Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Level 10: In this section, people will argue about all x-related topics, such as certain character ages, continuity or the nature of the Phoenix. Newbies beware!
Crutey Anth

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by Crutey Anth » 18 May 2021, 10:41

Autism and all the other stuff:

1) I'm going to name a no-prize please and suggest that either a) David has autism...which made the trauma of his father's death even more damaging (autistic people often having issues with anxiety, issues with identifying and 'feeling' their own emotions and lots of comorbid disorders), to him and led to his DID OR b) he got DID and this being the wonderful world of comics some of his personalities have Schizophrenia and some have autism...thus making all cannon descriptiions of him accurate

2) In reference to Little Bro etc I reiterate what others have said you can't 'get' autism from life trauma...but traumatic and stressful life events can make the 'presentation' of autism traits more pronounced i.e. anxiety, emotional regulation etc....as ever there can be comorbidities i.e. the child having both autism and PTSD etc

On another topic:
I remember an issue (in the last 10 years I think) which showed a young mutant in Germany (possibly even Nightcrawler) being hounded by villagers with pitchforks, flaming torches....and they were dressed like they were from the late 1800s. I have no idea what the artist/writer was thinking of with that scene

Spectral Knight

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by Spectral Knight » 18 May 2021, 13:21

The pitchfork wielding rustic villagers has been part of Nightcrawler's origin since GSXM#1. There were axes, stakes and crucifixes in the crowd that Xavier saved him from (then a contemporary tale in the mid 70s!), whilst flashback to his birth on repeated occasions have shown the flaming torch brigade chasing after Mystique.

Cable

Post by Cable » 18 May 2021, 13:57

That is an extreme example but anachronisms in time are going to get worse for all characters due to the sliding timescale. As crazy as it sounds it is right now canon that the entire age of heroes from FF #1 takes place post-9/11!
Best Comics of Week 23

X-titles: X-Men #21 by Jonathan Hickman (1) and Russell Dauterman (1), Nick Dragotta (1), Sara Pichelli (1), Lucas Werneck (1)
Non-X titles: Squadron Savage by Ethan Sacks (1) and Luca Pizzari (1)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 18 May 2021, 14:14

But Cable that was 1970!!!! I’m not a German history expert but I don’t think the good people of that region dressed like that in the 1970s either lol

Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Cable

Post by Cable » 18 May 2021, 14:19

Right but as I said it will get worse. That story now isn't depicting 1970, it is depicting like 2005 lol
Best Comics of Week 23

X-titles: X-Men #21 by Jonathan Hickman (1) and Russell Dauterman (1), Nick Dragotta (1), Sara Pichelli (1), Lucas Werneck (1)

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 18 May 2021, 14:38

Blackcyclops wrote:
18 May 2021, 14:14
But Cable that was 1970!!!! I’m not a German history expert but I don’t think the good people of that region dressed like that in the 1970s either lol

'75 actually ;)

But yeah - one of the wealthiest states in mid 70s West Germany....it's not so much a retrospective anachronism as much as it is sloppy writing/artwork.

EDIT: I should add, Winzeldorf is not even in Bavaria. Seemingly, it's north of Hamburg, so that can be counted as a factual inaccuracy.

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 20 May 2021, 22:05

This was better explained in X-Men Animated series, the village is incredibly isolated and new next to nothing about Mutants or had access to the outside world. Think of places cut of from the rest of a country either due to remoteness or Geography.

Cable seriously? Franklin and Valerie Richards are young teenagers and been around pre 911 so that makes no sense. Sliding timescale you could however also make the case that actually the Marvel Universe is set in an alternate timeline where historical events didn't happen or occured at different intervals.

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 21 May 2021, 03:11

The sliding timescale sneaks up on you sometimes. Hearing Ms. Marvel call the Avengers out-of-touch millennials in this week's Champions actually made me pause.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 21 May 2021, 03:19

Monolith wrote:
21 May 2021, 03:11
The sliding timescale sneaks up on you sometimes. Hearing Ms. Marvel call the Avengers out-of-touch millennials in this week's Champions actually made me pause.

Dude!!! I literally thought the same thing and almost posted about it in Limbo but didn’t even want to start a fuss lol
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 21 May 2021, 04:05

Professor X is a Gen Xer.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 21 May 2021, 09:47

In my view setting that the current Marvel Universe started in say 1985 with first the Avengers/X-men later on appearing this made more sense to me. We can claim most of the heroes at this time were say 15-18 years old so plenty of time to fight crime, grow up and have life changing events like, de-aging, body swapping and sometimes having offspring.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 21 May 2021, 13:28

EphemeristX wrote:
21 May 2021, 04:05
See becausr Xavier and Mags both have been de-aged at different points and been resurrected, they don’t have to be re-calibrated as much. Xavier could still be a Silent Generation (or was he a Boomer?) and yet still appear in his 50s because science!

Magneto was literally turned into a baby so bam! He got it…

It’s everybody else that gets moved around lol…but I appreciate I’ve lived long enough for Cyclops and me to become the samr generation. That makes me happy…

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 21 May 2021, 14:26

Blackcyclops wrote:
21 May 2021, 13:28
EphemeristX wrote:
See becausr Xavier and Mags both have been de-aged at different points and been resurrected, they don’t have to be re-calibrated as much. Xavier could still be a Silent Generation (or was he a Boomer?) and yet still appear in his 50s because science!

It’s everybody else that gets moved around lol…but I appreciate I’ve lived long enough for Cyclops and me to become the samr generation. That makes me happy…
Enjoy that happiness. In thirty years, he'll be outside of our gen and we'll be sad and old, and Rand Thoughts is just going to be us talking about hip replacements and why the youths annoy us.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 21 May 2021, 14:28

I look forward to it!!!

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 21 May 2021, 15:13

We're pretty much there.

Yeah, given Xavier's been in multiple cloned bodies over the years, and Magneto's de-age, we can pretty much ignore them for the purposes of the sliding timescale.

Wolverine won't matter either because of healing factor.

Are there any characters now whose origin is so specific in time and place that it's almost impossible to make it work in regards to sliding time-scales. For example, the specifically Soviet characters given the USSR has been defunct for over thirty years? Are they now pretty much resigned to 'Russian' instead. The first Titanium Man was specifically a Ukrainian Soviet though, I think. And if memory serves correct, there's a few characters who were Yugoslavian by birth, which could be one of about six different countries now.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 21 May 2021, 15:14

Blackcyclops wrote:
21 May 2021, 13:28
EphemeristX wrote:

He could, but at his inception, he was ten years out of active military service. That puts him 15 to 20 years older than his first class of charges. Whereas Magneto has an event that's hard to remove him from, all Xavier needs is a war to have been deployed during. There's always a new one of those.

ultimatekey

Post by ultimatekey » 21 May 2021, 15:30

Spectral Knight wrote:
21 May 2021, 15:13
We're pretty much there.

Yeah, given Xavier's been in multiple cloned bodies over the years, and Magneto's de-age, we can pretty much ignore them for the purposes of the sliding timescale.

Wolverine won't matter either because of healing factor.

Are there any characters now whose origin is so specific in time and place that it's almost impossible to make it work in regards to sliding time-scales. For example, the specifically Soviet characters given the USSR has been defunct for over thirty years? Are they now pretty much resigned to 'Russian' instead. The first Titanium Man was specifically a Ukrainian Soviet though, I think. And if memory serves correct, there's a few characters who were Yugoslavian by birth, which could be one of about six different countries now.
Magik and Collossus maybe, because they grew up during the time where Communism heavily ruled Russia and both of them are considered atheists.

Karma grew up during the Vietnam War and realistically speaking, she should be 65 years old now but she is drawn as a person in her late 20s/early 30s.

Cable

Post by Cable » 21 May 2021, 16:45

ultimatekey wrote:
21 May 2021, 15:30

Karma grew up during the Vietnam War and realistically speaking, she should be 65 years old now but she is drawn as a person in her late 20s/early 30s.
The Vietnam War played into Tony Stark's origin as well but that has already been retconned to actually refer to the country of Sin-Cong which is essentially the same except can have its civil wars later. The same could be done for Karma too.
Best Comics of Week 23

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 24 May 2021, 20:21

You could consider the main 616 universe to be completely different timeline from our world and that's for the best.

ultimatekey

Post by ultimatekey » 01 Jun 2021, 22:28

I just noticed something.

Both Legion and Blindfold are considered people with disabilities........

Legion has Schizophrenia and Multiple Personality Disorder

Blindfold is......blind, has no eyes......and has a form of Tourette's.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 06 Jun 2021, 23:54

EphemeristX wrote:
No. Just…no.
He/him/his

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 10 Jun 2021, 19:14

I’m not sure I’d say Blindfold has Tourette’s, it’s more a manifestation of her power— being clairvoyant/precognitive, she almost creates a conversation with herself in order to make sense of the information she’s processing— I always read her as more like River Tam from Firefly in that there’s often a disconnect between what she’s seeing in her visions and how to relay those to the people around her. Sure, there are instances where she’s been fairly straightforward (ie; the prelude to the New X-Men being taken to Limbo), but then there are instances like in Blinded by the Light where she makes more vague references (“what intervenes is jet inlaid in gold” to spur Elixir to heal her after ‘killing’ her), and are heavily reliant on contextual cues of what else is happening around her for people to make sense of.

Her speech patterns don’t fit with those of Tourette’s either— it’s not as though she intermittently swears or has what she’s saying directly interrupted by something else she’s saying, it’s merely her interpretation of her power.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 10 Jun 2021, 20:06

I'm almost positive it was revealed in X-Men Legacy that Blindfold's disjointed speech were a side effect of her powers. Or, rather, her brothers' and her powers interacting.

ultimatekey

Post by ultimatekey » 10 Jun 2021, 22:43

I remember during the reveal of her origin story, her brother "died" and stole his sister's powers and Blindfold was traumatized by the assault/attack and was left stuttering in the speech impediment she has shown in her portrayal over the years.

So, I guess it is a result of her brother stealing her powers thus messing up her mind due to a brutal psychic assault.

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » 15 Jun 2021, 13:38

Who was Blindfolds Brother? did we get to see him?

Do agree that Blindfold does seem more like River Tam from Firefly as she has to make sense of the precognitive information she receives like reading a document.

I don't think that the Marvel universe timeline is the same as ours but maybe similar and the dates could easily slide...

Note Magik was never fully raised in Communist Russia as she was in Limbo and only returned after Russia fell.