Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Marvel Family of Characters Design

Level 08: If you want to converse about anything Marvel related like the Fantastic Four or the Avengers charter then try this level.
Blackcyclops

Marvel Family of Characters Design

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 Jun 2018, 20:03

Looking at the cover to Spider-ggedon I realized that of all the family of titles, the Spiders have the overall best design. I mean let’s look at the main Spideys:

Spider-man (PP)=classic, one of the greatest costumes of all time.

SpOck= another great design...a modern twist on the classic

Spider-Gwen=such a stylish spin on the Spider look...

Scarlet Spider= I dont care, its a great look for that particular character...a makeshift remix of the classic

Spider-man 2099=a sleek look with some very cool horror like elements, making it one of the scariest...

Venom= simple, clean and amazing...

May Parker= she’s rocking my personally second favorite Spidey costume but looks even cooler on a more traditional feminine frame

What other family of characters have a great design? Let’s talk art!
    I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
    Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

MrFOOM

Re: Marvel Family of Characters Design

Post by MrFOOM » 09 Jun 2018, 20:57

I personally really like Silk's design too, more than Gwen's. The white and black is a great sort of stealthy/ninjaesque style but the red touches in her face mask and S logo really complete the look for me. Spiders do benefit from spinning off of the most popular character in Spider-Man though. Don't think we'll see this kind of variety in alternate universe (or even in universe) designs with many other solo characters.

I think the Wolverines have great looks. Wolverine's tan suit is one of my favourite costumes, and I think the Yellow and Blue actually looks better on Laura than it ever did on Logan. I dig Gabby's goggles and mask look too on the cover of ANW #20.

Hulk's my favourite so I could talk about him for ages. He is someone who himself is his own family of designs. From the apelike savage/classic form, to the menacing Frankenstein monster look of the Grey Hulk, to the handsome chiselled jaw of Prof Hulk the Hulk just has the potential for a great flexible design. One artist could have him as simply a large muscular man while others draw him as a freakish monstrosity (my personal preference, absolutely love Bennett's current Immortal design).

I also really like She Hulk who rocks a more professional & athletic design while still invoking the power you expect from Hulk. I don't like the Ross Red Hulk's design because ultimately it's just a recolour but I like Maverick's because it has more personal touches with the moustache, shades and sometimes bandolier. Maestro is one of my favourite Hulk designs. It's not as big and monstrous but he makes up for it with his long white hair and beard. He looks regal and barbaric which fits with him being more cunning and experienced as well as more powerful than present day Hulk.
    Fantasy Draft: Doctor Strange, Hulk, Namor, Venom, Mr. Immortal (off), Professor X, Old Man Logan, Honey Badger, Mary Jane Watson, Thanos, Cosmic Ghost Rider (on).

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 Jun 2018, 22:24

I’m mad i forgot Silk...she has such a fun design.
    I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
    Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 10 Jun 2018, 09:31

Definitely with you on the Spiders having the best design. I guess because they start with Spider-Man, with one of the best costumes of all time, and spun out all these great designs on that original brilliant design. I think that's one reason why Spider-Verse was a hit; lots of great looking characters

Wings

Post by Wings » 10 Jun 2018, 12:23

I love the updated look Julia Carpenter sported in Omega Flight and the Grim Hunt, and which she passed on to Anya Corazon/Spider-Girl. Plays with the design just enough to make it distinct from Venom or black-suited Spidey.
    Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
    viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 10 Jun 2018, 13:39

I think this is difficult. Realistically, if you look at other teams you only really have the FF who have a very “family” feel of costumes. Yes, the X-Men have their classic blue and gold, and had their “street feel” Morrison era costumes, and while there’s an argument to be made that their costumes all have similar motifs and accents, you then look at the Avengers and there isn’t really a coherent motif/team feel.

I do think that the Fantastic Four have a great concept and a very cohesive feel but like... their title wouldn’t feel correct if they weren’t. I think that with the whole point of the X-Men being that they’re different from the human majority, it kind of almost makes sense that they retain individual costumes. That said, I really do think that the Wolverine costume works even better on Laura than Logan...

I get that they’re not Marvel, but Doom Patrol used to have a very team look...
    Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 13 Jun 2018, 10:39

FLASHBACK!

I already declared my love for Flashback in my "Confess Your Unpopular X-Men Opinion", but hear me out. His costume isn't brilliant, his costume's gimmick is. The black and white costume that gets its colors inverted on its duplicates, I like that.

Now out of that simple concept, Marvel (well, specifically Hickman, Hickman and I should form a Flashback-fanclub together) spun not 1, not 2, but 3 other characters!

Flashback's son and daughter from Secret Warriors
    https://uncannyxmen.net/sites/default/f ... back05.jpg

And Kingdom, from Hickman's Omega Flight that appeared in his Avengers epos
    https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/mar ... 0508090552

3 spin-off characters, not bad for such an obscure character.

Also, Batman. Not Marvel, I know, but man did he have some cool designs spinning out of him. I am partial towards Batwing.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 20 Jun 2018, 06:27

Not a strict 'family' in terms of a book franchise but I love the different iterations of the Pheonix costume design. Even the Pheonix 5 looked pretty sleek and powerful. I think the Pheonix raptor insignia / motiff just works so well and can scale from a really small accent to a full upper body design.

Thoughts on the different applications of the Captain Marvel related characters? Problem with these is that they fall into two different versions - the spin on the original CM's Kree soldier outfit (a look I'm not a fan of) vs the red / blue version which has worked really well for the original, Carol, Genis and Phyla.
    X-Editorial:
    X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
    Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom