Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Story Elements You Never Want to See Again?

Level 10: In this section, people will argue about all x-related topics, such as certain character ages, continuity or the nature of the Phoenix. Newbies beware!
das_boot

Re: Story Elements You Never Want to See Again?

Post by das_boot » 16 Jun 2019, 03:04

“Should have been more interesting” would be how I would phrase it (yeah, semantics, I know, but kind of important here, I feel)— my point with Hope, specifically, is that there was such a long game. Is she the Phoenix? Is she Jean? Who is her mother? Who is her father? What are her powers? Is she even actually a mutant or is she just the physical manifestation of all the lost powers (sidebar; I feel like this was initially MAYBE Cable’s theory? (As in the poster here, not the character.))

The payoff just didn’t feel worth it, nor did the subsequent “well hell... what do we do now?” post-AvX.

So yeah, I guess this has metamorphosed into me not wanting to see a new character introduced in such a way that they feel like they’re almost the lynchpin of the franchise, only for them to be banished into character limbo after no one knows what to do with them after they’ve played their role.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 16 Jun 2019, 03:28

Though not really a "story element" but the Hope conversation has brought it to my mind.

In the age of Social Media/Fan Interaction, if the fans figure out your game plan, follow through. Don't go for the shock and surprise of something unexpected. If every thing I've heard is true, Hope WAS meant to be a reborn Jean. Go with that because you suddenly have stories and a purpose for her after she goes through her own storyline. Changing the story means you have to come up with new plans and clearly it wasn't something that happened.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Usernamenotimportant

Post by Usernamenotimportant » 16 Jun 2019, 10:49

From what I've read, the original idea was that she was a reborn Jean, but they changed it while writing the story, not because of fan guessing, IIRC.

An example of writer changing original plans due to social media was Bendis with the first Ronin (it was Daredevil, then he changed to Echo).

Cable

Post by Cable » 16 Jun 2019, 10:52

das_boot wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 03:04
“Should have been more interesting” would be how I would phrase it (yeah, semantics, I know, but kind of important here, I feel)— my point with Hope, specifically, is that there was such a long game. Is she the Phoenix? Is she Jean? Who is her mother? Who is her father? What are her powers? Is she even actually a mutant or is she just the physical manifestation of all the lost powers (sidebar; I feel like this was initially MAYBE Cable’s theory? (As in the poster here, not the character.))

Nope wasn't me. Not sure who that was.

But despite Cable being my favorite character, add me to the list of people who is over time travel stories.

Also I am not a fan of the X-Men going into space (this doesn't include Starjammers which I would love a book of)
Best X-Comic last week: Absolute Carnage vs Deadpool #3
Best non X-Comic last week: Absolute Carnage #4

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 16 Jun 2019, 12:42

Cable wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 10:52
das_boot wrote:

But despite Cable being my favorite character, add me to the list of people who is over time travel stories.

Also I am not a fan of the X-Men going into space (this doesn't include Starjammers which I would love a book of)
Hmmm. I could have sworn it was you. Either way, I’ve given you credit for a theory I thought was pretty clever for years now 🤷‍♂️
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 16 Jun 2019, 18:35

das_boot wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 12:42
Cable wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 10:52
das_boot wrote:

Hmmm. I could have sworn it was you. Either way, I’ve given you credit for a theory I thought was pretty clever for years now 🤷‍♂️
There's no record of the Forums from back then at all? Everything from before a certain date just gets deleted forever? That's kind of sad. :P
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 16 Jun 2019, 19:46

I don’t think it would have helped. I distinctly remember thinking it was Cable’s theory from the opener of Messiah Complex/Blinded by the Light. So I thought it was his theory at the time and being kind of jealous that I hadn’t thought of it because in hindsight, other than it being Jean reincarnated, it was probably the most realistic Hope scenario...
ASPIRING WRITERS!

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 16 Jun 2019, 20:18

Weirdly, I remember the theory, but it could be that I read it on reddit.

I think it was prior to finding out about her mother and there were potential theories that her father was Michael Pointer.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 16 Jun 2019, 20:39

I mean I remember thinking it when the baby had the Phoenix corona in her eyes in one of the issues, but I doubt I was the first to come up with it.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll