Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

DC Reveals "Rebirth"

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other comics from Batman to Hellboy
Wings

DC Reveals "Rebirth"

Post by Wings » 19 Feb 2016, 08:35

Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Monolith

Re: DC Reveals "Rebirth"

Post by Monolith » 19 Feb 2016, 12:33

DC Comics continues its proud tradition of being that embarrassing story that's SUPER funny as long as it happened to somebody else.

Long Live Marvel.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 19 Feb 2016, 13:46

The best thing to come out of this is all titles being 2.99

Granted, the only reason I'm even able to read Marvel is the digital copies, but I'm slightly more tempted to try some DC titles out at $3 a pop.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 19 Feb 2016, 14:01

So, the DC You didnt last very long huh? Either way, i like that they are lauching some new series at 2.99, i will definitely check some out. Hopefully will get some good Wonder Woman again.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 19 Feb 2016, 16:09

DC is like that guy at the bar who ran out of money but still isn't drunk yet. "Come on man... I'll pay you back tomorrow. I got an idea! What if I make a new Superman book... or five. You like the Superman. Ted you like The Supermans! Just one more beer and I'll make more Batmens for your boy."
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 19 Feb 2016, 16:21

As someone who's not invested in DC at all but hears about goings-on because I'm a comics fan: Yikes. Does anyone out there not think things were this sloppy? Like, are there any DC fans who have genuinely been into all that's happened in the last several years? No shade, but... well, I guess yes shade lol.
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 19 Feb 2016, 17:28

The biggest takeaway from this that I have is that DC has continued to fail to successfully evolve their characters, so instead have decided to dial them all back to when the books were more successful instead, regardless of the fact that the audience is the one who's done the evolving.

It's kind of sad because I want to like DC. I just don't.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 19 Feb 2016, 17:50

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss in enthusiasm."

-- Winston Churchill.
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 19 Feb 2016, 18:57

You know, befor the 52 came out i was a big fan of some series with Batgirl (Stephanie Brown), Red Robin, Batman Inc, Teen Titans, Detective Comics with Batwoman, and Superboy, that was just starting and was really cool, he was this hunky nice guy with a cool costume, and he was racing Kid Flash. I particularly liked the art in those books, i mean i was VERY into the bat books since Bruce died till the end of the universe.

So then the New 52 came out and i was so excited to try many of those books, and boy, they were soooo different (Batwoman was the same) tonally, Stephanie Brown didnt exist, and Gail Simones book was so so dark, i mean Barbara couldnt catch a break and her brother was a psycho, Tim Drake was never a Robin, or maybe he was, they wouldnt decide, Superboy was just weird, and everywhere, the art in all the books were just dark and grim and... clasic. Besides Wonder Woman, and Birds of Prey (which i ended up dropping) it just didnt work for me.

Edit: Oh right, and now they are going back to a new shuffle. Hopefully it will be more of the lighter pre new 52 and less of the finger cutting, everything is dark, 52.

Edit 2: I mean the Teen Titans is the kind of book that i simply would adore, but i cant get past the covers not looking fun and new Raven's costume.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 19 Feb 2016, 20:06

The big issue for with it all from New 52 is that yeah there were some great books:

Swamp Thing
Animal Man
Wonder Woman (still good)
Batman by Snyder
The Flash (in the beginning)

A lot were lackluster and being 'reboots' they'd lost much of the 'emotion' of their original characters.

BUT the vast majority of them didn't need to be taking place in reboots, they tried to have their cake and eat it by saying everything which existed before still did...except the stuff we say doesn't but we're not going to tell you what yet.

Then there were just so many continuity crashes (still is, in some books Superman is fully powered in others not)

Wings

Post by Wings » 19 Feb 2016, 20:46

Crutey Anth wrote:The big issue for with it all from New 52 is that yeah there were some great books:

Swamp Thing
Animal Man
Wonder Woman (still good)
Batman by Snyder
The Flash (in the beginning)

A lot were lackluster and being 'reboots' they'd lost much of the 'emotion' of their original characters.

BUT the vast majority of them didn't need to be taking place in reboots, they tried to have their cake and eat it by saying everything which existed before still did...except the stuff we say doesn't but we're not going to tell you what yet.

Then there were just so many continuity crashes (still is, in some books Superman is fully powered in others not)
Like Beast Boy's unexplained colour change.

@manuel_mc89: You dodged a bullet with Teen Titans, it's been consistently bad. I also loathe Raven's new look.

I'm quite dissappointed with the lack of a Batwoman book. I hope she finds a home somewhere.

The large amount of fortnightly books is also rather worrying.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 19 Feb 2016, 20:55

I had no problem with solos not always lining up perfectly with team books...stuff happens at a different time, DC's done that for decades.

My biggest issue with the 52 relaunch was that it felt rushed. Like it wasn't planned through...you can dislike a book or a #1 or a writer but at the very least Marvel's successes and failures all feel like they at least come from a place of having a plan.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 19 Feb 2016, 21:04

The rushing was clear from the beginning, too. They set up several "coming soon" cliffhangers and plot threads in Brightest Day, only to toss them aside and reboot their universe a few months later.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 19 Feb 2016, 22:00

There were some genuinely interesting things teased at the end at Brightest Day.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 19 Feb 2016, 23:27

Blackcyclops wrote:There were some genuinely interesting things teased at the end at Brightest Day.
Yep. This was my biggest problem with the New 52. Besides the absolute mess of continuity some of which never got answered. DC was actually at a very interesting place across the board after Brightest Day and then BAM so much "lower tier" stuff got nuked because... We Can.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 21 Feb 2016, 08:33

Like Antibody I don't read DC but I have a passing interest in their universe. Out of curiosity is Rebirth yet another reboot? How many have DC done now? This seems a bit too soon after the whole 52 thing they did.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Wings

Post by Wings » 21 Feb 2016, 14:13

I believe it's more like the NOW! and All New All Different initiatives at Marvel than a reboot like Crisis on Infinite Earths or Flashpoint resulted in.
They appear to be sticking with the continuity they've built up since they launched the New 52.

Whether they're going to unleash a slew of retcons in the Rebirth specials, we'll have to wait and see.

There's some interesting thoughts here on Rebirth: http://comicsalliance.com/geoff-johns-dc-rebirth/

Phoenixx9

Post by Phoenixx9 » 21 Feb 2016, 19:29

I saw a pic of Wonder Woman in a black body suit with silver "WW" chest emblem and belt along with silver tiara.

Is this the new Rebirth Wonder Woman or Nu52 WW updated look?

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 21 Feb 2016, 21:03

Sounds like Donna Troy. Black and silver were always her colors. I'd have to see it, though. AFAIK, all of WW's looks have at least had a red top (except that horrible 90s biker bra/spandex shorts outfit she had), but some have had silver embellishments.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Crawler

Post by Crawler » 22 Feb 2016, 00:31

I was down to just reading Secret Six from DC, and with its cancellation I think I'll be jumping off the DCU. If I want to try it later when they have a 99 cent sale on digital issues, I might, but I'm fairly burned out on investing myself in stories that may be meaningless in a few years. I know the old stories still exist, but when there's no payoff for reading year in and year out because of continuity shifts, it feels that much harder to invest time and money in comics.

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 22 Feb 2016, 00:46

*sigh*

I want to like DC again, I really do.

At the moment, I only read Flash and the two GL books. The price drop will help but how some are interpreting Johns's comments over this being more for the long-long term comic readers instead of trying to foster new readers is troubling. Have to wait and see I guess.
Verda Gildr- 'Become Worthy'

Phoenixx9

Post by Phoenixx9 » 22 Feb 2016, 21:12

EphemeristX wrote:Sounds like Donna Troy. Black and silver were always her colors. I'd have to see it, though. AFAIK, all of WW's looks have at least had a red top (except that horrible 90s biker bra/spandex shorts outfit she had), but some have had silver embellishments.
Thanks EmphemeristX.

I came across the pic by accident on internet. All accessories were silver. No red or blue or gold.

If this is Donna, is it the Nu52 Donna or do you think it is the Rebirth Donna?

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 22 Feb 2016, 21:20

No one can explain a picture to you that they have never seen, Phoenixx9. Provide a link to the picture, and people can maybe identify it for you. Or go on the DC Wiki, or just google "New 52 Donna Troy", if you want to know what she looks like currently.