Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

What Books Outside of Marvel Are You Reading?

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other comics from Batman to Hellboy
Blackcyclops

Re: What Books Outside of Marvel Are You Reading?

Post by Blackcyclops » 31 May 2016, 19:00

Currently reading Hunter x Hunter and Boku no Hero Academia...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

grief

Post by grief » 04 Jun 2016, 01:37

Hunter X Hunter is one of my favorite shonen manga.

I recently got the first 8 or so issues of Birthright thanks to a comixology sale. I'm more sold on the artwork than I am on the writing, God that's a good looking book.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Jun 2016, 01:48

I normally don't care too much about art in manga but Hunter x Hunter's art gets sketchy at points, but I know that's because the artist is sick.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

grief

Post by grief » 04 Jun 2016, 03:10

Blackcyclops wrote:I normally don't care too much about art in manga but Hunter x Hunter's art gets sketchy at points, but I know that's because the artist is sick.
While I don't totally discount Togashi's illnesses, his style has always fluctuated from highly detailed and realistic to SUPER sketchy and unfinished. If you read some of his earlier works - Level E or Yu Yu Hakusho - he does the same kind of thing there.

I largely like Hunter X Hunter for the amount of thought and detail that Togashi puts into the world over his art style.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 04 Jun 2016, 03:11

I should give Hunter x Hunter a try. I loved Hakusho but I'm torn at his various hiatuses. I get burnout and with him having a child now things happen and it's clear if you read the end of Hakusho that Togahsi just wanted to end it and rest his brain but I have enough problems waiting on english releases for books. Maybe since this one is so far ahead I can pace myself and not catch up for a while.
Check Out Recruitment Drive: https://www.createspace.com/6339770

D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://soundcloud.com/d20roulette

Pro Wrestling: Everything awesomely camp about super-hero fights, but with aging and music.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Jun 2016, 11:57

I love details (hence why One Piece is my favorite manga...there is SO much world building) but yeah the breaks between issues can be frustrating.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 04 Jun 2016, 16:37

Shaman King had another infamous "late run" breakdown/burnout. Thankfully by the time the later prestige reprints came out, the author had it in him to finish the manga properly. Pity those extra chapters never got an American release. But Scanlations saved the day.

Pro Wrestling: Everything awesomely camp about super-hero fights, but with aging and music.

Jubilee

Post by Jubilee » 06 Jun 2016, 01:08

None of these are by any means new, but I haven't had the time or the circumstances to catch up on too many new reads. Having said that, my recent favorites have been the origin-4th volume of Batwoman, which completely blew me away on a writing level and showed me one of the most relatably flawed and expertly crafted characters I've had the pleasure of reading in Kate Kane. Other than that, Punk Rock Jesus by I think Vertigo (?) hit me on an ex-Catholic level. Surprisingly poignant and fun and the art was just bananas good.

I also picked up Deadly Class and haven't had a chance to read it yet. Anybody have any spoiler-free thoughts to share on that one? It was a recommendation.

grief

Post by grief » 07 Jun 2016, 00:47

RE: Deadly Class - Very much worth reading. I'm a big Remender fan, so I'm slightly biased, but I also find that Deadly is the book of his that appeals the least to me. It's got good character work, all drama, but the art isn't my favorite.

I bought the first 20 issues of New 52 Green Lantern - where Sinestro is a Green Lantern again and then Simon Baz takes over - and I'm five issues in. I still find Hal Jordan to be the least interesting thing of the book, but I do enjoy how terrible he is at being a regular human being. I also enjoy Sinestro forcing him to work alongside him. Sinestro is Magneto to Jordan's Xavier (bad metaphor, maybe more along the lines of Sasuke/Vegeta to Jordan's Naruto/Goku) - I love his haughty, arrogant attitude, I love his disdain but appreciation for Jordan's (reckless and dumb) skills. Sinestro's complicated relationship with Korugar is painful, but thoroughly fascinating.

Also, some of the best coloring in comics, period. I'm looking forward to the secrets of the Indigo Tribe and Baz's plotline.

EDIT: I finished the 20 issues - and holy wow! I'm not a DC fan by a stretch, but I loved this batch of issues. By the end of everything, Johns made me somehow understand why Hal Jordan makes such a good Green Lantern. I still feel the character is pretty one dimensional, but I appreciate that Jordan is such a positive character. No matter what he has to do or what it costs him, he's unafraid to do the Right Thing - and that's awesome. It actually makes me think of MCU Steve Rogers. The reveal of the Indigo Tribe was really neat, it was cool to see Black Hand again (I dug Blackest Night), and I really liked Simon Baz's story. I dislike that he created a mask to hide his identity but failed to cover up his glowing, easily recognizable tattoo, but I loved when the Justice League came after him and he DIDN'T respond by fighting them. I'm almost tempted to buy the new GL series with Baz and Cruz to see how their story progresses. I'm seriously tempted to pick up Johns' runs in physical form because it's just so dang good.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 21 Aug 2016, 01:45

Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything! was tons of fun! It was like the TMNT homage to Doctor Who & Bill & Ted. It even contains a Wyld Stallyns-esque musical number! Nearly living up to its title, the entire spacetime continuum is imperiled as Bebop & Rocksteady have a falling out. Dustin Weaver’s & Ben Bates’s story was more outright humorous the core IDW series, so I could easily see it being adapted to the current TMNT cartoon. Having a few different artists in the same issues was a tad jarring at times. https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... verything/

urrutiap

Post by urrutiap » 11 Oct 2016, 18:03

Not really reading but flipping through its pages though.

I bought the Witchblade Origins trade paperback which i got pretty cheap in a bagged comic book grab bag from Dollar General weeks ago for just 4 bucks. So basically I kinda got the Witchblade Origins trade paperback for free a little bit just way cheaper anyway.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 13 Oct 2016, 23:23

The Dynamite James Bond 007 comics have really hit their stride. Warren Ellis is killing it, and they started a new arc by Andy Diggle.
X-Men 1872: Rogue|Deadpool|Old Man Logan|Moonstar|San Francisco(HQ)|Thunderbird I|Cecilia Reyes|Stacy X|Lady Deathstrike|Mariko Yashida|Scorpion Boy

Exiles: Nocturne|Ultimate Thor|1602 Matthew Murdoch|Kurt Waggoner|Colossus (BotA)|BB-8

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 03 Dec 2016, 15:58

Just read v. 5 and 6 of Saga.

It's still excellent; one of the most creative titles out there and one of the few I'm willing to lay down $$$ for.

But I have to say, it's feeling a bit too cyclical, without clearly defined arcs or any kind of build-up to anything. It's got a soap-opera feel where we're running in place all the time. Sometimes that's because stories are too compressed. Even though he tells us years have passed, and the child-characters age, there's no real sense of time passing. I think even a few time-passes montages might help, or some narration discussing character growth during the years off-panel.

I also feel like the sex is becoming a bit gratuitous. We get it--you're willing to be graphic. This is not really radical or shocking anymore, especially in the wake of Sex Criminals. I think some artful fig-leafing and insinuation instead of all the showing is in order. In the bad-old-days of censorship, there was a real artfulness to depicting sex without showing it. I think it's time that art be rediscovered.

All that said, some of my criticisms might be a consequence of reading in trades instead of monthly. The rhythms might seem less flat if I was reading this episodically. And the sex might be more spaced out. But in a block, those are the impressions I get.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 03 Dec 2016, 16:02

grief wrote:but I appreciate that Jordan is such a positive character. No matter what he has to do or what it costs him, he's unafraid to do the Right Thing - and that's awesome. It actually makes me think of MCU Steve Rogers.
I think this is a good observation, and it's why I've always been drawn to Hal Jordan. I think he's a lot like Matt Murdock too; constantly struggling to do the right thing, even when faced with tragedy. Making human mistakes, and super-human efforts.

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 12 Dec 2016, 15:02

Hey guys, has any of you read Two Brothers by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba, or Killing and Dying by Adrian Tomine? Im thinking of getting both, but id like to now if they are any good.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 04 Jan 2017, 01:15

Granted it's manga but it is comics. And Stan Lee helped write it.

Finished the final volume of Karakuridoji Ultimo. Interesting series, much like Takei's previous work Shaman King it touches a lot on philosophy and what makes us human. I enjoyed it and for those who like action, humor, and discussion of what makes good and evil what they really are with a bit of Buddhist Leanings I'd recommend it.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 06 Feb 2017, 10:57

An oldie but a goodie, over the last year or two so I've been picking up volumes of Gaiman's Sandman. Obviously, we all know the critical plaudits it received both at the time, and ever since, but I'd never delved in. An error of judgement for sure, as it's a fantastic book; love how for chapters at a time we don't see the title character, and how multiple worlds and landscapes are crafted. Just finished volume 5, and rather than binging, I've been picking up subsequent volumes every few months, and it's such a treat to delve back in with each new read.

I can't imagine how this ever worked as an ongoing though, as to me it's a book that rewards patience and commitment, rather than the odd issue here or there. Can only presume that the original run's readership were a loyal bunch!
Exiles Draft
Recruits: Hyperion, Ultimate Hulk, Ultimate Nick Fury, Lady Spider, Earth X Captain America

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 06 Feb 2017, 17:07

What a coincidence, im just in the middle of The Kindly Ones and i completely agree, this is an epic work, and the world just seems so big and busy, like many characters have their own stories going own when you meet them, like there is so much more going on that you wanna know what is up with everybody. I read Sandman a few years back, but know i have bought some collected works, and in a very good spanish translation, and im very pleased with it, it really deserves all the accolades it has received over the years.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 06 Feb 2017, 21:39

Yeah I first collected and read Sandman just in the past decade and it deserves the praise it gets. Very good series.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 07 Feb 2017, 07:41

Sandman is one of the few books that I feel actually deserves all the praise that's heaped upon it.
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent)

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 10 Feb 2017, 03:40

I just reread the second half of Strangers in Paradise, from the "Sanctuary" arc to the end. I can't believe it's been 10 years since SiP ended.

The title definitely meander aimlessly for a while there. There are some false starts, cyclical plot, and quite a bit of self-indulgence. Despite this, the character moments are really still very powerful, and there's a lot of fun in these pages. I still get weepy at the key moments, and the jokes are funny even when you remember them coming pages in advance.

The art is gorgeous, though it becomes more and more generic as time passes. Characters become pretty unrecognizable (for example, Francine's mother goes from frumpy 70-yeal-old to hot 50-year-old, and Katchoo and Casey are indistinguishable in some scenes). But the pages remain some of the most beautiful I've ever seen in a comic.

It's not a perfect comic by any means, but it's marvelous. Any fan of good comics who's not hung-up on genre staples (superheroes, sci-fi, fantasy) should read it. I think Saga owes a lot to SiP, in style and in themes. Vaughn's character work seems to draw a lot on SiP, and the long-form soapy storytelling too.

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 15 Feb 2017, 02:40

Has anyone read The Omega Men by Tom King? I just finished it, and it is very good, I remember reading people and critics raving about it when it first came out, and they were right, it's a good book and it comments on war and politics, through a space opera lens, with Kyle Rayner, the white lantern, at the center of it, and well, all of the characters are complicated and by the end you get the feeling while some people are better than others, war will lead you to extremes, and even if you win, it's never just that.

I really recommend it.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 09 Apr 2017, 22:50

Joe Comics' Darkwing Duck #8 announced it would be going on hiatus, however, some Interwuzzle sources claim the title has been cancelled for low sales. WHAT? How can you ignore the perfect combo of Aaron Sparrow & James Silvani? If you love the cartoon & its other comic incarnations, you need this series to live your best possible life! The biggest change is Drake Mallard swapped his trademark turquoise turtleneck for a collared shirt & tie. Sparrow even has the next two issues written, but is waiting on approval from Joe Books. How are they not promoting this wondrous parody during the superhero boom? So if you’ve not taken my recommendation yet, you need to send Disney & Joe Books a message by buying Darkwing Duck! If your Disney loving pals don’t even know this comic exists, spread the word! Let’s get dangerous! https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... hela-good/

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 21 Apr 2017, 11:24

Psyched for Vol. 7 of Saga. Went by the LCS the other day and they were sold out. Got another shipment Wednesday, so I'm headed over this afternoon.

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 21 Apr 2017, 19:10

I just finished reading Nimona, what a nice book it is.