Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Quiet Council

Level 10: In this section, people will argue about all x-related topics, such as certain character ages, continuity or the nature of the Phoenix. Newbies beware!
clayford

Quiet Council

Post by clayford » 13 Jan 2022, 03:14

I've been thinking about starting this thread for a while, and with with Immortal X-Men on the horizon I figured now was as good a time as any. Basically, I want this to be a place where people can give their thoughts on current and former members of the QC, and also talk about people who should be on the council.

Magneto - Based off Genosha alone, he's probably the most qualified person to be on the council.
Emma - The teacher Xavier never was, she and Scott were heads of the institute when it was at its largest and most successful. Throw in Frost Industries, the Hellfire Club, and the Massachusetts Academy, and this is someone who is very much a leader.
Storm - Goddess, field leader, queen. Ororo brings skill, experience, and connections to the table.
Mystique - Let's not forget that Raven Darkholme was a high ranking official in the US Department of Defense.
Colossus - Why? It's not just that he's never been a leader, he's never even been much of a thinker.
Callisto - It baffles me that she's not on the council. Pre-Krakoa, the Morlocks were the largest mutant group outside of Genosha.
Cyclops - Remember Utopia? Scott led more mutants than Xavier ever did.
Nightcrawler - Pre-Way of X, he made almost as little sense to me as Colossus does now.
Formerly on here as Cly, but forgot my password...and which email address was associated with the account...

Spectral Knight

Re: Quiet Council

Post by Spectral Knight » 13 Jan 2022, 07:14

I'd suggest Banshee over Nightcrawler or Colossus myself. Mainly because I want to see Sean's reaction to Moira, but beyond that, he's been a teacher to the next generation of mutants but he's also lived a life which wasn't dependent on being a mutant in his time as an Interpol agent. Also, because he was that much older than most of his fellow X-Men he doesn't really see Xavier as the teacher / father figure that others do so he can be much more independent and less easily swayed. Plus he's always had an interesting dynamic with Emma, and Mystique would not be on his good side either given the X-Corps betrayals.

I don't really know what Exodus is doing on the Council. He feels like he's just occupying a spot. I'd have suggested instead Callisto for her leadership of the Morlocks and representing a different mutant experience - that of isolation and exclusion from human society. Plus it'd be a great point of conflict against Sinster on the Council.

The "seasonal" groupings can be pretty much forgotten in my mind.

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 13 Jan 2022, 09:51

Magneto will leave the QC in the first issue of Immortal X-men. Lets also discuss here who should replace him.

That person will also be informed and be fitted save to know about the Moira business. Which (senior) mutant could sit best next to Charles and Destiny?
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

Usernamenotimportant

Post by Usernamenotimportant » 13 Jan 2022, 13:15

Spectral Knight wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 07:14
I'd suggest Banshee over Nightcrawler or Colossus myself. Mainly because I want to see Sean's reaction to Moira, but beyond that, he's been a teacher to the next generation of mutants but he's also lived a life which wasn't dependent on being a mutant in his time as an Interpol agent. Also, because he was that much older than most of his fellow X-Men he doesn't really see Xavier as the teacher / father figure that others do so he can be much more independent and less easily swayed. Plus he's always had an interesting dynamic with Emma, and Mystique would not be on his good side either given the X-Corps betrayals.

I don't really know what Exodus is doing on the Council. He feels like he's just occupying a spot. I'd have suggested instead Callisto for her leadership of the Morlocks and representing a different mutant experience - that of isolation and exclusion from human society. Plus it'd be a great point of conflict against Sinster on the Council.

The "seasonal" groupings can be pretty much forgotten in my mind.
Exodus has two requisites that Callisto can't match- a) Former leader of the Acolyes and b) Powerful enough he has a real shot at taking down the entire council single-handily if they come at him, which is indeed obviously the main reason he's there. But he's a good character and has been a good voice of reason, more than some of the X-men actually.

Banshee was really out of mutant affairs more often than not, so it would make no sense to put him on the council.

And the season groupings were pretty much gone when Kitty joined the Spring council, which really felt like a "I can't think of who I want there, so I'll just leave the spot open for whoever the other writers want" from Hickman.
Flapflop wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 09:51
Magneto will leave the QC in the first issue of Immortal X-men. Lets also discuss here who should replace him.

That person will also be informed and be fitted save to know about the Moira business. Which (senior) mutant could sit best next to Charles and Destiny?
The two people that really make the most sense were the ones Xavier already offered- Apocalypse, who's not in Krakoa, and Cyclops, who can't be because of the stupid Captain Krakoa non-sense.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 13 Jan 2022, 13:28

So, if it were me…

Spring Court:
KEEP: Shaw and Emma
LOSE: Kate. She’s meant to be there to keep Emma and Shaw honest and while I appreciate that in theory, in practice with her unable to use the gates and also based at sea as a pirate thing, I don’t see that she’s necessary. I’d replace her with Archangel. He fits the overall theme of money better and while it could have been him or Penance that took this seat after X-Corps, I’d rather see Warren here.

Summer Court:
KEEP: Storm and Kurt
LOSE: Colossus. Just why is he here to begin with? I’d replace him with Dani or (if he returned to Earth) Cannonball. They’re the all grown-up next generation of X-Men and it feels really redundant to have three “best friends” on the same court to me. Colossus feels too easily swayed to me for some reason, and he’s never been a leader. Dani or Sam fit better (outside bet as MAYBE Prodigy or Northstar)

AUTUMN COURT:

Keep. All of them. Destiny is a great foil for Erik and Charles.

WINTER COURT:
KEEP: Sinister for his genetic background and integral role in the resurrection protocols
REPLACE: Mystique with Mastermind and Exodus with Selene. I really don’t feel like Mystique is necessary now that Destiny (due to her powers able to outplay the rest of her court entirely on her own), and Selene just… well, she just seems to fit a council role better than Exodus to me.

CAPTAINS:
Great Captain: bump Bishop up to this role
Captains: Psylocke, Magik, Exodus, Logan.

Council adjuncts: Sage, Cypher/Krakoa, Trinary
Sinister’s Lab now secretly altering other player’s posts in the RPG section

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 13 Jan 2022, 16:46

If we're talking Captains - why the hell wouldn't you pick Cable as a captain. He's like Mr freaking Military at "getting shit done".

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 13 Jan 2022, 17:15

Spectral Knight wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 16:46
If we're talking Captains - why the hell wouldn't you pick Cable as a captain. He's like Mr freaking Military at "getting shit done".
Because I question his commitment to Sparkle Motion the time line and we might end up with Kable back and please lord no

Genuinely the only reason why he didn’t make my cut

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 13 Jan 2022, 17:18

Do you know what I say to the time-line? Get tae feck.

Holland Oates

Post by Holland Oates » 13 Jan 2022, 17:36

Gamesmaster should be invited

Cable

Post by Cable » 13 Jan 2022, 17:41

In theory (meaning disregarding the current storyline with his brother and manipulation), I think Colossus is an underrated pick as a strong conscience for the Council.
Best Comics of Week 18

X-titles: Marauders #2 by Steve Orlando (1) and Eleonora Carlini (1)
Non-X titles: Ben Reilly Spider-Man #4 by J.M. DeMatteis (1) and David Baldeon (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic this year

clayford

Post by clayford » 14 Jan 2022, 00:18

Now I'm starting to question what the Council does/what skills are needed to be a Council member. Do we need someone (multiple someones) to be the conscience? We have Shaw and Emma who can make decisions regarding trade and commerce with the human nations, and I like the idea of replacing Kate with Warren so that the entire spring court can do so. Do we need people who can make decisions/have conversations regarding defense/intelligence/military? If so, I think that's why Mystique can bring to the table that Destiny can't. Like I said in my initial post, Raven was a high level Pentagon official for who knows how long before Freedom Force. This might be an area that Interpol veteran Banshee can bring something to the table, or Canadian military veteran Wolverine.
Formerly on here as Cly, but forgot my password...and which email address was associated with the account...

Usernamenotimportant

Post by Usernamenotimportant » 14 Jan 2022, 00:44

Mystique was there because Xavier and Magneto were stringing her along, and they wanted to appease her.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 14 Jan 2022, 09:12

Cable wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 17:41
In theory (meaning disregarding the current storyline with his brother and manipulation), I think Colossus is an underrated pick as a strong conscience for the Council.
I would agree if it weren’t for the head-fuckery occurring (is it? Is it not? Is this another dropped plot beat?) in X-Snores.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 14 Jan 2022, 10:42

It still is.
I really wanna blow your mind
but I haven't got the time.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 14 Jan 2022, 23:00

I think some of you want the council to be picked by who is most qualified, when the whole thing is very obviously political. And everyone knows politicians are very rarely the most qualified.
Defenders Draft: Hulk | Scarlet Witch |Colossus | Valkyrie | She-Hulk | Iron Fist |
The Villain: Xemnu

Holland Oates

Post by Holland Oates » 15 Jan 2022, 15:25

I personally chose Gamesmaster to cause conflict. Like Sinister, he gets bored easily and purposely contributes to chaos.

clayford

Post by clayford » 25 Jan 2022, 22:26

I just finished listening to the Cerebro Podcast episode on Callisto which (in my opinion) strongly makes the case that she is just as much a key mutant leader as Magneto and Xavier. That leads me to two things I want to say here:
1. It's a shame that the three most successful mutant leaders in recent history, Callisto (Morlocks), Magneto (Genosha), and Cyclops (Utopia) are not on the Quiet Council.
2. It's a shame that there is no Morlock representation on the Quiet Council, even though they and Genosha are arguably the two most successful post-Arrako, pre-Krakoa mustant societies.