Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Level 10: In this section, people will argue about all x-related topics, such as certain character ages, continuity or the nature of the Phoenix. Newbies beware!
P-90
Posts: 446
Joined: 11 Jul 2014, 02:32

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by P-90 » 02 May 2021, 13:52

norwichchris wrote:
02 May 2021, 11:41
Well the Gods in the Marvel Universe are aliens/Enhanced humans where these Myths & legends are based. So it gives pretty much free reign to interpret them how they want. Hercules was supposed to have savagely beaten his wife/children to death but this was obviously not mentioned in the comics.
That has been mentioned in the comics, he even encountered his wife's spirit in Hades and she forgave him.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 4307
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by das_boot » 02 May 2021, 17:16

Spectral Knight wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 20:37
P-90 wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 19:05
There have been many occasions over the years where I've been irritated by how the speech of British characters is written in US comics. Given that I'd assume most writers either have some experience with British TV shows and movies or maybe even know some British people/writers themselves and yet still get it so wrong I'm not that surprised there's mistakes when writing about cultures that they have little to no first hand experience with (especially in the pre internet days)
Case in point, the Braddock twins are supposedly from... Essex. Yeah, I'm not convinced.

I must say I didn't mind Cornell's work on Wisdom and MI13 and I'll continue pleading for Gillen and McKelvie on an Excalibur title until the day I die (or they die, or Marvel just gives in) but yeah, most non-Brit writers end up producing an appalling interpretation of Britain.
Most do. I quite enjoyed that Howard referenced County Durham in Excalibur, and honestly, I don’t mind SOME of the attempts at British culture in comics, but then like... referring to Chamber as “a Yorkshire pudding” but then absolute London slang being written for him gets a bit annoying. I know it’s only small things to a non-Brit but I don’t think they would understand how offensive it is for a Yorkshireman to be compared to a Londoner 😂

The Scottish/Irish accents often bother me too, because unless you know the difference it’s difficult to see in text.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 21952
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by Blackcyclops » 02 May 2021, 18:47

das_boot wrote:
02 May 2021, 17:16
Spectral Knight wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 20:37
P-90 wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 19:05
There have been many occasions over the years where I've been irritated by how the speech of British characters is written in US comics. Given that I'd assume most writers either have some experience with British TV shows and movies or maybe even know some British people/writers themselves and yet still get it so wrong I'm not that surprised there's mistakes when writing about cultures that they have little to no first hand experience with (especially in the pre internet days)
Case in point, the Braddock twins are supposedly from... Essex. Yeah, I'm not convinced.

I must say I didn't mind Cornell's work on Wisdom and MI13 and I'll continue pleading for Gillen and McKelvie on an Excalibur title until the day I die (or they die, or Marvel just gives in) but yeah, most non-Brit writers end up producing an appalling interpretation of Britain.
Most do. I quite enjoyed that Howard referenced County Durham in Excalibur, and honestly, I don’t mind SOME of the attempts at British culture in comics, but then like... referring to Chamber as “a Yorkshire pudding” but then absolute London slang being written for him gets a bit annoying. I know it’s only small things to a non-Brit but I don’t think they would understand how offensive it is for a Yorkshireman to be compared to a Londoner 😂

The Scottish/Irish accents often bother me too, because unless you know the difference it’s difficult to see in text.
Sometimes it just makes more sense to not try for dialects or slang and just write everyone pretty uniformly…

I mean for the most part all American characters are usually written the same in terms of slang, dialect and syntax.

Then you have for someone like Banshee, Gambit and Siryn, I think, writers attempting to continue follow the precedent from the original writers for a character. Most writers it seems are trying to follow what Claremont set for characters like NC and Colossus as a form of continuity. I know I heard Mark Waid say that before when he writes characters.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 4307
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by das_boot » 03 May 2021, 01:12

Just remembered one as I’m re-reading the OG New Mutants—

“Tell me about the trauma that made him autistic”— Xavier to Gabrielle Haller. Like... I know that autism wasn’t as widely understood at the time of writing, and actually, I feel like Claremont wanted to bring it to the attention of readers, but yikes, that has NOT aged well. At all.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 2373
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by Spectral Knight » 03 May 2021, 01:24

das_boot wrote:
02 May 2021, 17:16
Spectral Knight wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 20:37
P-90 wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 19:05
There have been many occasions over the years where I've been irritated by how the speech of British characters is written in US comics. Given that I'd assume most writers either have some experience with British TV shows and movies or maybe even know some British people/writers themselves and yet still get it so wrong I'm not that surprised there's mistakes when writing about cultures that they have little to no first hand experience with (especially in the pre internet days)
Case in point, the Braddock twins are supposedly from... Essex. Yeah, I'm not convinced.

I must say I didn't mind Cornell's work on Wisdom and MI13 and I'll continue pleading for Gillen and McKelvie on an Excalibur title until the day I die (or they die, or Marvel just gives in) but yeah, most non-Brit writers end up producing an appalling interpretation of Britain.
Most do. I quite enjoyed that Howard referenced County Durham in Excalibur, and honestly, I don’t mind SOME of the attempts at British culture in comics, but then like... referring to Chamber as “a Yorkshire pudding” but then absolute London slang being written for him gets a bit annoying. I know it’s only small things to a non-Brit but I don’t think they would understand how offensive it is for a Yorkshireman to be compared to a Londoner 😂
I find the Brit (well mainly English) characters often don't have any differences in their dialect or vocabulary. Everyone feels very similar so you don't get any regional/class differentiators come through.

I mean I'm certain Jono was always meant to be from London but the slang he often used didn't feel like something a "young person" (with the floating timeline I've no idea how old he's supposed to be now) from London would say.

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 4307
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by das_boot » 03 May 2021, 07:22

Absolutely. He sounded more like Dot Cotton than say... um. One of the young characters in Eastenders 🤷‍♂️
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

User avatar
norwichchris
Posts: 721
Joined: 22 Dec 2019, 18:40

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by norwichchris » 03 May 2021, 08:54

das_boot wrote:
03 May 2021, 07:22
Absolutely. He sounded more like Dot Cotton than say... um. One of the young characters in Eastenders 🤷‍♂️
Eastenders Fan? I was many years ago.

What about Storm is Ororo Munroe, a common African/Egyptian? name?

Think honestly they have to be careful not to offend the audience ethnic/cultural background and also lack of knowledge. Therefore would expect some of the characters to not be as authentic as they may have been.

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 2373
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by Spectral Knight » 03 May 2021, 10:01

Remember Storm's dad was an American so Munroe as a Scots-Irish name coming down the paternal line wouldn't be that unusual (there were lots of Scots-Irish settlers in NA, many of whom would have been involved in the slave trade).

I don't know if Ororo is a common Kenyan (not Egyptian)
Forename or not.

ultimatekey
Posts: 270
Joined: 04 Apr 2014, 08:37

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by ultimatekey » 03 May 2021, 13:12

Spectral Knight wrote:
03 May 2021, 10:01
Remember Storm's dad was an American so Munroe as a Scots-Irish name coming down the paternal line wouldn't be that unusual (there were lots of Scots-Irish settlers in NA, many of whom would have been involved in the slave trade).

I don't know if Ororo is a common Kenyan (not Egyptian)
Forename or not.
Ororo is a unique name from the fictional language of Storm's tribe. It means "beauty." Just like how Jamila means "beauty" in Arabic.
Last edited by ultimatekey on 03 May 2021, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

ultimatekey
Posts: 270
Joined: 04 Apr 2014, 08:37

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by ultimatekey » 03 May 2021, 13:15

das_boot wrote:
03 May 2021, 01:12
Just remembered one as I’m re-reading the OG New Mutants—

“Tell me about the trauma that made him autistic”— Xavier to Gabrielle Haller. Like... I know that autism wasn’t as widely understood at the time of writing, and actually, I feel like Claremont wanted to bring it to the attention of readers, but yikes, that has NOT aged well. At all.
What do you mean?

I know someone whose trauma has made him autistic and he gave a presentation about it.

Would you say Marvel has done a better job portraying autism with the the St. Croix Twins (M)?

Also, after Charles Xavier and the New Mutants went inside Legion's mind, he was cured of his autism.

Was that not a good concept to you?
Last edited by ultimatekey on 03 May 2021, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 21952
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 May 2021, 13:56

The thing is…it seemed like CC was conflating autism and a dissociative disorder (Multiple personality disorder).

And if he did mean actual autism (a spectrum phenomenon ), then someone could read that as a tad bit insensitive, if that’s a part of their identity that they see no issue with (there are many people with “high functioning” autism who legitimately see no issue with their state).
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 4307
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by das_boot » 03 May 2021, 17:11

ultimatekey wrote:
03 May 2021, 13:15
das_boot wrote:
03 May 2021, 01:12
Just remembered one as I’m re-reading the OG New Mutants—

“Tell me about the trauma that made him autistic”— Xavier to Gabrielle Haller. Like... I know that autism wasn’t as widely understood at the time of writing, and actually, I feel like Claremont wanted to bring it to the attention of readers, but yikes, that has NOT aged well. At all.
What do you mean?

I know someone whose trauma has made him autistic and he gave a presentation about it.

Would you say Marvel has done a better job portraying autism with the the St. Croix Twins (M)?

Also, after Charles Xavier and the New Mutants went inside Legion's mind, he was cured of his autism.

Was that not a good concept to you?
I mean, come through with the aggression...

I’m not saying that trauma can’t exacerbate pre-existing autism that might have otherwise gone undiagnosed, but autism exists on a spectrum. “Caused” by trauma theories have been discredited since the 1970’s and beyond, as far as I’m aware (notably the “refrigerator parent” studies). Trauma exacerbating a pre-existing situation is more likely in Legion’s case. I can’t speak for your friend or his presentation, just the neuropsychology that I know.

No, I don’t think the M-Twins have been a particularly great representation of autism either, but marginally better given the better understanding of it in the mid-90’s than the early 80’s.

I think it’s awful that they “cured” his autism, certainly when we look at what we know about ASD nearly 40 years later and that it isn’t something that can be cured because it isn’t an illness or disease. There were also several instances where Claremont seems to confuse Schizophrenia with Autism and not all schizo-active disorders can be “cured” either.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 2373
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by Spectral Knight » 03 May 2021, 18:14

Is Legion actually schizophrenic? I know he's got MPD but they are separate conditions right?

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 21952
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 May 2021, 18:27

Spectral Knight wrote:
03 May 2021, 18:14
Is Legion actually schizophrenic? I know he's got MPD but they are separate conditions right?
Well MPD (it’s actually called dissociative identity disorder now) is a separate condition and one that the literature goes back and forth on what it actually is…

Claremont did used to say that Legion was schizophrenic but that moreso seemed like his layperson understanding of DID.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

ultimatekey
Posts: 270
Joined: 04 Apr 2014, 08:37

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by ultimatekey » 03 May 2021, 19:05

das_boot wrote:
03 May 2021, 17:11
ultimatekey wrote:
03 May 2021, 13:15
das_boot wrote:
03 May 2021, 01:12
Just remembered one as I’m re-reading the OG New Mutants—

“Tell me about the trauma that made him autistic”— Xavier to Gabrielle Haller. Like... I know that autism wasn’t as widely understood at the time of writing, and actually, I feel like Claremont wanted to bring it to the attention of readers, but yikes, that has NOT aged well. At all.
What do you mean?

I know someone whose trauma has made him autistic and he gave a presentation about it.

Would you say Marvel has done a better job portraying autism with the the St. Croix Twins (M)?

Also, after Charles Xavier and the New Mutants went inside Legion's mind, he was cured of his autism.

Was that not a good concept to you?
I mean, come through with the aggression...

I’m not saying that trauma can’t exacerbate pre-existing autism that might have otherwise gone undiagnosed, but autism exists on a spectrum. “Caused” by trauma theories have been discredited since the 1970’s and beyond, as far as I’m aware (notably the “refrigerator parent” studies). Trauma exacerbating a pre-existing situation is more likely in Legion’s case. I can’t speak for your friend or his presentation, just the neuropsychology that I know.

No, I don’t think the M-Twins have been a particularly great representation of autism either, but marginally better given the better understanding of it in the mid-90’s than the early 80’s.

I think it’s awful that they “cured” his autism, certainly when we look at what we know about ASD nearly 40 years later and that it isn’t something that can be cured because it isn’t an illness or disease. There were also several instances where Claremont seems to confuse Schizophrenia with Autism and not all schizo-active disorders can be “cured” either.
Thank you for explaining that......it shines a whole new light on certain things.

ultimatekey
Posts: 270
Joined: 04 Apr 2014, 08:37

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by ultimatekey » 03 May 2021, 19:14

Blackcyclops wrote:
03 May 2021, 18:27
Spectral Knight wrote:
03 May 2021, 18:14
Is Legion actually schizophrenic? I know he's got MPD but they are separate conditions right?
Well MPD (it’s actually called dissociative identity disorder now) is a separate condition and one that the literature goes back and forth on what it actually is…

Claremont did used to say that Legion was schizophrenic but that moreso seemed like his layperson understanding of DID.
Now that we are talking about it, has Legion ever displayed symptoms of Schizophrenia?

In his first and early appearances, I would say he did.

However, in his most recent appearances (X-Men:Legacy, solo series, and Uncanny X-Men), IMO, he did not display symptoms of Schizophrenia.

He has displayed symptoms of DID, which can be interpreted as him having multiple personalities in his head and him utilizing their powers whenever he takes on those personalities.

Perfect example when John Wayne took over his body in New Mutants vol. 3 and John Wayne was about to rape Dani Moonstar.

He was talking through Legion and his body but it was not David Haller himself speaking nor him thinking about malicious thoughts.

Also, the way John Wayne talked about Legion during that scene made it seem that Legion is a teenager or a young boy, when he is actually a full grown adult in his 20s.

He said something along the lines of "Let's teach the boy about the birds and the bees. It would be a good lesson for him."

Or maybe that was just a villainous way to predate his intent with Moonstar.

Maybe it's because Legion spent his most of his life catatonic and sometime later, he was banished to Limbo, and did not spend any time in the real, existing world.

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 4307
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by das_boot » 03 May 2021, 19:20

Spectral Knight wrote:
03 May 2021, 18:14
Is Legion actually schizophrenic? I know he's got MPD but they are separate conditions right?
I’ve literally just read those issues. Legion is described as;
-Autistic
-Schizophrenic
-Having multiple personality disorder

... but all are treated the same. In fact, there are cases where the first two are used almost interchangeably and it’s kind of jarring to anyone who knows anything about psychology/psychiatry to see it treated that way.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

ultimatekey
Posts: 270
Joined: 04 Apr 2014, 08:37

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by ultimatekey » 03 May 2021, 19:46

das_boot wrote:
03 May 2021, 19:20
Spectral Knight wrote:
03 May 2021, 18:14
Is Legion actually schizophrenic? I know he's got MPD but they are separate conditions right?
I’ve literally just read those issues. Legion is described as;
-Autistic
-Schizophrenic
-Having multiple personality disorder

... but all are treated the same. In fact, there are cases where the first two are used almost interchangeably and it’s kind of jarring to anyone who knows anything about psychology/psychiatry to see it treated that way.
So, in reality, Legion only has MPD (DID), correct?

He is not really autistic nor schizophrenic?

He does display erratic behavior, such as thinking of a plan to assassinate Magneto and when
Spoiler: show

It was heavily implied he r@ped his own mother. And he could possibly be his own father, if I read that correctly.
And when he made risky and careless plans in X-Men: Legacy.

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 21952
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 May 2021, 20:18

Well those aren’t symptoms of autism or necessarily schizophrenia…

It was explained in New Mutants, in a subtle way, that the Legion in that storyline was a particular personality and not necessarily the “regular” Legion
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 2373
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by Spectral Knight » 03 May 2021, 20:31

das_boot wrote:
03 May 2021, 19:20
Spectral Knight wrote:
03 May 2021, 18:14
Is Legion actually schizophrenic? I know he's got MPD but they are separate conditions right?
I’ve literally just read those issues. Legion is described as;
-Autistic
-Schizophrenic
-Having multiple personality disorder

... but all are treated the same. In fact, there are cases where the first two are used almost interchangeably and it’s kind of jarring to anyone who knows anything about psychology/psychiatry to see it treated that way.
I think you just have to chalk up Claremont from 30 odd years ago not really being au fait with psychiatric care / terminology and there probably wasn't as much readership awareness of such issues, in any case.

Even then I think Legion was one of the first "heroes" (how much he is a hero vs an anti-hero is up for debate I guess) to be shown to have any mental health conditions at all, so while it's very clumsy now I'm not sure what the perceptions / response was from the readers at the time.

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 4307
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by das_boot » 03 May 2021, 22:27

Spectral Knight wrote:
03 May 2021, 20:31
das_boot wrote:
03 May 2021, 19:20
Spectral Knight wrote:
03 May 2021, 18:14
Is Legion actually schizophrenic? I know he's got MPD but they are separate conditions right?
I’ve literally just read those issues. Legion is described as;
-Autistic
-Schizophrenic
-Having multiple personality disorder

... but all are treated the same. In fact, there are cases where the first two are used almost interchangeably and it’s kind of jarring to anyone who knows anything about psychology/psychiatry to see it treated that way.
I think you just have to chalk up Claremont from 30 odd years ago not really being au fait with psychiatric care / terminology and there probably wasn't as much readership awareness of such issues, in any case.

Even then I think Legion was one of the first "heroes" (how much he is a hero vs an anti-hero is up for debate I guess) to be shown to have any mental health conditions at all, so while it's very clumsy now I'm not sure what the perceptions / response was from the readers at the time.
Exactly that. And while it might not be a cultural/ethnic inaccuracy, it’s an inaccuracy that is STILL perpetuated in popular culture today.

Also in those same issues, the constant use of the phrase “the Arab” to describe Jemail really feels quite racist. I suppose while in and of itself not an inaccuracy, it’s certainly a good indicator of how the times have changed regarding language and race/racism.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 6453
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by tokenBG1009 » 03 May 2021, 22:33

I can understand the Schizophrenic/MPD (DID) being lumped together. I went most of my life believing incorrectly they were the same thing. Autism, on the other hand, doesn't seem to present any of the same behaviors so I'm kind of confused on how that one gets confused for anything. I'm also interested in the idea of someone developing autism later in life. I can see BC's standpoint of trauma having an impact on previously undiagnosed autism to make it more apparent though.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

User avatar
norwichchris
Posts: 721
Joined: 22 Dec 2019, 18:40

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by norwichchris » 04 May 2021, 11:48

But I always thought Legions multiple personalities were caused by a Traumatic event that unleashed his telepathic powers much like when Xavier was in Korea and could feel/hear the thoughts of all the soldiers being killed? as is the case with Legion he developed severe mental health issues like autism and schizophrenia as a result of this trauma.

A good example would be the Legion Quest storyline

Also in the Punisher there is a character called the Russian who appears in the film also.

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 21952
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 May 2021, 12:59

What does the Russian have to do with…nevermind.

First of all, let’s tamp down on the language. Calling autism a “severe mental health issue” is incredibly small-minded and offensive. Yes, there are some people who’s social and emotional functioning is severely impaired because of where they are on the spectrum but most people function relatively normally (* say relatively because even I’m not sure what “normal” is).

Secondly, as I best recall Legion’s powers manifested because of a trauma. But him have DID wasn’t a result of the trauma. His powers are linked to his DID though. With him subconsciously manifesting his different power sets as personalities, when in reality it is all the function of Legion’s reality warping. We see this when he utilized his “true” power to kill the Elder Gods and in the rnd of X-Men Legacy.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 2373
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Historical/Factual Inaccuracies of Certain Character's Ethnic/Cultural Backgrounds

Post by Spectral Knight » 04 May 2021, 13:57

To be fair to Norwichchris, I think David's conditions (whatever they actually are given the conflict of on panel diagnosis vs on panel symptoms) are so significant as to their effect on his wellbeing to be termed as "severe mental health conditions". The poor kid hasn't been well for a long, long part of his history in comics.

I don't disagree that autism as a condition isn't in itself severe mind, just that Legion as a character had serious challenges. I mean schizophrenia is much the same, if you are somewhat lucky and you have appropriate care, you can go through life without it having a huge impact (two my dad's cousins were both diagnosed as schizophrenic, one of whom you wouldn't know she had any mental health condition at all as she had good treatment and support, the other was more obviously affected).

Post Reply