Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Am I alone in disliking Jason Aaron's Wolverine & the X-Men?

Level 10: In this section, people will argue about all x-related topics, such as certain character ages, continuity or the nature of the Phoenix. Newbies beware!
bennroe

Am I alone in disliking Jason Aaron's Wolverine & the X-Men?

Post by bennroe » 14 Dec 2016, 03:32

I see people lauding this run all the time, I remember people raving about it when it was current, and I just can't stand almost anything about it. I get that the X-Men have had some goofy moments in the past, and I realize that comics had been trending darker and darker for a long time by this point (leading many to hope for something more "fun"), but I just found the whole series to be a tedious misuse of characters. Even when the X-Men have historically been a little goofy, it's always felt like it was more about humanizing the characters than forcing a punchline. I like fun stories as much as anyone, but the X-Men books have never been comedies. It felt really forced to appropriate these particular characters to tell stories so out-of-sync with their historical tone. I guess I'm not sure why there couldn't have instead been a new "fun" book from Marvel featuring entirely new characters, free of the burden of an established history of more nuanced tone.

Am I alone here?
X-Men Dream Team: Chamber, Dust, Karma, Magik, Psylocke, Wolverine

Blackcyclops

Re: Am I alone in disliking Jason Aaron's Wolverine & the X-

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Dec 2016, 04:08

No, alot of people didn't like it. Just look up the threads on this site.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 14 Dec 2016, 05:39

I disliked MOST of it, but there were times it was a generally good book. I caught it on the tail end and I'd gladly erase the entire series from history for the Toad/Husk story that was going on. Then again, at least someone used her.

I do feel like the X-Men can easily do more fun, light-hearted stories, though. This just wasn't a great, and not often good, one.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Cable

Post by Cable » 14 Dec 2016, 11:27

I didn't like it either. Just the overall tone wasn't my style. I found his version of the Hellfire Club to be ridiculous.
Best X-Comic last week: Wolverine and Captain America: Weapon Plus
Best non X-Comic last week: Miles Morales Spider-Man #8

bennroe

Post by bennroe » 14 Dec 2016, 13:51

I tried looking up other threads, but it turns out the words 'Wolverine', 'and', 'the', and 'X-Men' are all too common on this board for it to yield any results. Go figure. Anyway, I'm glad it isn't just me.

Wings

Post by Wings » 14 Dec 2016, 13:55

I enjoyed it up until the Circus arc, the more lighthearted tone of the book fit well with the optimism that came with rebuilding the school after everything the X-Men has been through since M-Day had hit and Aaron retained enough seriousness to keep me hooked (Schism beforehand, The opening arc, the Beast vs. Sabretooth fight issue, Rachel's focus issue during Avengers vs. X-Men). The more hopeful tone was also a good contrast to the darker tone of the book's opposite number, Gillen's Uncanny X-Men.

But once the Circus arc hit, it went off the rails for me.

I got what Aaron was trying to do with Quentin Quire, but never really gelled with me. After everything Quite had done and his lack of remorse, it didn't make sense to me. And I found his romance with Oya more than a little creepy.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 14 Dec 2016, 14:05

bennroe wrote:I see people lauding this run all the time, I remember people raving about it when it was current, and I just can't stand almost anything about it. I get that the X-Men have had some goofy moments in the past, and I realize that comics had been trending darker and darker for a long time by this point (leading many to hope for something more "fun"), but I just found the whole series to be a tedious misuse of characters. Even when the X-Men have historically been a little goofy, it's always felt like it was more about humanizing the characters than forcing a punchline. I like fun stories as much as anyone, but the X-Men books have never been comedies. It felt really forced to appropriate these particular characters to tell stories so out-of-sync with their historical tone. I guess I'm not sure why there couldn't have instead been a new "fun" book from Marvel featuring entirely new characters, free of the burden of an established history of more nuanced tone.

Am I alone here?
I hated every minute of it and resent its existence.

The one issue I liked was after Wolverine died and everyone reminisced. That was touching. Not sure if Aaron wrote that or nah.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Dec 2016, 14:15

bennroe wrote:I tried looking up other threads, but it turns out the words 'Wolverine', 'and', 'the', and 'X-Men' are all too common on this board for it to yield any results. Go figure. Anyway, I'm glad it isn't just me.

You gotta refine yo...because trust me the search tool is your best friend sometimes lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 14 Dec 2016, 14:55

I actually really liked this series when it started, the art was amazing, and i particularly liked Broo, that little gentle genius. However, the main problem i believe was the villains and Aaron's determination to make them work, and really, they were kids, and there is no easy way to do that because you can find them annoying easily but you cant really hit them. Also, the tone was sometimes to shifty, some serious issues with some wacky adventures.

Pros: Broo and the art.
Lows: The circus saga, Oya in lingerie, the helfire brats, Dust going crazy and her relationship with Toad.

It was so promising at first (Iceman was a heavy hitter, there were supposed to be fun classes, the students would appear).
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 14 Dec 2016, 15:05

I liked Firestar finally being an X-Man. I loved all the weird Hellfire Academy characters (other than the Inner Circle). I loved that it represented the rebirth of the mutant gene in practice. I enjoyed Broo and Krakoa.

I hated the characterization of QQ and Angel. I hated Bobby dating Kitty (she's only allowed to date Peters, sorry). I hated the slapstick tone.
Last edited by EphemeristX on 14 Dec 2016, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

grief

Post by grief » 14 Dec 2016, 15:05

I loved it. So many strange and interesting concepts. Vol. 2 was garbage though.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

Cable

Post by Cable » 14 Dec 2016, 15:19

grief wrote:I loved it. So many strange and interesting concepts. Vol. 2 was garbage though.
In Latour's vol 2 I appreciated how ambitious it was, but yeah ultimately it didn't work out.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Dec 2016, 15:19

You mean Husk not Dust manuel lol...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 14 Dec 2016, 16:25

Oh God, yes, poor Dust.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 14 Dec 2016, 16:42

grief wrote:I loved it. So many strange and interesting concepts. Vol. 2 was garbage though.
Me too Grief. I guess I just felt it had a ton of heart. Lots of great emotional beats. I always feel bad its such a divisive run, because I feel like maybe something is wrong with me for loving it so much.
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll
Avengers International Draft: France|Spectrum|Capt. Universe|Swordsman|Batroc|M|Finesse|Deadpool

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 14 Dec 2016, 16:55

Ultimately fun trumps pretty much everything in my eyes when it comes to a comic run, but that's just my taste. WatX made me laugh and enjoy myself every time I read it so it was on the top of my comic stack most every month. I can't think of another X-series that made me smile so much in recent memory other than the Spider-man and X-men series which was another successor to WatX.

I know a lot of us like to take our X-men seriously because the characters mean so much to a lot of us, but sometimes I want all the drama to be toned down and just have a light-hearted romp. The series wasn't supposed to be the headliner X-book like Uncanny, that was Gillen slaying it on the other side of the Schism, but it was a great counterpoint to that series that featured lesser used characters.
Current Pull List
Uncanny X-men, Iceman, Mr & Mrs X, Runaways, West Coast Avengers, Champions, Ms Marvel, Dr Strange, Fantastic Four

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Dec 2016, 17:14

Anna Raven wrote:
Me too Grief. I guess I just felt it had a ton of heart. Lots of great emotional beats. I always feel bad its such a divisive run, because I feel like maybe something is wrong with me for loving it so much.

You shouldn't...I learned to just let go and like what I like lol...because I went through the same feeling when it felt like I was the only person on here (besides one or two others) who didn't hate Fraction's run. I just realized that didn't runs scratch different itches for me...so I embraced the fact that I think alot of pre-OZT X-runs were more entertaining than some of CC's run (just like I think CC's NMs is better than everything on his UXM run post Mutant Massacre by like a large margin) to me or that I really really liked alot of 90s X-Force lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 14 Dec 2016, 18:02

I also may be conflating Aaron and Latour's volumes in my head. I liked Aaron's better than Latour's.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

bennroe

Post by bennroe » 14 Dec 2016, 18:30

No, totally. You shouldn't feel any shame for liking what you like! If you liked this book, awesome! You're clearly not alone. For me, it was just too silly and light-hearted.

ev82

Post by ev82 » 14 Dec 2016, 19:26

I liked it through AVX and then it just was blah to me.
X-Men Editorial Draft
X-Men: Magik|Cannonball|Psylocke|Thunderbird II|Gentile|Petra
All New X-Factor: Havok|Frenzy|Forge|Sunfire|Bloodstorm(Mutant X)|Wild Child|Cipher

ultimatekey

Post by ultimatekey » 14 Dec 2016, 20:19

I am one of those people who actually liked Wolverine and the X-Men Vol 1. Vol 2 was terrible af.

I liked the HuskXToad relationship, event though it turned out that it was due to Paige's secondary mutation of having mood swings every time she "husks" to a new form.

I just didn't like it when the Latour dropped the plotline of Toad leaving the school and running off with Dr. Frankenstein. That story had potential.

I wondered what they planned to do with Manuel Enduque at the Jean Grey School of Learning. Was he going to be the replacement Prodigy, but rich?

I didn't like the fact that in WatXM Vol 2, the Hellfire Club kiddies are all back together are on good terms. It is as if Latour just ignored everything that happened in the last volume.

I personally thought having the new Hellfire Club being run by preteens was interesting, creative, and unique. They were all budding sociopaths but Dr. Frankenstein's backstory was tragic and very sad (imo).

And Aaron was the only writer who has ever follow up on and done anything with Angel. I mean the spiritually-reborn Angel (pun intended). He gave him new and cool powers, mentioned how the Life Seed is affecting his lifespan and affecting his powers, etc.

I honestly think that this volume had a lot of hidden gems that most people do not see nor notice.

At first Oya confessed to being in love with Broo but she quickly changed to liking Kid Omega. I guess her and Broo would not work out? They managed to keep a brother and sister-like relationship. After meeting with that "preacher," she decided to throw caution in the wind and kiss Quentin Quire since, from her perspective, they were all cursed and doomed.

I did not like Oya and Kid Omega at first but it grew on me.

And let's not forget that Warbird was introduced in this series, which led to her having an amazing characterization in Astonishing X-Men.

Besides, WatXM vol 1 had some really good art!

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 15 Dec 2016, 10:37

It's really weird for me to dislike the book.

I've complained constantly how I HATE how dark the X-Men comics started to get Post-HoM. I HATED what happened with Academy X, except for Emma tearing Carol apart above Jay's death, I HATED Decimation. You'd think a book that is fun, light and zany would be exactly what I wanted. Unfortunately, that's not what happened. I like the IDEA of the book, but I just couldn't convince myself to enjoy it.

Maybe I'll try it again from the beginning. I've found that giving a book a second shot seems to redeem it a bit in my eyes.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Cable

Post by Cable » 15 Dec 2016, 11:37

ultimatekey wrote: I just didn't like it when the Latour dropped the plotline of Toad leaving the school and running off with Dr. Frankenstein. That story had potential.
I don't blame Latour for not following up on it right away, but then Toad appears back at the school in Spider-Man and the X-Men (hated that series too) and when Hopeless uses the character again they basically just ignored it. That was really annoying.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 Dec 2016, 11:46

Well he didn't retcon it, he just skipped it and had Toad just not mention it *shrug*

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Cable

Post by Cable » 15 Dec 2016, 11:58

Blackcyclops wrote:Well he didn't retcon it, he just skipped it and had Toad just not mention it *shrug*
There is very little difference between a retcon and completely ignoring something. In fact a retcon is sometimes better.