Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Alex and Lorna's research question

Level 10: In this section, people will argue about all x-related topics, such as certain character ages, continuity or the nature of the Phoenix. Newbies beware!
nathanadler

Alex and Lorna's research question

Post by nathanadler » 12 Jan 2019, 07:49

What geological and archaeological anomalies were Alex and Lorna researching in the Rio Diablo Mountains of Northern New Mexico in X-Men #97 and again in Uncanny X-Men #218 (when hunted by the Marauders and where the Brood starshark vessel crashes)?

While the Rio Diablo Mountains were an extension of the Diablo Mountain Range in California where the Dreaming Celestial was sealed during the Second Host, UXM #97 was written in 1976, 2 years before Roy Thomas introduced the Celestials into Marvel continuity.

So given Claremont didn't intend it Celestial-related, what might have been in Rio Diablo desert (Devil's River) and New Mexico that Lorna and Alex kept going back to study?

Jazzkantine

Re: Alex and Lorna's research question

Post by Jazzkantine » 12 Jan 2019, 10:43

Didn’t you ask that before?

Anyway, Claremont used to be one of Marvel‘s writer with the longest ongoing writing gig on a series.
During his tenure, he created sub-plots and side stories, character based changes, etc. that he never followed up.

And whenever he got a new series, he liked to hint things that he never finished up. Just look at X-Treme X-Men, Excalibur, New Excalibur, New Exiles (ugh), later Uncanny X-Men . He always liked to introduce characters, power changes, events that he never finished because his runs ended early.

It often felt like placeholders, for things Claremont didn’t work out at that time himself.
Fantastic Force Vibraxas, Machine Man, Ms. Marvel (Sharon Ventura), Cerise, Sunspot, Folklore, Spiral, Sycamore, Starlight, Prosh

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 12 Jan 2019, 12:45

nathanadler wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 07:49
What geological and archaeological anomalies were Alex and Lorna researching in the Rio Diablo Mountains of Northern New Mexico in X-Men #97 and again in Uncanny X-Men #218 (when hunted by the Marauders and where the Brood starshark vessel crashes)?

While the Rio Diablo Mountains were an extension of the Diablo Mountain Range in California where the Dreaming Celestial was sealed during the Second Host, UXM #97 was written in 1976, 2 years before Roy Thomas introduced the Celestials into Marvel continuity.

So given Claremont didn't intend it Celestial-related, what might have been in Rio Diablo desert (Devil's River) and New Mexico that Lorna and Alex kept going back to study?
I already told you what I think. What do you think?

nathanadler

Post by nathanadler » 12 Jan 2019, 19:29

Jazzkantine wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 10:43
Didn’t you ask that before?
Yes, I did. Gibbering Fool directed me to post here instead of where I initially asked.
Nu-D wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 12:45
I already told you what I think. What do you think?
I don't. That’s why I posted the question.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Jan 2019, 20:00

NuD prolly just thought you had a theory as well...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

nathanadler

Post by nathanadler » 13 Jan 2019, 00:41

Blackcyclops wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 20:00
NuD prolly just thought you had a theory as well...
Yep, I realise. It's been nearly forty years now and I haven't been able to figure one out. I have, however, determined the full details of Claremont's intention with Mister Sinister; same for the identity of Ororo's Bright Lady, so not a complete loss :)

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 13 Jan 2019, 15:50

I don't believe that there was ever any deeper intent for their research subjects. Alex and Lorna had been written out along the rest of the original X-Men, and when they appeared next, Claremont just showed they were doing "something" and filled in the blanks. Neither character had that much of an established background: Alex graduated from the fictional Landon college in New York in UXM #54, and Lorna's hometown was mentioned to be about 1200 miles from San Francisco in UXN #49, placing it somewhere in the midwest, or by the the border between Texas and New Mexico.

When Havok had previously left the X-Men in Incredible Hulk #150 (written by Archie Goodwin) he was shown to be living in a remote cabin in New Mexico, so apparently Claremont picked that up and had the couple move there again, this time also providing a "reason" for why they chose to live there. It was different from what the other senior X-Men were doing at the time, giving each of them their own little niche.

------------------

That said, nathanadler, I am having a hard time deciphering the actual point of your thread(s). The way you phrased it "What geological and archaeological anomalies were Alex and Lorna researching in the Rio Diablo Mountains of Northern New Mexico ?", it comes across as a factual question, with a clear definite answer: "It was never revealed on-panel".

Apparently that wasn't what you were after, so you moved the thread here, at which point you would have benefitted from rephrasing the question into "What do you think were the geological anomalies…. " or "What are your theories on the geological anomalies …" if that is what you are truly after. Going by some of your other topics, though, it seems you don't want just about any theories, but are looking specifically for what Chris Claremont had in mind. As such, your opening question or subject line should reflect that and be as specific: "What are your theories on what CC had in mind as the geological research subject … "

Such a discussion, though, is not really my cup of tea, as you'll never get a truly satisfying answer, unless the writer in question revealed his plans in an interview or a personal conversation. And even then you can't be 100% sure, as that writer might simply mis-remember things several decades later. After all, the writer's plans and intentions change over time, (as you yourself pointed out in another thread about Mystique's age) and to fully answer your question, it requires not only learning Claremont's intentions, but his intentions at the time of writing those scenes. And with that in mind...
I have, however, determined the full details of Claremont's intention with Mister Sinister; same for the identity of Ororo's Bright Lady, so not a complete loss.
… No, you haven't. ;) While you may have raised some good theories and educated guesses, unless you are Chris Claremont, you have no way of knowing that these are the "full details of Claremont's intentions".

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 13 Jan 2019, 20:22

@Lavettye,

I think your post is a little harsh. Nathanadler is just trying to spark conversations about X-Men esoterica. S/he may not be an author on par with William James, but there’s plenty of interesting stuff there.

Like I said elsewhere, though, we should consolidate the dozens of threads into a single “Speculation about Claremont’s Danglers” thread, and then maybe hone it into a “Danglers” article for the UXN page.

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 14 Jan 2019, 07:32

I have a suspicion they were studying rocks :P