Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Level 10: In this section, people will argue about all x-related topics, such as certain character ages, continuity or the nature of the Phoenix. Newbies beware!
User avatar
Cable
Posts: 3805
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 18:31
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by Cable » 03 Dec 2018, 19:35

Marvel.com has ranked the best X-Men ever. Which will anger the board more, Kitty Pryde being #2 or Jubilee ranking higher than Cyclops and Storm?
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

User avatar
Nu-D
Posts: 2114
Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 00:22
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by Nu-D » 03 Dec 2018, 20:43

Cable wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 19:35
Marvel.com has ranked the best X-Men ever. Which will anger the board more, Kitty Pryde being #2 or Jubilee ranking higher than Cyclops and Storm?
The end of the video says they’re ranked on their “overall importance and influence on comics.”

I call bullshit. Jubliee’s “importance and influence” are negligible. The rest of them are fine, though I’d quibble with the order. Maybe Gambit or Cable should be there. Or Deadpool if you insist on pretending he’s an X-Man.

I assume Jubilee is there to troll the readers and generate clicks.

User avatar
EphemeristX
Posts: 4409
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 16:50
Contact:

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by EphemeristX » 03 Dec 2018, 20:44

Jubilee is number 3rd in the voting, I could not believe it.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

User avatar
Magnus
Posts: 1218
Joined: 14 Nov 2013, 00:54

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by Magnus » 04 Dec 2018, 02:29

The list for those who want to spare a click, and my thoughts (note the video provides no justification and merely outlines the character's powers/defining features):

10. Rogue - should be higher, especially given her central role in the first movie trilogy
9. Beast - not sure he's top 10, but gets extra points for being an Avenger
8. Wolverine (Laura) - I know she's caught on but I'm not sure she's well-known enough, also loses points for being "Wolverine's daughter"
7. Phoenix - she's recognizable but more for her story arc than character, probably should be on the list but maybe a spot too high?
6. Cyclops - should be higher
5. Storm - sounds about right
4. Professor Xavier - top 10 but maybe too high?
3. Jubilee - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
2. Kitty Pryde - I think you can make a good argument she should be in the top 10, being somewhat recognizable and one of the few to go from student to full-fledged X-Man, but #2? Eh
1. Wolverine (Logan) - can't disagree, most recognizable and super-popular

My completely off-the-cuff list:

10. Gambit
9. Beast
8. Kitty
7. Phoenix
6. Professor X
5. Nightcrawler
4. Rogue
3. Storm
2. Cyclops
1. Wolverine (Logan)

Harder to decide than I originally thought, actually. I'm assuming Magneto doesn't count, otherwise he'd be around 3-4ish. Next batch of characters considered would be Emma, Iceman, Colossus, Archangel.

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 17692
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Dec 2018, 02:51

I do wonder, cash-grab aside, if it was based on voting...if it was based on voting then I can see Jubes making it to the top 10...people inside Marvel seem to like Jubilee alot more than non-comic book fans do.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 1000
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by Spectral Knight » 04 Dec 2018, 07:32

Erm, nah. List is usual marketing nonsense.

Given it a crack myself but whilst I'm sure there will be detractors I remain convinced this is far better than Marvel's doing.

1. Wolverine
2. Cyclops
3. Storm
4. Beast
5. Phoenix
6. Gambit
7. Rogue
8. Professor X
9. Iceman
10. Cable (freely admit this is somewhat left field but the amount of solo runs Nate has had, plus him defining Liefeld-ism I think he's earned his spot)
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 17692
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Dec 2018, 12:34

Funny you say that when alot of your list contains the same people there’s does lol

I think you can reasonable argue for Kitty being top 3....and I don’t even care for her. It really all depends on your criteria...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

User avatar
Cable
Posts: 3805
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 18:31
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by Cable » 04 Dec 2018, 15:00

The overemphasis of Jubilee makes you think this list was likely made by people who grew up with the 90s animated show. The list is exactly the main cast of that except made more modern by removing Gambit in favor of Kitty/X-23.

But I am not going to try to change it (though I think Iceman should be on it), I am just going to rearrange it into the proper order.


10. Jubilee

9. Wolverine (Laura)

8. Rogue

7. Beast

6. Kitty Pryde

5. Phoenix

4. Storm

3. Professor Xavier

2. Wolverine (Logan)

1. Cyclops
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 1000
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by Spectral Knight » 04 Dec 2018, 15:09

Blackcyclops wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 12:34
Funny you say that when alot of your list contains the same people there’s does lol

I think you can reasonable argue for Kitty being top 3....and I don’t even care for her. It really all depends on your criteria...
Yes, because I think most of us would find we'd get at least 5 or 6 consistently there. My reference to it being nonsense was the rankings applied, and the presence of X-23, Jubes and Kitty. The first two I actually like, but I think you can reasonably argue for all three being excluded from the top ten completely. While I don't carry hatred for Kitty(or certainly, any dislike of her would be very, very low on the Das Boot levels), I see no reason for her being even in the top 10.
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

User avatar
EphemeristX
Posts: 4409
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 16:50
Contact:

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by EphemeristX » 04 Dec 2018, 16:41

I think Kitty deserves a top 10 spot. She's led a team and she was the first person to grow up an X-Man. Maybe even X-23 because of her growth as Wolverine. Just not Jubilee. I'd replace Jubes with Nightcrawler, rearrange them a bit, and call it a day.

10. Beast
9. X-23
8. Nightcrawler
7. Phoenix
6. Kitty Pryde
5. Professor X
4. Rogue
3. Storm
2. Wolverine
1. Cyclops

After these guys, yeah, I'd add the other O5s, Emma, Colossus, and Psylocke. Jubilee might make the top 20. Maybe.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 2776
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by das_boot » 04 Dec 2018, 16:48

Yeah, i’d probably put it as

1-Wolverine
2-Professor X
3- Phoenix/Jean
4- Cuckoos
5- Storm
6- Nightcrawler
7- Rogue
8- Iceman
9- Beast
10- Anyone but Kitty.

If this was something voted in by readers I can understand the Jubilee love. I can NEVER understand the Kitty love because she’s just vile.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

User avatar
EphemeristX
Posts: 4409
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 16:50
Contact:

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by EphemeristX » 04 Dec 2018, 16:53

I can understand your omission of Kitty but Cuckoos? And no Cyclops?
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 1000
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by Spectral Knight » 05 Dec 2018, 11:37

das_boot wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 16:48
Yeah, i’d probably put it as

1-Wolverine
2-Professor X
3- Phoenix/Jean
4- Cuckoos
5- Storm
6- Nightcrawler
7- Rogue
8- Iceman
9- Beast
10- Anyone but Kitty.

If this was something voted in by readers I can understand the Jubilee love. I can NEVER understand the Kitty love because she’s just vile.
No Cyclops? Really?

Also, interesting how few picks for Emma for T10, given she's been front and centre of the franchise for a good 15-ish year stretch.
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 2776
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by das_boot » 05 Dec 2018, 12:40

HA! Stupid phone autocorrected Cyclops to Cuckoos! 😂
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 4672
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by tokenBG1009 » 06 Dec 2018, 09:23

10. Shadowcat
9. Gambit
8. Rogue
7. Emma Frost
6. Jean Grey
5. Nightcrawler
4. Storm
3. Professor X
2. Wolverine
1. Cyclops

Laura would probably be at 11. Beast would be 12. The other O5, Havok, and Polaris would be in the top 20, but I don't know where. Cannonball would probably be top 25 because I feel most long-term leaders should be in top 25.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 1000
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by Spectral Knight » 06 Dec 2018, 17:48

I really don't get the love for Kitty at all. I could imagine her being in the mid teens for me. Nightcrawler just falls outside the top 10 with Emma just behind, but I see Kitty as falling somewhere around the Angel, Colossus and Jubilee ranking. She's always been wallpaper for me. Sure she's been around for ages, but she doesn't jump as a great X character in the slightest.
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 17692
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by Blackcyclops » 06 Dec 2018, 17:51

I could at least see a reasonable argument to include her, even though I wouldn’t.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

User avatar
Cable
Posts: 3805
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 18:31
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by Cable » 06 Dec 2018, 17:58

Kitty is the leader of the X-Men. That puts her up there with Cyclops, Wolverine, and Storm.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

User avatar
EphemeristX
Posts: 4409
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 16:50
Contact:

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by EphemeristX » 06 Dec 2018, 18:06

Rogue and Gambit both led the X-Men too. And Jean. And Magneto. And Psylocke (for like a minute).
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

User avatar
Cable
Posts: 3805
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 18:31
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by Cable » 06 Dec 2018, 19:31

EphemeristX wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 18:06
Rogue and Gambit both led the X-Men too. And Jean. And Magneto. And Psylocke (for like a minute).
No, no. Rogue and Gambit led SOME X-Men. They did not lead THE X-Men.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

User avatar
EphemeristX
Posts: 4409
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 16:50
Contact:

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by EphemeristX » 06 Dec 2018, 19:32

I mean, the entirety of the X-Men was split into two groups and they both led them. There wasn't, like, a school staff or whatever in the background like modern day teams. That's why I didn't include Iceman, Archangel, or Nightcrawler.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

User avatar
Nu-D
Posts: 2114
Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 00:22
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by Nu-D » 06 Dec 2018, 20:20

I think if your formative X-Men era is the first half of the 1980’s, Kitty is very important. If your formative X-Men era is the 1990’s, Kitty is a b-lister.

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 17692
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by Blackcyclops » 06 Dec 2018, 21:25

Nu-D wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 20:20
I think if your formative X-Men era is the first half of the 1980’s, Kitty is very important. If your formative X-Men era is the 1990’s, Kitty is a b-lister.
True...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 1000
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by Spectral Knight » 07 Dec 2018, 06:19

Yeah maybe. 90s was when I got into the books.
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 4672
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Re: Marvel's Top 10 X-Men

Post by tokenBG1009 » 07 Dec 2018, 06:53

I got into X-Men in the 90s with the Animated Series, but I recognize that Kitty is important to the franchise as a character. A vile and miserable character, but important.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

Post Reply