Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Ranking the X-Books

Level 10: In this section, people will argue about all x-related topics, such as certain character ages, continuity or the nature of the Phoenix. Newbies beware!
Cable

Ranking the X-Books

Post by Cable » 01 Aug 2018, 10:06

The X-titles are going to be going through some changes soon but I decided to take a look at the state of them now by ranking the current books. I ranked them on both story and art, with more of an emphasis on the former just from personal preference. I did not include any title that has not had three issues yet as I don't think that is enough to judge by.

Here is my list:

1. Hunt for Wolverine: Weapon Lost
2. Astonishing X-Men
3. Cable
4. Hunt for Wolverine: Claws of a Killer
5. Hunt for Wolverine: Mystery in Madripoor
6. New Mutants: Dead Souls
7. Deadpool: Assassin
8. X-Men Red
9. Hunt for Wolverine: Adamantium Agenda
10. Domino
11. Old Man Logan
12. X-Men Gold
13. Weapon X
14. X-Men Blue

There is a problem here and that is if you look at the top of the list it is all books that are either cancelled, recently rebooted, or a mini. The bottom of the list are the ongoing titles. So clearly there needs to be a shake-up with some of the new talent being given a chance with the regular books because I think they are the ones who are having the more fresh ideas.

I could say more but I would like to hear some other thoughts or rankings so feel free to comment your own whether trying to do them all or just the ones you most often read.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

MrFOOM

Re: Ranking the X-Books

Post by MrFOOM » 01 Aug 2018, 12:53

I find it hard to rank because I enjoy most of the X Books I read but my enjoyment of them has fluctuated throughout the months. I think it's easier for me to just talk about the books individually.

X-Men Blue I really enjoyed it when it started. I don't like the situations surrounding the X-Men being in the present but I like the characters and stories themselves as written by Bunn. But then Posion X happened and it practically got derailed. Cry Havok was pretty good though but I dunno I'm ready for Blue (and Gold) to end in favour of just one main Uncanny.

I don't read Gold but by every account I've heard it's just bad. Adequately servicable AT BEST. I do read Red though and I really like that one, I like what it's doing with the Mutant hatred angle.

Astonishing was really really good for me during the first arc. But I didn't like Man called X very much. I hope Rosenberg will do better. I also hope they keep changing creative every 12 issues and have Astonishing be like yearlong anthologies of different mutant stories.

I've enjoyed All New Wolverine immensely and X-23 under Tamaki and Cabal is off to a fantastic start. Gabby is just an awesome addition to the X books, I'm glad she's on the Red Team too and not just a supporting character on the X23 solo.

Old Man Logan was really bloody good under Lemire. Ed Brisson...not so much. They really should've just ended the series. The whole Wolverine thing just kind of annoyed me honestly, I would've preferred Laura on the teams, not Old Man Logan. OML should've just been in the Lemire solo and that's it (well the guest spots in ANW were good I guess)

Weapon X wasn't great so I decided to axe it. I enjoyed the character interactions and stuff in the first few issues but then I didn't care for the crossover which was so early on too and the following stories just didn't interest me. Soon as I axed it OML left and I caught up on the Sabertooth issues and I actually liked them so guess I made the wrong choice there.

Speaking of the Weapon X crossover, I'm a little mixed on Hulkverine. I love the crazy Frankenstein mad science creature. But it's just so stupid. And I did not care for the crossover so I just avoided Weapon H. I caught up on the first 5 issues and bloody hell it's actually a good book! The Hulkverine is still stupid but Pak's done some good character work and it's overall a pretty good crazy Marvel book. I like Pak because of Hulk (specifically Planet Hulk) so I feel bad for avoiding his books, he seems to be coming good now.

I loved Rogue and Gambit. Mr and Mrs X too. Thompson just writes these 2 so well.

New Mutants has been pretty enjoyable too. And the Hunt for Wolverine series is very good, each book is pretty good except maybe the one with the Avengers I don't like that one nor care for it. Unless I'm missing something I don't read the others.

I do agree that the minis are better than the ongoings. I personally think there shouldn't be so many ongoings, just have one main Uncanny and do all the spinoffs in tight controlled stories. Get rid of Gold Blue and Red (I'll treat Astonishing as a series of maxis). Maybe keep the solos, ANW/X23 has been great, not read Iceman but it seems to be loved, and a Wolverine series is just inevitable I suppose. Even Weapon X, I don't really know that it needs to exist.
Fantasy Draft: Doctor Strange, Hulk, Namor, Venom, Mr. Immortal (off), Professor X, Old Man Logan, Honey Badger, Mary Jane Watson, Thanos, Cosmic Ghost Rider (on).

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 01 Aug 2018, 13:35

The minis are really good with New Mutants, Rogue and Gambit (followed by their ongoing), Multiple Man, and hopefully the upcoming Iceman revival being some of my favorite current X-titles. The Hunt for Wolverine books have been decent but Mystery in Madripoor is the only one I get excited about.

Discounting Deadpool and Weapon H because I don't read them, I would rank the ongoings in the following order:

1) Astonishing X-men - one issue into Rosenberg and it's already my favorite. Not much of a surprise given I love his New Mutants and Madrox minis.
2) Mr. and Mrs. X - based on the first issue plus the previous mini, Thompson and Rosenberg are my favorite Marvel writers at the moment.
3) X-men Blue - It may have gotten weak lately but Bunn is still great and I trust he'll end strong.
4) X-men Red - Taylor is a solid writer so far. I wish the story would pick up steam a bit though.
5) X-23 - I wasn't initially impressed with Tamaki's writing on She-Hulk but her style fits quite well with Laura
6) Domino - Just a fun time
7) Old Man Logan - It was a better book under Lemire, but there are still flashes of brilliance in this book. I am ready for Logan to be retired.
8) X-men Gold - It isn't utter trash but it feels like a chore to read
9) Weapon X - I haven't liked this book for a while. Not sure that the all villains team is going to sway me
10) Exiles - Probably not deserving of the bottom spot but my high hopes for this book were so severely under-met that I'm a bit bitter towards it.
Current Pull List
Uncanny X-men, Iceman, Mr & Mrs X, Runaways, West Coast Avengers, Champions, Ms Marvel, Dr Strange, Fantastic Four

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 01 Aug 2018, 14:59

1. Weapon Lost
2. New Mutants
3. X-Men Red
4. X-Men blue
5. Mystery in Madripoor
6. Astonishing X-Men
7. Weapon X
7. Hunt for Wolverine: Adamantium Agenda
8. Old Man Logan
9. Claws of a Killer
10. X-Men Gold
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 01 Aug 2018, 16:56

1. Astonishing X-Men
2. Mr. and Mrs. X
3. X-Men Red
4. X-23
5. Mystery in Madripoor
6. Domino
7. New Mutants: Dead Souls
8. Weapon Lost
9. X-Men Blue
10. Deadpool: Assassin
11. Claws of a Killer
12. Old Man Logan
13. Cable
14. Adamantium Agenda
15. X-Men Gold
16. Weapon X
17. Exiles
18. Weapon H

1-7 are great reads every month. 8-13 are enjoyable but nothing exciting. 14-18 are bore city and I'm just waiting for new creative teams or series ends.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 01 Aug 2018, 17:19

So I only get marvel unlimited, so I'm 6 months behind in all things. I am such an Exiles fans that I did pick up the first 3 issues, and yeah didn't meet my high expectations. I recently reread those 3 issues and it did improve on reread, but I'll still probably wait for unlimited

I am looking forward to Mr and Mrs X. And while Gold isn't my favourite book I don't think it's as bad as everyone else thinks. I do enjoy all new wolverine and blue.
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

Cable

Post by Cable » 01 Aug 2018, 18:46

I didn't rate the books that "kind of are, kind of aren't" X-titles like Exiles, Weapon H, or Spider-Man/Deadpool. They would probably be in the middle to lower range of titles that are fine but I'm not excited to read them.

Pretty much everyone has placed Blue above Gold but me so let me explain my reasons there. The writing in Gold is not great, but at least Guggenheim is writing characters I care about. The O5? The Poisons? Jimmy Hudson? There is so much in Blue that is just of no interest to me. Then you combine that with Gold in my opinion lately has been receiving consistently better artists (David Marquez and Pere Perez are both great on Gold. Blue has had 4 different artists in the past 5 issues and of varying quality) and overall Gold is ahead of Blue for me.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 01 Aug 2018, 18:58

Cable wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 18:46
Pretty much everyone has placed Blue above Gold
I think the reason most of us feel this way is because Bunn is writing some of the side characters really well while Guggeheim is writing the main characters badly. I'm referring to Magneto, Polaris, Havok, Emma Frost, etc. Everyone seems to agree that the Cry Havok arc is the best part of Blue over the last 10+ issues and is choosing to ignore the Poison stuff.

I didn't really take art into my considerations but I can definitely agree that Marvel puts more top artistic talent on their flagship. If I had to pick a title with my favorite art though I'd probably go Mr and Mrs X or X-23 currently. I could also cheat and pick Ed Piskor on Grand Design. The other minis do not have that great of art unfortunately (Multiple Man and New Mutants) despite me putting them at the top of my list. Also the last issue of Weapon X looked like pure garbage. I imagine the increased output of that book really hurt it.
Current Pull List
Uncanny X-men, Iceman, Mr & Mrs X, Runaways, West Coast Avengers, Champions, Ms Marvel, Dr Strange, Fantastic Four

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 01 Aug 2018, 20:01

It’s a taste thing cause I love the New mutants artist and except dor the Poisons stuff Blue has had a pretty good stable of artist. Weapon X had Greg Land upfront so they never had great art (although has any 1 modern artist drawn more X-Men issues than him?).

Astonishingg actually had good art too...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 04 Aug 2018, 00:29

I also think most of the people on here give Bunn a pass for how hit and miss Blue’s got lately due to his previous body of work. Guggenheim has been consistently terrible in both X-Books that he’s worked on.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

ev82

Post by ev82 » 10 Aug 2018, 14:50

Magik84 wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 17:19
So I only get marvel unlimited, so I'm 6 months behind in all things. I am such an Exiles fans that I did pick up the first 3 issues, and yeah didn't meet my high expectations. I recently reread those 3 issues and it did improve on reread, but I'll still probably wait for unlimited

I am looking forward to Mr and Mrs X. And while Gold isn't my favourite book I don't think it's as bad as everyone else thinks. I do enjoy all new wolverine and blue.
Gold has steadly gotten worse as it has progressed. I'll be interested to see if you agree when you do finish it.
X-Men Editorial Draft
X-Men: Magik|Cannonball|Psylocke|Thunderbird II|Gentile|Petra
All New X-Factor: Havok|Frenzy|Forge|Sunfire|Bloodstorm(Mutant X)|Wild Child|Cipher