Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Men Draft: Editorial Edition

Level 10: In this section, people will argue about all x-related topics, such as certain character ages, continuity or the nature of the Phoenix. Newbies beware!
Cable

Re: X-Men Draft: Editorial Edition

Post by Cable » 24 Sep 2018, 12:55

Spectral Knight wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 06:28

I would suggest that while free agents are kept, I'm not sure having them as a specific round would be as good as allowing that free pick as a replacement for any other normal round. Or at least not having it back to back with the transfer round (which was probably the most fun round of all!) as it meant a crazy long wait between 'normal picks' for some of us.
I originally did not intend to have the two special rounds back-to-back. However I became concerned about breaking the draft order. For example if you go down the list on turn 7, go up the list for a special round in turn 8, and then go back down a normal pick for turn 9, you have essentially allowed the people at the top of the list two normal picks in a row. So I did the two special rounds in a row so the normal order was just paused for a complete two turns up and down the list. There are other solutions, like I could have gone down the list in a normal round and then just said for the special round we go down the list again (I think turn order is much less important in the Free Agent or Transfer Rounds) before resuming coming up for the next normal round, but this was the easiest solution.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 24 Sep 2018, 13:12

Yeah, I was thinking about how to avoid it too...but it's a bit of a minor nitpick really. Unless you could use the transfer pick any point, just not declare it as a transfer until right at the end - but this might mean you have to PM the draft organiser at the point of transfer, and it generally gets a bit fiddly. And I suppose you could end up loaning a character that you're being transferred... eugh too confusing.
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 24 Sep 2018, 17:45

I also liked having the title before the draft. Definitely one of those things where the constraints drive creativity I think.

The Free Agent pick was really helpful and I like having it in a draft, really helps in filling in holes and such.

The Loan pick... honestly, I kinda didn't even intend to use it until forced to, but that might've been just my own impression of what it means to 'loan' a character. I also didn't lose any big characters early on, whereas I can see someone who had their titles revolving around one character could really use it as a safety pick (as SK needed).

The Transfer pick, eh. People played too nice ;) Or it might've just been too late in the draft, with most of the big characters gone by that point.

Thanks again for running this one though, it was a lot of fun and an interesting spin.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 25 Sep 2018, 06:46

There were 3 people I wanted for my Starjammers team: Havok, Polaris, Corsair and I definitely needed 2 of them. I knew Corsair would be safe, he's simply not that popular, but I'd hoped to get Havok or Polaris so I could use my loan on the other.

Then I decided I wanted Cloak and Dagger so everything went to shit. Most everything was just poor planning on my part with this draft though.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...