Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Rachel's Codename Dilemma

Level 10: In this section, people will argue about all x-related topics, such as certain character ages, continuity or the nature of the Phoenix. Newbies beware!
EphemeristX

Rachel's Codename Dilemma

Post by EphemeristX » 17 Jul 2020, 02:11

We all know that Rachel Summers/Grey's codename sucks. Prestige? Urgh. And I figured, if anybody could do better, it'd be us. So, how about we brainstorm? No bad answers, let's just put out some ideas.

Here are a few of mine:

Vestige - yes, it's very close to Prestige but it doesn't rhyme and it's honestly so much better
Harbinger - she's always been a bit of doom and gloom, and her arrival in the present was exactly this
Augur, Omen, Auspice - kinda clunky, but she hails from the future
of course, there's also her sorta-AoX codename Revenant

And here are some I thought of, but nixed almost immediately:

Herald - already used for Galactus
Raptor - I just think of her time as a dinosaur, so that's not good
Firebird - already being used (and honestly, if we're talking about flaming birds, then just use Phoenix)

Anybody else?
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Lavettye

Re: Rachel's Codename Dilemma

Post by Lavettye » 17 Jul 2020, 06:38

The most obvious one would be Greyhound... (sorry, bad pun)

More serious efforts:
- Survivor
- Outcast
- Stowaway
- Heir
- Presence
- Miracle
- Askani
[PL_2.0]

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 17 Jul 2020, 13:31

I honestly don't mind Raptor at all (and not just because I used it, or a version of it, in multiple drafts). The dino connection is a fun Easter Egg for those in the know but it's actually a relatively small part of Rach's history, and it speaks of the Phoenix connection more.

I do like Askani though.

Harbinger feels a bit villain-esque to me.

It's a bit of a tricky one, because her past (and 616's non-future) was so bleak that it almost colours her with gloom. That's why Phoenix is better for Rachel even more than Jean, because it really did signify a rise from the ashes. Also some of her powers are barely referenced now - particularly the time-related powers.

A couple of other ideas, that aren't as good as most already mentioned.

Unborn
Fated
Psibird

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 17 Jul 2020, 14:28

Harbinger is a DC character, and while I know they often have copied names in the past I think we can do better.

How about this: Rachel is more or less the female iteration of Cable. Cable was given his name because he was a "cable that linked the past to the future". But cables are fairly archaic, and Rachel because of the Phoenix Force is much greater in power than a single cable link.

So i think she should be named Cloud.
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout
X-Men - Krakoa: Avalanche | Black Tom | Lila Cheney | Shadowcat | Outlaw | Blob | Puck II | Gin Genie | Dr. Nemesis | Banshee | Wolverine | Beast

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 17 Jul 2020, 16:02

Phoenix and Askani are good but many characters have gone by those. The problem with Rachel is that she struggles to get her own identity.

Of the ones mentioned I like Revenant the most. It works on multiple fronts. It conjures the idea of a ghost which makes sense due to Rachel being the product of a timeline that is no longer aligned with the 616. It also literally means "coming back" which parallels nicely with the Phoenix concept, the fact that she had to fight hard to "come back" from the hound brainwashing and can be interpreted as an oblique reference to her being from the future and having chrono-related powers. I think Mike Carey nailed it when he gave her the codename to be honest. Shame it didn't stick.

Jesse James II

Post by Jesse James II » 18 Jul 2020, 09:38

I also think Revenant is a cool name for her. I admit I had to look it up when I first read about it back then, but then immedially saw it fit for her.
Some of the other ones I liked too, like Cloud. Although I think that for me that name will always be associated woth a certain cool Defenders character.
"Unborn" would never be a name she calls herself, as this would indeed point out to her neither being related to the people she loves most. It would be a name the likes of Apocalypse or Sinister would can her. Like they would call Ororo 'windrider" or Illyana "Darkchylde". It seems more like a prophesized name or a titel.

The only one i can think of is "Remnant" in both as a remnant from a bleak future and a remnant of the Phoenix Force.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 18 Jul 2020, 21:58

Ooh, I do like Remnant. That would've also worked as being the last of the Greys following the End of Greys arc.

There's also the theological tie to being one of the remaining faithful, or to put it in Rachel's context, believers in the Dream in the camps.

There was also a brief period when both present Jean and Scott were dead, which would have been a nice time to adopt that name as a reminder of her being what was left of them both (if you ignore Cable, and that neither 616 Scott or Jean are her actual parents, but you know what I mean).

Also, there's an allusion to her psychometric powers, which whilst rarely shown are an aspect that is fairly unique. I hate how Rachel is often turned into a generic TP/TK user when her ability suite is quite a bit broader than that.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 18 Jul 2020, 22:25

Well to be fair, at her level TP/TK encompass all other psychic abilities.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 19 Jul 2020, 00:25

We got some good ideas here. So far, my favorite is Remnant. I love brainstorming sessions.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 19 Jul 2020, 02:02

Blackcyclops wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 22:25
Well to be fair, at her level TP/TK encompass all other psychic abilities.
Yeah, but she often doesn't really use the more esoteric applications that come with her power level. How often does she use Chrono Skimming now for example?

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 19 Jul 2020, 03:51

Honestly, it seems like that power would be a big no-no to the House of X.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 19 Jul 2020, 22:08

Honestly? I’d like to see her without a code name. Just go with “Rachel Grey”. None of her names other than Phoenix have fit her, and even then, when both she and Jean are in the same place at the same time and interacting, it seems really weird that she would use Phoenix and not Jean.

So much of her story is tied into her jumping through time, and I LOVED the scene in AvX where she faces off against Thor who makes some comment about how she “could” be big league hero” and she then takes him down. I’d actually quite like it if Jean retook the mantle of Phoenix, and Rachel took the name of “Marvel”. No gender-related suffix, or random preface, just Marvel.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 19 Jul 2020, 22:29

I like how das’s mind is working but I think “Marvel” as a name is bigger than Rachel tbh...But I wish she was a Doctor and went by Dr. Marvel.

Then we can get a Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel teamup with the three of them lol
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 19 Jul 2020, 22:36

I always had the impression that she handled the Phoenix better than Jean.

Heir, Template, Raptor, Phoenix, Cradle, Legacy, Chronica, Chronicle, Rebell

Cosmos666

Post by Cosmos666 » 20 Jul 2020, 10:27

Just call her Starchild.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 20 Jul 2020, 11:15

Of all those suggested, I like Remnant best.

That said, though, all the suggestions sounded better than Prestige.
[PL_2.0]

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 20 Jul 2020, 15:02

So, I read about CC's name for her "Starchilde". Originally, I thought of it as sort of infantilizing her. But then I read about "childe" being an old word for a knight on a quest. It made the name feel alot less demeaning. Of course, not many people know that meaning or subscribe to it, so for a large chunk of folks, it would still demean her.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 20 Jul 2020, 22:08

Starchilde is horrible...it really does infantize her. In fact, I hated when Rachel went by Marvel Girl on her return under CC in the 00s too.

Coincidentally I've just finished reading the Fall of the Mutants trade for the first time, and whilst the X-Factor issues I had in the original issues I still cringed on reading them when Scott called Jean Marvel Girl then too... it's horrible codename for anyone who's past high school frankly. Jean going back to it is not a smart move at all.

I do prefer her without a codename over Prestige because it is so bad, but I still think Phoenix tops everything so far... though I could definitely get behind Remnant as a secondary choice.

If it was a choice of Jean or Rachel over who should have the Phoenix codename and who should go without a codename and both are in the present and active, I'd say Rachel should take Phoenix and Jean should go without the codename. I tend to think Rachel doesn't have as much 'baggage" in using the name compared to Jean - she even got away with rocking the Dark Phoenix look as a hero. This might be because I first read X-Men comics in the 90s though...

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 20 Jul 2020, 22:41

Marvel Damsel

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 21 Jul 2020, 11:38

Add "Boy", "Lad", "Lass", and "Kid" and to suffix/prefixes that irritate the hell out of me and prevent the characters from seeming anything but juvenile. New Mutants and Gen X both avoided having any characters with that nonsense, so it's really not needed.

Remember when the Richard Rider Nova debuted in a title called "The Man Called Nova" and some almost fifteen years later in publishing time gets reverted to "Kid Nova" on joining the New Warriors. Yeah, that was dumb.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 21 Jul 2020, 13:01

Well that’s why I jokingly said Doctor Marvel...1) Doctor makes everything sound cooler and 2) F*** Dr. Manhattan, Dr. sounds even more awesome!

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 21 Jul 2020, 13:32

Ray
Crown
Bizarre (an alien, a bacteria in human form, and who knows what else,..)

Cosmos666

Post by Cosmos666 » 21 Jul 2020, 15:11

Aeon wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 22:36

I never understood the 'Rachel has handled the Phoenix better than Jean' mantra. Jean as the Phoenix has literally rebuilt/restored/fixed the universe/reality not once (Phoenix Saga) but twice (Plantet X). I think Rachel more impressive feat as the Phoenix was defeating the Anti-Phoenix, I think.

Anyway, I like Starchild/Starchilde because it connects her with the classic "Child of Light and Darkness" of the Dark Phoenix Saga.

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 21 Jul 2020, 15:12

:shock: :?

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 21 Jul 2020, 16:04

Cosmos666 wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 15:11
Aeon wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 22:36

I never understood the 'Rachel has handled the Phoenix better than Jean' mantra. Jean as the Phoenix has literally rebuilt/restored/fixed the universe/reality not once (Phoenix Saga) but twice (Plantet X). I think Rachel more impressive feat as the Phoenix was defeating the Anti-Phoenix, I think.

Anyway, I like Starchild/Starchilde because it connects her with the classic "Child of Light and Darkness" of the Dark Phoenix Saga.
If we are chalking up saving the universe to Jean, then 5 billion of the D'bari would argue she made a shit-show of harnessing the PF, if they weren't dead of course.

Sure, you might argue Rachel's 'peak' as the Phoenix wasn't as good as Jean's peak, but as a personal journey, Rachel who had by far the shitter upbringing, losing her family and being forced to serve as a Hound can take the PF and not manage to decimate a solar system has probably done alright for herself. Also, Jean only took the name of Phoenix post her return in the 90s following Rachel's request (when Mother Askani) and has since renounced the PF. If Rach is happier being Phoenix without eating stars, I'd say let her crack on.