Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

What Books Outside of Marvel Are You Reading?

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other comics from Batman to Hellboy
Cyke

Re: What Books Outside of Marvel Are You Reading?

Post by Cyke » 25 Oct 2015, 18:51

Lazarus is still amazingly good, the amount of backmatter material being created for it is astonishing and it features one of the best letters pages on the shelf. It's the only comic that I buy in print issues, trades, and HC collection.

And damn it all, Rucka has done it again. In Lazarus #19, they included a preview of his new Image title, Black Magick, with Nicola Scott. The preview does what all great previews should do, entice you to read the entire issue. First issue comes out this Weds, looking forward to reading it now.

grief

Post by grief » 25 Oct 2015, 20:51

I picked up a number of books during Comixology's Image sale, including the first seven issues of Lazarus. I'm super in love with the book. Hopefully this Friday I can pick up another couple of issues.

I am very much looking forward to Black Magick.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 07 Nov 2015, 21:41

It's worth noting that FINALLY, Bill Finger receives proper creator credit in Batman comics:

http://comicsalliance.com/bill-finger-b ... cs-credit/

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Nov 2015, 02:17

I've been wanting to pick it up. Get paid tomorrow so finally will get to read it along with Paper Girls #2
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent)

GangrelMutant Reborn

Post by GangrelMutant Reborn » 14 Nov 2015, 13:01

I've picked up the first 3 TPB volumes of Brit (published by Image and part of the same universe as Invincible) - I'm liking it so far and the supporting cast and villains in this get a good amount of development as well.
_________
Gangrel

"Hobgoblin. You are a wannabe monster. I've spent my entire life slaying real ones. Why do you think they're extinct?"
Hercules - Herc, Fear Itself

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 19 Nov 2015, 20:20

Superman: American Alien #1....a decidedly different take on a young Clark. Dragotta's art was impressive too.

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 23 Nov 2015, 14:43

I agree that American Alien is quite good, i really enjoyed the first issue.

Also, just read Clean Room 1 and 2, and man, Gail Simone is one f#$%ed up lady, thats some twisted, dark stuff going there.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 01 Dec 2015, 10:18

Read the first issue of Rat Queens and I'm not instantly hooked.
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent)

grief

Post by grief » 13 Dec 2015, 22:42

Rat Queens didn't do anything for me either token.

I picked up Street Fighter Unlimited from Udon this weekend. My favorite thing about fighting games is the set-up and character histories and Udon has done a historically good job with the Street Fighter books. The art gets a little wonky in some places, but over all I like this as the next step for Ryu's character, I'm interested in seeing who is in charge of Shadoloo now, and what will become of Chun-li!?!?

The back-up comics were nice additions too.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Dec 2015, 23:14

Rat Queens did improve for me. I'm just about caught up with it now. Wasn't the biggest fan of the Braga issue. I like her as a character and it's cool she's transgender, but I didn't find much value in the story of her background.

Gomurr the Ancient

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 16 Dec 2015, 22:43

Just read the first issue of the new Lucifer series. Was immensely anxious heading in. I loved Mike Carey's Lucifer, and it ended about as well and as conclusively as a series could end. Undoing that to bring the character back, and placing his fascinating and nuanced character in the hands of another seemed like it could go very wrong. I'm extremely pleased to say, though, I really liked this issue. Fantastic art, really good set up, and they did a great job of not dismissing the way Carey's series ended. Really looking forward to the next issue.
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 20 Dec 2015, 20:57

The Pitiful Human-Lizard is fun.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 20 Dec 2015, 21:20

I'll second Lucifer. I'm really looking forward to the new show.

I've also been reading Twilight Children, which is pretty bizarre. It KIND of feels like a lesser version of Rasl. But I do love the artwork. It's almost finished, on issue 3 of a 4 issue series.
X-Men 1872: Rogue|Deadpool|Old Man Logan|Moonstar|San Francisco(HQ)|Thunderbird I|Cecilia Reyes|Stacy X|Lady Deathstrike|Mariko Yashida|Scorpion Boy

Exiles: Nocturne|Ultimate Thor|1602 Matthew Murdoch|Kurt Waggoner|Colossus (BotA)|BB-8

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 06 Mar 2016, 00:57

I'm a bit disappointed Cry Havoc was advertised as a lesbian werewolf tale when it really stars a lesbian barghest. I can't trust Si Spurrier.

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 06 Mar 2016, 02:13

I haven't read the second issue yet, even though I bought it. How is it, besides misleading in their mystical creatures?
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 06 Mar 2016, 11:03

I like it. The problem is that part of it takestakes place in the story's future so it feels spoilery. There's an element that I have concerns with, but I'm not sure if I should be since I haven't seen it develop in context.

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 06 Mar 2016, 12:43

Reading a ton of awesome books from Image and others:

Phonogram
Wicked and Devine
Birthright
Saga

Are the top four on my pile whenever they come out.

Invincible has been for years now the most consistently good Superhero book

grief

Post by grief » 10 Mar 2016, 02:25

I bought the Disney Princesses book today, as I've been a fan of Mabberson's Pocket Princesses on Facebook for awhile (https://www.facebook.com/pocketprincesses/). I loved it. It's basically a series of 3-4 panel comic strips starring the various Disney Princesses, heavily focused on Ariel, Aurora, and Snow White in this issues doing various things. It was like the anime K-On!, but with Disney characters. Very slice of life style. I'm a huge fan of the various Disney films, so this was great.

Crawler

Post by Crawler » 14 Mar 2016, 01:08

I've been reading Tokyo Ghost, The Wicked + The Divine, The Woods, Deadly Class, and Secret Six outside of pretty much everything in-universe that Marvel is publishing.

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 01 Apr 2016, 15:28

It's not current any more but can I suggest (more implore) everyone to go and get Brian Azzarello's run on Wonder Woman.....it is a phenomenal piece of work.

drzoidberg

Post by drzoidberg » 08 Apr 2016, 20:20

Does anyone read Ody-C or Kaptara? I just read their first issues cuz they were 25 cents at the store... Thoughts?

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 09 Apr 2016, 16:40

Ody-C went far over my head and I gave up after the first issue. It was too far out there for me to be interested in.

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 31 May 2016, 15:55

For those who like Cullen Bunn, I suggest trying his latest venture in IDW's relaunch of Micronauts.

The first two issues have been published and so far, it's been quite fun. Bunn has a mixture of classic characters (Acroyear, Biotron, Microtron) along with a new batch of unlikely heroes. Their interactions and dynamic have been entertaining. I like how Bunn uses their reactions so far to unveil the history and nuances of this new galactic civil war without resorting to a massive exposition dump. Baron Karza looks as imposing and deadly as ever.

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 31 May 2016, 17:55

Rereading yet again Rurouni Kenshin. It's just a really good manga.
Check Out Recruitment Drive: https://www.createspace.com/6339770

D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://soundcloud.com/d20roulette

Pro Wrestling: Everything awesomely camp about super-hero fights, but with aging and music.