Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Heroes in Crisis

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other comics from Batman to Hellboy
Blackcyclops

Re: Heroes in Crisis

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 Mar 2019, 19:15

Cable wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 18:36
Blackcyclops wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 14:46
If it is Wally, I trust King as a writer. Honestly, he’s probably the best “new” comic writer at either company right now (really any).
Better than Al Ewing? Idk about that.
(Lemire is also very good but his X-Men for whatever reason was not up to par)

Btw I don't read DC, anyone who does how has Bendis been doing over there? Rejuvenated by the change of scenery or still meh?

I only say that because I think paired together Vision and Mister Miracle are the two best series written at the big 2 in two decades or possibly more...

Bendis has been doing pretty good so far...but he’s still doing alot of Avengers disassembled-esque “changing everything” stuff.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » 21 Apr 2019, 18:23

I wish it was Wally

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 24 Apr 2019, 16:06

HiC 8 out today.
My worst fear made alive.

I hate King with all my guts right now.

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 24 Apr 2019, 17:23

Fenix wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 14:09
bamf wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 22:14
I’m going to be REALLY upset if it turns out to be Wally. Just DC dragging him through the mud some more.
If that happens I will quit DC forever.
That would be just too much.
Wally is untouchable. They have done more than enough to mess his character and destroy everything he was for nearly 25 years.
"Does Wally have a single fan left?" "Yes Sir" "Ruin Him More... but be mysterious about it so we can sucker in the sales. Obviously if folks know it is a Wally story they won't buy it because he sucks" "Sir we have sales figures from over a decade of his solo book.." "I said WALLY SUCKS"

Weekly DC Meeting? Or not mean enough?
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » 24 Apr 2019, 19:29

Really good book.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 26 Apr 2019, 14:38

Strongly disagree...that Wally reveal was just a total failure. People got mad about Cap becoming HydraCap but at least Spencer 1)did a good enough setup and rationale (Cap’s whole past was altered) and 2)really dug into his ideology. HydraCap was an indictment of the strong-man authoritarian framework. This book was supposed to be an allegory to mass shootings but by making it an “accident” it sets up a horrible proposition about people who commit such atrocities.

If this was the result of Wally having an actual break because of his loss then cool...I’m okay with that. I wouldn’t feel like it dirted the character...good people break all the time and no one would be as understandable as Wally. But the fact that he covers up the crime by blaming two other people? That makes him a villain and not a break hero...even Jean Loring is wasn’t as bad. At least there her break felt earned and her coverup was just to help herself, not harm others.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 27 Apr 2019, 11:04

Reading a synopsis of this puts a really bad taste in my mouth. I get the grief, the loss, and the trauma that Wally's going through. That all makes sense when you're the only person who remembers your family. I even understand the fear of others misunderstanding that what happened was an accident. I don't understand framing two others just so you'd have time to "do the right thing" when you could have just not done the wrong thing in the first place.

I'd be more okay with the idea if this was revealed in Issue 4 or 5. To have Wally wanting to "atone" for what he's done in the final issue of the story seems inadequate at best and sequel-baiting at worst.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » 27 Apr 2019, 19:51

The book is about Wally mentally breaking down, and trying to cope with the loss of a non existent family.  The cover up is just Wally panic attacking and trying to divert attention away. Understandable for someone who is confused and buying time.

I don't see anything about school shooters in this, school shooters are created by other social problems created by society.

What Jean done was evil, so was Hal but they were breakdowns too. Wally can always fixed by retcons like they were too.

Hydra Cap is just a construct with fake memories in the end in real Steves body.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 Apr 2019, 23:16

King literally said this story was inspired by school shootings...like in actual interviews before it came out. He said it’s a fear he has about his son going to school and he can explore that idea in a comic cause he’s a “crazy” comic writer or something.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 28 Apr 2019, 00:24

Dragonzombie wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 19:51
The book is about Wally mentally breaking down, and trying to cope with the loss of a non existent family.  The cover up is just Wally panic attacking and trying to divert attention away. Understandable for someone who is confused and buying time.

What Jean done was evil, so was Hal but they were breakdowns too. Wally can always fixed by retcons like they were too.

Hydra Cap is just a construct with fake memories in the end in real Steves body.
Okay maybe I read the book wrong but this is what happened to me:
Wally was in grief about having lost so much
He believes that no one else can relate
He finds out all the other heroes can relate (I still don’t know how he gathered “data” but okay) but it overwhelms him...
He loses control of his powers (because of this epiphany he has) and kills everyone in Sanctuary..

Now at this point I can at least stomach the story that is going on...because yes it’s similar to Jean as the Phoenix maybe or really The New Warrior’s situation with Nitro but this where things go off the rails.

Wally then proceeds to stage a crime scene, setup 2 emotionally disturbed people, and then kill his future self (which okay I get it) and we’re supposed to believe he was going to make it right in 5 days.

Sorry, that just describes a sociopath to me...not a broken man. A broken man wouldn’t do the things he did after the fact.

See let’s check out the examples you pointed out.

Jean (pre-retcon) was overwhelmed by the power of “God” and killed billions but then sacrificed herself (and the power of “God”) because she knew it was wrong. She took control and as an act of mercy and strength, ended her own life. That’s a story of a fall but also a person making the greatest sacrifice for everyone. A beautifully tragic story...

Hal (pre-retcon) lost everything and snapped and then had a twisted way of seeing the world. He did some villainous stuff but he at least 1)had noble intentions (he really wanted to save Coast city) and 2)he took responsibility for what he did. It was a fall...

Hydra Cap is straight up and down an alteration to the history of Cap. So this wasn’t Cap breaking or falling, it was his story being re-told through an eye that promotes authoritarianism. And in the end, the good part of Cap (the hope) won out.

Hal always took responsibility for his dark turn. He never put the blame on others.

Jean wasn’t in control but still fought through that and made an actually noble sacrifice. And even still she never placed the blame on other heroes or try to deceive anyone.

And HydraCap wasn’t Steve, so he’s different.

Maybe King has 1 last trick up his sleeve but so far he’s made Wally not just a man who lost control of his power while dealing with psychological problems, he went the extra mile of framing otherS. And that’s really low...I’m not saying he’s irredeemable but damn King lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 30 Apr 2019, 18:01

Blackcyclops wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 00:24
Dragonzombie wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 19:51

Okay maybe I read the book wrong but this is what happened to me:
Wally was in grief about having lost so much
He believes that no one else can relate
He finds out all the other heroes can relate (I still don’t know how he gathered “data” but okay) but it overwhelms him...
He loses control of his powers (because of this epiphany he has) and kills everyone in Sanctuary..

Now at this point I can at least stomach the story that is going on...because yes it’s similar to Jean as the Phoenix maybe or really The New Warrior’s situation with Nitro but this where things go off the rails.

Wally then proceeds to stage a crime scene, setup 2 emotionally disturbed people, and then kill his future self (which okay I get it) and we’re supposed to believe he was going to make it right in 5 days.

Sorry, that just describes a sociopath to me...not a broken man. A broken man wouldn’t do the things he did after the fact.

See let’s check out the examples you pointed out.

Jean (pre-retcon) was overwhelmed by the power of “God” and killed billions but then sacrificed herself (and the power of “God”) because she knew it was wrong. She took control and as an act of mercy and strength, ended her own life. That’s a story of a fall but also a person making the greatest sacrifice for everyone. A beautifully tragic story...

Hal (pre-retcon) lost everything and snapped and then had a twisted way of seeing the world. He did some villainous stuff but he at least 1)had noble intentions (he really wanted to save Coast city) and 2)he took responsibility for what he did. It was a fall...

Hydra Cap is straight up and down an alteration to the history of Cap. So this wasn’t Cap breaking or falling, it was his story being re-told through an eye that promotes authoritarianism. And in the end, the good part of Cap (the hope) won out.

Hal always took responsibility for his dark turn. He never put the blame on others.

Jean wasn’t in control but still fought through that and made an actually noble sacrifice. And even still she never placed the blame on other heroes or try to deceive anyone.

And HydraCap wasn’t Steve, so he’s different.

Maybe King has 1 last trick up his sleeve but so far he’s made Wally not just a man who lost control of his power while dealing with psychological problems, he went the extra mile of framing otherS. And that’s really low...I’m not saying he’s irredeemable but damn King lol
I agree with you totally.
Suffering, having a PSTD, having an accident, even killing his former friends or colleagues in that accident... its all relatable.
Wally has been through a lot, even more since he came back in Rebirth and we can see where this comes from.

This said Wally had one of the most interesting and amazing character arcs.
He was a sidekick who took over after his mentor died and became the Flash for several generations of readers not only rising to the challenge of filling his mentor's shoes but becoming the fastest Flash ever, the most experienced and having a beautiful kind-of happy ending with Linda and his twins.
His role with the Justice League Europe/International/of America set Wally up as the reference of heroics, one of the big 7, able to overcome literally ANYTHING, a loyal friend and colleague, having his own Flash family (something Barry didnt have)...

What King has done here is something different.
As BC pointed out he made Wally a bloody sociopath, a villain pretty much in line with Zoom or Prometheus.
Covering his accident, traveling in time to further cover it instead of using this time travel to prevent the events from happening, framing Booster (his friend) and Harley... this is not something Wally would have ever done.
God, he even exposed his former friends and colleagues to the press... why?

So if King wanted to effectively destroy Wally and complete his character assassination... congrats, he did it.