Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

European Comics

In this section you can share your thoughts about the released issues of any other comics from Batman to Hellboy
_Rick_

European Comics

Post by _Rick_ » 11 Sep 2017, 21:56

Is anyone around here familiar with European comics?

When I was a kid my parents gave me a couple of the more popular classics. I mostly read Tintin and Asterix (really liked the casual mix of action with historical/cultural jokes) but I also tried the likes of Rantanplan and Corto Maltese (never got into these as much thought). I slowly dropped them after getting really into Marvel and DC with my friends who weren't reading anything else.

Since I've been a bit unsatisfied with the current offer from Marvel, I was wondering if I should just pick up a couple of Euro comics as a nice change of pace. Not sure what though as I'm completely out of the loop. Any recomendations? What have you guys read?

ultimatekey

Re: European Comics

Post by ultimatekey » 12 Sep 2017, 03:10

Excalibur ;)
Captain Britain and MI-13 ;)

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 12 Sep 2017, 22:39

Pretty silver age, but ecopies of some of the Valerian books are super cheap on Amazon. They're pretty fun in a Tintin meets Steranko kind of way.

grief

Post by grief » 12 Sep 2017, 23:06

Marvel actually published some stuff from Soliel a few years back and I read Ythaq, Spin Angels, and...I think it was Dragon Guard? Marvel's Soliel stuff is available on comiXology, in English (if that matters) if you're interested. I really dug Ythaq - it's a sci-fantasy story set in space, on the strange world of Ythaq, and it's one part comedy, one part drama, one part world building ridiculousness. I loved the artwork.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 13 Sep 2017, 02:32

Looking at Grief's response reminded me that I should have mentioned the language requirements in the OP. I imagine most suggestions will be either in English or French. Obviously English is not a problem. Spanish and Portuguese would also be ok. However, it has been years since I last read something in French and my profiency at the language is quite embarassing at the moment. I suppose that it could be a good opportunity to improve, but it would have to be something with simple dialogue.
ultimatekey wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 03:10
Excalibur ;)
Captain Britain and MI-13 ;)
:lol: Read the first, not sure if I'd like the second since Captain Britain was pretty much my least favorite character in Excalibur ;)
Nu-D wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 22:39
Pretty silver age, but ecopies of some of the Valerian books are super cheap on Amazon. They're pretty fun in a Tintin meets Steranko kind of way.
I'll probably check this out. Thanks. I heard the movie wasn't great but people seemed to like the world. I usually don't mind the silver age aspect too much.
grief wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 23:06
Marvel actually published some stuff from Soliel a few years back and I read Ythaq, Spin Angels, and...I think it was Dragon Guard? Marvel's Soliel stuff is available on comiXology, in English (if that matters) if you're interested. I really dug Ythaq - it's a sci-fantasy story set in space, on the strange world of Ythaq, and it's one part comedy, one part drama, one part world building ridiculousness. I loved the artwork.
Seems interesting. The artwork does look nice. One thing that I really apreciate about most Euro comics is that they are usually more consistent with art since they tend to maintain the same artist throughout as much as possible. It really gives each series a unique feel.
From what I can tell Marvel only translated some of it though. Maybe I should try this one in French then.

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 13 Sep 2017, 17:17

There's 2000AD, and with the new Judge Dredd tv series coming could be a good time to check it out.

Also Rebellion are reprinting old classics which are good, the 2nd volume of Misty reprints comes out in November which includes "The Sentinels" where a girl finds a portal to a world where Nazis won the war, a favourite story of mine. I got "The Leopard of Lime Street" which is basically a Spiderman story but still fun and great art. They also have a Scream-Misty halloween special coming out.
Last edited by Magik84 on 13 Oct 2017, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Avengers Draft: Ms Marvel, Kate Bishop, Chase Stein, Arsenic and Old Lace, Lightspeed, Butterball, Komodo, Reptil, Mettle
Uncanny Avengers Draft: Quicksilver, Iceman, Rachel Grey, Silk, Pete Wisdom, Finesse, Nocturne, Stature, Tigra, Kid Gladiator

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 14 Sep 2017, 10:12

Magik84 wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 17:17
Also Rebellion are reprinting old classics which are good, the 2nd volume of Misty reprints comes out in November which includes "The Sentinels" where a girl finds a portal to a world where Nazis won the war, a favourite story of mine. I got "The Leopard of Lime Street" which is basically a Spiderman story but still fun and great art. They also have a Scream-Misty halloween special coming out.
I saw these heavily promoted by Comic Heroes mag - were these ordered online, or did you get these in your usual comic store?

In terms of other European comics, I enjoyed Snow Piercer volumes 1 and 2, which I believe was originally written in French, but I finished the translated version as my French skills would be rusty, if they weren't almost completely non-existant.
X-Men Draft 2.0
Recruits: X-man, Rachel Grey, Legion, Spiral, Deathlok Prime, Jimmy Hudson, Widget, Angel (Time-Displaced), Gaia, Shard
Base: District X

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 14 Sep 2017, 14:02

I got the first Misty volume at my local comic shop (Forbidden Planet), I ended up ordering the Leopard of Lime Street off amazon.
Avengers Draft: Ms Marvel, Kate Bishop, Chase Stein, Arsenic and Old Lace, Lightspeed, Butterball, Komodo, Reptil, Mettle
Uncanny Avengers Draft: Quicksilver, Iceman, Rachel Grey, Silk, Pete Wisdom, Finesse, Nocturne, Stature, Tigra, Kid Gladiator

grief

Post by grief » 14 Sep 2017, 21:55

_Rick_ wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 02:32
Seems interesting. The artwork does look nice. One thing that I really apreciate about most Euro comics is that they are usually more consistent with art since they tend to maintain the same artist throughout as much as possible. It really gives each series a unique feel.
From what I can tell Marvel only translated some of it though. Maybe I should try this one in French then.
My understanding is that European comics are produced on larger format paper on a longer time budget - their stories tend to come out every 3-6 months as opposed to every month and their original pages are like the size of movie posters.

I remembered the other book I got - Ekho, through comiXology. It's five volumes, so not too long.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 26 Sep 2017, 15:25

Just as a pointer, 2000AD are running a graphic novel weekly (or fortnightly) collection of some of their greatest stories at a reduced rate. First was a collect of the Slaine Horned God epic (with beautiful painted art by Simon Bisley) for a couple of quid as a first issue, and second up was the Ballad of Halo Jones by everyone's favourite slightly mad pagan snake-god worshipper and comics literary genius, Alan Moore, which I think was about £7.00. As usual with these things, the price goes up by the third issue, but to get the first two volumes at a steal of under a tenner is well worth checking out.
X-Men Draft 2.0
Recruits: X-man, Rachel Grey, Legion, Spiral, Deathlok Prime, Jimmy Hudson, Widget, Angel (Time-Displaced), Gaia, Shard
Base: District X