Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Saga #21

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other comics from Batman to Hellboy
Sabin

Saga #21

Post by Sabin » 24 Jul 2014, 00:44

Prrrrrobably one of the weaker issues of Saga to come out. Not because it does anything wrong but because there's nothing especially exciting happening. Everybody just advances farther along on their paths. Ginny starts to flirt more openly with Marko. Alana learns that doing drugs could possibly enhance her Open Circuit performances. It might have been funny to see one of these. She ends up getting a raise but her drug use is now coming home with her. Her eyes are red & stoned when she comes home to brag about her raise. I liked the sex scene between her and a fully nude Marko. The book does a good job of resisting all-female cheesecake. Dengo is clearly not Robot IV (that was all my confusion). He lays waste to an entire ship and then plans to take the young Robot to the Open Circuit. Meanwhile, Robot IV is awakened from a stupor (it's hard to say what he registers these days), and he is informed that his wife is killed and his son is in danger. He is considerably more angered that his son was born without his knowledge than the death of his wife, and he kills a Sextillion worker and heads off to ask his Father, King Robot, for help.

All of it is well done. There are some strong little touches along the way that keep this book compelling. Were I to read this volume in its entirety, I might be perfectly content. A book as consistently good as Saga just keeps the bar a little high. Last issue was a pretty shocking thing to read and this one was a little more muted. Clearly though it's building towards something huge.

tokenBG1009

Re: Saga #21

Post by tokenBG1009 » 24 Jul 2014, 02:47

It says something when even a weaker issue is still really good. The sex scene between Marko and Alana with Hazel's commentary made the scene seem extra sad to me for some reason. Hazel's commentary puts a different light on things that would normally seem a different way and I love it.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 27 Jul 2014, 14:12

Congratulations to Saga and it's team on their Eisner Award wins this year!

Vaughn won for Best Writer, Staples won for Best Painter/Mulitmedia Artist and Saga won for Best Continuing Series.
Verda Gildr- 'Become Worthy'

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 28 Jul 2014, 08:16

Image are really producing a lot of quality stuff at the moment. I'm finding myself falling behind on a lot of Marvel stuff (only about 3 titles that I get straight away every month). I tend to get more excited for Image titles each month. I was pleased to see Sex Criminals win Best new series as well.

Latest issue of Saga, I liked, probably preferred last few episodes but still really good. Hazel's dialogue does change the meaning of scenes a lot, it's really used to good effect. Art great as always.
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower

Dr Nemesis

Post by Dr Nemesis » 03 Aug 2014, 15:13

I enjoyed it - what's a "weak" issue for Saga is still far superior to most titles I'm reading at the moment.

I agree with Sabin - it might be nice to have an Open Circuit Performance mini story tacked on to the end of an issue.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 29 Apr 2016, 01:48

Anyone still reading Saga? What a tear jerker of an issue!
DC Draft Results: Martian Manhunter | Zatanna | GL (John Stewart) | Shazam! | Flash (Barry Allen)| Katana | Hawkman
Legion of Doom: Sinestro | Black Adam | Flash's Rogues

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 01 May 2016, 07:48

Yeah I read it as the first one everyweek it comes out. It's the best comic on the stands right now.

What I really like (maybe just me) is I can't guess where it's going/what's going to happen. Like each issue turns up some sort of twist or unexpected storyline which I just wasn't expeccting

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 02 May 2016, 02:54

If the image I've seen on reddit is from this latest issue...

Sometimes Saga might try a little harder than it needs to to shock.
A League of Their Own!

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 02 May 2016, 04:30

At this point I'm not really shocked by anything that happens in Saga. I just roll with it.
DC Draft Results: Martian Manhunter | Zatanna | GL (John Stewart) | Shazam! | Flash (Barry Allen)| Katana | Hawkman

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 02 May 2016, 06:59

What image Token?

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 02 May 2016, 14:56

Dragon solo mouth hugs
A League of Their Own!

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 15 Oct 2016, 23:45

#38 was another heartbreaker wasn't it?

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 18 Oct 2016, 15:21

Damn you Brian K. Vaughan! You think I should be used to him killing off favorite characters by now!

But yeah still a great issue.
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 24 Oct 2016, 14:32

Just finished the fourth TPB. This is the best ongoing comic I have read since Strangers in Paradise. However, like SiP, at times it feels a bit to meandering; it needs slightly clearer arcs to give it a sense that it's building to something.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 08 Feb 2017, 00:36

And here after #38 when I thought it couldn't get any worse BKV decided to kick us twice in the nuts in one issue.

I've never felt truly depressed after reading a comic until now. I love this comic and it's emotions but damn. Ugh.

Dammit I'm gonna miss Kurti.