Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

Phasing out X-Men/FF Merchandise

Level 08: If you want to converse about anything Marvel related like the Fantastic Four or the Avengers charter then try this level.
LockheedAndLoaded

Phasing out X-Men/FF Merchandise

Post by LockheedAndLoaded » 10 Aug 2017, 22:54

Does anyone know when exactly Marvel started moving away from X-Men and Fantastic Four merchandise? This has been going on for a while, but I was wondering the specific time-frame of when they started shunning the properties they couldn't use for the MCU...
I am Lockheed, dragon from space and slayer of untold Brood (may they burn in the fires of the Black Sun for all eternity).

Blackcyclops

Re: Phasing out X-Men/FF Merchandise

Post by Blackcyclops » 10 Aug 2017, 23:14

Depends on which type of merch you talking...the comic book-y shirts still have them on it and they just dropped an X-mem figure line. Now video games and stuff? I'd say 09 or 08.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Cable

Post by Cable » 10 Aug 2017, 23:22

Blackcyclops wrote:
10 Aug 2017, 23:14
Depends on which type of merch you talking...the comic book-y shirts still have them on it and they just dropped an X-mem figure line. Now video games and stuff? I'd say 09 or 08.
For video games it was later than that. X-Men Destiny was a video game released in 2011, and the Deadpool video game released in 2013. It is just the past three years or so they seem to have decided to entirely focus on MCU stuff.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 10 Aug 2017, 23:24

Oh...I'd trust Cable, he knows this stuff lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 11 Aug 2017, 05:01

Not exactly merchandise related, but 2015 was the first year Marvel put out a lineup poster without the X-Men or Fantastic Four. I think this lasted 2 years before they threw X-23 on one during the All New All Different relaunch.
When I spy my third eye
it’s extremely high voltage
That’s why I need ruby quartz glasses
cause when I glance at the chest
Then I might blast the masses…
- Linkin Park feat. Pharoah Monche- “High Voltage (Remix)”

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Aug 2017, 10:44

Jean Grey and Cyclops also popped up on the Legacy posters...so was the Thing.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 11 Aug 2017, 12:49

Blackcyclops wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 10:44
Jean Grey and Cyclops also popped up on the Legacy posters...so was the Thing.
True, but I was looking at this from the big MARVEL posters they put out every year or so. Less so the Events/Banners.

These posters
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2015/06/ ... up-poster/
When I spy my third eye

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Aug 2017, 12:53

Oh, okay I haven't seen those in a few years myself. Honestly I'm not sure if those posters are more heavily viewed or utilized than the promotional banners like the Legacy stuff. But I see your point.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 11 Aug 2017, 17:02

Computer game wise...Marvel Avengers Alliance (the old facebook game) stopped introducing new X-Men characters are Cannonball in mid 2014. The game continued for another 2 years but not a single new X-Men character appeared after. Marvel Puzzle Quest (an app game) seems to have gone the same way. I believe the last X-Men characters were Old Man Logan and X-23 and they came out about a year ago.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Aug 2017, 17:58

Well if it's only a year ago, did they permanently stop introducing them or just haven't done so lately? Like Alliance definitely stopped cause alot more other characters were introduced in the time before it ended.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 11 Aug 2017, 19:05

In MPQ the X-Men were pretty regular. They were working through the O5 but stopped short of Angel. The past year they have gone from Guardians, to Inhumans to SpiderMan characters. It's gone on long enough now to notice the lack of Mutants.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 11 Aug 2017, 19:55

At least Marvel Heroes is still actively introducing X-Men. The PC version has Domino as upcoming and the Console version's starting line-up was about a third X-Men with one of the first new characters added being Nightcrawler.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 12 Aug 2017, 03:17

Contest of Champions introduced Iceman, Psylocke, Archangel, and Cable all this year. Last year they added Phoenix, X-23, and Old Man Logan.

Future Fight actually made a HUGE deal out of them adding X-Men this year when they were super MCU focused previously. There's been a strong shift back towards the X-Men lately.
When I spy my third eye

Cable

Post by Cable » 12 Aug 2017, 10:18

tokenBG1009 wrote:
12 Aug 2017, 03:17
There's been a strong shift back towards the X-Men lately.
Getting the cooperation deal for the television shows helped I think. Marvel actually advertises the X-Men shows on their social media now.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Aug 2017, 10:35

I didn't know there was a deal, just that Fox finally out up the effort to make them.

I thought what was more impactful was the success of DP and Logan.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 12 Aug 2017, 10:41

Well DP has been a critical juggernaut so I'm sure Fox and Marvel want to really capitalise on it. I'm glad that there seems to be some kind of easing in the tension between the two companies of late. You are probably right in that the deal that brought us Legion and Gifted has allowed the X-Men to be used again in other media.

LockheedAndLoaded

Post by LockheedAndLoaded » 12 Aug 2017, 21:58

I asked Joe Quesada about X-Men merchandise at a convention because I was curious as to what he'd say about it in front of a crowd. He swiftly evaded the question with a "I don't work in that department, I can't say anything." I then asked him if he could contact whoever was in that department and pester them. He said something along the lines of "sure" to get rid of me and someone (Nick Lowe I believe) rescued him by pointing out that the X-Men had been added to Future Fight.

Fortunately, someone one-upped my awkward question by asking about Secret Empire...
I am Lockheed, dragon from space and slayer of untold Brood (may they burn in the fires of the Black Sun for all eternity).

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 12 Aug 2017, 23:57

To be fair these decisions are being made above Joe Quesada's paygrade. Which is sad. I get the feeling most of the creative people at Marvel are just as disheartened by the war over IP as anyone else.
X-Men 1872: Rogue|Deadpool|Old Man Logan|Moonstar|San Francisco(HQ)|Thunderbird I|Cecilia Reyes|Stacy X|Lady Deathstrike|Mariko Yashida|Scorpion Boy

LockheedAndLoaded

Post by LockheedAndLoaded » 13 Aug 2017, 17:38

Anna Raven wrote:
12 Aug 2017, 23:57
To be fair these decisions are being made above Joe Quesada's paygrade. Which is sad. I get the feeling most of the creative people at Marvel are just as disheartened by the war over IP as anyone else.
This is true. From the way Nick Lowe was talking about the X-Men at a later panel, you can really tell that he's a fan and you get the sense that he's sad about this whole feud thing. I thanked one creator for "bringing back the X-Men" and they were glad to hear that, though they solemnly noted "if you guys didn't buy our books, we'd be replaced very easily."

I get the impression that absolutely no one who's actually involved in the creative process has a say in the matter- this is all because some faceless suits above it all that see money, not characters. However, the weird part is that they are pretty much giving away the market for X-Men merchandise over to other parties. For example, if Marvel doesn't sell official X-Men t-shirts and posters, then people are more inclined to purchase designs made by fans... and Marvel usually doesn't really benefit from that.

I'm no expert on economics, but making some money off of characters you don't have the film rights to seems better than making no money off of them. But maybe I'm overlooking something...

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 16 Aug 2017, 08:39

The action figure embargo seems to have ended last year.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 16 Aug 2017, 09:01

LockheedAndLoaded wrote:
13 Aug 2017, 17:38
Anna Raven wrote:
12 Aug 2017, 23:57
This is true. From the way Nick Lowe was talking about the X-Men at a later panel, you can really tell that he's a fan and you get the sense that he's sad about this whole feud thing. I thanked one creator for "bringing back the X-Men" and they were glad to hear that, though they solemnly noted "if you guys didn't buy our books, we'd be replaced very easily."

I get the impression that absolutely no one who's actually involved in the creative process has a say in the matter- this is all because some faceless suits above it all that see money, not characters. However, the weird part is that they are pretty much giving away the market for X-Men merchandise over to other parties. For example, if Marvel doesn't sell official X-Men t-shirts and posters, then people are more inclined to purchase designs made by fans... and Marvel usually doesn't really benefit from that.

I'm no expert on economics, but making some money off of characters you don't have the film rights to seems better than making no money off of them. But maybe I'm overlooking something...
I assume the theory was to lose money now in order to make more money later. I imagine there are some industries and properties where this is a possibility. It may end up working with the Fantastic Four because they are not nearly as universally loved as other brands. The X-Men are a franchise that completely carry themselves though. They do not need Marvel to advertise for them to keep them in the minds of people. No one will forget about the X-Men.
When I spy my third eye

LockheedAndLoaded

Post by LockheedAndLoaded » 16 Aug 2017, 20:52

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 08:39
The action figure embargo seems to have ended last year.
I saw this at the store...
IMG_1741.jpg
IMG_1741.jpg (403.94 KiB) Viewed 387 times
So I guess there's hope. Now you can own a plastic version of the most handsome X-dragon there is AND a fully functioning... um... Juggernaut arm?

They also had Beast and Havok.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Aug 2017, 21:03

I'm confused, are you being sarcastic? There's a whole run of X-Men toys that EmP mentioned. There's also Rogue and Sunfire, among others.

And all those toys gave pieces to form a bigger figure. That's there thing lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

LockheedAndLoaded

Post by LockheedAndLoaded » 16 Aug 2017, 22:26

Blackcyclops wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 21:03
I'm confused, are you being sarcastic? There's a whole run of X-Men toys that EmP mentioned. There's also Rogue and Sunfire, among others.

And all those toys gave pieces to form a bigger figure. That's there thing lol
I know, I was just seconding EmP. No sarcasm here.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Aug 2017, 22:51

Oh lol...my bad

My X-Men Draft Picks: