Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Daredevil Re-Read: Bendis through Soule

Level 08: If you want to converse about anything Marvel related like the Fantastic Four or the Avengers charter then try this level.
Blackcyclops

Daredevil Re-Read: Bendis through Soule

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Jan 2021, 19:08

So I’m starting this re-read too.

I’m at issue #65 and I have to say that giving Bendis Alex Maleev was f***ing brilliant. His art is so damn beautiful.

I’m already saying that the David Mack 5 parter about Echo is a must-read story. And honestly, makes me wish that Echo got more shine...she needs to be a in good team book where she can shine (a new Thunderbolts maybe) or a more subversion solo with her somewhere outside of NYC.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Nu-D

Re: Daredevil Re-Read: Bendis through Soule

Post by Nu-D » 04 Jan 2021, 21:22

Blackcyclops wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 19:08
So I’m starting this re-read too.

I’m at issue #65 and I have to say that giving Bendis Alex Maleev was f***ing brilliant. His art is so damn beautiful.

I’m already saying that the David Mack 5 parter about Echo is a must-read story. And honestly, makes me wish that Echo got more shine...she needs to be a in good team book where she can shine (a new Thunderbolts maybe) or a more subversion solo with her somewhere outside of NYC.
‘Twas a very good run. Mack’s art is magnificent, and Maleev was a perfect fit for the book. Bendis’ strengths as a writer shine in this run.
He/him/his

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 05 Jan 2021, 16:49

So far, I think I see truly what was Bendis’s biggest issue writing the X-Men: he aimed outside his comfort zone for a theme. I’m not saying there aren’t other legitimate critiques but reading his DD again after so long, I realize that Bendis is much more comfortable debating morality at this scale, at examining the foggy nature of criminality and public good. With the X-Men, particularly the story he was trying to tell, he wasn’t just taking on a different scale of story (the X-Men aren’t street level) but he was playing with the themes of exclusion/inclusion that are at the core of the X-Men. And to make it even more difficult for himself, he solely took on both sides of the argument. This lead to him neglecting in any real way the ideas of integration/multiculturalism and all that on the JGS side and then not really articulating anything on the Cyclops revolution side. Thus he ends up just telling teen superhero stories in ANXM (and as Ultimate Spidey showed, he’s well equipped to tell teen superhero stories but for the X-Men that meant incorporating a larger central cast AND still taking on their larger themes PLUS he saddled himself with the “can I change my destiny” aspect) and a weird vague, undefined “recolutionary” standard X-Men story in Uncanny X-Men (it had the multigenerational basis that alot of the classic X-Men stories have, which looking back was fine BUT layering it with his revolution just messed it all up).

So I’m at issue #77, so I have more to think on but that’s my explanation so far.

Also worth pointing out, he hasn’t really given any of the female characters anything truly to do yet, except for Black Widow (who he never truly used in his Avengers days, interestingly enough). The masterful Echo story was written by David Mack (I really would love for Echo to be made a mutant and join X-Force or whatever just so she can get some proper work).
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 05 Jan 2021, 18:50

So I finished Bendis’s run and now into Brubaker’s and Lark and honestly, I like Brubaker’s alot more. Brubaker’s dialogue feels more varied and less cartoony. The pacing is great and I just think Bru writes a better Kingpin, for me. Bendis’s Kingpin always felt too small...like I couldn’t imagine how THIS guy can control all the crime in NYC. I’ve been watching this docuseries about 80s NYC and John Gotti is in it and he’s so big and large but threatening as hell and still smart, that’s how the Kingpin should feel. And really that’s how, in the short time we see him, Bru’s Kingpin feels.

Bru’s Bullseye and DD feel like a nice continuation of Bendis’s though, so thag’s cool. Even if I think they portray Bullseyeas just a tad too maniacal. Bru’s Foggy seems less sniveling too, I know that’s probably not the best word for it but that’s just the impression he leaves.

I loved Maleev’s art but his art is far less dynamic than Lark’s. Lark’s stuff is just amazing in the battle scenes. Nice that Brubaker had such similar artists on his two solo runs (Epting and Lark). I actually think Lark should take over X-Force’s art.

Anyway, more to come...

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 06 Jan 2021, 06:22

So I’m knee deep in the Mister Fear arc by Brubaker and Lark and damn this is good.

While I still think Bendis was far too quick to move Matt outside the “Kingpin of Hell’s Kitchen” phase (we should’ve done at lwast another 4-5 issue arc in that status quo), his stint in jail and on the run were perfectly paced and spread out. I really appreciated the ending and how it connects back to Vanessa Fisk and forces Matt to do something for Fisk that is half brutal and half so merciful. It was a great end to this chapter of the Kingpin-DD war (Bullseye really needed to the time in Thunderbolts and Dark Avengers to make him more than just the hitman that Bendis and Brubaker made him into).

It’s very refreshing to get Mister Fear but damn I feel so sad for Milla and Melvin...

Oh well #102 is up next...

BardicOne

Post by BardicOne » 07 Jan 2021, 03:44

Was Shadowland during this era? I thought that was a nice mini-event for the street heroes and bringing a new chapter to Daredevil and The Hand.
Formerly Known As RingOtaku
posting vlogs and game streams at: https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Jan 2021, 03:52

BardicOne wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 03:44
Was Shadowland during this era? I thought that was a nice mini-event for the street heroes and bringing a new chapter to Daredevil and The Hand.
It’s after...I’m almost there though.

It’s Bendis-Brubaker-Diggle (which is Shadowland)-Waid-Soule

BardicOne

Post by BardicOne » 07 Jan 2021, 03:58

ah okay. I'm bad about remembering issue numbers correlating to Writers unless I've read the run multiple times.
Formerly Known As RingOtaku
posting vlogs and game streams at: https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Jan 2021, 04:27

BardicOne wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 03:58
ah okay. I'm bad about remembering issue numbers correlating to Writers unless I've read the run multiple times.

Yeah I suck at actual numbers but decent at remembering like the order..

And DD benefits from having a very clear line of succession...

Bendis and Maleev, now Brubaker and Lark(sometimes Aja), and then I forgot who’s with Soule. I’m almost there though

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Jan 2021, 12:26

Okay so I just finished DD #500 and man what a journey.

I appreciate how there’s no big explanation for why the Hand chose DD yet and I loved seeing Kingpin get played (his sanity slipping is a sorta tragic story). Master Izo is my favorite kind of mystery kick-ass sensei character, like someone right out of an old kungfu movie. Dakota and Foggy really are some put upon people, sheesh. Funny thing about Black Tarantula is that I was remember first reading him in Spider-man when he devastated Ben Reilly with all this power and here he seems like someone on par with maybe like the Enforcers or something lol...It’s fun seeing the White Tiger identity grow and change here, especially since I know where it ends up.

Really though, I just appreciate how you can fully see how Matt could be at this place now. Bendis really took him through the wringer with the exposure of his identity and then Brubaker put’em in jail, took him international, gave’em and took his wife and then pushed him so close to edge by messing with his friends, this is just a logical place for him. And it makes it even better when you think about all the stuff that happened in the larger MU along the way (Civil War, Secret Invasion and now Dark Reign). I am so excited to read what’s next. I had to drop DD at this point back in the day and didn’t come back until Shadowland.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » Yesterday, 23:30

Andy Diggle had some real big shoes to fill and in some ways he perfectly closed out the story began by BMB. I did add in the Shadowland miniseries and as a mini-event it was great:paced well, great art and had moments for everyone (Spidey really stood out). But when read as a part of DD’s story, I still feel like DD’s descent happened too quickly. And that’s not Diggle’s fault, BMB and Brubaker both moved DD through his crucibles so fast that some of them never felt fully realized (being in jail and DD as the Kingpin of Hell’s Kitchen). Diggle does a good job making Black Tarantula more into a character but I feel bad that White Tiger doesn’t get to do much outside being mind controlled. Dakota is still great and I wish we got more Becky...overall, I think it was pretty good and closed off this uber-dark era pretty well.

And who does Waid get for art? Khoi Pham (KILLING IT) and guest spot from Marco Checchetto (firing on all cylinders)...but the true star is one of my all time favorite artist: Paolo Rivera! And in the issue I’m reading now, Chris Samnee! I enjoyed the artist in the last volume but damn so far I just forgot how amazing these guys were in combination with Waid’s writing.

I fully believe that no other writer just shows a love for writing comics like Mark Waid...I’m 15 issues in and this has been a refreshing take after Bendis-Brubaker-Diggle. Waid balances humor with thrills, street level stuff with some deeply ingrained MU mythos and ideas. I do miss the focus on his supporting cast but I feel that Waid’s handling off Matt feels the most authentic and honest. I read each issue and feel not just that this is the same man with all the burden of before, also someone who is living as the man without fear.

I really look forward to reading more.