Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Guardians of the Galaxy Draft

Level 08: If you want to converse about anything Marvel related like the Fantastic Four or the Avengers charter then try this level.
Cable

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Draft

Post by Cable » 11 Feb 2018, 16:47

ev82 wrote:
11 Feb 2018, 16:03
I’ll take Neutron of the Imperial Guard. Can someone post a pic for me please?
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 11 Feb 2018, 18:39

Pitch for my team's book:

The Fraternity of Raptors are growing out of control and are a considerable threat to the cosmos. They have been razing worlds all over. Frustrated with dealing with a corrupt and inept Nova Corps, Rich Rider gathers some honest Nova recruits, Quasar, Moondragon, Ikon, and Darkhawk to deal with them once and for all.

Operating out of Knowhere, the team receives a report of a Raptor attack on a Shi'ar world. When they arrive, they find the Raptors have slaughtered the Imperial Guard, only Manta having survived. The Raptors, seeing the team, ramp up the destruction of the world on which they're battling. Barely escaping, the team takes Manta back to Knowhere to heal. This latest world was Malik Tarcel's home world, and having heard of its destruction, he demands to take a more active role in the downfall of the Raptors.

While gathering as a team to strategize, Darkhawk senses a curious presence coming through the Continuum Cortex - the Plutonia who joined the Raptors has come to Knowhere, desperately seeking help to stop the Raptors. She retained her Plutonia abilities, on top of her Raptor powers, and thus has access to the Raptors' datasong - the Raptors, because of some side effect of the amalgamation of Plutonia's powers, cannot detect her presence in the datasong. Plutonia also reveals that Mentor, who became a Raptor with her and who she used to love, has totally and completely become ingratiated into the Raptors. This news is grim, as Mentor is one the most brilliant minds and strategists in the universe.

Plutonia reveals the Raptors' next target to the team: Sakaar. On their way to the planet, they bump into Hiroim, who has discovered the Raptors' intentions as well. He joins their team enthusiastically.

That's kind of all I have at the moment. There's a lot of Shi'ar representation on my team, which I think is fitting. It's a powerful team, but will they be enough to defeat Talonar, Mentor, and the Raptors?
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 11 Feb 2018, 20:55

For my last pick I will take the former Avenger Deathcry.

I don't know if I will get around to a full write up about my team, not sure they deserve one. :P I honestly was mostly just picking popular characters that I like, since I know next to nothing about Marvel's cosmic side. (This was a really terrible draft to give me the number 1 pick btw lol).

If I had to come up with a story though, I would just make it where the Beyonders have come back following several years of oblivion after Secret Wars. As we all know they are obscenely powerful and there is very little anyone could do to defeat them. But the thing about my team is they have a lot of smarts, a lot of force of will, and a lot of gumption. Silver Surfer will of course lead the team, and the Uranian will sort of serve as the big brain. Between Lockjaw, Groot, and Surfer they have at least three characters who would make the ultimate sacrifice to save the universe. That's the sort of heroism our little ragtag bunch will need. Also, Uranian will figure out pretty early on that one of the Beyonders biggest weaknesses is Time. Surfer will get the Time Gem from whoever happens to have it these days, and insert it in Lockjaw's Tuning Fork, turning him into the greatest time-travelling/teleporting dog this galaxy has ever known, able to take them to any point in time and space, as long as he has enough kibble. So using the fact that Beyonders can only move linearly through time, they will collect enough power to defeat the Beyonders once and for all.

I'll probably make it at the end too, that they defeat the Beyonders in a scene similar to the first Guardians movie, where they all hold hands and win using the power of friendship. Only this time, they will EACH be holding an Infinity Stone, or a Cosmic Cube, or some other great and powerful artifact.
DC Draft Results: Martian Manhunter | Zatanna | GL (John Stewart) | Shazam! | Flash (Barry Allen)| Katana | Hawkman
Legion of Doom: Sinestro | Black Adam | Flash's Rogues

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 12 Feb 2018, 07:54

And we're done! Thank you all for playing, I hope you all enjoyed it. I know there were many obscure characters in there and the drop off from well known to "who the hell is that" was pretty steep but I hope that didn't harm your enjoyment to much. There were a number of characters I considered including, particularly X characters like Cerise, Kid Gladiator, Warbird and Professor X (who was a Starjammer) but I didn't want to stack the deck with too many X-Characters. I also considered the Fantastic Four and a few other Avengers but thought I better some some characters for the next game, if we ever do another one :D . I know the cosmic isn't everyone's forte so thanks for giving it a go :D

Here's everyone's final draft teams:

Anna Raven
Nemeses: The Beyonders
Silver Surfer
Groot
Lockjaw
Nova (Sam Alexander)
Smasher (Izzy Kane)
The Uranian (Bob Grayson)
Korg
Meik
Deathcry

Ev82
Nemeses: The Celestials
Polaris
Gladiator
Lilandra Neramani
Medusa
Korvus
Major Victory
Hepzibah
Irani Rael (Nova Corps)
Neutron

OffDaCheney
Nemesis: The Cancerverse
Angela
The Thing
Agent Venom
ROM the Spaceknight
Nikki Gold (Guardians 3000)
Charlie 27 (Guardians 3000)
Yellow Jacket (Rita Demara)
Aleta Ogord / Starhawk (Guardians 3000)
Martinex (Guardians 3000)

Spectral Knight
Nemeses: The Magus
Adam Warlock
Captain Universe (Tamara Devoux)
Star-Hawk
Pheonix IX
Oracle
Nova (Frankie Raye)
Mainframe (Guardians 3000)
Replica (Guardians 3000)
Mentor

Juggernaut
Nemeses: The Badoon
Havok
Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)
Star-Lord
Iron Man
Black Bolt
Hollywood (Simon Williams)
Starfox
Yondu Udonta (Guardians 3000)
Morrow (Nova Corps)

Cable
Nemesis: J'Son of Spartax
Rocket Raccoon
Karnak
Corsair
Pip the Troll
Cosmo
Ch'od
Jack Flag
Tana Nile
Sikorsky

Wings
Nemeses: The Elders of the Universe
Noh-Varr
Firelord
Mantis
Abigail Brand
Air-Walker
Xenith
Stella-Nega (Guardians 1000)
Magique
Ganymede

WorldWideWade
Nemeses: Annihilation Wave
Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell)
Phyla-Vell
Genis-Vell
Ronan the Accuser
Crystal
Korath the Pursuer
Bug
Gorgon
Qubit (Nova Corps)

Antibody
Nova (Richard Rider)
Quasar (Wendell Vaughn)
Moondragon
Darkhawk
Plutonia (Raptor)
Hiroim
Ikon
Malik Tarcel (Nova Corps)
Manta

TokenBG1009
Nemeses: Thanos and the Black Order
Spectrum
Black Panther
Gamora
Abyss
Ex Nihilo
Jack of Hearts
Cammi
Fang
Stargazer (Guardians 1000)

MrFoom
Nemeses: The Brood
Caiera the Oldstrong
Super-Skrull
The Champion
Stardust (Herald)
Monark Starstalker
Praxagora
Hobgoblin (Imperial Guard)
Wraith (Zak-Del)
No-Name the Brood

Blackcylops
Nemesis: The First Firmament
Quasar (Avril Kincaid)
Blue Marvel
Beta Ray Bill
Kismet
Warlock
Makkari
Captain Universe (Gabriel Vargas)
Sundragon
Krugarr (Guardians 3000)

RingOtaku
Nemesis: Vulcan
Rachel Grey
Shadowcat
Drax the Destroyer
Spirit of Vengeance (Guardians 3000)
Starbolt (Imperial Guard)
Lockheed
Death's Head
Raza Longknife
Triton

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 12 Feb 2018, 08:12

It was great fun, and thanks for organising, Gibbering Fool, it was evident how much you'd dug into the archives with such a wide spread of characters - really enjoyed this draft.

Didn't really think of myself as a massive cosmic fan prior to the Annihilation stories but this game shows what a treasure trove of space hopping characters there is at Marvel.
MCU Draft
Heroes - Jessica Jones|Rocket|Ghost Rider|Leo Fitz|Sif|Howard Stark|Gert + Old Lace
Villains: Loki|Killgrave|Ego
X-Editorial: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Meggan, Maverick

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 12 Feb 2018, 08:13

And here's draft pics the stragglers that didn't make the cut:

Aerolite (Guardians 1000)
Astra (Imperial Guard)
The Coloniser (Guardians 1000)
Earthquake (Imperial Guard)
Electron (Imperial Guard)
Fraktur (Nova Corps)
Maxam (Infinity Watch)
Morfex (Star Masters)
Skytower (Guardians 1000)
Talon (Guardians 3000)
Titan (Imperial Guard)
Warstar (Imperial Guard)

All these make sense as they're pretty obscure, like Morfex of the Guardians 1000 character, or they're underdeveloped like the Imperial Guardsman. The Guardians 1000 characters only appeared in one four part mini and Morfex only in 5 issues in the early 90s ( I just threw him in as a gag really :lol: ).

What did everyone think of the Nemesis pick? I was inspired by WorldWideWade's Headquarters pick round in his X-Men draft. I thought often the team can be defined by the enemy. Who your villain is can help determine who's on your team. Did anyone think that helped?

Here's the Nemeses that didn't make the cut:

Amatseru Mikaboshi/The Chaos King
The Builders
Dire Wraiths
Ego the Living Planet
Nebula
Oblivion (with Maelstrom and/or Deathurge)
The Phalanx

MrFOOM

Post by MrFOOM » 12 Feb 2018, 08:23

Title: Guardians of the Galaxy

The idea behind my book is pretty simple in terms of plot. It's more of an exercise in character relationships and how a team can possibly reach its goal when nobody likes each other, everyone's got an ego, and they're not even heroes. The book is more of a mini than an ongoing, around 12 issues. Also the whole team doesn't come together immediately in the first issue. It's a little bit slower setting up the nemesis and conflicts first.

The Galaxy is in serious peril. The Brood have grown immensely in numbers and strength and have wiped out a number of planets. When the usual cosmic heroes have been called upon to defeat them they have underestimated their numbers and one by one been defeated and eventually had their powers assimilated into new Broodlings, further increasing their strength. Some of Earth's mightiest heroes decide to help their space counterparts and put together a team to head into space. Meanwhile No-Name has been receiving strong sensations while chemming that grow by the day, and when the Earth heroes make their decision she feels an urge to sneak on board the ship carrying the heroes into space. Seeing that the Brood Empire has risen to such powerful numbers she feels a strong urge to rejoin her people. However her time on Sakaar and on Earth has changed her as she isn't an evil hive minded Brood and uniquely has independent thought. This conflict within herself as well as the sudden revelation of her presence causes yet another team's demise who also have their abilities assimilated.

From this point No-Name flees and runs into the Champion. Champion has already been fighting small Brood units by himself because he feels his "title" is under threat if the Universe is overrun by the Brood. No-Name catches a beating but she persuades him that she's not one of them and they both share the same goal of stopping the Brood Empire. Champion reluctantly agrees but he does not trust her one bit. As a joke he calls himself the Guardian of the Galaxy since the actual team is dead and he's doing their job now. They start putting together a group in different ways (some have to rescued, some persuaded, one even kidnapped forcefully) as they travel across the Galaxy until finally they have a crew big enough to take on the Emperess. Essentially it's like an Aliens mixed with Zombies type story with a mismatched group of survivors banding together. There's all kinds of Brood hybrids as enemies, like Skrulls, Kree, the Shi'ar / Imperial Guard as well as Brood with the powers of heroes. And it won't just be fighting Brood in every issue, some missions will require stealth and sneaking through the Brood ranks (where the shapeshifter comes in handy) and the team won't always work together. Sometimes they'll split up, other times they'll be fighting amongst each other. There will of course be twists and turns along the way and No-Name's conflict of rejoining the Brood versus ending them will also play a big part. At first I wanted the story to have nothing to do with Earth but since No-Name is on Earth it was an opportunity to get some Earth heroes killed and assimilated as well. But other than that the entire story takes place out in space with no contact or connection to Earth.
Last edited by MrFOOM on 12 Feb 2018, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
Fantasy Draft: Doctor Strange, Hulk, Namor, Venom, Mr. Immortal (off), Professor X, Old Man Logan, Honey Badger, Mary Jane Watson, Thanos, Cosmic Ghost Rider (on).

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 12 Feb 2018, 08:26

Liked the idea of the big bad a lot, it didn't necessarily shape my team too much with the exception of Replica but maybe that's because I was quite clear in my core team formation and knew early on I wanted the Magus as my nemesis.

If I couldn't get the Magus (and had lost out on Thanos really early doors who also would have worked really well against a Warlock led team!) I'd have had to adapt my team a bit more I think but really enjoyed seeing how others shaped their team against their prime villains.

Very surprised both the Phalanx and Ego were left aside, both brilliant villains.

Great suggestion for a draft game.
MCU Draft
Heroes - Jessica Jones|Rocket|Ghost Rider|Leo Fitz|Sif|Howard Stark|Gert + Old Lace

MrFOOM

Post by MrFOOM » 12 Feb 2018, 08:32

I enjoyed this draft. Cosmic is absolutely outside of my Marvel comics wheelhouse, Planet Hulk is about as far as it goes since it's my favourite book, but I got to learn about some new characters and stories within Marvel which I'll be sure to check out when I can.

The Nemesis pick was a great touch gives a fixed purpose to the team building.
Fantasy Draft: Doctor Strange, Hulk, Namor, Venom, Mr. Immortal (off), Professor X, Old Man Logan, Honey Badger, Mary Jane Watson, Thanos, Cosmic Ghost Rider (on).

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 12 Feb 2018, 10:35

Great draft, GF!! I really loved it! It was fun to take part, and I really liked the nemesis element! Made it all very interesting and gave everyone the chance to define what their team is all about. I love reading the pitches when drafts are done - it's fun to get a peek into everyones' minds!

Til the next one, y'all! Thanks again GF!! Great job!!
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 12 Feb 2018, 14:28

Thanks GF it was fun.

My team was very straight forward. It was no surprise that I couldn't get Silver Surfer which I wanted for the same reason as Anna Raven (Slott run was so amazing) so I decided to go with the original Mar-Vell having recently read the Starlin run. Then I mostly wanted to make my Shazam/Captain Marvel family joke but also thought it would be interesting to have that family dynamic. I considered doing a Kree/Inhuman power struggle but quickly realized I would only be able to grab a couple of the Inhumans so went with a more Live Kree or Die theme. Finally, I always liked the Starship Troopers aspect of the Annihilation Wave and went for it. So basically I adlibbed on the fly throughout the draft until I ended up with the Marvelous Kree Resistance.
X-Editorial Draft:
Emma Frost, Kid Omega, Rockslide, Stepford Cuckoos, Doop

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 12 Feb 2018, 14:33

Also sorry for the double post but I wanted to float a new draft idea to be started up around April. I wanted to gauge the interest in a DC draft. I've wanted to do one for awhile and was wondering which of the three options would be most popular:

1) Justice League Draft - pretty much every DC Hero available
2) DC All-Stars - The top DC characters both Hero and Villain
3) Marvel vs DC - Similar to the Uncanny Avengers draft where you have to alternate between Marvel and DC character picks. This would probably be mostly heroes but with a few villains chucked in.

I figure the Marvel vs DC would be fun but wanted to know if people would like to try a pure DC one first.
X-Editorial Draft:

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 12 Feb 2018, 18:10

I know next to nothing at all about DC so I'd probably skip anything DC, and be a learning bystander.
MCU Draft

MrFOOM

Post by MrFOOM » 12 Feb 2018, 18:23

WorldWideWade wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 14:33
Also sorry for the double post but I wanted to float a new draft idea to be started up around April. I wanted to gauge the interest in a DC draft. I've wanted to do one for awhile and was wondering which of the three options would be most popular:

1) Justice League Draft - pretty much every DC Hero available
2) DC All-Stars - The top DC characters both Hero and Villain
3) Marvel vs DC - Similar to the Uncanny Avengers draft where you have to alternate between Marvel and DC character picks. This would probably be mostly heroes but with a few villains chucked in.

I figure the Marvel vs DC would be fun but wanted to know if people would like to try a pure DC one first.
I'd be down for a Marvel vs DC one. Can see a lot of people being upset with that one though lol

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 12 Feb 2018, 18:51

I don't know a whole lot of DC but would be down for a justice league draft.

And not to go into draft overload but I mentioned before having a Marvel Cinematic Universe/ X-movies draft if people are interested? Was planning to start it just after black panther released, if like I said people aren't overwhelmed by so many drafts on top of each other?
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 12 Feb 2018, 19:32

Magik84 wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 18:51
I don't know a whole lot of DC but would be down for a justice league draft.

And not to go into draft overload but I mentioned before having a Marvel Cinematic Universe/ X-movies draft if people are interested? Was planning to start it just after black panther released, if like I said people aren't overwhelmed by so many drafts on top of each other?
If you want to do the MCU draft I'll hold off on the DC draft until the summer sometime. I would play an MCU draft but wouldn't be able to participate until the second weekend of March.
X-Editorial Draft:

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 12 Feb 2018, 20:17

I'd be more interested in MCU than DC. And for DC, really only Marvel v DC holds much interest.
DC Draft Results: Martian Manhunter | Zatanna | GL (John Stewart) | Shazam! | Flash (Barry Allen)| Katana | Hawkman
Legion of Doom: Sinestro | Black Adam | Flash's Rogues

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 12 Feb 2018, 20:35

I'd be up for any of those Antibody. I'd say youd have the most luck with the DC vs Marvel one (that pesky Access causing trouble!) but the All Stars one could work too since it would be a lot of recognisable names.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 12 Feb 2018, 23:12

If you do the MCU draft, will you be using Netflix, AoS, and/or Runaways?
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 12 Feb 2018, 23:33

EphemeristX wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 23:12
Yes will be using all of them. With there being less movie characters then comic counterparts want to make sure there's good variety. Also like this draft going to have a villain pick too.

OffDaCheney

Post by OffDaCheney » 13 Feb 2018, 04:28

I'd participate in a movie draft.
"Who X's the X-Men?"

Draft Teams: X-Men "The X-Defenders", Exiles "The Ubiquitous Undecate", GotG "The Defenders of Deep Space"

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 13 Feb 2018, 09:21

Magik84 wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 23:33
EphemeristX wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 23:12
Yes will be using all of them. With there being less movie characters then comic counterparts want to make sure there's good variety. Also like this draft going to have a villain pick too.
I'd be up for it! Hell, with Disney seemingly buying Fox you could potentially include all the X-men film characters too if needed the numbers :-)

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 13 Feb 2018, 20:20

Gibbering Fool wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 09:21

I'd be up for it! Hell, with Disney seemingly buying Fox you could potentially include all the X-men film characters too if needed the numbers :-)
Yeah originally I was thinking just official MCU but could have more players adding x-universe and figure people can choose if they want to mix and match for their team or just choose one universe if they like.

Anyway I'll start a new topic so I won't derail this tread any more.