Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

The Best Run...UXN’s Definitive Best X-Runs!

Level 10: In this section, people will argue about all x-related topics, such as certain character ages, continuity or the nature of the Phoenix. Newbies beware!
Blackcyclops

The Best Run...UXN’s Definitive Best X-Runs!

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Jan 2019, 19:27

We have a general consensus about the greatness of Claremont’s OG run and I think for the main Uncanny X-Men and adjectiveless X-Men title, we have some broad agreement about what we consider the best runs on those books outside of CC. So I thought we could vote on the best runs in the peripherial books, you know the X-Factors of the world!

The basic premise is simple for the five categories (or books), you’ll arrange your 5 favorite runs in descending order (edit: Changed it, so it would be easier for people to choose since not everyone has read everything), with your favorite at #1 and so on...the first place run is awarded 10 points and so on. After a month, I’ll tally the scores and present the UXN definitive list of the 10 best runs for every category. My goal is to have it all finished for summer.

Now I know there’s going to be some confusion and complications about what counts for each category. So for each round, I’ll specify which books, volumes, etc count under the category of each respective title. I’ll also lay out what counts as a “run”, since that term is pretty vague as well.

And as an added bonus, each category will be “live” for 3 weeks. In that 3 week period you can change your vote as many times as you like and even attempt to get others to vote like you. So friendly debate is encouraged.

I’ll post all the details tonight but the first category belongs to the most EXTREME of the off-shoot books, X-Force. See you all tonight!
Last edited by Blackcyclops on 09 Jan 2019, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Cable

Re: The Best Run...UXN’s Definitive Best X-Runs!

Post by Cable » 07 Jan 2019, 19:47

Good idea although maybe do top 5 instead of top 10. I mean I don't know what definition you are using but generally it is a writer's time on a title (kind of biased but artists these days just change much more regularly so hard to track that way) and in that case have there even been ten runs on X-Force? lol
Best X-Comic last week: NextGen #5
Best non X-Comic last week: Daredevil #7

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 07 Jan 2019, 19:49

I’ll have to sit out X-Force, since I only read the first two dozen issues or so back in 1991, and never cared for even those.

X-Factor is going to be tough. How many “runs” are there?
—Layton
—Simonson
—A few Claremont issues
—David
—J.M.DeMattis
—Mackie
—David on v. 3
—David on v. 4

Maybe there were a few other short-lived runs? There was the 4-issue mini, but that was hardly an X-Factor book.

There aren’t even ten runs here.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 07 Jan 2019, 23:17

First off @Cable, stop doubting me bro!!!!
Second @NuD, I got some stuff up my sleeve, trust me I'll have 10 runs.

Third, for "runs" I defined them as at least 6 issues by a single (or group) of writers. In some instances I counted a pair of writers as one run and then counted the solo writer's run as something distinct. This was done only in cases where the absence of the other writer had a real impact on the quality/mood/themes of the book. As far as what counts as X-Force, I counted all X-Force and Uncanny X-Force titles. I also counted X-Force-like books like the most recent Weapon X.

So here's THE LIST:

Liefeld and Nicieza: The Beginning- X-Force vol.1 #1-12
Nicieza: "X-Force Refined"- X-Force vol.1 #13-43
Loeb: "The Sorta New Mutants Era"- X-Force vol.1 #44-61
Moore: "On the Road"- X-Force vol.1 #63-76 and 78-100
Ellis and Edginton: "Pete Wisdom's Black Ops"- X-Force vol.1 #102-115
Milligan: "NOT X-Force"- X-Force vol.1 #116-129
X-Statix: "Definitely Not X-Force"- X-Statix vol.1 #1-26
Liefeld and Nicieza: "the Mini-Series"- X-Force vol.2 #1-6
Kyle and Yost: "Cyclops' Black Ops"- X-Force vol.3 #1-28
Remender: "The Uncanny Team"- Uncanny X-Force vol.1 #1-35
Humphries: "Sorta Uncanny"- Uncanny X-Force vol.2 #1-17
Hopeless: "Quirky X-Force"- Cable and X-Force vol.1 #1-19
Spurrier: "Si's Bunch"- X-Force vol.4 #1-15
Pak: "Not X-Force X-Force"- Weapon X vol.3 #1-27

Now rank’em everybody!
Last edited by Blackcyclops on 08 Jan 2019, 19:07, edited 2 times in total.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

nathanadler

Post by nathanadler » 08 Jan 2019, 11:02

Deleted post
Last edited by nathanadler on 08 Jan 2019, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 08 Jan 2019, 12:13

Edit

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 08 Jan 2019, 21:58

Ok I'll try this, although X-Force type books are probably my least favourite and haven't read all of original run so hard to do 10 but here we go:

10. Liefeld and Nicieza: The Beginning- X-Force vol.1 #1-12
9. Nicieza: "X-Force Refined"- X-Force vol.1 #13-43
8. Moore: "On the Road"- X-Force vol.1 #63-76 and 78-100
7. Humphries: "Sorta Uncanny"- Uncanny X-Force vol.2 #1-17
6. Hopeless: "Quirky X-Force"- Cable and X-Force vol.1 #1-19
5. Spurrier: "Si's Bunch"- X-Force vol.4 #1-15
4. X-Statix: "Definitely Not X-Force"- X-Statix vol.1 #1-26
3. Remender: "The Uncanny Team"- Uncanny X-Force vol.1 #1-35
2. Kyle and Yost: "Cyclops' Black Ops"- X-Force vol.3 #1-28
1. Milligan: "NOT X-Force"- X-Force vol.1 #116-129
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 08 Jan 2019, 22:08

As I said, I’ve only read the first two runs here and don’t really like either. so I’ll have to sit out this round.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 Jan 2019, 00:10

1. Remender: "The Uncanny Team"- Uncanny X-Force vol.1 #1-35
2. Nicieza: "X-Force Refined"- X-Force vol.1 #13-43
3. Kyle and Yost: "Cyclops' Black Ops"- X-Force vol.3 #1-28
4. Loeb: "The Sorta New Mutants Era"- X-Force vol.1 #44-61
5. X-Statix: "Definitely Not X-Force"- X-Statix vol.1 #1-26

My X-Men Draft Picks:

grief

Post by grief » 09 Jan 2019, 02:54

5. Spurrier: "Si's Bunch"- X-Force vol.4 #1-15. A nice, small cast of characters who all had their narratives pushed forward by the author in unconventional ways facing very odd threats. Spurrier's run stands out to me as the conceptually weirdest in the most traditional sense, if that makes any sense. I think Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix is perhaps the conceptually weirdest, but I feel like Spurrier's leans more towards what we expect out of an x-book, much less an X-Force book. I liked Cable's desperation, I liked the twist on Hope's role, I liked Spurrier's story with Marrow - although he made her at least 60% more annoying - and he's one of the few authors who writes an entertaining Dr. Nemesis for me. I also dug him pulling in Forget-me-not, which was a surprise and a nice throwback to his X-Men: Legacy run.

4. Loeb: "The Sorta New Mutants Era"- X-Force vol.1 #44-61. Ah, when I started reading X-Force. That cover for 44, with Sam "leaving" the team, only for me to find out that he was GRADUATING INTO UNCANNY was amazing. Blew my 11 year old mind that could happen. As a fan of the "Sabretooth in the X-Mansion" plot, this era is critical to that story-line, and I love X-Force 50 as a standalone too. I also fell in love with Shatterstar as a mess of a character, and - while this run did NOTHING to help that - that mess is what pulled me into his character.

3. Kyle and Yost: "Cyclops' Black Ops"- X-Force vol.3 #1-28. The X-Force team that couldn't. What a strange, underpowered line-up. But what a great run! K+Y put their cast through hell in every way imaginable and made likable, compelling characters out of people like Elixir and the Vanisher. They also brought back my boy Archangel, so mad props there! While I personally think that Necrosha is a bit of a mess over all, I like them liking Selene, and I really liked their overall plan and general execution (PUN INTENDED) of their run.

2. Nicieza: "X-Force Refined"- X-Force vol.1 #13-43. When I think of "classic" X-Force, this is the era I think of. Cable is present, but no longer the gruff commander whose every order must be obeyed, but rather, is a mentor and a father figure. Sam comes into his own as a leader, while Nicieza brings a more adult sensibility to the cast. I also really dig Greg Capullo on artwork, although Tony Daniels does some good work just before the AoA hits.

1. Remender: "The Uncanny Team"- Uncanny X-Force vol.1 #1-35. My favorite single run because it really is a single run. Remender starts with a thesis (is killing the bad guys the best thing to do?) and spends the whole series exploring it, finally stating outright his conclusion in the final arc (pretty much NOPE). Every cast member gets time to shine and is well-written, Deadpool is actually tolerable in this run, and we get one of my favorite Machiavellian Sabretooth plots! If I have any complaints it's that weak-sauce interpretation of the Age of Apocalypse, but I get it, the 20th Anniversary mini crapped on it first. Archangel was so cool in this, and ultimately so threatening, that I almost don't care about the AoA.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

Cable

Post by Cable » 09 Jan 2019, 15:03

5. X-Statix: "Definitely Not X-Force"- X-Statix vol.1 #1-26
4. Nicieza: "X-Force Refined"- X-Force vol.1 #13-43
3. Remender: "The Uncanny Team"- Uncanny X-Force vol.1 #1-35
2. Spurrier: "Si's Bunch"- X-Force vol.4 #1-15
1. Kyle and Yost: "Cyclops' Black Ops"- X-Force vol.3 #1-28
Best X-Comic last week: NextGen #5
Best non X-Comic last week: Daredevil #7

ev82

Post by ev82 » 10 Jan 2019, 03:13

5. Humphries: "Sorta Uncanny"- Uncanny X-Force vol.2 #1-17
4. Moore: "On the Road"- X-Force vol.1 #63-76 and 78-100
3. Loeb: "The Sorta New Mutants Era"- X-Force vol.1 #44-61
2. Kyle and Yost: "Cyclops' Black Ops"- X-Force vol.3 #1-28
1. Remender: "The Uncanny Team"- Uncanny X-Force vol.1 #1-35
X-Men Editorial Draft
X-Men: Magik|Cannonball|Psylocke|Thunderbird II|Gentile|Petra
All New X-Factor: Havok|Frenzy|Forge|Sunfire|Bloodstorm(Mutant X)|Wild Child|Cipher

Snowbrigade

Post by Snowbrigade » 10 Jan 2019, 16:45

5 Nicieza: "X-Force Refined"- X-Force vol.1 #13-43 - read this run for the first time about 10 years ago and felt totally underwhelmed. While I can appreciate what Nicieza did to flesh out the main cast I think the run lacked overall direction and I cant remember caring for more than a couple of issues.
4 Kyle and Yost: "Cyclops' Black Ops"- X-Force vol.3 #1-28 - I enjoyed reading this run even though it often felt more concerned with telling over the top violent stories rather than just making it a good comic. Good but not great.
3 Moore: "On the Road"- X-Force vol.1 #63-76 and 78-100 - To me this is by far the best run from the og x-force series. The book finally had a direction and it was the first time I felt like I could actually relate to the characters as being a teenager myself. Cant believe its not getting more love here.
2 Milligan: "NOT X-Force"- X-Force vol.1 #116-129 - I loooved Milligans X-Force when it first came out. Love Ellis on other titles but his x-force felt super generic so it was a welcome change when Milligan came on board and gave us this crazy title where anything could happen. All of the characters seemed like terrible people at first but he made me care for almost all of them.
1 Rememder: "The Uncanny Team"- Uncanny X-Force vol.1 #1-35 - Not much to say about this one. Its one of my top 5 x-series runs to date and its just perfect in regards to story, art, characters and tone. Great example of what an amazing experience reading a comic book can be.
Take no heroes, only inspiration

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 10 Jan 2019, 17:19

5. Kyle/Yost: "Cyclops' Black Ops" - Man, the art was slick here. And if you factor in Necrosha, it was one of the coolest stretches of books around. I remember initially being annoyed by "Stabbity-Force", but coming around to truly enjoy this book.

4. Milligan: "NOT X-Force" - I remember this coming out and getting whiplash from the change in tone. It was so good and topical and relevant and such a great critique of modern fame that I still point to it as a modern cultural touchstone.

3. Spurrier: "Si's Bunch" - While Remender did most of the heavy lifting in the rehabilitation of Betsy Braddock, Si's distillation of the character shed major light into how much of a mess she'd been made. Also, the art being kinetic and "ugly" made the focus even more on her personality. No butt shots here (not that I'm against the occasional butt shot). Betsy walking into that room alone and just taking an entire squadron out, while resetting her "Days since last kill" was simultaneously chilling and heartbreaking, as was the revelations about Marrow.

2. Moore: "On the Road" - I loved this run. The character development alone is gold, and this chapter of their lives had the X-Force kids actually behaving like young adults, hooking up and being messy and making mistakes, all while having adventures. "On the Road" is a great title for the run because parts of this really did feel like Jack Kerouac with powers.

1. Remender: "The Uncanny Team" - Dude, this was one of the best runs of the X-Books period. If I'm talking with someone who only knows them from the movies and wants to see something good that isn't 20 years old, this is one of the ones I namedrop.

I kept trying to find room on my list for at least part of the OG run of X-Force, but I couldn't for the life of me delineate where they started and ended. It turned out, they weren't especially memorable for me until the abrupt change in direction when they left everything behind and went out on their own.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"