Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

What Books Outside of Marvel Are You Reading?

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other comics from Batman to Hellboy
RingOtaku

Re: What Books Outside of Marvel Are You Reading?

Post by RingOtaku » 12 Jul 2014, 15:53

Still reading IDW's Ghostbusters. The current arc is their 30th anniversary arc and to celebrate it's plot is not only influenced by the events of the first movie but we finally have Dana Barrett and Louis Tully show up. Every issue of this series makes me happy in a nostalgic fanboy way. It's a near-perfect continuity blend of the two live action movies, the Real Ghostbusters cartoon, Extreme Ghostbusters, and the video game from a few years ago that was in turn based off the Ghostbusters 3 script that Akyroyd was trying to get made for like ten years.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

History of Paper

Post by History of Paper » 15 Jul 2014, 08:05

Looking forward to the conclusion of Fables!

drzoidberg

Post by drzoidberg » 04 Aug 2014, 22:07

Is anybody else reading C.O.W.L.? I'm really digging it. The art is kinda like Bill Sienkiewicz meets Phil Noto!

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 09 Aug 2014, 16:28

I'm reading DC's Grayson which is about as fun a title as DC puts out these days. I'm also reading Afterlife with Archie, Sex Criminals, and Lumberjanes.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 23 Aug 2014, 15:01

The 'other' major summer event, Valiant's Armor Hunters, is racing towards the finish line. The main mini reads like a summer action blockbuster movie and the tie-in minis with the various characters show the effects and consequences of the main conflict very well. Robert Venditti's first major event for the publisher is a winner so far.

After a lengthy delay, Usagi Yojimbo returns in a new mini entitled Senso. Set twenty years into the rabbit ronin's future, Usagi and his friends suddenly find themselves under attack by Martians....yes Martians! Stan Sakai is one of the purest storytellers working in the industry today and #1 was a rocking good start to this story. Welcome back Usagi!

Titan Books picked up the Doctor Who license from IDW. So far, they've released two brand-new series, one featuring Tennant and the other featuring Smith. After the premiere of Capaldi, Titan is set to release a third series featuring him. The first issues of Tennant and Smith were rather interesting. I'm not all that familiar with the creators but the stories were enticing as they introduce new companions for both Doctors. They actually took the time and effort to start building up these companions (ala Rose Tyler and her family) instead of the Doctor simply bumping into them and off they go. I'm intrigued enough to continue reading both titles.
Verda Gildr- 'Become Worthy'

GangrelMutant Reborn

Post by GangrelMutant Reborn » 29 Aug 2014, 19:29

I recently picked up the 1st TPB volume of The Spirit written by Darwyn Cooke (published by DC) - my only previous experiance of the character was the film, which while not everyones cup of tea, I did like - I do like the writing style and the art and the 1st volume includes a crossover with (a silver-age / classic) style Batman (with appearances by Robin and Batman's Rogues Gallery, and a very brief appearance by Superman) and is a very fund read.
_________
Gangrel

"Hobgoblin. You are a wannabe monster. I've spent my entire life slaying real ones. Why do you think they're extinct?"
Hercules - Herc, Fear Itself

Psylocke828

Post by Psylocke828 » 30 Aug 2014, 02:36

Current list:

-Grayson (DC).
-Sinestro (DC).
-Batman Eternal (DC).
-Justice League United (DC).
-Gail Simone's Red Sonja.
-Saga.

grief

Post by grief » 30 Aug 2014, 03:43

With Forever Evil over, and having been promised Lex Luthor joining (and messing with!) the Justice League, I'm giving the book another try. Three issues in and Luthor has barely even begun to mess with the League (which I'm super disappointed in), but he has taken some steps and I've totally enjoyed those. The Doom Patrol and Power Ring are set to kind of take over the rest of the arc and I'm not terribly interested in either of them. The Doom Patrol seem...well...really lame for following this Doc guy. I mean, the dude - in this version - is a total ass and jerk. The way he talks to those people is disgusting! But they all just kind of shrug and go "Well, Doc saved us, so I guess it's cool that he calls me a monsterish freak that society would fear if they knew I existed. What a great guy." Ugh. I do get a kick out of Element Woman's seemingly eternal positive mood and I hope she ends up sticking with the JL (which means she won't).

The one thing that REALLY bothers me is that during one of the scenes in this book, Wonder Woman makes some comment about finishing her enemies or something like that and the Flash thinks she's joking. He does one of those "Oh, you're kidding, right? Right?" type deals. I understand that this League has only been together for five years, but isn't this something that would have been settled by now? Wonder Woman was ripping/cutting parademons apart in the opening arc and - FIVE YEARS LATER - the Flash still doesn't get how she does business? Does this League only get together once a year or something? It just felt like such weird thing to have unsettled at this point.

I figure I'll probably finish this arc and see how I feel. If Luthor gets more involved (and I don't see why he wouldn't!) I'll probably keep buying, if only to see him consistently unnerve the rest of the team.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 02 Sep 2014, 23:03

Man Grief I swear if you actually count their page time together and compare them to the Avengers or hell Cyke's X-Men, you'll be shocked at how little they've done as an actual team...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 03 Sep 2014, 04:24

Well, Luthor and the Chief seem to have a prior relationship, which might be interesting to see how Johns develops that. The Chief did act like such an a$$ but he (apparently) keeps them on such a short lease that they might feel they'd have no other place to go if they left. Plus, he plays up the 'I saved your life' angle so much that guilt plays a big role in their staying as well.

Luthor has made some rather startling moves of late, his trip to Gotham was quite intense, hiring Len Snart as well (a Rogue goes legit? What?!) They may not be earth-shattering moves but I think Luthor is off to a decent start.

grief

Post by grief » 03 Sep 2014, 18:47

@BC - I just mean, I think that'd be one of the things a person would note about Wonder Woman. "Oh, she's super-strong, bad ass, looks great, and kills her foes. We don't normally condone that, but I guess we don't care? Okay." I know if I ran into a co-worker once a year who killed her enemies, that'd be my first thought.

@Cyke - I do think that the Luthor/Chief backstory has some potential and is an interesting angle. I do like that Cold was pulled into the book, but I also suspect that Luthor is up to more than just helping the guy out. He's got some mischief planned.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

Psylocke828

Post by Psylocke828 » 03 Sep 2014, 21:05

I'd like it if Luthor turned out to be genuine in his attempts to go legit. But his true nature will win out in the end sooner or later.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 Sep 2014, 21:08

It was a dumb omission but I'm just annoyed by the lack of genuine superheroing by the team...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 19 Sep 2014, 04:48

Boom! has released the first issue of George Perez's new original series, Sirens. After the eye complications he's recently suffered and the resultant corrective surgery, it's great to see him back in full form.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 21 Sep 2014, 06:30

The Future's End holograms don't work as well as the Villains Month holograms.

GreenLanternNova

Post by GreenLanternNova » 01 Oct 2014, 19:42

I'm currently reading (outside of Marvel)

DC
Batman
Green Lantern
Green Lantern New Guardians
Flash

Walking Dead
Trees
Tech Jacket

Archie
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic Universe

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 19 Oct 2014, 15:24

The Godhead event that is currently running through the Green Lantern stable of books has been fairly decent so far. The major introduction of the New Gods into the Nu52, the scope of their war with Darkseid, and how, so far, nothing that any of the ring Corps can do has yet to effectively stop Highfather's plans or his warriors. Although I didn't know Kyle and Carol had become a couple.

Over in the Justice League, yes, Luthor is up to some serious mischief, Bruce seeks to turn his partnership with LexCorp into an opportunity to finally gather proof of Luthor's corruption, how long can the new Power Ring maintain control, and it all leads to the accidental release of the Amazo virus. So far, it's been entertaining.

Picked up the first issue of Trinity of Sin, mainly because I like the Question. Still unsure about making him more supernatural, but with J.M. Dematteis at the helm, it was decent enough for me to see where he will take this grouping next.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 19 Oct 2014, 20:20

The salesperson at my LCS convinced me to finally pick up some DC titles after my self imposed boycott since they began the New 52. She convinced me to grab Gotham Academy and Batgirl.

Gotham Academy was pretty good, I adore the art and it has a fun Harry Potter feel. I might keep going with this one.

Batgirl, outside of the new costume (which I don't even understand why she made it) was pretty awful. They had to know a bunch of new readers would be jumping on with this issue but it was incredibly new reader unfriendly. It also felt like every bad cliche of teens/young adults ever, including a bad guy who overuses "hashtag" in his actual dialogue. Compare this book about teenagers to one of the quality of say Ms. Marvel which I completely love, and it's almost downright insulting. Needless to say I will not be continuing to read.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 26 Oct 2014, 15:14

I finally got on the Archie wagon. So Afterlife and now, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.
Check out my comic reviews and articles! http://www.comicosity.com/author/anthonyblackwood/

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 30 Oct 2014, 07:16

I just read Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Kinsley & Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley.

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 30 Oct 2014, 15:34

IDW's Ghostbusters had ended. I have the sads.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 18 Nov 2014, 03:29

Did anybody else pick up Kurt Busiek's Tooth & Claw?

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 20 Nov 2014, 14:34

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:Did anybody else pick up Kurt Busiek's Tooth & Claw?
I did, thought it was quite interesting. The level of detail in the art was amazing. It makes me want to finally read his Arrowsmith book as well.

Daymare

Post by Daymare » 25 Nov 2014, 18:36

Rat Queens
Saga
Wonder Woman (finished with Azz though)
Not many at the moment in all honestly (even from the big 2), the price hike and the story quality has had me waning lately.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 01 Dec 2014, 02:28

Thanks to Comixlogy I picked up Pretty Deadly vol 1 and Rat Queens. I had read the first issue of Pretty Deadly when it came out and hadn't been impressed. Once I got to read the entire first arc back to back it ended up being amazing though. Really happy I decided to pick it up. I spent entirely too much money on that Image sale...
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...