Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Age of X-man vs Uncanny X-men

Level 10: In this section, people will argue about all x-related topics, such as certain character ages, continuity or the nature of the Phoenix. Newbies beware!
Flapflop

Age of X-man vs Uncanny X-men

Post by Flapflop » 13 Mar 2019, 13:50

All Age of X-man titles at least have there #1 now and Uncanny X-men is three titles in the new status quo. Time to discuss the quality and what happens anyway overall in these titles.

I am on the brink of letting this Age of X-man go (and maybe wait til there is a omnibus with everything to catch up).

The quality of art, writing and whats happening in Uncanny so much better, that this whole alternate reality is nothing in comparison to it.

Uncanny is a real X-men title again, worthy of being one of the best runs in decades. Wasn't this exited for a next issue/storyline since around Grant Morrison, Joss Whedon and the whole Messiah Trilogy period.

Age of X-man so far is really a mix bag in art, story and whats happening. I liked the alpha issue, the Next Gen and Prisoner X. Marvelous was ok, but the other titles fell flat with me. X-tremists is the low point with bad, not to follow jokes (or better said things meant to be funny but aren't.)

This event also feels insignificant because we know it will end and they will join the normal reality again. There will probably be some stuff crossing over to the normal reality, but its more fun to speculate where Uncanny is heading and how the characters coming back from the Age of X-man will fit in there.

So let me know your thoughts and lets speculate on the future of the X-men-line here.
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

EphemeristX

Re: Age of X-man vs Uncanny X-men

Post by EphemeristX » 13 Mar 2019, 17:18

I mostly want AoXm to finish so we can move forward with what's happening in Uncanny.

Don't get me wrong, I think AoXm is an interesting thought exercise and I'm enjoying it, but I'm still impatiently wondering what will be brought back and what won't? Will heroic Blob return? Will Genesis maintain his connection to Apocalypse? Will the new characters come back with reality?
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

hotknives

Post by hotknives » 13 Mar 2019, 17:28

I'm preferring Uncanny overall, but I think Aoxm is fascinating - there's a real insidious darkness to this universe that I feel like the X-Men haven't covered in AU's before - and I am intrigued to see how things will progress. I also think a lot of things could potentially carry over to the main Universe
Spoiler: show
JeanxBishop, Heroic Blob? BlobxPsylocke, A new direction for Magneto? New characters with Unveil & Moneta?
, so for me I'm a bit divided - I think it's an interesting exercise that's being done well, but I also want to see my favourite characters back in the main line again
Uncanny Avengers Draft
1. Emma Frost
2. Wiccan
3. Magneto
4. Iron Fist
5. Dr Nemesis
6. Elixir
7. Ares
8.Mercury
9.Hellstorm

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 14 Mar 2019, 00:13

I want the characters in AoX to 'wake up' and realize what happened, but then continue to be stuck in their own universe. While the Uncanny team (along with the guys over in X-Force) are stuck are the sole X-Men remaining in the 616.

(It'll never happen but it'd be interesting)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Mar 2019, 00:22

Is that how everyone felt while reading AoA? Or has a mix of social media, comics media and solicits made us unable to live in the moment when reading comics?
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 14 Mar 2019, 06:45

hotknives wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 17:28
I'm preferring Uncanny overall, but I think Aoxm is fascinating - there's a real insidious darkness to this universe that I feel like the X-Men haven't covered in AU's before - and I am intrigued to see how things will progress. I also think a lot of things could potentially carry over to the main Universe
Spoiler: show
JeanxBishop, Heroic Blob? BlobxPsylocke, A new direction for Magneto? New characters with Unveil & Moneta?
, so for me I'm a bit divided - I think it's an interesting exercise that's being done well, but I also want to see my favourite characters back in the main line again
Outside of the last two, all of those sound absolutely dreadful.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 14 Mar 2019, 09:55

Blackcyclops wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 00:22
Is that how everyone felt while reading AoA? Or has a mix of social media, comics media and solicits made us unable to live in the moment when reading comics?
When AoA occured we didnt had social media, Marvel didnt spoil their own storylines with sollicits and sneak peaks in other media. For all we known the 616 Univers was over and AoA the new reality. There also wasn't a title that still went on in the normal reality. And the AoA had better artists and writers.

Now we have AoXm and Uncanny/X-force coexisting with an uneven balance in quality (Uncanny tis top notch, even X-force is better then some of AoXM). Whats happening in Uncanny and the character development/interaction so much more interesting.

AoXm is a nice experiment to revive the wide alternate reality AoA was, but we all know it wont last. Marvel already announced there will be 5 titles each with an Alpha and OImega as bookends and then it will revert back, probably in two or three new ongoings next to Uncanny.

Don't get me wrong, the idea/premisse of the AoXm (70's Brave New World, love is banned, histroy altered in a whim if someone is excommunicated) I liked in the beginning, but how they fold out the stories (in some titles) is out of balance in quality and direction (X-tremist baking paper 'joke' was the lowest point in X-history in a long time)

I think just one title with all the teams/characters that now have their own title running next to Uncanny would make it more interesting. Less baggage, filler pages and more story and direction.
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 14 Mar 2019, 13:32

It's hard to compare this to the Age of Apocalypse, although IMO not for the reasons mentioned above. It's true that social media weren't such a big issue back then, but there already were a few web communities (usenet) where people could interact, and while the AoA was sure made to look as if it had replaced the X-line for good in its earliest announcements, I didn't truly believe this to be the case for three reasons:
- the rest of the Marvel Universe was still intact, which made no sense as Xavier's death, Magneto forming the X-Men in his place and Apocalypse's early rise to power affected everyone.
- Generation X had just started and was only four issues in. Would they really have made such an effort to create a new team book, only to immediately change them ?
- The AoA pretty much starts with the aged Bishop confronting Magneto over this not being the right timeline and even though the X-Men weren't sure whether to trust Bishop, they came up with a plan to fix the timeline.

However, even though I knew it wouldn't last, I absolutely enjoyed the AoA and it was a totally different experience than Age of X-Man:

a) It was a naturally evolved timeline. Legion had accidentally changed a significant event in the past, and everything else was based on that. Part of the fun was to imagine how certain character's lives had been altered because they had not been found by Xavier, but instead been recruited by Magneto, and how they had grown to adopt different world views by not being part of a hidden and feared minority, but were raised during that wars of Apocalypse's rise to power and were now part of a ruling class. Most character changes in the AoA seem to have experience-based reasons behind them, but it was still the characters themselves who made certain decisions. Ages of X-Man however is just a huge realtity warp, with one sick mind forcing his views on everyone else, and the reason for any character change is "X-Man made it up".

b) Due to the nature of the universe, new characters in the AoA needed to be based on existing people, so you could assume that some would later be introduced in the main reality too. (and they were, like Damask or Vincente) In Ages of X-Men, characters like Moneta or Unveil are what - figments of Nate's Imagination? So, apperantly "not real".

c) The AoA adressed nearly every major X-Men character at the time. With the exclusion of Psylocke and Mimic every current and former member of the X-Men was either shown or referenced, and the majority of New Mutants, X-Force, X-Factor and Generation X's members were too. (excluding Aliens and time-travellers)The biggest name missing here probably being Boom-Boom. All in all though, it adressed nearly all mutants that had been following Xavier's dream in some way. Nowadays, with several more generations of mutants around (many of which have already been depowered, killed or sent to limbo), it's no longer possible to address each and every one of them, and in many cases people wouldn't even care, as some characters over the years were clearly meant to be generic background students.

d) The solution for the AoA was multi-layered, they needed a time traveller, a precog and a piece of the M'Kraan, and while some books focuses on the retrival of those, the others were holding Apocalypse's forces at bay, rescuing friends or focused on other factions outside of America. There was a clear and different purpose for each boook and the main groups all had a special task to perform in order to fix the timeline. While they atempt to give each book a different role or aspect in the Age of X-Man too, so far it just seems to be for the sake of it. It's definitely not linked to the solution here; for that people only need to "wake up" and to convince X-Man to undo what he did.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 14 Mar 2019, 13:40

Age of X-Man just feels bland to me. Like... even the BAD writers we’ve had over the last couple of decades or so (Guggenheim, Bendis, Austen to name a few) have had something there, even if that was a rallying point to universally hate it (Austen), being divisive amongst the fans (Bendis) or starting out with good ideas but never really following through (Guggenheim)— my point is there was something there that generated an emotive response, one way or another.

This is all just... it’s just very bland. I joked about X-Men Gold being X-Men Beige but this is really beige. It’s jhst... like, it’s there. There’s an interesting idea at the heart of the premise but the execution is just... ugh. It’s not okay. And I get it. I get that writers always love an alt-U, especially with the X-Men (AoA, DOFP, AoX, Ultimate X-Men until whatshisname took over) but they were all done well. This just feels really slapdash and kind of nonsensical. What, in Nate’s canon, would ever suggest that he wanted a world without close familial ties and love and relationships? His solo series post AoA was LITERALLY all about him becoming a Shaman to the world which he couldn’t do without deep and intrinsic links to his humanity. This is... just no. This just feels like an attempt to cash in on some kind of nostalgia for X-Men alternate universes.

Uncanny is a CLEAR change of direction for the X-books that, actually? Have been kind of rudderless over the last few years. Like, someone tell me, quickly, what was the direction of Gold? Where, precisely, does Red (as excellent as it was) fit into continuity? Other than putting the O5 against Magneto in the end, what did Blue actually achieve? Other than Red, it never really felt like the books had a mission statement— and that’s absolutely fine, if it’s only one book out of five in a franchise that’s just “having random adventures every week with a different cast of characters, yo”, but when it’s BOTH flagship titles? It’s a bit rudderless.

Okay, so Mutants are being born again, they’re not dying out, and Cyclops et al have come up with a totally false conclusion that all of the X-Men are dead and gone— his actions are more militant and revolutionary here than they felt in the ENTIRE Bendis run, and Scott and Logan’s actions are GOING to have consequences at the end of AoXman. For a start, this whole “striking from the shadows” thing totally blunts Jean’s MO of operating with total transparency and openness with the world. “Going after our enemies to stop them”, again, it doesn’t mesh with Jean’s message of compassion.

I genuinely feel like we’re going to have an ACTUAL important schism when Jean et al return. Scott’s team will 100% have a place in the world, but I just hope that they let Jean lead again, perhaps with support from storm and a few others. Have them be the “school” team, bring X-Force operating independently of both sides of the divide, and have Scott’s team be the “stopping threats” team.

At least that’s kind of how I feel it’s going...
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Mar 2019, 13:53

@Lavette: I know their were webcommunities, that wasn’t my point. I was asking that given how social media (and the other factors I pointed out) can push fans to always be looking far ahead and speculating, instead of enjoying the now, would that have affected how people took something like AoA. I remember moreso back then people were more concerned with what was gonna happen next issue, not next five months. I pointed out social media specifically because it fosters a need to “know it all now” and always moving forward mindset, not a stop and smell the roses frame of mind.

@Das: I like parts of your final idea Das, I just don’t think we need or will get a Schism (and frankly the last Schism I enjoyed and thought had merits) but I think they can operate together and I don’t think cyke is going back to militant dude. I do hope and think Jean will stay at the forefront though. And I think we can get Cyclops still staying in a capacity as he is now too...I just don’t know what form it will take.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 14 Mar 2019, 19:51

All I want is for Jean to not get back with Cyclops because it’s what writers think that the fans want. It’s not. Jean and Cyclops’ world views and opinions are so opposed nowadays that I can’t see it working.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Mar 2019, 19:56

das_boot wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 19:51
All I want is for Jean to not get back with Cyclops because it’s what writers think that the fans want. It’s not. Jean and Cyclops’ world views and opinions are so opposed nowadays that I can’t see it working.
Look who you’re talking to!

I’m Black-Cyclops and you’ve never seen me say I want them back together. You can say all you want but I blame Brndis for not making Cyclops mend the relationship between himself and Emma and bringing them back together. If Jean has to have a love interest there’s a plethora of dudes I’d rather her be with (let’s make it awkward and hook up BP and Jean lol)

My X-Men Draft Picks:

P-90

Post by P-90 » 14 Mar 2019, 20:16

das_boot wrote:
Fans: Logan and Jean are finally both alive and single :D
Writers: Quick, bring back Scott :evil:

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Mar 2019, 20:44

P-90 wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 20:16
das_boot wrote:

Bro I don’t think anybody really looking for that relationship either lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 14 Mar 2019, 21:15

Blackcyclops wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 19:56
das_boot wrote:

I’m Black-Cyclops and you’ve never seen me say I want them back together. You can say all you want but I blame Brndis for not making Cyclops mend the relationship between himself and Emma and bringing them back together. If Jean has to have a love interest there’s a plethora of dudes I’d rather her be with (let’s make it awkward and hook up BP and Jean lol)

OH. SNAP. NO. That would ACTUALLY be amazing. I’m down for a Black Phoenix pairing.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Mar 2019, 21:50

das_boot wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 21:15
Blackcyclops wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 19:56
das_boot wrote:

OH. SNAP. NO. That would ACTUALLY be amazing. I’m down for a Black Phoenix pairing.

I just don’t think Jean would break “girl code” with Storm.

But I think as they are written, their coupling would make alot of aense and would unite the two teams.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 14 Mar 2019, 22:01

You mean Black Panther or that actual Black Cyclops from X-Treme X-Men? He is more of a blond Dazzler guy. Both represent the 90s eurodance wave: black masculine rapper, and a white blond female singer.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Mar 2019, 23:06

T’Challa

My X-Men Draft Picks:

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 14 Mar 2019, 23:13

Zero chemistry between them. BP is such an introverted, mysterious character. With Jean and her telepathy, he would wear magneto‘s helmet 24/7.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 15 Mar 2019, 00:50

UrbanExplorer wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 23:13
Zero chemistry between them. BP is such an introverted, mysterious character. With Jean and her telepathy, he would wear magneto‘s helmet 24/7.
-Both know what it’s like to fight for a people/cause/country.
-Both are exceptionally well thought of by their teams
-Both are intelligent, compassionate and are incredibly principled.

No, I don’t think Jean would do that, but I think they could be a ridiculous power-couple.

Although I’d be far more interested in seeing Jean single for like... a long while. Let her rediscover herself

P-90

Post by P-90 » 15 Mar 2019, 01:36

Blackcyclops wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 20:44
P-90 wrote:
das_boot wrote:

Given the reams of fanfiction dedicated to the couple I'd have to respectfully disagree :)

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 15 Mar 2019, 07:18

das_boot wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 00:50
UrbanExplorer wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 23:13
-Both know what it’s like to fight for a people/cause/country.
-Both are exceptionally well thought of by their teams
-Both are intelligent, compassionate and are incredibly principled.

No, I don’t think Jean would do that, but I think they could be a ridiculous power-couple.

Although I’d be far more interested in seeing Jean single for like... a long while. Let her rediscover herself
Yup, two tops never work out.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 16 Mar 2019, 15:32

My biggest concern with Jean isn't her getting back with Cyclops, it's going to be her "finally" getting together wth Wolverine.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Mar 2019, 15:40

P-90 wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 01:36
Blackcyclops wrote:
P-90 wrote:

Given the reams of fanfiction dedicated to the couple I'd have to respectfully disagree :)
Well if we’re going off fanfic, then I’m here for team Cycloverine!!!!!!

@Xtreme: Same...again Logan and Storm had a serious relationship, I don’t see Jean breaking “girl code”.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 16 Mar 2019, 16:41

Blackcyclops wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 15:40
P-90 wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 01:36
Blackcyclops wrote:

Well if we’re going off fanfic, then I’m here for team Cycloverine!!!!!!

@Xtreme: Same...again Logan and Storm had a serious relationship, I don’t see Jean breaking “girl code”.
I do hope they pick up on Storm and Logan. I actually think they're a great couple; they feel like equals, there is a great of history and respect between them.