Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Heroes in Crisis

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other comics from Batman to Hellboy
Wings

Heroes in Crisis

Post by Wings » 26 Sep 2018, 15:31

Spoiler: show
The issue opens on Booster Gold in a diner. Harley Quinn comes in and orders pie. She tells Booster she's always secretly hated pudding. The Trinity make their way towards Sanctuary. Superman comes across the corpses of C-Listers like Hot Spot (new guy) and Blue Jay. Harley starts spouting Freud and then attacks Booster. Booster teleports himself and Harley outside as they struggle before flying them into the air. Superman reaches Sanctuary's entrance and finds the bodies of Wally West/Flash and Roy Harper/Arsenal. Batman and Wonder Woman arrive and Batman states that their hope of redemption has turned into a quest for vengeance like it always does. Booster and Harley crash land into a field after Harley stabs him. As Booster cradles his wound, he accuses Harley of the Sanctuary murders. Harley asks him how cracked he's gone before stating that it was not her but Booster who is responsible...
Mann's art is stunning. Aside from that, this book reminded me of Identity Crisis in all the wrong ways. The idea of a superhero therapy and recovery centre is hella interesting. King wastes that potential in favor of a mass killing. I rolled my eyes at Harley quoting Freud, but he writes the characters fairly well in his trademark 'say a little, say a lot' dialogue style that he's used in Batman and Mr. Miracle. But overall, pretty much tripe for me. Coming out the same day as Doomsday Clock's latest does not help King's case here either.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Fenix

Re: Heroes in Crisis

Post by Fenix » 26 Sep 2018, 19:10

Sorry but either this first issue does a 180º change of direction over the next 6 issues and most of those dead heroes are back alive or Im done with DC, forever.
I just dont get the shock value in this, its just cruel and painful, they keep bringing back Blue jay to kill him as they did prior to nu52 and now again, Wally West is the best Flash ever, two dozen times more interesting than the old plain and boring Barry Allen and he keeps getting the short end of the stick... always.
And Roy Harper has been through HELL and more, first they cut his arm, then they kill his beloved daughter Lian, then they make him an addict again and a villain and then they erase EVERYTHING just to kill him like this?
Sorry but no matter how much I love King or Mann I was choking during the whole issue, it wasnt pure bliss or enjoyable but a big and strong punch in my face, and thats not how I want to feel when Im reading comics.
Last edited by Fenix on 26 Sep 2018, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 26 Sep 2018, 19:15

There's no way this isn't a fake-out or a reset. Time travel, those dead robot whatevers, I think it's going to resolve itself.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 26 Sep 2018, 19:34

Fingers crossed because after Identity Crisis and how horrible it was and seeing nothing good came after that edgy and dark turn I wouldnt like DC following the same steps now they have been doing well with Rebirth, it would just destroy everything they have rebuilt till now for no reason and no possible redeeming step ahead.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 26 Sep 2018, 19:46

Marvel just went through this with Hydra-Cap. I think we should let the storyline unfold before we pull out the pitchforks.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 26 Sep 2018, 19:52

See idk...I don’t hate it as much...yet anyway.

Now mind you, I still love the idea of Hydra-Cap (as a social and political idea it is so relevant and poignant in our world) and really enjoyed Secret empire. And I think if this goes the political route I hope, all this darkness and angst will be worth it.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Wings

Post by Wings » 26 Sep 2018, 19:56

With Booster involved time-travel is practically a given for this story. Definitely willing to see what King does in issue 2, but this issue did not impress for me. Hopefully King digs deeper with the Sanctuary concept.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 27 Sep 2018, 00:17

I think this story needed something else to start unfolding so we could get the hit at the end and feel it properly, like an issue #0 presenting us Sanctuary, telling us exactly whats Sanctuary, who is using it, setting a proper picture of the scene and the characters involved... and then everything happening in issue #1 would made more sense.
Im hoping Booster is the key to solve it, seeing Wally and Roy dead felt horrible and I cant digest it at all. :(

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 Sep 2018, 00:37

Well Sanctuary has already been set up elsewhere...

So while another issue would have been cool, it’s not from out of nowhere.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 27 Sep 2018, 09:41

I dont think so, Its been talked about in Red Hood when Roy rescues Jason and decides to go there for some rehab, he even ask Jason to come with him and Jason declined; also in Flash after losing any chance of recovering his old life and his children as they lose their timetravel ability Wally feels broken and seeking help he decides to go to Sanctuary too.
I havent seen anything but this, if I missed something please let me know so i can read it.

As far as I know the first time we see Sanctuary in any panel is here just to see it filled with bodies, blood and its whole purpose destroyed.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 Sep 2018, 10:37

I didn’t say you actually saw it but that it was already set up and didnt come out of nowhere, which it didn’t.

Off the top of my head it was discussed in green Arrow, Titans, Ravens solo, Batman, Doomsday Clock and Deathstroke...alongside Red Hood and the Outlaws and Flash.

But this is the first issue I can reference where you actually see the full facility, which makes the impact more dramatic.

Again, like Wings (I think), I don’t feel like just the brutality alone is a bad thing. Instead, it’s how King and Mann use jt to touch on the topic of mass violence and trauma. That’s why while I didn’t love it, the fact that this was presented like the aftermath of a mass shooting and not like a big superhero fight is profound and could be impactful.

If King just uses this to tell a story full of shocks then I’ll be disappointed. But just like I felt Spencer said alot about modern fascism, strong men, and heroism in his Hydra-Cap megastory, King can say somethings about trauma and mass violence.

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 27 Sep 2018, 12:15

I love King's writing but he is quite bloody (like Kyle and Yost).
Ill keep an eye in the whole series to have a final opinion, this first issue didnt really sit well to me, it really reminded me of everything I didnt like in Identity Crisis or Blackest Night.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 Sep 2018, 12:31

Blackest Night though was really structured like a horror film, so it was supposed to be horrific and terrifying...

Now Identity crisis was just bad lol

bamf

Post by bamf » 30 Sep 2018, 12:23

Do people really hate Identity Crisis that much? I actually really loved it. It might even be what got me back into comics.
Thunderbolts: Winter Soldier, Agent Venom, Mystique, Arachne, Paladin, Black Cat, Ant-Man, Luke Cage, Kraven

Avengers International: Captain America, Hercules, Storm, Beetle, Doctor Strange, Nightcrawler, Iron Patriot

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 02 Oct 2018, 19:15

bamf wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 12:23
Do people really hate Identity Crisis that much? I actually really loved it. It might even be what got me back into comics.
I liked how Identity Crisis was followed up on more than the actual story. The story itself is kind of awkward and rushed along in places.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 05 Oct 2018, 14:20

Sorry but after reading some follow ups from Heroes in Crisis Im starting to doubt they will undo these deaths.

Didio is back in charge and we all know what that means.
He is responsible for many character assassinations and he is full hands doing it again.
So far from Titans we know:
Nightwing has got a headshot, changing his status quo, relationships and so far even his heroic career and this is still to be seen reflected in Titans.
Kid Flash/Flash/Wally West is dead, and we better get a really good explanation for ANYBODY ever able to shoot him. For God's Sake, he stayed in the JLA for literally decades and now he is being downplayed badly.
Arsenal is dead.
Lilith/Omen and Tempest are just missing, nowhere to be seen... again.
Donna has reverted from coming back to what she was before Nu52 to become a bloodthirsty amazon killer. I cant say Im liking it.
Beast Boy and Raven are both messed up in Titans, both of them having their powers broken as part of the current storyline.

Superboy/Conner has been hinted to return but it never happened yet, however its been announced that he is rejoining his former Young Justice teammates Tim Drake (Red Robin, recently departed from Detective Comics with Spoiler), Cassie Sandsmark (Wonder Girl, missing from... nu52 teen titans) and Bart Allen (Impulse, back in town in Flash some issues ago) along with a Teen Green Lantern, the Wonder Twins and some other characters.

gardien

Post by gardien » 26 Jan 2019, 05:49

I just jumped into this and I'm really enjoying Kings Harley Quinn. Let's see what happens with the Flash and Batman crossover coming up
X-Men Draft Team: M, Danger, Jubilee, Pixie/Nightmare, Lil' Slim (05 Cyclops), Kid Gladiator, Armor, Gardien (Nature Girl), Viewtiful (Eye Boy), Velocidad

"Prepare for tales from the Generation NeXt!!"

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 26 Jan 2019, 14:46

gardien wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 05:49
I just jumped into this and I'm really enjoying Kings Harley Quinn. Let's see what happens with the Flash and Batman crossover coming up
Gardien are you from a place where comics come out later? Cause The Button already happened...unless you mean another Batman/Flash crossover

Wings

Post by Wings » 26 Jan 2019, 18:17

I think there's another upcoming crossover between Flash and Batman, BC.

It's weird. I enjoyed King's character work so far, I think he's got a good handle on most of them. There was a weird blunder with Donna Troy where her whole spiel about Troy is totally inaccurate to make it fit in comparison to her, but aside from that, his handle on the Trinity, Lois, Booster and Blue Beetle, Batgirl and Harley has been pretty solid, it's everything around that that's putting me off. It rubs me up the wrong way, especially since so far it's been 'Which of the mentally troubled people did it?' which isn't a great message to send in a book ostensibly about superheroes dealing with trauma.

That's my feeling as it stands, but King could well turn that on his head in the next few issues.

gardien

Post by gardien » 28 Jan 2019, 13:30

Blackcyclops wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 14:46
gardien wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 05:49
Gardien are you from a place where comics come out later? Cause The Button already happened...unless you mean another Batman/Flash crossover
I think the crossover is coming up around Batman #70. Its supposed to be a Heroes in Crisis tie in story. I think its after this Knightmare arc King is telling now

I was shocked when Harley got Batman with the lasso and Superman keeping that fact the records leacked is what keeps bringing me back. just like with his current Knightmare arc i didn't understand the first two parts of the story but with a single conversation in his third chapter made all the pieces fall in place. I guess what i'm saying is, I love King's writing because even though it throws me for a loop sometime when you step back you can see how grandoise his thinking and planning can be.
X-Men Draft Team: M, Danger, Jubilee, Pixie/Nightmare, Lil' Slim (05 Cyclops), Kid Gladiator, Armor, Gardien (Nature Girl), Viewtiful (Eye Boy), Velocidad

"Prepare for tales from the Generation NeXt!!"

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 28 Feb 2019, 10:43

God, this book continues to go on without giving us any answers hinting other theories which are very likely leaving all of us unsatisfied.

And the death toll seems to grow up...

bamf

Post by bamf » 08 Mar 2019, 22:14

I’m going to be REALLY upset if it turns out to be Wally. Just DC dragging him through the mud some more.
Thunderbolts: Winter Soldier, Agent Venom, Mystique, Arachne, Paladin, Black Cat, Ant-Man, Luke Cage, Kraven

Avengers International: Captain America, Hercules, Storm, Beetle, Doctor Strange, Nightcrawler, Iron Patriot

Fenix

Post by Fenix » 09 Mar 2019, 14:09

bamf wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 22:14
I’m going to be REALLY upset if it turns out to be Wally. Just DC dragging him through the mud some more.
If that happens I will quit DC forever.
That would be just too much.
Wally is untouchable. They have done more than enough to mess his character and destroy everything he was for nearly 25 years.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 09 Mar 2019, 14:46

If it is Wally, I trust King as a writer. Honestly, he’s probably the best “new” comic writer at either company right now (really any).

Cable

Post by Cable » 09 Mar 2019, 18:36

Blackcyclops wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 14:46
If it is Wally, I trust King as a writer. Honestly, he’s probably the best “new” comic writer at either company right now (really any).
Better than Al Ewing? Idk about that.
(Lemire is also very good but his X-Men for whatever reason was not up to par)

Btw I don't read DC, anyone who does how has Bendis been doing over there? Rejuvenated by the change of scenery or still meh?
Best X-Comic last week: Powers of X #2
Best non X-Comic last week: Invaders #8