Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Power Combinations / Unintended Effects

Level 10: In this section, people will argue about all x-related topics, such as certain character ages, continuity or the nature of the Phoenix. Newbies beware!
Spectral Knight

Power Combinations / Unintended Effects

Post by Spectral Knight » 12 Jan 2021, 20:14

I've been re-reading some old threads on X-Pressions and a thought came to mind about how certain combinations of powers may lead to...interesting and/or universe breaking effects, similar to the way you could use Fusion powers in the Ultimate Alliance games...and I wondered what clever pairings' power combos could be useful / fun / horrific.

Rachel and Moira
This was the first one - if Moira' entire 10 life history is a single consciousness, can Rachel use her chrono skimming powers to send her back through lifes 1/2/..9?

Rogue and Moira
If Rogue absorbed the memories and powers of Moira, and then get killed would reality reset for the first time (for Rogue) or would she "carry over" the lives of Moira X.

Could Washout control the physical form of Iceman? Would it turn into a battle of the wills?

If a reality warper (any) physically separates every hydrogen molecule pairing from every oxygen molecule of Iceman's ice form, what happens to Iceman's consciousness?

Jesse James II

Re: Power Combinations / Unintended Effects

Post by Jesse James II » 12 Jan 2021, 22:39

Spectral Knight wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 20:14
Rogue and Moira
If Rogue absorbed the memories and powers of Moira, and then get killed would reality reset for the first time (for Rogue) or would she "carry over" the lives of Moira X.
And if she would reset reality wouldn't that interfere with the whole ten (or eleven) lives of Moira?

If we take the same scenario but replace Rogue by Mimic (exiles version), would he only be able to reset reality five times? Since he can only copy half of the potential?

Same goes for Hope? Would she be able to max out Moira's reset ability and live forever on?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Jan 2021, 22:46

Well you’re talking about two separate things SK..s

The power combination thing (like mutants combining attacks like Siryn and Dazzler) aka mutant technology is a huge part of SWORD right now. What you’re asking about though is more like almost power usage, compensation problems.

The last one I believe, based on evidence with other mutants/characters with similar abilities, Iceman would actually die.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 12 Jan 2021, 22:52

Ahh, it's only because I'm a natural pessimist that I've fought on potentially problematic outcomes lol, though certainly feel free to add in combat useful power combos too, such as Dazzler + Siryn mentioned

One I was thinking of was a TK launched fast ball special? Maybe best suited when Psylocke had the whole power not precision thing, launching Logan at an enemy at full speed might be pretty fun!

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 13 Jan 2021, 09:03

Or an alternative fastball special with Magneto/Polaris using Colossus, Husk, Mercury etc as projectiles.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 13 Jan 2021, 09:14

That sounds pretty cool. I wouldn't want to be on the other end of the flight path of a 7'5, 500lb man being flung through the air. '

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 13 Jan 2021, 11:15

Also, for an aerial bombardment, have someone like Blink or Magik open several portals that open up in mid-air. Have the likes of Boom-Boom, Jubilee, Gambit, Thunderbird III literally just fling projectiles into the open portals in front of them, projectiles pour in from above. EXPLOSIONS.

Also, if you were ever in need of someone insanely strong to pack more of a punch, you could always team up someone like Frenzy with someone like Sway, Tempo or Tempus: similar to the way Kiden Nixon or your average speedster can add more power to their strikes by simply moving faster, have one of the time-dilating mutants make the strong mutant move at a faster speed to increase the force behind their already ridiculously strong blows.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 13 Jan 2021, 12:27

Teleporting projectiles is another great battle strategy! Would Cyclops's optic blast's work through such a portal? If so, portals could be a useful beam 'splitter'.

If Mimic mimics Dead Girl, does he actually die?

Given that Sage can 'read' genetic code, is she aware Moira's a mutant?

If Wither attacked Darwin, would Darwin simply become inoganic?

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 13 Jan 2021, 12:51

So, for Mimic— I think he’d have to die for her power to kick in. After all, she was unaware she was a mutant until she was murdered and came back to life.

Edit: teleporting Cyclop’s blasts... I think you’d need a telepath on hand to bridge the gap between Cyclops and the portal-opening mutants, so they could, between them, work out the physics/trig involved in angling his shots through portals.

Wither vs Darwin, I assume that’s what would happen, although I’d be interested to see what would happen between Wither and Indra, as I’m pretty sure his armour was supposed to be organic, wasn’t it?

Sage/Moira, I see two possibilities here: Moira has never handed over an undoctored sample of her genetics to anyone other than Xavier and had some way of baffling Sage’s ability... or... Sage was trained as a spy, and this is one of the secrets she agreed to keep.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 13 Jan 2021, 14:13

So Mimic dies, he's resurrected as Dead-Mimic, but the powers wears off after x amount of time. Does he stay dead... :?

All of the power profiles that depend on another power /mutant to be effective (Rogue / Mimic / Synch / Hope etc.) could have some very odd outcomes...particularly somebody like Rogue who can take on multiple powersets at the same time - imagine a Madrox / Moira combo - where 'her' dupes kept resetting reality.

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 13 Jan 2021, 14:50

Spectral Knight wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 12:27
Teleporting projectiles is another great battle strategy! Would Cyclops's optic blast's work through such a portal? If so, portals could be a useful beam 'splitter'.
I guess Hickman answered that question (though I think it's a bit of a stretch)

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 14 Jan 2021, 11:57

Also just a thought— but if Ruckus can increase the volume of sounds he’s heard, couldn’t he potentially be exposed to Siryn and Banshee’s most powerful scream and then amplify it again?

Blackbolt who?