Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Spider-Man from the beginning

Level 08: If you want to converse about anything Marvel related like the Fantastic Four or the Avengers charter then try this level.
Crutey Anth

Spider-Man from the beginning

Post by Crutey Anth » 25 Nov 2018, 21:05

I've started a blog about comics! My first little quest is to re-read and review/discuss/joke about where necessary the full Stan Lee run on Spider-Man. (It was a toss up between this and Sandman...Sandman would need a lot more time so I thought I'd cut my teeth with my favourite super-hero)

What is the purpose and point of this blog?
I’ve been wanting to talk about comics somewhere for a while. Not like many other sites do though getting caught up in coming twists/turns/solicitations/who is writing a new series vs who got cancelled. I’d rather spend some time at the minute looking back on some of my favourite series and discussing.

I’ve had a serious case of inertia in doing this (its an idea I’ve kicked around for the longest time). The death of Stan Lee however has acted as a bit of a rocket; I decided to go back on Marvel Unlimited and re-read his initial run on Spider-Man (which knowing me may spin into a wholesale re-read but that’d be a big undertaking, so his issues are a starting point).

Spider-Man is in my opinion not only the best super-hero of all time but one of the best characters ever.

I figured I’d see if some others wanted to come along too- I’m going to talk about what happened, the good, the bad and whatever take I have on them (some things haven’t aged as well as others…and some when read with the right squint become quite funny where it wasn’t intended to be so).

So if you fancy a read/read along come join me
https://crutescomics.wordpress.com/2018 ... antasy-15/

Spectral Knight

Re: Spider-Man from the beginning

Post by Spectral Knight » 26 Nov 2018, 06:31

Liked this retrospective! I always thought Pete was very unlikable in this initial story, and it took a while for his everyman personality to come through. I liked the supervillain foreshadowing you higlighted... Pete (and Spider-Man) really could have gone the other way with his resentment of social isoation followed by the tragedy of Uncle Ben.

Sally wasn't quite as one-note as you suggested...spoilering in case you go onto to do the full Spidey canon...
Spoiler: show
She did go on to become Blackbird in the Untold Stories series by Busiek (basically a colour swapped Snowbird outfit), and has appeared in no less than three movies.
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

Crutey Anth

Re: Spider-Man from the beginning

Post by Crutey Anth » 28 Nov 2018, 19:50

Thanks!

I'll make sure to mention it when she crops up again (I think he does appear in some future issues)