Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

To Beard or Not To Beard

Level 10: In this section, people will argue about all x-related topics, such as certain character ages, continuity or the nature of the Phoenix. Newbies beware!
Cable

To Beard or Not To Beard

Post by Cable » 22 Jan 2023, 20:25

Obviously this is going to be subjective because some prefer facial hair and some do not, but I am wondering if it is character-specific. For each of the following do you prefer their character design to have facial hair or not?

CYCLOPS
Spoiler: show

ICEMAN

HAVOK

NIGHTCRAWLER

BANSHEE

COLOSSUS

Best Comics of Week 3

X-titles: Immortal X-Men #10 by Kieron Gillen (1) and Lucas Werneck (1)
Non-X titles: Spider-Man Lost Hunt #3 by JM DeMatteis (1) and Kyle Hotz (1), Eder Messias (1)

In parentheses # of times creator has had best comic this year

clayford

Re: To Beard or Not To Beard

Post by clayford » 23 Jan 2023, 01:41

Scott: No. Bobby: Hell no. Alex: Indifferent. Kurt: Both ways look good. Sean: Yes. Peter: Yes. But oddly enough, armored Peter looks better with a beard than non-armored.
Formerly on here as Cly, but forgot my password...and which email address was associated with the account...

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 23 Jan 2023, 03:07

Cyclops: hard no
Iceman: generally no, though I did like his Ice Wizard look
Havok: no
Nightcrawler: both ways good
Banshee: indifferent, would have to see more to decide. A lot of times he has muttonchops too.
Colossus: definitely yes

As someone with a beard myself I'd like to see more beards though. Bishop usually has one and looks good. Others who I think would look good with them: Magneto, Angel, Sunfire

(I really liked Wolverine's look in Logan but I don't think it works for 616 Wolverine.)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 23 Jan 2023, 03:25

Sunfire would be so dope with one especially powered up
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 23 Jan 2023, 12:09

Cyclops - No
Iceman - a light beard is fine - a heavy beard, nope.
Havok - Not a fan of the beard, but a bit of stubble would suit Alex, I think
Nightcrawler looks great with a beard - it begs questions if he needs to be shaving regularly to maintain his 'normal' fur level, and what happens if he uses a closer blade though... but that's nit picking.
Banshee - Yes - I think he can definitely carry a full beard.
Colossus - With Clayford - in armoured form, the beard is fine, but I don't think it works for him in non-armoured.

He's not mentioned here, but I definitely think Cable suits a beard. It adds to his 'ruggedness'.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 23 Jan 2023, 13:40

Bishop really is the beard GOAT…which reminds me if a joke from a movie “I never trust a Black man without a mustache and never trust a white man with one” lol…
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 23 Jan 2023, 14:54

What about bearded Magneto?

Savage Avengers Draft: She-Hulk | Elektra | Echo | Gamora | Rogue | Chun Li | White Widow | Shuri

Holland Oates

Post by Holland Oates » 23 Jan 2023, 16:41

Anna Raven wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 14:54
What about bearded Magneto?

Looks too much like sexy Santa to me.

grief

Post by grief » 23 Jan 2023, 20:16

616 Cyclops: Not like in that picture no. HOWEVER. AoA Prelate Summers doesn't look right without that five o'clock shadow. The potential is there for Cyclops.

Iceman: No.

Havok: Cyclops is the stern, professional older brother and Havok is the perennial screw up - I think that's earned him the right to a slacker beard.

Nightcrawler: I think Kurt looks good either way, but yes for beard.

Banshee: Ah, the Gen X five o'clock shadow. I miss when Sean was competent and important. Yes to beard.

Colossus: Yes to a beard.

Bishop: Beard always.

Magneto: No thanks.

Sunfire: That's a no for me.

What about Strong Guy?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/pin-em-co ... 775025461/
My podcast, Comic Book Breakdown, updates Thursdays at https://comicbookbreakdown.libsyn.com/

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 23 Jan 2023, 20:51

YES to Havok with a beard please! Always had a bit of a crush on him and the beard only increases it!!
he / him

📖: Morrison's New X-Men | DnA's Cosmic Saga | Hickman's New/Avengers & Secret Wars | Dawn/Reign/Destiny Of X
📺: Guardians | Black Panther | Ragnarok | Infinity War/Endgame | WandaVision | Loki | No Way Home | Multiverse Of Madness

P-90

Post by P-90 » 23 Jan 2023, 23:46

grief wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 20:16
616 Cyclops: Not like in that picture no. HOWEVER. AoA Prelate Summers doesn't look right without that five o'clock shadow. The potential is there for Cyclops.

Iceman: No.

Havok: Cyclops is the stern, professional older brother and Havok is the perennial screw up - I think that's earned him the right to a slacker beard.

Nightcrawler: I think Kurt looks good either way, but yes for beard.

Banshee: Ah, the Gen X five o'clock shadow. I miss when Sean was competent and important. Yes to beard.

Colossus: Yes to a beard.

Bishop: Beard always.

Magneto: No thanks.

Sunfire: That's a no for me.

What about Strong Guy?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/pin-em-co ... 775025461/
Sean and Bishop always looked good with a beard, though not too thick, and Sean should definitely get rid of the sideburns.
I think the beard suits Guido, also he looks far better with a bald head, with or without the beard.
Last edited by P-90 on 24 Jan 2023, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

grief

Post by grief » 23 Jan 2023, 23:50

Maybe I'm a madman, but I thought Alex looked really good with those mutton chops during Inhumans V X-Men. Admittedly, he was rocking a whole "pirate" look at the time, but I thought it worked for him. I'd post a picture, but I can't find a good one for the life of me.

(More than it's ever worked for Sebastian Shaw anyway)
My podcast, Comic Book Breakdown, updates Thursdays at https://comicbookbreakdown.libsyn.com/

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 24 Jan 2023, 17:48

grief wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 23:50
Maybe I'm a madman, but I thought Alex looked really good with those mutton chops during Inhumans V X-Men. Admittedly, he was rocking a whole "pirate" look at the time, but I thought it worked for him. I'd post a picture, but I can't find a good one for the life of me.
Took a quick skim through IvX and this panel from #6 is probably the best one (the art in #5 is not great). Looks like Yu drew it as more of a full beard though, whereas Garron drew it as muttonchops with stubble in the chin area.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 24 Jan 2023, 19:20

We should also add ponytails/long hair to this discussion. Because I think it’s underrated how much a pony can dramatically change a dude and Cyclops in AoA with the long hair is him at his sexiest.
-Cly

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 25 Jan 2023, 07:45

Cyclops looks better with stubble than a beard.

Havok and Iceman are a no for me, the rest? Yes please.

I feel like Gambit could rock one, and I’d love for there to be an evil Madrox dupe with a beard, because it fits the noir aesthetic of “villains have facial hair”. I would like one panel of Chamber either lamenting that he can’t grow a beard due to his lack of lower face, or secretly being happy about it because he can’t grow a beard anyway.

Also I love that a thread that is ostensibly “look at this absolute fine specimen of a man” thread was started by a straight person. Cable you are doing gay God’s work.
Sinister’s Lab now secretly altering other player’s posts in the RPG section

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 25 Jan 2023, 09:26

Blackcyclops wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 19:20
We should also add ponytails/long hair to this discussion. Because I think it’s underrated how much a pony can dramatically change a dude and Cyclops in AoA with the long hair is him at his sexiest.
Eugh - not a fan. I think the only X-males I like with ponytails are Shatterstar and Forge.

I always used to find it hilarious Gambit in TAS used to have a ponytail in civvies, but didn't need one when in costume.

Long-hair's a bit different if it's left open. I could definitely imagine Remy having longer hair, and I liked Bishop's X-treme look (I think it needs to be swept back rather than the mullet look of his debut, though I'm also happy with him with dreads or shaved off), and Magneto suits long hair (particularly as a villain). Thunderbird and Warpath make sense with long hair too.

I think Scott definitely should keep to short and sensible. That's why I also hate him with any sort of face fuzz at all.

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 25 Jan 2023, 15:33

Colossus should never shave off the beard. The rest will never look as good as he does.

Can’t believe you all forgot Cypher’s brief stint at growing a beard…
BC856EBA-5409-4A17-A111-3456869A91B7.jpeg
BC856EBA-5409-4A17-A111-3456869A91B7.jpeg (144.29 KiB) Viewed 90 times
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

grief

Post by grief » 25 Jan 2023, 19:18

Gremlin wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 15:33
Colossus should never shave off the beard. The rest will never look as good as he does.

Can’t believe you all forgot Cypher’s brief stint at growing a beard…
BC856EBA-5409-4A17-A111-3456869A91B7.jpeg
In our defense, no one tries to remember the Hunt for Wolverine mini-series.