Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Men Draft: Editorial Edition

Level 10: In this section, people will argue about all x-related topics, such as certain character ages, continuity or the nature of the Phoenix. Newbies beware!
Cable

X-Men Draft: Editorial Edition

Post by Cable » 15 Jul 2018, 02:10

As the Justice League Draft winds down I will open sign-ups for the next X-Men edition. Leave a comment below if you wish to participate. Everyone is welcome whether you've played every previous draft game on the forum or whether you have never played one and don't even know who the X-Men are (not sure why you are here but welcome). All there is to it is this: I assign a player order after sign-ups are closed and each person takes a turn picking a character from a list until all the rosters are filled. Pick at random or pick with care it is up to you, but the more thought you put into it the more you tend to get out of it in fun. Or maybe misery, as the best laid plans of mutants and men often go awry. See an example of a previous draft here.

Please keep in mind the draft can take weeks to complete and you need to be able to get online every 2-3 days to take your turn and not hold up other players.

This draft will be slightly different to my others. I have said before in analyzing the results that actual Marvel editors should select the cast of books this way. Well we are going to do just that. I am executive editor and you are my associate editors and each of you will be assigned two titles to fill a cast out for so by the end we have a full line-up of X-books (yes editorial staff has become a bit bloated but you can never have too many X-Men series).

I feel like this is the best of both worlds as for those who want an objective to work toward you will have a specific book title in mind, while those who want max freedom will be able to reimagine their title in any way they want: see real examples of Alpha Flight going from Canadian heroes to a space team, or Excalibur going from a UK team to being about the rebuilding of Genosha. It is up to you how much you want to fit the traditional view of the book you are given or not (or how much you are able to fit it after those other players steal all your picks). You will have some choice in your assignments as before the game starts I will via PM send a shortlist of titles to each of you to pick the two books you want from. Not everyone will pick from the same list as I want the full range of possibilities secret. The titles you receive will not be known to other players until the end of the game (or any time you want to tell people, though for strategy reasons it might not be wise.)

There will be a couple of other new special rules to shake the game up but I won't detail those just yet.

-------------------
Following is the list of characters. By the end you will have THIRTEEN characters, broken down in the following way:
10 regular picks from the list
1 Free Agent pick not on the list
1 Transfer pick from the list made for you by another player
1 Loan pick from the crossed out characters on the list

The Free Agent pick will be made in ROUND 8
The Transfer pick will be made in ROUND 9
The Loan pick replaces one of the other rounds of your choice

Free Agents
This feature returns from the Exiles Draft. For those who did not play that one, there will be a designated Free Agent round in which everyone will pick a character that is NOT on the list. For example, a non-X hero, any kind of villain, an alternate universe version of a character, etc. But let's stick to characters that have appeared in Marvel superhero comics this time.

Transfers
There will be a designated Transfer round in which each player will pick a character only for that character to be transferred to someone else's roster; in other words, you pick for someone else that round. You will be told ahead of time what player you are picking for. It is then up to you how to handle this. You could look at their current choices and try to give them someone that seems to fit but who you are not interested in. But then again when the draft gets towards the end maybe that would have turned out to be a character you could use. So you could play it safe and use your Transfer on just the worst possible character to make sure they get booted to someone else.

Loans
As we all know in the comics some characters are popular and appear on more than one team at a time. At any point in this draft during one of your regular turns you may instead choose to use your Loan pick. You will select a character that has already been chosen by someone; that character will still appear on that player's roster but will also be loaned to you to appear in your title as well. Note that a character can only be loaned one time. Thus while you may think of waiting until the very last turn to see who is available for loan, if there is someone you really want you may want to use your Loan sooner. For example if you want Storm and the first person picks her and the second person uses a Loan pick on her, you could not get her and would have to use the Loan on someone else. But the Loan also will replace your regular turn that round and you might miss someone else...choose wisely

There is an asterisk beside each player's name to signify you have not used your Loan. After you use it the asterisk will be placed beside the character to signal they are no longer available.

Your titles have been chosen via PM and will not be revealed until the end unless you voluntarily choose to. Your 13 characters can be divided between your two titles however you wish; the order you choose your characters does not matter.

If you have any questions about who certain characters are let me know.

If you are going to be absent for a couple days or more you can always PM me a shortlist of characters you are interested in and I will make sure you get one on your turn.

The draft has begun! We are in Round 6

OffdaCheney*
WorldWideWade*
Blackcyclops*
Juggernaut*
Magik84
Spectral Knight*
Magnus*
Hotknives*
SnowBrigade*
Anna Raven*
das_boot
MartijnB
MrFoom
RingOtaku*
ev82
EphemeristX*
Wings
tokenbg1009
bamf
Gibbering Fool*

Aero
Agent Brand
Agent X
Anarchist
Angel Salvadore
Angel/Archangel
Angel - Time Displaced
Annalee
Anole
Ape
Ariel
Armor
Artie and Leech
Aurora
Banshee
Basilisk
Beak
Beast
Beast - Time Displaced
Beautiful Dreamer
Bedlam
Bird-Brain
Bishop
Blaquesmith
Blindfold
Bling
Blink
Bloodstorm
Boom-Boom
Box
Box II
Broo
Cable
Caliban
Callisto
Cannonball
Captain Britain
Catiana
Cecilia Reyes*
Cerise
Chamber
Ch'od
Cipher
Cloak
Colossus
Copycat
Corsair
Crosta
Cyclops
Cyclops - Time Displaced
Cypher
Dagger
Daken
Danger
Darkstar
Darwin
Daytripper
Dazzler
Dead Girl
Deadpool
Decay
Diamond Lil
Doctor Nemesis
Domino
Doop
Dummy
Dust
Elixir
Emma Frost
Empath
Erg
Ernst
Eye-Boy
Face
Fantomelle
Fantomex
Feral
Feron
Firefist
Firestar
Flashback
Forge
ForgetMeNot
Frenzy
Gambit
Gateway
Gazing Nightshade
Genesis
Gentle
Glob Herman
Goblyn
Goldballs
Graymalkin
Guardian
Havok*
Hellion
Hepzibah
Hexadecimal
Hijack
Hindsight
Honey Badger
Hope
Husk
Icarus
Iceman
Iceman - Time Displaced
Indra
Ink
Joseph
Jubilee
Juggernaut
Kid Gladiator
Kid Omega
Korvus
Kylun
Lady Deathstrike
Lady Mastermind
Layla Miller
Legion
Lifeguard
Lila Cheney
Lilandra
Loa
Longshot
M*
Madelyn Pryor
Maggott
Magik
Magma
Magneto
Manikin
Marrina
Marrow
Match
Maverick
Meggan
Mercury
Micromax
Mimic
Moonstar
Morph
Multiple Man
Mystique
Namor
Nature Girl
Negasonic Teenage Warhead
Nightcrawler
Nocturne
No-Girl
Norio
Northstar
Old Man Logan
Omega Red
Omega Sentinel
Omerta
Onyxx
Orphan
Outlaw
Oya
Persuasion
Pete Wisdom
Petra
Phat
Phoenix*
Phoenix - Time Displaced
Pixie*
Polaris
Prestige
Primal
Prodigy
Professor X
Psylocke*
Puck
Pulse
Pyro II
Quicksilver
Quill
Radian
Random
Raza
Redneck
Revanche
Rictor
Risque
Rockslide*
Rogue
Sabra
Sabretooth
Sage
Sasquatch
Scorpion Boy
Shadowcat
Shaman
Shark-Girl
Shatterstar
Siryn
Skids
Skin
Slipstream
Smart Alec
Snowbird
Spiral
Sprite
Squid Boy
Stacy X
Stepford Cuckoos
Storm*
Strong Guy
Sunder
Sunfire
Sunpyre
Sunspot
Surge
Sway
Sydren
Synch
Tag
Talisman
Tar Baby
Tattoo
Tempus
Thornn
Thunderbird
Thunderbird II
Toad
Trance
Transonic
Triage
Trinary
U-Go Girl
Vange Whedon
Vanisher
Velocidad
Vindicator
Vivisector
Vulcan
Wallflower
Warbird
Warlock
Warpath
Weapon H
Whisper Doll
Wild Child
Wind Dancer
Wither
Wiz Kid
Wolf Cub
Wolfsbane
Wolverine
Wolverine (Hudson)
Wraith
X-Man
Xorn
Xorn II
X-Treme
X-23
Yukio
Zero
Last edited by Cable on 17 Aug 2018, 09:43, edited 80 times in total.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Blackcyclops

Re: X-Men Draft: Editorial Edition

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 Jul 2018, 02:19

I’m in!!!!!!!
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 15 Jul 2018, 03:26

Sure, sign me up
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 15 Jul 2018, 04:12

Sign me up Cable!
MCU Draft
Heroes - Jessica Jones|Rocket|Ghost Rider|Leo Fitz|Sif|Howard Stark|Gert + Old Lace
Villains: Loki|Killgrave|Ego
X-Editorial: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Meggan

ev82

Post by ev82 » 15 Jul 2018, 04:17

im in
GOTG Draft:Polaris|Gladiator|Lilandra Neramani|Medusa|Korvus|Major Victory|Hepzibah|Irani Rael (Nova Corps)|Neutron
Nemeses: The Celestials

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 15 Jul 2018, 07:11

Of course, I'm in.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

Wings

Post by Wings » 15 Jul 2018, 12:20

In
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Wings

Post by Wings » 15 Jul 2018, 12:20

In
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 15 Jul 2018, 17:46

IN LIKE SIN
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

OffDaCheney

Post by OffDaCheney » 15 Jul 2018, 18:38

I'll join please.
"Who X's the X-Men?"

Draft Teams: X-Men "The X-Defenders", Exiles "The Ubiquitous Undecate", GotG "The Defenders of Deep Space"

Juggernaut

Post by Juggernaut » 15 Jul 2018, 18:38

This is a fantastic idea. I'm in

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 15 Jul 2018, 18:47

I will join
DC Draft Results: Martian Manhunter | Zatanna | GL (John Stewart) | Shazam! | Flash (Barry Allen)| Katana | Hawkman
Legion of Doom: Sinestro | Black Adam | Flash's Rogues

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 15 Jul 2018, 21:02

You know, I think my favourite thing about this draft is the capacity for each player to potentially get given a title/premise that they wouldn’t normally read and therefore have to think about what WOULD make them read that kind of title. Ugh. I’m already anxious.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 15 Jul 2018, 21:08

In like Flynn.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 16 Jul 2018, 00:58

Sounds interesting, I'll try it out.

MrFOOM

Post by MrFOOM » 16 Jul 2018, 05:17

I'm in
Fantasy Draft: Doctor Strange, Hulk, Namor, Venom, Mr. Immortal (off), Professor X, Old Man Logan, Honey Badger, Mary Jane Watson, Thanos, Cosmic Ghost Rider (on).

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 16 Jul 2018, 07:21

IN

bamf

Post by bamf » 16 Jul 2018, 10:00

In.
MFL: Captain America, Iron Man, Storm, Daredevil, Nightcrawler, Ant-Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Iron Fist

X-Editorial: Angel, Sunspot, Monet, Karma, Colossus, Lila Cheney

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 16 Jul 2018, 11:23

das_boot wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 21:02
You know, I think my favourite thing about this draft is the capacity for each player to potentially get given a title/premise that they wouldn’t normally read and therefore have to think about what WOULD make them read that kind of title. Ugh. I’m already anxious.
This. I know one book I really want. And I know there'd be books I'd struggle on.

What'll probably happen is getting the books I'd struggle on, and then getting those who I'd know would work on the title get stolen before round 3. Because, drafts...
MCU Draft
Heroes - Jessica Jones|Rocket|Ghost Rider|Leo Fitz|Sif|Howard Stark|Gert + Old Lace
Villains: Loki|Killgrave|Ego
X-Editorial: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Meggan

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 16 Jul 2018, 12:13

Sounds interesting, I'm in.
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 16 Jul 2018, 13:05

I'll join. Sounds interesting, and I'm very interested in the mechanics of this draft. Is there a player cap?
X-Editorial Draft:
Emma Frost, Kid Omega, Rockslide, Stepford Cuckoos, Doop

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 16 Jul 2018, 13:30

Spectral Knight wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 11:23
das_boot wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 21:02
This. I know one book I really want. And I know there'd be books I'd struggle on.

What'll probably happen is getting the books I'd struggle on, and then getting those who I'd know would work on the title get stolen before round 3. Because, drafts...
Oh totally. If anything, i’m trying to figure out what i DON’T want and what I would do for a cast/story more than for what I DO want. BRAIN FART

Snowbrigade

Post by Snowbrigade » 16 Jul 2018, 13:59

Im in, if theres still room for more players :)
Take no heroes, only inspiration

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Jul 2018, 15:10

This might be the most epic draft yet...

I guarantee there’s going to be threats of forum-violence, hatred, somebody commenting “your idea sounds better than <insert writer you dislike”, and the “it’s all going to plan”...I’m so excited right now. I already hate Anna for stealing a pick from me lol
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 16 Jul 2018, 15:44

Blackcyclops wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 15:10

I guarantee there’s going to be threats of forum-violence, hatred, somebody commenting “your idea sounds better than <insert writer you dislike”, and the “it’s all going to plan”...
Dude. Just say my name. I’m like Beetlejuice and appear at will anyway, so...