Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

What Books Outside of Marvel Are You Reading?

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other comics from Batman to Hellboy
tokenBG1009

What Books Outside of Marvel Are You Reading?

Post by tokenBG1009 » 19 Dec 2013, 16:15

There's an entire world of books outside of the Marvel Multiverse. DC, Image, IDW, Dark Horse, and everything else out there. What are you reading and what do you recommend to others?

DC I'm actually not reading anything current as I decided to go back and start at the beginning of the New 52 and quirk my way up to the current titles. This is going to take forever because there are so many books I'm reading and so many issues to get through. I pick up most of these on sale and only have volume 1 of all of them. I figure that will give me enough material to decide if I enjoy the series or not. The titles I am reading though are:

Action Comics, Animal Man, All Star Western, Aquaman, Batgirl, Batman, Batman & Robin, Batwoman, Demon Knights, Earth 2, Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, I, Vampire, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Justice League International, Nightwing, Red Hood & the Outlaws, Suicide Squad, Superboy, Supergirl, Superman, Swamp Thing, Teen Titans, The Flash, and Wonder Woman.

(Christ that's a long list.)
I'm kind of surprised by how much I enjoy the Bat-Family titles with Batwoman and Batman being my favorites. Superman and Action Comics are both good, but I think I'm going to give up on Supergirl and Superboy, both just seem boring. Animal Man and Swamp Thing are both amazing titles and I like how they you're together. Titles that really surprised me were Demon Knights and I, Vampire as well as Justice League Dark. The first two have been fantastic and JLD is better than I expected. JLI is probably going as well but I know they was cancelled so I'm not missing much I guess.

Image titles are probably my favorite of the bunch with Saga and East of West topping the list.
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent)

Blackcyclops

Re: What Books Outside of Marvel Are You Reading?

Post by Blackcyclops » 19 Dec 2013, 16:16

I guess the various threads we had are gone...oh man lol...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 19 Dec 2013, 16:31

Yeah, I gave it a couple days to see if they would come through but they never did.
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent)

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 19 Dec 2013, 16:51

IDW's Ghostbusters. The comic doesn't blow you away but for those who are fans of the meta-franchise it's a lovely thing that beautifully blends the continuity of the movies, cartoon series, recent video game. Heck he's even paid tribute to Extreme Ghostbusters by introducing an alternate version of Kylie Griffin.

Otherwise my manga which current books is Toriko, Ultimo, Psyren, and Rosario+Vampire
Check Out Recruitment Drive: https://www.createspace.com/6339770

D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://soundcloud.com/d20roulette

Pro Wrestling: Everything awesomely camp about super-hero fights, but with aging and music.

marhawkman

Post by marhawkman » 19 Dec 2013, 16:56

I used to read Shonen Jump a lot.

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 19 Dec 2013, 17:01

The monthly Shonen Jump we got here in America was a great gateway drug. Until they started skipping around and devoting more of the magazine to articles about what I could be reading if you'd actually put it into the magazine.

Pro Wrestling: Everything awesomely camp about super-hero fights, but with aging and music.

Polarity

Post by Polarity » 19 Dec 2013, 18:49

As of the moment I'm only getting Saga and the Sandman Overture. DC as a whole isn't piquing too much of my interest, partly because two of my favorites (Donna Troy and Wally West) are nowhere to be found.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 19 Dec 2013, 19:57

Anyone here read Sex Criminals? It's been amazing and so funny!

grief

Post by grief » 19 Dec 2013, 19:59

I'm buying Aphrodite IX from Top Cow, for Sejic's artwork more than anything, and I'm going to start getting Witchblade again because Ron Marz is back on it. Yay!

From DC, I'm now down to Earth 2, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman. I'm not in love with the new writer on Earth 2, but I don't hate the book either, so we'll see where he's going with this book, at least for a bit.

There are a handful of books that I normally get in trades, but that I'm horribly behind on - the Walking Dead, the Sixth Gun, Unwritten, Chew. *sigh*
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

GangrelMutant Reborn

Post by GangrelMutant Reborn » 19 Dec 2013, 20:33

I've been reading Bride of the Water God by Mi-Kyng Yun (I'm a big romantic-softie comedy fan at heart) and have also been rereading Black Lagoon by Rei Hiroe lately (it would be nice if volume 10+ was out yet though)....
_________
Gangrel

"Hobgoblin. You are a wannabe monster. I've spent my entire life slaying real ones. Why do you think they're extinct?"
Hercules - Herc, Fear Itself

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 19 Dec 2013, 21:29

grief wrote:I'm buying Aphrodite IX from Top Cow, for Sejic's artwork more than anything
I think this was my primary reason for getting into Image/Indie titles. The art on them is amazing. I started picking up Witchblade, The Darkness, and Artifacts because of the amazing art. Same with Aphrodite IX. Ten Grand by JMS was another one of those books, but unfortunately the art changed with the latest issue because the original artist wen radio silent. It's still alright, but doesn't really fit the title as well as it did before. I don't hate Marvel art, but I do wonder why they don't have some of the artists from the Indie books.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 19 Dec 2013, 21:55

The old Saga & New 52 threads are still in Shi'ar Space. I think the mods should move them & any other non-Marvel stuff here to give this section a shot in the arm.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 19 Dec 2013, 21:58

I'm still reading Walking Dead and I just picked up Sex Criminals -- it is a good read. I need to catch up on Morning Glories too.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 20 Dec 2013, 00:37

Anybody read any Manga?

My X-Men Draft Picks:

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 20 Dec 2013, 00:51

I keep trying to read Morning Glories but always get distracted, which sucks because it seems like a really good title too.

Manga I'm about to jump into Attack on Titan. It'll be the first manga title I've read since Death Note ended.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 20 Dec 2013, 00:59

Attack on Titan is incredibly addictive.

I've taken the task of reading Detective Conan from the beginning...after two months I'm on issue 300, still got like 600+ to go

My X-Men Draft Picks:

grief

Post by grief » 20 Dec 2013, 01:49

tokenBG1009 wrote:
grief wrote:I'm buying Aphrodite IX from Top Cow, for Sejic's artwork more than anything
I think this was my primary reason for getting into Image/Indie titles. The art on them is amazing. I started picking up Witchblade, The Darkness, and Artifacts because of the amazing art. Same with Aphrodite IX. Ten Grand by JMS was another one of those books, but unfortunately the art changed with the latest issue because the original artist wen radio silent. It's still alright, but doesn't really fit the title as well as it did before. I don't hate Marvel art, but I do wonder why they don't have some of the artists from the Indie books.
I was super diggin' Top Cow when they had Sejic doing the majority of their books - Witchblade, the occasional spin-offs, or Artifacts. Most of the artist they have otherwise do nothing for me I'm afraid. That was one of the major problems I had with the Darkness post-Artifacts, it just didn't look good to me. : (

I don't get much manga anymore, but I have a couple hundred volumes I got when I was REALLY into it. The only book I'm even vaguely interested in continuing to follow right now is Hiro Mashima's Fairy Tail, but I'm something like 12 volumes behind.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 20 Dec 2013, 01:54

I love Fairy Tail grief...I caught up on it pretty quick but I'm a binge reader.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 20 Dec 2013, 01:56

Blackcyclops wrote:Attack on Titan is incredibly addictive.

I've taken the task of reading Detective Conan from the beginning...after two months I'm on issue 300, still got like 600+ to go
That's...a herculean task you've setup for yourself there.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 20 Dec 2013, 02:04

I am BlackCYCLOPS! It's what we do LOL...that and fall in love with telepaths.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 20 Dec 2013, 02:12

Fairy Tail is pretty awesome. Ezra might be in my top five anime/manga females.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 20 Dec 2013, 03:05

I find this hilarious, partly because of the cover (it's the fourth printing of Sex Criminals #1), but also because of the line at the top.

foo895

Post by foo895 » 20 Dec 2013, 20:54

Outside of Marvel I've been reading Walking Dead, Invincible, New 52 Batman, Nightwing and Aquaman. I've also been reading Locke & Key but that's over now. :(

I picked up Black Science #1 a couple of weeks ago and found it to be interesting so I'm giving it a shot and added it to my pull list.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 20 Dec 2013, 22:06

I wasn't sure how I felt about Black Science. May give #2 a shot to really decide.

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 20 Dec 2013, 22:20

I've mostly given up on DC after they cancelled LSH. I still read Flash and when Manapul and Co. take over the reins of Detective Comics, I will check that title.

Otherwise, the majority of non-Marvel books I read are from Valiant Entertainment (VEI). X-O Manowar, Eternal Warrior, Harbinger, Bloodshot and HARD Corps, Archer & Armstrong, Unity. Writers such as Joshua Dysart, Rob Vendetti, Greg Pak, Fred Van Lente, Christos Gage, they are helping forge a rather tight, coherent comic universe aided by amazing artists such as Cary Nord, Clayton Crain, and Pere Perez.