Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

What brought you back?

Level 10: In this section, people will argue about all x-related topics, such as certain character ages, continuity or the nature of the Phoenix. Newbies beware!
Tessa1984

What brought you back?

Post by Tessa1984 » 30 Jul 2020, 22:17

Sorry if this has a thread already, but I'm not seeing one...

I gather it's common for people to quit reading comics and return at later points. I have done so a few times and thought I'd ask what comics, etc. brought you back into the fold? What drove you away in the first place?

The first time I stopped reading comics was quite early and didn't last long. I got into comics with X-MEN vol. 2 along with many of those my age who fell in love with TAS. I started reading in 1993, in the 3rd grade. After the Phalanx Covenant, about to enter the 5th grade, I decided I was too old for comics and stopped reading. My friends did too. But I came back shortly.

Oddly, this meant I missed AOA. I also missed GENERATION X, which I'd been looking forward to.

In the 6th grade I became friends with someone who was into comics and what did I immediately want to start reading? GENERATION X. Back in 1993-1994 (they'd teased this series for sooooo long), I couldn't wait to be part of a new X-series from the get go and to get to know this next generation of mutants. By the time I joined up in 1996, Bachalo was on a break but I was hooked (btw does anyone know where I can read #12-25? Haven't read those in years. I even had a letter printed in #25 lol). The series ran out of steam before Bachalo left IMO and Lobdell's storytelling left a lot to be desired (wtf did he plan on doing with Mondo?!). But man did I love that series for a while. GENERATION NEXT included obviously.

Spectral Knight

Re: What brought you back?

Post by Spectral Knight » 31 Jul 2020, 02:12

Only a short 18 month gap or so for me.

I used to read the monthly issues of the UK reprints, starting irregularly with Exploits of Spider-Man in the early 90s, and then starting reading monthly with issues 1 of the Panini "Colllectors Edition" titles: Astonishing Spider-Man and Essential X-Men (followed by Wolverine Unleashed, later Wolverine and Gambit, then Wolverine and Deadpool, and the Avengers title too, but I didn't jump on this until a year or so in) in 1995, at which point they were 2 or 3 years behind the US (I think they caught up slightly since then, with 3 to 4 single issues per monthly mag. I supplemented these with odd single US issues when dropping into my LCS, primarily for trading cards or games, and the odd graphic novel here or there. I continue this up until 2003 probably when I went to uni, living in halls for the first year, as I didn't have the room/cash to keep this up. It was also a pretty rough time, being in the Revolution era of CC's return which probably didn't help my personal commitment.

When I moved out of halls and back home for my 2nd year, I had a lot more cash to hand, aided with working with my dad on odd Saturdays, and I used to idly go shopping at the local centre on the way back home from classes. Wandering the book shop I found Universe X on the shelf in the graphic novel section and the Alex Ross art on the cover and the dystopian blurb played to my sensibilities so I picked it up. Then a few weeks later, Here Comes Tommorow... which pipped my interest in returning back to the main X-books, though it didn't make much sense as my debut Morrison arc until I'd caught up lol.
This started an irregular dive into picking up trades rather than mags which continues to this day.

I would say that since moving out of my parents' gaffe, and the need to "adult" by paying for food and bills has meant my volume of spend has massively dropped off. From 2004 to about 2009, I was buying a LOT of trades. I had caught up with every Morrison arc, most of the Austen run, then started with following all three main X-books post Morrison (Whedon, CC, and Austen, later Milligan), Wolverine Origins plus the JMS run of Spider-Man, almost every HoM and Civil War tie-in trade, all of New Avengers, plus Mighty Avengers right through to Siege probably, and dipping into parts of Cap and Iron Man too.

2009 and the joys of renting dropped this down a lot, and even more so when I moved in with my now fiancee. The second drop is more time than cash - less personal time being in a relationship and more time together binging on TVs and films has meant I'm not dedicating as my time as I was to comics. Still buying books, but in a bit of an irregular way, trying to keep up with the main event books, and since HoX, I'm going to make a conscious effort to follow some of the X-books more closely (I really dropped off on these from Schism) starting with the first trades of Hickman's X-Men and the latest Excalibur being on my to read pile.

... wow that was a longer than expected summary.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 31 Jul 2020, 03:02

I quit post HoM and was basically out until Bendis was brought to the X-Line. At that point I went back and read Gillen's run and the Messiah Trilogy. After Bendis was off the books I quit, briefly, until DoX. Now I read two books because DoX isn't for me.

Started Post Morrison -> Quit Post-HoM
Returned for Bendis -> Quit Post-Bendis
Returned for DoX -> ...pretty much quit already and COVID didn't help matters.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 31 Jul 2020, 03:06

I started in the last 1980s...I stopped reading the X-Men right before Revolutions (still read Marvel) and came back during Morrison and haven’t stopped since...

I’m probably the most consecutive reader on the forum except Monolith prolly lol
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 31 Jul 2020, 05:29

I also get the impression BC, that you read a tonne of titles too! Don't know how you have the time / cash to keep up, mate.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 31 Jul 2020, 06:57

I started reading when I was around 10, and actually never stopped. The only thing that did change is my level of enjoyment.
[PL_2.0]

MultipleMadrox

Post by MultipleMadrox » 31 Jul 2020, 07:39

I started a little before Apocalype: The Twelve when I was ironically also 12. Specifically, my first ever comic book was X-Men #93! After that, I read every X-book religiously until I finally got burnt out following Bendis' run. Came back for House of X/Powers of X and stuck around. I've been trying to find and read the couple years I missed during quarantine. Just finished IvX which was... something.

Oldmanlogan79

Post by Oldmanlogan79 » 31 Jul 2020, 10:48

I started reading XMen when I was 12 back in 1991, Ive read the 1980 annual with the XMen in INFERNO saving Nightcrwler and fell in love with the characters, I wanted everything...by 1996 I was 17 and I had all the Stan Lee and Claremont books, and in Spain The Age of Apocalypse was finishing, I bought a couple of comics after that but thought the art by Madureira was terrible, amerimanga was on fashion (I hated it, my favorites were Barry Windsor-Smith and John Buscema, nothing to do with that), colours changed too and the art by the Kuberts for example looked different for me, Image had Spawn or Savage Dragon with an art I really liked but I had no interest in the characters, Valiant started very well in 92 but by that time was dying for the first time.....1996-2000 I stopped (apart from buying SIN CITY and the manga OLD BOY..a book per year), but then I saw the second number of NEW X MEN by Morrison and Quitely, the one with Logans cover and yeahhhhh: BACK AGAIN!!!!! (with 21, Im 40 now)
Lee-Claremont-Morrison-Bendis-Hickman

P-90

Post by P-90 » 31 Jul 2020, 14:55

Honestly, I never really left despite my lack of enthusiasm as times, especially in the last ten or so years. I became aware of Marvel through the 90's cartoons, especially Spider-Man and the X-Men (which I was obsessed with), due to those shows I started buying the British reprint magazines in the early to mid 90's. The first actual comic books I bought were from the shop in the local train station (just prior to AOA, so 1993/94), it was only about ten books a month.
Luckily I had a few friends in secondary school who were also into Marvel, through them I found out about the actual comic shops in Brighton so once a month we would go by bus or train. That continued until I was about 20, my pull list ever expanding. For at least the last fifteen years I've sent an e-mail to the shop with my list and a family member will pick up my comics for me at the end of the month, it's been most (though not all) of the titles released by Marvel. It get's expensive at times, especially when, because of my obsessiveness I continue to buy books until they end even if I don't really enjoy them (because what if they become good after I stop :roll: :oops: )

The gap due to corona is probably the longest I've gone without comic books since the early 90's and definitely since 2000. For the last two months the comic shop has sent what they've had in to me in the mail, it's been about a half at most of what I would have normally bought but I'm still thankful to have them.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 31 Jul 2020, 15:07

I wonder how many readers were introduced by those British reprints... last time I looked they're still being published even now, some 15 years later...that's longer than most of the original series last ;)

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 31 Jul 2020, 15:29

I was introduced through by German reprints that were handed to me by a neighbor's kid that had "outgrown" them. It was German reprints of some of the earliest stories of the FF, the X-Men, the Hulk and the Avengers. I was hooked immediately, but the German Reprints deteriorated over time. They changed publishers and format more than once, and ever rarely for the better. Initially it was individual issues that were reprinted in the size of an actual comic book, later on, you had about 7-8 issues worth put into a so-called pocket-book, (page size about a third of an actual comic book page), and the translations - which already occaisonally lost some of the meaning - got shorter and shorter to fit and still be readable. It got so bad that I had no choice but to switch to originals, which I did in 1989 or 1990.

I guess translation issues are something you wouldn't have to face in a UK Reprint. :-)
[PL_2.0]

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 31 Jul 2020, 15:55

Spectral Knight wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 05:29
I also get the impression BC, that you read a tonne of titles too! Don't know how you have the time / cash to keep up, mate.
Well as a kid to encourage my reading habits EVERYbody bought me comics lol...each year my grandma would renew my Marvel subscription for a shit ton of titles and my granddad had a pull box for me at my LCBS.

In college I slowed down because I was broke but I knew the LCBS owner and so he gave me a pretty big discount because I would help him find rare sneakers and we worked together online.

Now as an adult-adult comic book is my real only hobby. And thanks to Christmas gifts (every year my grandparents give me gift cards equaling around 200-400 bucks that I specifically set aside for comics), I don’t actually really pay for comics out of my own pocket.

My enjoyment has peaked and valleyed with the x-line but I’ve always found comics I like...I’m also not a completionist so I Will drop a run if I don’t like it.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 31 Jul 2020, 15:56

I dunno, American English is a very different beast :lol: (I had to pre-warn one of my US colleagues today who're adapting one of our brochures to make sure they (in)correct all the incidences of 'colour', which for a company selling to interior designers is quite a lot...!)

There's essentially two phases of British reprints, the cheap original Mighty World of Marvel / 70s-80s (which I think were weekly), vs the early 90s onwards under Neary's leadership. As far as I'm aware Exploits of Spider-Man was the first that had much superior paper stock and printing, even above US standards at the time, and was around the same time Marvel were putting a bit of cash into Marvel UK with original series like Motormouth + Killpower + Deaths Head II. With the collapse of the comics market in the mid 90s, Panini took over the license in 1995 (this was the debut of the Collectors Line I mentioned) which is still the publisher, but the Marvel UK published Exploits set the standard for those titles in many ways.

Thinking back to those very early days and me becoming a reader - mainly focused on Spider-Man, that was an incredibly dark period for Peter. There was Harry's death, the reveal of Pete's "parents" as LMDs, the debut of Carnage, then Maximum Carnage, his breakdown, then the early phases of the Clone Saga. I would've been quite a young reader at the time too. Ben Reilly, once he was the principal Spider-Man around Onslaught was actually quite the relief from such morbidity.

P-90

Post by P-90 » 31 Jul 2020, 16:52

Spectral Knight wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 15:56
I dunno, American English is a very different beast :lol: (I had to pre-warn one of my US colleagues today who're adapting one of our brochures to make sure they (in)correct all the incidences of 'colour', which for a company selling to interior designers is quite a lot...!)

There's essentially two phases of British reprints, the cheap original Mighty World of Marvel / 70s-80s (which I think were weekly), vs the early 90s onwards under Neary's leadership. As far as I'm aware Exploits of Spider-Man was the first that had much superior paper stock and printing, even above US standards at the time, and was around the same time Marvel were putting a bit of cash into Marvel UK with original series like Motormouth + Killpower + Deaths Head II. With the collapse of the comics market in the mid 90s, Panini took over the license in 1995 (this was the debut of the Collectors Line I mentioned) which is still the publisher, but the Marvel UK published Exploits set the standard for those titles in many ways.

Thinking back to those very early days and me becoming a reader - mainly focused on Spider-Man, that was an incredibly dark period for Peter. There was Harry's death, the reveal of Pete's "parents" as LMDs, the debut of Carnage, then Maximum Carnage, his breakdown, then the early phases of the Clone Saga. I would've been quite a young reader at the time too. Ben Reilly, once he was the principal Spider-Man around Onslaught was actually quite the relief from such morbidity.
One of the first story lines I ever read from beginning to end was the reprint of Maximum Carnage. I remember the X-Men mag (that also featured badly drawn versions of the 90's cartoon stories) had bio's of X characters on the last few pages that could be cut out and kept, I really loved those because this was pre-internet days so it educated me on the history of the X comics.

I know that era of the industry gets a lot of stick but the 90's was when I was first began my obsession with Marvel comics so I still have a fondness for many of the stories and characters from that time.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 31 Jul 2020, 17:12

I read comics all the way through grade school and junior high school. They were mostly kids titles, but I got to sprinkle isome superheroes, including Power Pack, which is how I was introduced to the X-Men. In High School I switched to graphic novels and read all the big stuff people tell you to read like DKR and Watchmen. But then I had quite a bit of a gap where I wasn't reading anything from my late college years in the mid-90s until about the year 2000.

Really what got me back into reading comics was the first X-Men movie. While it was really good for its time, it wasn't so much the actual film that really led me back to comics to be honest. It just got me into the comic store. The truth is I was going through a major bout of depression at the time, having broken up with the only serious girlfriend I had ever had in my life, and my grad school studies were not going well. I spent 99% of my days inside, doing very little but watching tv and moping. Comics became my avenue for escaping that depression. First off, they gave me something to do to get out of the house. I would start going to the store every Wednesday to grab a few new titles even though I didn't have much money at the time. Then I started scouring libraries for more to read. Eventually, reading comics got me thinking about changing my career path, and trying to do something creative for my livelihood. I quit the grad school program I was in, moved back home with my folks for a year or so, got a job as a manager of a comic book store. Then worked to afford to go to a new university program for making video game art. I graduated, got a job, and have been doing that as my career for about 10 years now.

So you could really say getting back into comics changed my life.
X-Men Editorial 2: Wolverine | Shadowcat | Beast | Deadpool | Sabretooth | Puck | Pixie | Toad | Prodigy | Eques | Vange Whedon |Snowbird | Wolfsbane
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 01 Aug 2020, 01:08

I never stopped, but it's getting to the point where I might.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 01 Aug 2020, 11:14

My first issues were UXM #257, X-Factor #47, Classic X-Men #40, all in late 1989. I read mostly X-Men titles up until the end of Legion Quest in the spring of 1995. I graduated from high school that year, took a road trip that ended at a Grateful Dead concert, and decided that the girls in college would like me more if I spent money on tie-die t-shirts and pot. So I quit comics cold turkey. Packed them in boxes and put them in my folks’ attic when I left for college.

For the next ten years I didn’t read a single one. On the rare occasion the topic came up, I feigned complete ignorance of anything related to comics or superheroes.

In summer 2005 I moved to a new city where I knew very few people. I was single and working a retail job. I had time on my hands, but not much money, so I started spending a lot of time at the public library. They had a decent collection of trade paperbacks. I naturally picked up a few X-Men titles first, but they were generally pretty bad (AoA, Revolutions) or else so radically different from the X-Men I remembered that I couldn’t really get into them (Ultimate, New X-Men)

But I did stumble onto Strangers in Paradise, and was hooked. I spent the next year or so exploring indies, and reading trades at the library. I discovered Bendis’ Powers, and then Daredevil. Mack’s Kabuki. And then I came across We3 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely at the library.

By that time I had been going to the LCS and was buying trades and back issues from the dollar bin. I asked the owner about Morrison, and he pointed me back to New X-Men. The second time was the charm, and I was floored. I had to come to it thinking of it as it’s own thing, not as a continuation of Claremont’s classic run. This was someone else’s take on the X-Men, not the same, but quite excellent precisely because of how different it was. Quitely’s art took a little longer to grow on me, but at some point I was struck by how meticulously crafted it was.

I haven’t really gone back to reading comics like I did as a kid. I don’t collect them, and I’m not a completionist. I rarely buy them as new releases. Instead, I keep my ear to the ground for books that tell a complete story, and are well regarded. I’m not interested in the open-ended serial anymore. I want a beginning, middle and end. So I drop in on this or that series, and follow very few.
He/him/his

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 02 Aug 2020, 20:54

Spectral Knight wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 15:07
I wonder how many readers were introduced by those British reprints... last time I looked they're still being published even now, some 15 years later...that's longer than most of the original series last ;)
I was one who started reading X-Men through the imprints, I was familiar with TAS previously. First panini copy I got had UXM350 & 351 and random Mojo story reprinted. I didn't have any local comic book shop but when I would visit cities I'd pickup trades of the older comics like Mutant Masscre and Inferno and the big cheap black & white Essential volumes. I collected panini, until about the end of the Morrison/X-Treme run, then I began to collect trades instead. I stopped collecting after X-Men: Nation X (though I still picked up X-Factor and picked up the odd issue of X-Men also picked up some books from the library occassionally). Then I got back into it by getting Marvel Unlimited and read back on what I missed and that's where I am now, I don't buy any hard copies, I probably wouldn't have kept up with X-Men stuff if not for Unlimited.
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

norwichchris

Post by norwichchris » Yesterday, 20:55

I tend to come once every 3-5 years mostly nostalgia only to my shock discover everything has changed completely.

My very first comic was 1990s Essential X-Men and Wolverine unleashed. Then went ful throttle with Spiderman and hundreds of Graphic novel back issues. Knowadays tend to stick with digital before Graphic Novels. Think my first actual X-comic was Executioners song which was epic and had a fight on the moon at the end.

Going to see how it goes.