Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

What Books Outside of Marvel Are You Reading?

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other comics from Batman to Hellboy
EvilMonkeyPope

Re: What Books Outside of Marvel Are You Reading?

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 29 Jan 2015, 04:42

Rat Queens is great fun.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 29 Jan 2015, 04:46

I picked up the first few issues of that in one of the many wallet sucking sales that Comixology had last year. Now that Stjepan Šejić is taking over for art on the book... It's going on my pull list real fast.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 30 Jan 2015, 02:18

Did anybody get Batman this week? WHOA
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 07 Mar 2015, 07:10

I didn't love Sex Crimminals as much as everybody else despite it being a novel concept with likeable characters. My favorite bits were the signage & other subtle sight gags. The first trade only felt like 3/4 of a arc.

Sex by Joe Casey is awful. It's about an ultra-repressed Not!Bruce Wayne retiring from being Not!Batman because Not!Alfred's dying wish was for him to get a life. The characters (aside from Not!Nightwing & Not!Catwoman) are obnoxiously boring or repulsive, which makes watching their sex lives unpleasant. The bad guy reminds me of wrinkly Frank Miller. Saturn City has yellow skies but there's no overtly sci-fi stuff so I wasn't sure whether it's located on Saturn. Saturn City is crimeridden yet the book frames it more like Not!Batman's crusade was against sex but it doesn't commit to a more gonzo premise of Not!Batman actively ruining everyone's sex life while ignoring crime. He goes to a brothel disguised as Fidel Castro. The best part was when Not!Bruce Wayne finally decides to have have sex with Not!Selina Kyle but she passed out from his dullness. The end of the first trade implies Not!Batman will come out of retirement so the first 8 issues were a waste of time.

I hated both of their X-stints, but Fraction partially redeemed himself. Now I REALLY don't want to read anything else by Casey.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 07 Mar 2015, 09:41

Sex Criminals was fun at the beginning, but I've somewhat fallen out of love with it. I was buying it on release originally, but I'm mostly just catching up on it whenever Comixology has a sale. It's funny, but I think I stopped following it right before the actual plot began. At some point I'll jump back into it and see how it goes again.

The Wicked + The Divine is a book that... I don't even know anymore. It started off, like I'm beginning to see every Image title, with a hell of a bang, but now I wonder where it's planning to go. I still buy it the week it releases, and I still buy both a physical and digital copy because I enjoy the covers, but I'm beginning to think it's going to fall to the same territory as Sex Criminals.
A League of Their Own!

drzoidberg

Post by drzoidberg » 08 Mar 2015, 10:44

Hey, I like Sex by Casey! It's by no means perfect and a bit of a slow burn, but I think it explores some interesting territory, especially after getting everything set up with the first trade. It can be a little on the nose but I dunno, I'm drawn to it each month. Not like MUST HAVE NOW, but I still wanna see where it's going and what its characters are up to. To each his own, I guess.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 02 Apr 2015, 22:26

I convinced Kurt Busiek that Goldfoot from Autumnlands sounds like Holly Hunter: https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/5 ... 1888028673

Wings

Post by Wings » 10 Apr 2015, 09:08

Just finished the first trade of The Wicked+The Divine. I really enjoyed it but I did read a critical review or two that I found interesting. I'm not sure if it would read as well if I was buying it in single issues, but then again, I don't think I could stand to buy anything in single issues having been brought up on reprints. I also picked up the first trade of Saga a few months back, which I enjoyed but I'm not certain I'm invested enough in the story yet to pick up further volumes.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 10 Apr 2015, 09:29

Saga is one of maybe two or three books that I'm always excited for when I see it comes out. I was big on TW+TD when it started, but the story kind of dragged in the middle. I've heard the newest issue really kicks things into high gear.
A League of Their Own!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 10 Apr 2015, 11:50

I'm now reading Convergence...the first issue was wayyyyyy too exposition heavy.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

hotknives

Post by hotknives » 14 Apr 2015, 11:06

I love the Wicked + the Divine - think it's different, with beautiful art and a great story. I admit there was a brief dip, but it definitely seems back on form now.

Sex Criminals - I loved initially - still reading but could really do with some more plot.

Saga I love.
Uncanny Avengers Draft
1. Emma Frost
2. Wiccan
3. Magneto
4. Iron Fist
5. Dr Nemesis
6. Elixir
7. Ares
8.Mercury
9.Hellstorm

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 04 May 2015, 00:31

I was reading Red One, about a Russian supersoldier going undercover in 70's California as a superheroine. When I got to the end of issue 2 the writer declared the first arc complete ... except it's clearly not. Then he says the issues (59 pages) will be collected in an 80 page volume with 16 pages bonus material. So is the arc going to wrap up in the remaining 5 pages? It feels like a huge jerk move. Either finish the arc in the mini series format or just release each arc as a GN to begin with!

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 08 Sep 2015, 12:31

Decided to sit down and catch up on WicDiv today because I'd fallen pretty far behind. Made it through 8 - 11 and holy cow. I'd kind of fallen off the title, but it picked up tremendously and blew my mind (heh)!
A League of Their Own!

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 13 Sep 2015, 15:34

Awhile back, IDW announced their intent on releasing new projects for both Micronauts and Rom the Spaceknight by next year (which will also hopefully include omnibus collections of their previous Marvel titles at some point).

Meanwhile, IDW has just released a new book, Onyx, which has a very strong Rom influence as well as other sci-fi influences such as Blade Runner and Aliens. The first 2 issues are already out and so far, it's off to a very promising start.
Verda Gildr- 'Become Worthy'

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 15 Sep 2015, 14:35

So thanks to Bendis making me... drift apart from my mutants, im actually reading a lot of independent comics:

Wicdiv: Good god, it has picked up tremendously, i gotta say i agree it started to drag for a while, but evey issue sin the appearence (?) of Persephone has been amazing (and heartbreaking), the Tara issue was heartbreaking, and last issue, was very intriguing. I am definitely on board with this series till the propossed 40-60 issues that Gillen has said they have planned. And really, the art is always top notch.

Saga: I was reading it in trades, as in actually waiting for the trades to arrive here to Ecuador, so i was about six months behind, but im considering going digital again, given how last issue ended.

Bitch Planet: I like this, and im getting this the day it comes out, but it seems to me that it keeps finding itw say to settle down, i mean the world keeps building up, and we dont get to the actual games, before we got another turn last issue. Im still into it, but wish it would get to the point faster, and also, come out faster obviously.

Phonogram: My love for this series is somewhat different, because while i really liked The Singles Club, Phonogram 1 was a different, not as good beast, and The Immaterial Girl, is also intiguing, with great art, but honestly, sometimes i feel im not clever enough to like it on a deeper level. Its like i like it enough, and its a mini, so im definitely on board till the end, since is McKelvie and Gillen, and i do love them, but i do feel like im missing the deeps, and only mostly like it on a superficial level. You know, like some commercial indie/pop music.

The Spire: Ok, now, i consider Spurriers's Legacy run with Legion to be one of my favorites comics ever, along with his mini Six-Gun Gorilla, which is really good and one of those stories about stories that i really like, but The Spire seems... not as good, at least yet. It seems somewhat average, and this is probably my fault because i expect to be fed the goods already, because im not seeing them yet. I mean maybe it will become great, like Six-Gun Gorilla, which started as being some typical futuristic western with a talking gorilla (comics, everybody) and ended up being a very personal story about endings, so im still on board till the end, but i hope it ends up being better than X-Force, which wasnt bad, started of better, and well it wasnt amazing, like Legacy.

Private Eye: i need to catch up with it, but i really liked this, its a very intriguing for everybody in our generation really. I need to read the second volume.

Midnighter: I jumped on board with last issue, and i actually liked this, so im continuing.

Virgil: Ok, this is a graphic novel about a gay cop in Jamaica who gets outed, his friends killed, his boyfriend kidnapped, and so he goes on a roaring rampage of reveng to get him back. Now, the book is not perfect, but good lord, i didnt know i needed this type of stories, i mean, this was like all those movies about the hero violently rescuing his loved one that i love, but with a gay protagonist, and I NEEDED THIS HERO IN MY LIFE. I want more. The story is good, the art too, and the colors are amazing. I really recomend this for fans of Kill Bill, but with a gay protagonist.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 15 Sep 2015, 17:11

manuel_mc89 wrote: Phonogram: My love for this series is somewhat different, because while i really liked The Singles Club, Phonogram 1 was a different, not as good beast, and The Immaterial Girl, is also intiguing, with great art, but honestly, sometimes i feel im not clever enough to like it on a deeper level. Its like i like it enough, and its a mini, so im definitely on board till the end, since is McKelvie and Gillen, and i do love them, but i do feel like im missing the deeps, and only mostly like it on a superficial level. You know, like some commercial indie/pop music.
Comic Book Store Confessional: Whenever I see this comic sitting on the shelf, I sing the title in my head to the tune of Def Leppard's "Photograph". :P
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 01 Oct 2015, 12:32

Started reading Alex + Ada today. At first all I could think is "I'm reading Chobits, except not feeling weird" and then "this is actually pretty good!" I'm only 3 issues in, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
A League of Their Own!

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 05 Oct 2015, 21:11

Just picked up the TMNT: History of the Foot Clan trade. I really do dig IDW's history of these characters as it feels like something for various ages. There are serious enough stories that as an adult I don't feel like I'm reading something "for kids" like the old Archie TMNT but it's not that forced "in your face gory sexual" adult that some creators overdo.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Baltazar

Post by Baltazar » 07 Oct 2015, 03:34

I finished volume 4 of East of West last night. it's very good. can't wait for remaining issues to come out.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 07 Oct 2015, 04:52

I need to catch up on both that and Saga. Comixology is running a sale right now for a bunch of Image titles so I'm good to go. Just need to sit down and read them. Then again I have A LOT of reading to catch up on if I actually want to sit and read everything I've bought from Comixology. It's daunting to say the least.
A League of Their Own!

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 07 Oct 2015, 05:04

Love East of West so much.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 10 Oct 2015, 20:38

Did anyone else read Paper Girls?

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 10 Oct 2015, 22:07

I think I need to. It sounds like it's pretty good.
A League of Their Own!

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 13 Oct 2015, 02:19

I read it, it was actually kind of long for a first issue, but the art, as is usual for Chiang, was amazing, and the las page really intrigued me enough to stay ln board.

Btw, thanks to this sale on Comixology and your recommednagion i bought Alex and (&?) Ada, Lazarus, and Zero. Lets see how they go.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

drzoidberg

Post by drzoidberg » 16 Oct 2015, 01:41

Anyone else reading Midnighter? I want to like it more than I do.