Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Men: the Legacy of Mike Carey

Level 10: In this section, people will argue about all x-related topics, such as certain character ages, continuity or the nature of the Phoenix. Newbies beware!
das_boot

X-Men: the Legacy of Mike Carey

Post by das_boot » 15 May 2020, 12:31

Hello hello!

Whilst BC keeps things totally radical and tubular and exploring the 90’s, I thought I’d start a (hopefully not as controversial as my last) topic, but this time talking about the work of Mike Carey.

Carey took over from Milligan in July 2006 with X-Men #188 and lasted five and a half years on the title (counting the change in title to Legacy, and also including “Blinded by the Light”, “Age of X”, was key in the execution of the entire storyline of Messiah Complex and Second Coming, as well as writing a tie in with Necrosha and Wolverine’s hunt for Daken.

In this time, he introduced the high-science fiction concept of the Children of the Vault, explored Rogue’s capabilities as a leader and later a mentor, did a deep dive into some of the more questionable moral choices that Xavier made, helped to establish a new status quo for Legion, provided a nuanced portrayal of Magneto, wrote a love triangle for Rogue involving Magneto and Gambit, explored new facets of Rogue’s powers, and gave much needed backstory and character work to student characters.

So, this afternoon I’m going to read his start to his run, with X-Men Supernovas: the introduction to Rogue’s team, The Children of the Vault, the first mention of Palance, and the setting of the scene for Rogue’s relationship with Mystique... feel free to read along or just post thoughts as we go!
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

Blackcyclops

Re: X-Men: the Legacy of Mike Carey

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 May 2020, 13:08

It’s really important to note that Carey’s run is so well received by his peers that many aspects of his run have been major (the CoT) and minor aspects (his work on Rogue is paramount to her eventual marriage to Gambit, his portrayal of Gambit softened the character, and his work on Magneto feels like a direct line to Bunn and the current Magneto) of what is happening now in the X-books.

I look forward to this discussion...
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 15 May 2020, 15:17

Im so glad you are doing this, i started reading Supernovas for the first time last week, i'll happily join the conversation. One thing ill think is interesting is how"in media res" it all starts, like apparently i got used to having a new number one whenever a new era of comics would begin, because it feels weird reading the title as a simple mission, knowing it would be a very long work.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 16 May 2020, 10:18

SUPERNOVAS

Okay so, Mike Carey starts the way he means to go on. Within the first ten pages, we have Sabretooth on the run due to the CoTV, Rogue absorbing and using multiple powers in conjunction with each other, references to Palance, rescuing Lady M and Omega Sentinel, Northstar and Aurora’s start to the return to the fold, Rogue being schooled on the difference between innate knowledge of how to use a power vs experience with it, a new form of transport for the X-Men with the Conquistador, a team comprised of two former villains, Sabretooth as a captive, Mystique really trying to make an effort with Rogue and Rogue having absolutely none of it, the continuation of Cannonball and Iceman’s bromance, Cable is... here.

Other than Cable, I’d go as far as to say that I think we could take him out of this title and he wouldn’t be missing, and that isn’t because I can take or leave him as a character, I just find it weird to try and coordinate where he is at this point, due to Cable and Deadpool happening at the same time, which, yes, eventually crosses into this title but ANYWAY...

So, highlights of this arc:
-Children of the Vault: great aesthetics, great backstory, really creepy.
-Rogue’s moment with Wolverine trying to intimidate her due to her keeping Creed around (“that close? Lordy.”)
-In HINDSIGHT... Mystique desperately trying to latch on to not just Rogue, but also Iceman so that she can insinuate her way into the team.
-Rogue’s interactions with Cyclops, in particular “you told me to pick my team: well here it is”

Edit: just because I forgot to put this in the main run through...

It’s Chris Bachalo on art here (other than one fill-in issue). I know he’s a very divisive artist amongst the posters here, and while I personally adore his style...

The fill-in artist really demonstrates here what the issue is with an artist with distinct style when someone else does an issue: this artist’s Serafina just doesn’t look as good as Bachalo’s. Bachalo’s more manga influenced style was perfect for the CoTV, but the filler artist... I dunno. There’s something off about the proportions of Serafina’s costume, and while I love the rest of the art for this issue, Serafina doesn’t quite look right.

For how fast-paced and frenetic this arc is, Bachalo was a great choice of artist, IMO. Between the multiple action scenes per issue, to the downright weird sci-fi costumes of the COTV, I really do feel like this was strong art for this title. Especially the ICONIC cover of Rogue holding Sabretooth by a chain and holding a hypodermic needle in the other hand. Just ICONIC.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 19 May 2020, 07:18

So, the annual, which I’ll do as it’s own piece.

Rogue, Cable and Mystique go to see Maria Hill with the view to use their technology to try and fix whatever the COTV have done to Northstar and Aurora. Hill allows them access but as she says “I so much as notice you, you’re gone”— she’s kind of antagonistic towards the X-Men at this point and I really for the life of me can’t remember why SHIELD would be anti-X-Men at this point other than it being the cool thing at the time...

Mystique and Rogue have a quiet moment where Rogue again makes it clear that she isn’t interested in forming a relationship with Raven, and that as far as Rogue is concerned, she’s vouched for Raven’s ability, NOT her character.

Of course right about now, Exodus attacks the same Helicarrier with Frenzy, Random and Tempo in tow. Exodus wants to figure out what’s happened to the mutants and he dispatches a few SHIELD agents in the bargain. Northstar and Aurora wake up and they seem to have had some kind of mind-meld.

Cable fights Random, Tempo and Frenzy manage to take down Rogue, but Mystique takes Tempo out and is left hand-to-hand fighting with Frenzy. I don’t care how quickly you heal or how quickly you can form a carapace with your flesh, that fight is going to hurt. Sorry about it, Raven... The twins appear, use their light power to distract Frenzy and Raven kicks her out of a window. The twins are somewhat reintegrated but still shaken by their experience. Northstar tells Rogue that it was Mystique who protected her.

The X-Men approach the deck and Exodus is furious, assuming that SHIELD are lying, having built his own Cerebro from SHIELD tech, and says that there must be more mutants than this. Rogue and Cable confirm it for him and he leaves with his Acolytes. Hill tells the X-Men to leave. As they leave, Northstar again reiterates that it was Mystique who saved Rogue’s life, he and his sister just helped to get rid of Frenzy.

Exodus, Random, and two Caucasian female Acolytes (perhaps Unuscione and Voght?) approach a base in Antarctica. Sinister essentially tells Exodus to bend the knee and he’ll help him save mutantkind.

So this is Mark Brooks on art here and while it’s a total tonal change from Bachalo on the last arc, and Ramos on the next, I like how he draws the characters here, especially Rogue and Mystique. I feel like he really made Mystique look quite creepy when she makes her skin spiky and armoured as she fights Frenzy. The writing is great too (although I’m not sure how much I believe Frenzy quoting battlefield philosophy, but we’ll go with it, she’s worked under some pretty loquacious folk and was bound to pick something up along the way).

As much as this was a nice way to get Northstar and Aurora back on the table, it also served as a good set up for why Exodus would work with Sinister. It also served as a nice reminder that upcoming events are why Exodus still doesn’t trust Sinister in current continuity too— so that’s something else seeded by Carey that Hickman is still using.

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 20 May 2020, 08:46

Love Carey! He's one of my favourite X-men writers, and he mentioned a few times he used UXN for research, which is awesome. I loved how he seemlessly laid hints for what was coming and how he happily dusted off forgotten character's and storylines. When many X-writers like to use the "classic" X-Men characters it was refreshing to see characters like Lady Mastermind and Omega Sentinel used. I also loved how he wasn't afraid to introduce new concepts and character's like the Children of the Vault and the Hetacomb

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 22 May 2020, 08:29

I agree on all accounts, but you know what i found interesting, is how apparently Lady Mastermind's costume, the one redesigned by Bachalo that we have talked about how he keeps repeating for many female characters, was apparently already one of the X-Men costumes and not hers, so they are "allowing" her to use it. Its right there in the Contagion first issue, which im assuming youl''l get to soon. I simply adore that, this is an excellent reasoning in universe for why the costume has reappeared so much, its like a model sheet.

Also, i never read this issues before, and i really like Lady Mastermind, she is great, and reading it, knowing all that is to come, is amazing, there are many hints.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.