This is still ongoing but rumored to be ending with the Legacy #100 issue this summer (which will be #38 of this volume). This is another title allowed to do its own thing and it has had a consistent quality throughout its run. If you are looking for action though you won't find much: this is a character drama through-and-through. Which makes it all the more impressive that it is such a good 'superhero' comic. Rowell just does so well with the interactions between this cast. Yet you do not need to have read the original (I didn't and still love this volume) though you should probably have a general idea of who the characters of Runaways are or you might not appreciate some of the developments. This book will have more of the mix of comedy and tragedy if you want both dramatic aspects.

If you want a mini, I would recommend Man Without Fear by Jed Mackay (with a different artist each of the five issues). This actually bridged the gap between the runs of the previous Daredevil writer (Soule) and the current (Zdarsky) but was a good examination of the character and his world in its own right.

P.S. As BC said you should read Slott's Silver Surfer if you haven't, though it is 4-5 years old by now!
Best Comics of Week 29

X-titles: X-Men Legends #5 by Peter David (1) and Todd Nauck (1)
Non-X titles: Extreme Carnage--Phage by Steve Orlando (2) and Gerardo Sandoval (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic this year

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 21 Jul 2021, 18:56

FWIW Immortal’s tie-ins have been good too and followed the more recent pattern of separate tie-in one shots been independently good reads while balancing the overall story of the event with their solo stories.

BardicOne

Post by BardicOne » 23 Jul 2021, 02:35

I loved the Hulk tie-in to Absolute Carnage. Seeing the Hulks/Banner mindscape debating about letting the Symbiote join in was a great peek into how that current balance between the personas works.