unstablemolecules.com & uncannyxmen.net are proud to present....mightyavengers.net!

Road To Doomsday Clock

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other comics from Batman to Hellboy
AntiBody

Road To Doomsday Clock

Post by AntiBody » 15 Jan 2018, 21:37

IGN posted this not too long ago - a list of comics they think you should read to prep for Doomsday Clock (which is already in its second issue): http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/01/09/ ... men-sequel

Questions for DC readers: Have you been following the lead-up to Doomsday Clock? What do you think about this list? Is it accurate? Anything you'd add or take out?

I'm kind of interested in the story. I've been following the press but not the comics. Marvel is about 99% of what I read - the only DC stuff I really know are a smattering of the major graphic novels or crossovers (Killing Joke, Red Son, Long Halloween, and so on). Naturally, as just about any longtime fan of the medium, I know Watchmen pretty well. I don't really care a whole lot about DC trying to bring the Watchmen into their main universe (I'm no Watchmen purist), and I'm drawn to the high-concept ideas hinted at in the press I've read.

Just wanted to hear from any folks who know more about DC - what have you thought about the build up to this? Are you interested in the story? What might you recommend to someone who's intrigued but not exactly DC-world-wise?

(Edit: Realizing now this post might not be in the right spot - mods just let me know and I'll delete and repost elsewhere.)
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

Wings

Re: Road To Doomsday Clock

Post by Wings » 16 Jan 2018, 23:18

I was someone who came onboard and started reading DC regularly for the first time with Rebirth, though I'd been following from a distance since before the New 52. I've really enjoyed the Watchmen mystery, and I think there's a worthwhile story to be told by having those characters interact with the heroes of the DC universe.

The Rebirth special by Geoff Johns is likely the best place to jump on from.

If you're looking to read some titles that involve elements of the Rebirth/Doomsday Clock/Watchmen mystery I would heavily recommend Tom King's Batman, James Tynion IV's Detective Comics, Dan Abnett's Titans and Joshua Williamson's Flash. The Superman titles have also had heavy involvement in the build-up. However, each title manages to build elements of the mystery without making you feel like you need to read anything else if you don't want to.

Out of those titles, my favourites have been Detective Comics and Titans.

Detective features a team of Bat-Family members co-lead by Batman and Batwoman, and also featuring Red Robin (Tim Drake), Orphan (Cassandra Cain), Spoiler and Clayface, as well as Azrael and Batwing.

Titans features Nightwing, Donna Troy, Flash (Wally West), Arsenal, Tempest, Omen and Bumblebee.

I would also reccomend Greg Rucka, Liam Sharp and Nicola Scott's run on Wonder Woman, as well as the Apollo and Midnighter miniseries by Steve Orlando. They don't tie in with the Watchmen mystery at all, but they're both really good books.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 17 Jan 2018, 01:48

Wonder Woman is frustrating cause due to the shift between certain writers in the nu52 and Rebirth era...the Bat books have been the most consistent.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 17 Jan 2018, 18:26

This is all great info to work with, thanks guys!

Yeah I guess I've been very casually following the press of the DCU since Flashpoint - fan grumblings about New 52 were what really drew attention to that story for me, and while it did all seem confusing, it seemed to me that something interesting was going on. I'm positive DC had no idea they were going to go down this Watchmen road when New 52 hit, but you all know I like uni-/multiversal stories, and from what I've gathered about DC's past reboot-ish stories, this one seems to be happening more organically and with more patience and thought.

I think I might start with IGN's list and see where it takes me. I think I should be fine, I do this every now and then. I would never have gotten into Hickman's FF run unless I'd wanted to find out what happened to Black Bolt after War Of Kings and got just the FF issues with him in it, only to realize that some greater story was being told there and that I should probably just check the whole thing out. Now look at me, hahaha :lol:

Other suggestions and advice are welcome too! Throw it all at me!
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 19 Jan 2018, 16:43

Wings wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 23:18
If you're looking to read some titles that involve elements of the Rebirth/Doomsday Clock/Watchmen mystery I would heavily recommend Tom King's Batman, James Tynion IV's Detective Comics, Dan Abnett's Titans and Joshua Williamson's Flash. The Superman titles have also had heavy involvement in the build-up. However, each title manages to build elements of the mystery without making you feel like you need to read anything else if you don't want to.
^This mainly (as well as the title suggestions too).

I still read a decent chunk of DC and IMHO, Rebirth has been a staggering success for them, mainly for injecting back into the DCU those elements of legacy that had sparkled through DC titles from the late 90s onward, yet combining that with the more recent trappings of the Nu52.

I also love the fact that they have had a slow build-up to this event instead of forcing it out of the gate right after Rebirth. This allowed for the mystery and characterization to build up over time. And as Wings said, there is no definite reading order to this mystery. Each character, Batman, Superman, Flash, etc encounter their own separate piece of the puzzle but viewing all the revealed pieces overall does enhance the scale of the event. (Thankfully, editorial have included footnotes in these titles in case you are interested in reading of something alluded to in another title).

For me though, the highlights so far have been:

Rebirth Special #1
The Button (a wonderful crossover between Batman and Flash)
Superman Reborn
The Oz Effect
Lonely Place of Living (from Detective Comics)
Verda Gildr- 'Become Worthy'

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 19 Jan 2018, 19:29

The Batman books are basically the Spidey books of the DCU to be...I usually love them all and their consistency is typically above the other family of books (looking at you Flash and Titans books prior to Titans coming out).

Plus Batman’s stuff mixes in heavy continuity stuff with stuff that basically kind of ignores it lol
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 19 Jan 2018, 19:56

Its not at all on the list/directly tied to Doomsday Clock but:

Batman, Super-sons, teen titans, Nightwing, Redhood and the outlaws are the best DC is publishing imo

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » 28 Jan 2018, 05:59

They're reinserting old canon but in the frame of new 52. So no full de-boot back to pre flashpoint. I only ever cared about pre crisis(below 1985) nu52 and elseworlds tbh.