Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Captain Marvel's costume

Level 10: In this section, people will argue about all x-related topics, such as certain character ages, continuity or the nature of the Phoenix. Newbies beware!
LimboMaster

Captain Marvel's costume

Post by LimboMaster » 03 Oct 2018, 18:29

I don't think any of Captain Marvel's costumes have come close to as appealing as her black (or was it blue) costume with the gold jag that she wore as Ms. Marvel and Warbird (and no, not because it shows more skin … it just looks far better than any other). Am I alone here? If it aint' broke, don't fix it. I guess they're going for something that looks more like a military uniform with her current version to suit her codename but not diggin' it.

Blackcyclops

Re: Captain Marvel's costume

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 Oct 2018, 18:40

I love the McKelvie designed costume...it fits her personality, it translates great to live action and just aesthetically looks better to me (it conveys much more)...so I’m a hard disagree here lol

Her Warbird costume fits a generic name like Warbird but not a person with “Marvel” in the name.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 03 Oct 2018, 18:56

I love her new costume. It's a symbol of her elevated status in the MU. For me, looking at her in a bathing suit instantly dates her.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

MrFOOM

Post by MrFOOM » 03 Oct 2018, 18:58

I think the black Ms Marvel costume is more striking. I prefer that far more over the modern one.
I don't hate the modern costume though, especially with the mask on. It does make her look more like a superhero though lol.
Fantasy Draft: Doctor Strange, Hulk, Namor, Venom, Mr. Immortal (off), Professor X, Old Man Logan, Honey Badger, Mary Jane Watson, Thanos, Cosmic Ghost Rider (on).

kalibeast

Post by kalibeast » 03 Oct 2018, 19:58

I feel like an updated version of the black leotard would look awesome. Keep the top the same and give the girl some pants (a la Psylocke when she started wearing a reasonable costume), lose the sash, and bingo.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 Oct 2018, 20:44

Infeel like that’s a great costume for a Warbird or somebody with a name like Psylocke, a ninja.

But Captain Marvel? Not only is it a name that automatically makes you a banner character for a company named Marvel, it implies a certain super-heroness and a military component.

The all black leotard doesn’t meet any of those things.

The current costume hits each mark. Again, i’m with kalibeast ij that a pants-version of it would be cool for another character but not somebody who is a literal military character named Captain Marvel.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 03 Oct 2018, 21:01

I like her latest costume best (though it is like 6 years old now, so hardly new anymore), her black one was fine at the time but don't think it would suit her today. Her first Ms Marvel costume was terrible, I did like her Binary costume, probably have a soft spot for it cos I first first knew Carol from her time with the X-Men.

Kamala's Khan's version of the Ms Marvel costume is also great.
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 03 Oct 2018, 23:12

As much as I can say I enjoy the black leotard, the McKelvie design is much better as an actual superhero costume. The sash is a bit silly but that's the only real negative.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 04 Oct 2018, 04:54

I love the black leotard and it's a classic design...but I think it was a Ms Marvel costume, whereas her current outfit is a Captain Marvel costume.

Without meaning to sound offensive the first emphasised Carol's femininity and in some ways liberalism (she was so bad ass she could run around in her bathing suit if she damn pleased).

However, the Mckelvie costume shows her maturity in that those issues don't matter - she's just an incredibly competent, powerful leading woman who can be seen as a Captain...it has nice references to both the best Mar-Vell costume and the sash ties it back to her Ms days. The one thing I hate is the stupid helm / mask fauxhawk - I understand that it was a visual tie to Marv's first outfit but it looked ridiculous. Long haired, let loose with that outfit and we have a winner.
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 04 Oct 2018, 11:06

EphemeristX wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 18:56
I love her new costume. It's a symbol of her elevated status in the MU. For me, looking at her in a bathing suit instantly dates her.
This.

The red and blue with the Hala star is awesome. I prefer mask off, but either way it’s her best look.

The lightning bolt always suited Storm better than Carol.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Oct 2018, 13:59

I do love Storm with the black suit and lightning bolt...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 04 Oct 2018, 22:46

Blackcyclops wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 13:59
I do love Storm with the black suit and lightning bolt...
I was going to say it’s the best of all the Jim Lee designs, but then I remembered it was designed by Silvestri/Green.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 05 Oct 2018, 06:40

Spectral Knight wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 04:54
I love the black leotard and it's a classic design...but I think it was a Ms Marvel costume, whereas her current outfit is a Captain Marvel costume.

Without meaning to sound offensive the first emphasised Carol's femininity and in some ways liberalism (she was so bad ass she could run around in her bathing suit if she damn pleased).

However, the Mckelvie costume shows her maturity in that those issues don't matter - she's just an incredibly competent, powerful leading woman who can be seen as a Captain...it has nice references to both the best Mar-Vell costume and the sash ties it back to her Ms days. The one thing I hate is the stupid helm / mask fauxhawk - I understand that it was a visual tie to Marv's first outfit but it looked ridiculous. Long haired, let loose with that outfit and we have a winner.
Definitely this.

I think a lot of the "bathing suit" costumes get a lot of bad press due to modern trends and in some parts I agree with them. I think a lot of heroes "work" with more skin showing when their powers are physical based. Colossus in trunks? Perfect. Ms. Marvel/Wardbird leotard? Just fine.

Then again, the counter-argument is one can find a reason for skin-tight outfits anywhere.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 13 Oct 2018, 20:23

I definitely agree that her new costume better suits her status as "Captain Marvel" primarily because it looks like a military uniform. But that's exactly what I don't like about it. It doesn't look distinctive. It looks like a uniform that countless others could wear too. It looks like they just came up with something because they needed a new costume that looks military and in that sense it looks uninspired to me. Her black leotard was distinctive (and in my mind classic, but maybe that's just because I grew up at that time so it stands out the most), daring, and dynamic ...that sash just brought it to life (kind of like the phoenix costume) in ways her latest just don't. And it was just ... hers (not a version of Mar-Vell's like her first one). IMHO no competition.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 13 Oct 2018, 21:49

I'm genuinely surprised at the love for the leotard. I always thought it was fugly.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Oct 2018, 22:43

Nu-D wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 21:49
I'm genuinely surprised at the love for the leotard. I always thought it was fugly.
It's striking. Black with a bright yellow lightning bolt and a red sash. It FEELS like a superhero costume.
A League of Their Own!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Oct 2018, 23:06

tokenBG1009 wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 22:43
Nu-D wrote:
It's striking. Black with a bright yellow lightning bolt and a red sash. It FEELS like a superhero costume.
It does but I think that speaks to the inherent sexism of traditional superheroine costumes

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 13 Oct 2018, 23:11

The problem I have with her current costume is the color scheme. She looks like a walking flag with it.

I would love to see an other color combination, maybe white/green based on Mar-Vell‘s costume.

But with this blue/red/yellow she looks like if she is leading a parade.

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 13 Oct 2018, 23:50

Far from perfect, I used this Marvel coloring app. When I switched colors, the app didn’t save the color codes.
Attachments
1BAFF048-CEBB-4D5D-A1EE-0ABCC19778F0.png
1BAFF048-CEBB-4D5D-A1EE-0ABCC19778F0.png (1.56 MiB) Viewed 339 times

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 14 Oct 2018, 00:50

Blackcyclops wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 23:06
tokenBG1009 wrote:
Nu-D wrote:
It does but I think that speaks to the inherent sexism of traditional superheroine costumes
Sure, or it simply just feels like a superhero costume. I didn't mistype when I omitted the "-ine" in that statement.
A League of Their Own!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Oct 2018, 02:00

Jazzkantine wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 23:11
The problem I have with her current costume is the color scheme. She looks like a walking flag with it.

I would love to see an other color combination, maybe white/green based on Mar-Vell‘s costume.

But with this blue/red/yellow she looks like if she is leading a parade.

To be fair, she is a part of the American military.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 14 Oct 2018, 10:44

tokenBG1009 wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 00:50
Blackcyclops wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 23:06
tokenBG1009 wrote:

Sure, or it simply just feels like a superhero costume. I didn't mistype when I omitted the "-ine" in that statement.
Not to me. Thigh high boots feel like the opposite of a superhero costume.

In the current costume, the central hala star and sash echo supermans's S and cape, and the same color scheme of red, blue and gold. That to me feels like an iconic superhero costume.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 14 Oct 2018, 20:09

Exactly. A bathing suit and thigh highs with some opera gloves is only a superhero costume for women. Put a man in it and it looks ridiculous. Whereas, a man would look just fine in the current Captain Marvel suit.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 14 Oct 2018, 21:04

EphemeristX wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 20:09
Exactly. A bathing suit and thigh highs with some opera gloves is only a superhero costume for women. Put a man in it and it looks ridiculous. Whereas, a man would look just fine in the current Captain Marvel suit.
i mean, Namor exists.
A League of Their Own!

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 14 Oct 2018, 21:42

tokenBG1009 wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 21:04
EphemeristX wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 20:09
i mean, Namor exists.
Mayor's costume is ridiculous too, though sort of justifiable because he's a swimmer.